Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Geokinesis posted:

Has anyone tried running a Muslim Trade Republic?

I can't imagine them working very well together at all.

Muslim Republics may hold all holding types without penalty(Cities from Republic, Castle from Republic, Temple from Muslim). This feels like it should be a strong thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Asmodai_00 posted:

This is why pagans are awesome:

You can always just change the leaders yourself. If your vassal levies get big enough you can just forgo raising your personal levies and your character won't even leave his throne.

Sometimes I forget and then they die. :smith:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Sometimes I forget and then they die. :smith:

Another reason pagans are better:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
How likely are leaders even to get killed or hurt or captured in war? It almost never seems to happen for me, on either side of the fighting.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm just picturing your King doing, like bookkeeping at his desk, looking up, and seeing he's in the middle of a giant battlefield. "What the?"

I know you can create Merchant Republics as a ruler by handing off your counties to mayors, but is there a way to ruler design the new patrician? Your Merchant Republic just isn't the same if it's not led by a genius gay viking berserker.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Flesnolk posted:

How likely are leaders even to get killed or hurt or captured in war? It almost never seems to happen for me, on either side of the fighting.

Depends on what kind of wars you fight. 90% of the time I outnumber my opponent at least 2x, and I've only been randomly wounded from those encounters at worst. I frequently kill enemy leaders in those situations though. I can't say if it's causation or just coincidence however.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I've having a problem reforming the Norse faith. I have the piety and personally control three holy sites, but still cannot form the Fylkate. The tooltip is saying I do not have the religion "Norse", despite being that obviously not being the case. Could the issue be the Norse faith's low moral authority? And if so, how should I fix that?

Running CK2Plus, with the fix patch.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

axeil posted:

So I've built a rather nice Empire of Carpathia. It contains Hungary, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Poland, Bohemia, Crimea, Ruthenia, Pomerania and Constantinople so I think I'm doing rather well. And I've got a great Emperor on the throne that's really wise and well-liked by most his vassals. Despite that, he got assassinated in 1150 by half his King and Grand Mayor vassals. He had no living male heirs so unfortunately his insane, possessed, gay, syphilitic grand-daughter of 15 is on the throne. Oh and she's a zealous Catholic in a realm made up almost entirely of reformed Tengri. And the assassins are now agitating for independence.

:suicide: My empire isn't going to last is it?

I'm wondering if the AI realized how precarious my succession was and assassinated the previous emperor so they'd have an easier time becoming independent. That'd be really impressive.

On a more amusing note, the Byzantine Empire has switched to Elective which I've never seen happen before.

I actually try to switch to elective when playing Byzantine, funny enough.

Warning: You might be in for a poo poo time against a Elective Byzantine. With the born in the purple trait, the elective byzantine empire is really really stable. Any elected emperor is something like +20 to all of his relations as a result.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Flesnolk posted:

I'd say it's uncommon, but it does happen. Not quite as often as i'd like though, but that's just because i'm a crazy person who likes making heads roll. After all, I usually am going to war not against foreign enemies, but against some rebel scum who I intend to put to the sword anyway at the end of the war. Alas, tyranny hits really suck. :(

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Asmodai_00 posted:

Another reason pagans are better:

I went back to playing a Catholic and I miss all the :black101: awesome, fun Norse features.

We really are getting to the point where we need a cool Catholic DLC to enhance the 'base' game.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
So I'm Orthodox and the Byzantines went Sunni. I've taken Constantinople but there's no Ecumenical Patriarch anymore. How do I restore this title without becoming a theocracy?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

HenessyHero posted:

So I'm Orthodox and the Byzantines went Sunni. I've taken Constantinople but there's no Ecumenical Patriarch anymore. How do I restore this title without becoming a theocracy?
Open the console and give_title to someone other than yourself?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So out of curiosity, do elected successors face any bonuses or reduced penalties to opinion and such on taking the throne? Given they're the guy the vassals voted for.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

HenessyHero posted:

In theory if you are Catholic you shouldn't want to: The Bishop there would become part of a slowly restored Catholic pentarchy and increase your Religious Authority.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flesnolk posted:

So out of curiosity, do elected successors face any bonuses or reduced penalties to opinion and such on taking the throne? Given they're the guy the vassals voted for.

You get the usual "Short reign" penalty, as well as "Title Claimant" -20 and "Elective Monarchy" -10 (I think) On pretenders and close relatives.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So basically, "this is the guy we all decided should rule next" doesn't matter jack poo poo. Oh well, would've been cool.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

I've having a problem reforming the Norse faith. I have the piety and personally control three holy sites, but still cannot form the Fylkate. The tooltip is saying I do not have the religion "Norse", despite being that obviously not being the case. Could the issue be the Norse faith's low moral authority? And if so, how should I fix that?

If low Moral Authority is the problem, that can be fixed with Holy Wars and County conquests of other religions. Quick way is to declare half a dozen Conquests at once and then declare more once those have been won. Keep doing that until the Norse MA is high enough. Also, look around for any other Norse Holy Wars that are going on and ask to join in if they're heading south - that should avoid the penalty for a failed Holy War.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh my God, I just had the most beautifully epic turn of events.

Gigantic, terrifying Francia, its borders stretching from the Pyrennees to Hungary, the boot of Italy to Brittany, was becoming a problem for King Constantine II the Great of Scotland. Its utter dominanation of mainland Europe under the Karling dynasty was seriously damaging the interests of his Ivaring kin. Despite interfering in several independence revolts under the banner of the traitors, precious little ground had been chipped from the mighty monolith. Something had to be done, and so a plan was hatched.

Out of nowhere, the perfect moment arose. The Kaiser died, leaving the throne to his disfigured, excommunicated, morally dubious female cousin. The nobles of Francia wanted nothing to do with her, and every petty lord with a claim and an army rose in revolt, hoping to secure the Imperial throne for himself. King Constantine realised that he had to react to this swiftly, before the Frankish realm could recover under a more honourable ruler. Wasting no time, he requested license to invade the realm of the dire excommunicate from the Pope, who did not hesitate in granting this rare boon. Amassing all ten thousand fighting men of his kingdom, and hiring a few thousand detestable mercenaries with the gold reserves saved for this very day, the King of Scotland set out to sea, determined to break asunder Frankish hegemony in Europe with only a single strike force of fifteen thousand men. Great liturgies were held across Scotland, pleading that God allow victory before Francia recovered and flexed its full military might - well in excess of a hundred thousand men.

The men disembarked near the foothills of the Pyrennes, meeting only scattered, feeble resistance amongst the burning farmsteads and vineyards. Marching their way toward the Frankish capital of Perigord, sieging castles, cities and cathedrals as they went, they encountered only a single moderately sized Frankish army which dissolved before the inspirational leadership of Constantine - a useful quality left over from his days spend crusading in vain in the Holy Land. Before long, all opposition crumbled and, with half of the great Frankish Empire still completely unaware that they were being invaded, the King of Scotland sat upon the Imperial Throne of Francia.

Rapidly, envoys from the provinces came bearing gifts and offering terms of peace, shrinking before Emperor Constantine the Conqueror's greatness. Governing this vast territory was not, however, part of the plan. Offical documents were sent out to the farthest corners of the realm, declaring the dissolution of the Frankish state. Those within the de jure Imperial territory were deprived of their titles and provoked as much as was possible. When the inevitable declarations of war arrived, the Emperor stepped down without a word, returning to his homeland victorious. Here, he used the cover of the shattered husk of what was once Francia to declare his own independence. Clearly percieving the threat Constantine posed, an Imperial army led by the new Kaiser, Adalbert, landed upon the shores of Gowrie itself, where by the grace of God it fell directly into the arms of a waiting Scottish force. Adalbert, captured, accepted the independence of the Caledonia and returned to his burning realm in shame. The Frankish realm had lost half of its territory overnight, its remainder even more shattered than ever before. It would be long before any semblance of stability would return - the Lord had certainly stripped the Franks of their status as his chosen people.

King Constantine the Conqueror died peacefully in bed at the grand old age of 91. He spoke little of his adventures in Francia, of his short time sat upon Charlemagne's throne. However he had smashed Karling power in Europe not by direct force, but by cunning, and this made his victory all the sweeter. His legacy would not be forgotten - a stone marking his final resting place in the palace of Scone to this day reads, 'Emperor Constantine I of Francia, second of his name to occupy the throne of Scotland, is buried here. Let his noble liberation of those oppressed and subjugated by the loathsome Franks never be forgotten. In God's name.'

-----

Yeah, I got a little carried away there. It was probably the coolest thing I've done in this game to date though, and I'm ashamed to admit I'm nearing the 450 hours mark by this point.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 5, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Broken Cog posted:

You get the usual "Short reign" penalty, as well as "Title Claimant" -20 and "Elective Monarchy" -10 (I think) On pretenders and close relatives.

Huh? This is wrong. You get the short reign penalty, your brothers/sisters inherit a claim, but you get +20 opinion for elective monarchy! Your reward for using elective monarchy is the massive opinion bonus you get, which you get at all times and not just shortly after you were elected.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

We have a 'forbid councilor from leading armies', now I want a 'forbid King from leading armies' button on his sheet.

So many dead kings... :negative:

Sorry no Kings should lead armies always, even if they suck at it, especially if they suck at it.
Also if you are Norse and your player character is not leading an army you should just stop playing.

Anyone know what triggers Berserker? I got it once as Ivar the Boneless on my first experiment with the Oldgods and then in my current game I got it as Fairhairs son but other than that I havent seen it.

Another question has anyone faced a Blot as a victim? Like is there a little text event if your character is sacrificed at a Blot kinda like if you are castrated or blinded in prison, or do you just die without any fuss?

Oh and can the Jomsvikings be converted to Reformed Norse at all? They showed up in my game after I reformed but they are Old Norse. The thing that sucks is that they are the only landed Old Norse characters in the game. Can I cheat them into reformed Norse and if I do will that make them a reformed Norse Holy Order?

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 5, 2013

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Torrannor posted:

Huh? This is wrong. You get the short reign penalty, your brothers/sisters inherit a claim, but you get +20 opinion for elective monarchy! Your reward for using elective monarchy is the massive opinion bonus you get, which you get at all times and not just shortly after you were elected.

Yeah, pretty much everyone else other than the closest pretenders get a huge boost. I should have specified.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

HenessyHero posted:

I had this happen in a recent Amalfi game, and the only way that I was able to get the Ecumenical Patriarch back was by usurping the empire from them.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
I've been thinking about save games I would like to import into EUIV and I want challenging, slow game. Right now I'm thinking of ruler-designer-ing a suomenusko merchant republic and forming "The Most Serene Republic of Novgorod" that would cover the de jure empire of Russia. Any other bright ideas?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

I've been thinking about save games I would like to import into EUIV and I want challenging, slow game. Right now I'm thinking of ruler-designer-ing a suomenusko merchant republic and forming "The Most Serene Republic of Novgorod" that would cover the de jure empire of Russia. Any other bright ideas?

In my current CK2 -> EUIV game I'm playing the, surprisingly fun, Reformed Norse Kingdom of Crimea! Started out as Dyre the Stranger (a semi-historical ruler of Kiev) and over time, and successful counter-conquests launched by the Slavs, I have been forced to base myself around the Black Sea.

God knows what I'll do when the Mongols show up. :ohdear:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My latest game was cut short in the fourth year. My character was happily conquering Norway when one of his new vassals decided he wasn't gonna put up with this poo poo and challenged me to a fight for the throne. He was going on 60 with 14 martial and I was a spry young fella in his 20's with 24 martial.

I died :smith:

I suppose I shouldn't have taken his hot young wife as my concubine when I conquered him.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
My current plan to convert to EU4 is to make a strong, unified Mali empire with as many upgraded holdings as possible as well as enabling Sunset Invasion in CK2 then play some Eastern European nation in EU4 trying to keep all the non-whites at bay. Basically playing as a Paradox forums poster

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Demiurge4 posted:

My latest game was cut short in the fourth year. My character was happily conquering Norway when one of his new vassals decided he wasn't gonna put up with this poo poo and challenged me to a fight for the throne. He was going on 60 with 14 martial and I was a spry young fella in his 20's with 24 martial.

I died :smith:

That's nothing. I had a successful ruler who finally had a son at the ripe old age of 61. The kid looked alright, he had the "Quick" trait and I was pretty happy with the heir. Well the old man popped off and I ran the kingdom as a kid and it was okay for awhile. That is until my guardian thought I was too slovenly and forced me to, and I'm not kidding here, climb up on the keep roof to clean the birdshit off. Of course I fell off and died. Now luckily my (much) older sister was matrilineally married and had a son of her own at this point, so succession fell to him (pun intended).

Of course, he's not "Quick". In fact, he's an imbecile. He dies of some disease pretty young, too and succession goes on to his mother, the first kid's older sister.

So I think, loving great, the vassals are going to tear me a new one. An unmarried (her husband had died in battle) ruler with no male heir. It turned out alright, though. She ruled for over 35 years and earned more points than any of my other rulers. I remarried her and she had a son to pass her titles on to and while he had stats that were all below 10, his diplomacy was 20, so at least people didn't want to murder him all day every day.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Overwined posted:

That's nothing. I had a successful ruler who finally had a son at the ripe old age of 61. The kid looked alright, he had the "Quick" trait and I was pretty happy with the heir. Well the old man popped off and I ran the kingdom as a kid and it was okay for awhile. That is until my guardian thought I was too slovenly and forced me to, and I'm not kidding here, climb up on the keep roof to clean the birdshit off. Of course I fell off and died. Now luckily my (much) older sister was matrilineally married and had a son of her own at this point, so succession fell to him (pun intended).

Of course, he's not "Quick". In fact, he's an imbecile. He dies of some disease pretty young, too and succession goes on to his mother, the first kid's older sister.

So I think, loving great, the vassals are going to tear me a new one. An unmarried (her husband had died in battle) ruler with no male heir. It turned out alright, though. She ruled for over 35 years and earned more points than any of my other rulers. I remarried her and she had a son to pass her titles on to and while he had stats that were all below 10, his diplomacy was 20, so at least people didn't want to murder him all day every day.

Did you murder that guardian who killed your good heir, at least?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Yureina posted:

Did you murder that guardian who killed your good heir, at least?

I did! I forgot to mention that as soon as the first kid died, I got the popup and it was that same dude saying "Hello, I am your Reagent. Nothing bad will happen to you. I promise!"

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SpRahl posted:

Oh and can the Jomsvikings be converted to Reformed Norse at all? They showed up in my game after I reformed but they are Old Norse. The thing that sucks is that they are the only landed Old Norse characters in the game. Can I cheat them into reformed Norse and if I do will that make them a reformed Norse Holy Order?

Are you patched? I think that bug has been fixed since 1.101, and it's up to 1.103 by now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh my God, I just had the most beautifully epic turn of events.

--TL;DR Broke Karling's iron grip on Western Europe--

Yeah, I got a little carried away there. It was probably the coolest thing I've done in this game to date though, and I'm ashamed to admit I'm nearing the 450 hours mark by this point.

The Karling's in my Old God game were several independent kingdoms that were heavily intermarried; you could not declare any sort of war without having three other kings waiting to back them up. Instead of battering my way into western Europe--possible except the resulting war would have stripped Brittania's families of their able-bodied men--I instead realized that every single one of them had rather sullen vassals. Not enough to rebel, but given a nudge they would gladly raise up their weapons to take their anger out on their leader. What's more, each kingdom had a child heir; a couple even had female child heirs!

So I came as Loki would, sly words to convince these Europeans that if we simply removed the head from underneath the crown, they would have freer reign on their own lands. And if words weren't enough, a purse of gold waved in front of their greedy eyes would take care of the doubters. A rash of noble death came to pass and with it large tracts of land rebelled against their masters.

However, since these rebels did not have the protection of the Karling family, their Norse conspirator unsurprisingly attacked them while they were distracted. Through these machinations began the end for the Karlings.

(Also West Francia turned Lollard after about 20 years from that point and Italy started snapping chunks out of them)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Leb posted:

The problem with the Karens is that even when you do manage to survive the initial 100 years (swearing fealty and eating from the inside has been key for me), the Seljuk steamroller comes along and flattens you anyway.

jpmeyer posted:

I never really had much of a problem with the Seljuks when I played. They would win the initial invasion of Turkestan entirely through logistics (30k doomstack spawns on my territory and immediately assaults it, while my 45k in men can't get there in time), and then once the truce expired I'd have my retinues lined up so that I'd be the one able to get the jump on them this time.

I just had the Seljuks invade me in my Karen game and the trick is to raise your troops immediately and make 15k doomstacks around Khiva. By the time you get there, they'll have taken enough of Khiva to get around 50% warscore. It helps to have one doomstack take out the mercs that spawn in Esfahan. If you outnumber the Seljuks by more that double, feel free to attack them in open ground with your retinue stack, otherwise try to draw them into the mountains because they will wreck your day with their high quality troops.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

SeaTard posted:

Are you patched? I think that bug has been fixed since 1.101, and it's up to 1.103 by now.

Its patched although Im pretty sure the game my savegame is based off of was started before the patch so that might be it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
My current game started as the Duke of Verona and Carthina. 5 Heinrich's later, and we're independent, German Kings of Lombardy. Time to set my sights on the rest of Italy :black101:

Orv
May 4, 2011
:stare: Why the hell can this uppity, excommunicated peasant with a single county raise 4120 troops. Dublin, in case that matters.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Small revolters will often get a pile of bonus troops via event to give them a fighting change against their rulers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Even well after the revolt is finished? That's gonna end up being a real problem.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The men bonded during their time as soldiers and it'd just be too sad to part company. :(

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Man, playing in the middle east really hammers home how much Paradox's consistent depiction of the caspian sea being in the wrong place fucks with geography in the area. Almost every paradox game has the caspian sea sitting way way south of where it should be, It's so massively distorted it's insane.

I mean, try drawing modern borders on the map:

The two red lines are the iran-turkey border and they don't even almost touch because the Caspian Sea is way too far south. It massively messes up the geography of the Caucasus as a result with very weird positonings for Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia and some cities end up in pretty drat crazy positions as you go further south. It's like if the Alps were on the same latitude as Paris or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So with the last iteration of CK2+ out, can someone repost the landed_titles file with the added cultural names?

• Locked thread