Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Both versions also have a pretty terrible port of Megaman 7, but apparently the PS2's version is worse for this. There's a bunch of audio and speed issues, and the credits sequence has been modified.

One advantage of the PS2 version is that you get rearranged music in MM1-6 but it's nothing really special, just the tracks from the PSX re-releases(Which is pretty much what you're playing in MMAC anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The button placement on the GCN MM Collection didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Unlike a Mario game, I don't need to hold down a button to run around the stages, so it was easier to adapt. That's just me, though.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Dabir posted:

So a few bugfixes, an extra feature and some much-needed easiness increase! It's only minor so far, but I've been making a fair few suggestions in the forums, and you probably should too if there's anything you can think of that I've missed. As is common for the internet, it would probably just end up as a hugbox there otherwise.

How receptive are they to criticism? Are they in the way-too-loving-large 'all criticism on the internet is trolling' camp? Christ, I hope not.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

How receptive are they to criticism? Are they in the way-too-loving-large 'all criticism on the internet is trolling' camp? Christ, I hope not.

The guy that made the thing posted:

Thanks for your feedback, some of it made me laugh with your style of writing it.

I will be going over your feedback tonight and try my best to work on it all.

As for Saw Man's stage having that part removed, we already have plans to substantially shorten the stages to be more classic Mega Man length, and that second screen of Saw Man's stage is slated to be removed.

Doesn't seem like it. This is also fantastic news because gently caress that second screen in saw man's stage.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Smoke posted:

Both versions also have a pretty terrible port of Megaman 7, but apparently the PS2's version is worse for this. There's a bunch of audio and speed issues, and the credits sequence has been modified.
MM8 in the collection also has some weird sound stuff going on. The music in some areas starts off in a different section of the track than the original game (best example I can think of is Clown Man's stage) and the sound balance is tweaked to the point where large enemy explosions are a little louder, at least to me they did seem that way.

It sucks that the port of 8 on there isn't the Saturn one with Cut Man and Wood Man as hidden bosses.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!

Zeether posted:

MM8 in the collection also has some weird sound stuff going on. The music in some areas starts off in a different section of the track than the original game (best example I can think of is Clown Man's stage) and the sound balance is tweaked to the point where large enemy explosions are a little louder, at least to me they did seem that way.

It sucks that the port of 8 on there isn't the Saturn one with Cut Man and Wood Man as hidden bosses.

They also screwed up the Robot Master voices. It's a shame because Aqua Man is so funny.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I remember there was going to be an anniversary collection for the GBA, with all the gameboy megaman games in full color. Sadly I think it was never released, that would have been kickin' rad.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Blackheart posted:

I remember there was going to be an anniversary collection for the GBA, with all the gameboy megaman games in full color. Sadly I think it was never released, that would have been kickin' rad.

That's something I'd love to see Capcom do, just revamp the old Game Boy games a little and bring them up to NES-ish standard. Better music, maybe redesign some of the less polished stages, up the screen size obviously. If it wasn't Capcom we were talking about it'd be a really cheap job and they could make some fair dosh off of it.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
And V1.1.0 of MMU is also out

MegaPhilX posted:

Megaman Unlimited version 1.1.0 is now available for download! (Includes Easy Mode)
http://megaphilx.com/?page_id=1003

So, what's the big deal? Here are the details:
- Added Easy Mode and Insta-Kill Mode
- Misc level modifications based on your feedback
- Added checkpoints before Castle bosses in all difficulty
- Any button can now skip cutscenes
- Added possibility to exit from completed stage
- Fixed gamepads relying on the ‘hat’ for DPad (Xbox360, others)
- Fixed glitch allowing megaman to zip through walls using certain platforms (Glue, others)
- Fixed JetMan staying stuck in the ground occasionally
- Fixed issue when pausing during a sceen transition
- Allow the player to save after completing the game

What are the new modes?:

EASY - Play an easier version of the game.
- Enemies deal less damage.
- Some enemies are less aggressive.
- Final stages have an extra checkpoint.
- Platforms are placed to help you in more difficult areas.

INSTA-DEATH - Play the game in original difficulty but with special rules.
- Megaman dies instantly.
- You can't use Energy Tanks.
I haven't played it yet though, so no idea what the minor modifications are.

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, Mega Man Mania was sadly cancelled. :( I think there's a fan project going on that aims to do the same, though.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Good, although I don't know who in the gently caress was asking for an Insta-death mode.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nerdbot posted:

That's something I'd love to see Capcom do, just revamp the old Game Boy games a little and bring them up to NES-ish standard. Better music, maybe redesign some of the less polished stages, up the screen size obviously. If it wasn't Capcom we were talking about it'd be a really cheap job and they could make some fair dosh off of it.
Their source code was deleted ages ago, unfortunately.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

What is it about source control Japanese developers don't like?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

quakster posted:

Their source code was deleted ages ago, unfortunately.

That's the reason it was canceled. The gently caress up of a company they contracted lost the source code.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AHungryRobot posted:

Good, although I don't know who in the gently caress was asking for an Insta-death mode.

I thought half of the game was already insta-death mode.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

That's the reason it was canceled. The gently caress up of a company they contracted lost the source code.

How does this even happen? Capcom had the code, and they handed it off, and the other company lost it? Neither side of this transaction ever heard of backups? Was the source code hand written on paper or what?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

AHungryRobot posted:

I'm curious about how the final boss will work in that mode.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Light Gun Man posted:

How does this even happen? Capcom had the code, and they handed it off, and the other company lost it? Neither side of this transaction ever heard of backups? Was the source code hand written on paper or what?
This was back when floppies were still hot poo poo.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Easy mode is definitely an improvement. I've already beat 3 bosses, beating my personal best of 0.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

quakster posted:

This was back when floppies were still hot poo poo.

If Capcom had stored it on floppies the whole time and realized they had been wiped, it's somewhat more understandable. If they seriously HAD it and then handed it off during the ps2/gamecube/xbox era, they really should have made backups first.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm curious about how the final boss will work in that mode.

My name is Violen, and I have a Mega Problem.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Violen posted:

Ooh. Starting to think MMU could benefit from including the charge shot. Have they said why they didn't include it?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Spiritual successor to MM3, I believe was the reason given.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Ephraim225 posted:

Ooh. Starting to think MMU could benefit from including the charge shot. Have they said why they didn't include it?

Arcademia interview posted:

“Personally, Mega Man 2 I’m a little bit tired of,” Poulin said. “I decided to go more for a Mega Man 3 feel because I thought it was a really cool game. I think the charge shot kind of breaks the whole – you know, it renders the special weapons a little bit useless, and you always hear that charging sound all the time, and I always thought it was way better balanced with just the small shots and the special weapons, then you will end up using the special weapons way more. And I think that’s why Mega Man 5 and 6 in particular are not very good.”
Honestly I have to agree with this. Charge is a little bit TOO powerful

^e:f;b

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
MM5 and 6 are great though :confused:

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Honestly I have to agree with this. Charge is a little bit TOO powerful

^e:f;b

Mega Mans 5 and 6 have more problems than just "NOT A CHARGE SHOT", but I get what he says about the sfx overriding the music and removing the agency of the Robot Masters' weapons. It's actually very similar to the argument made against Super Castlevania 4, though the motive for upgrading the buster isn't the same as upgrading the whip and graphics (technology marching on).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_PjqYQi5E

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I got a lot of mileage out of the weapons in MM6. 5 on the other hand...meh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you are making a game, and don't like the fact that the buster charging goes over the music... don't make it go over the music maybe? Play the sound effect until it is fully charged and then have it kind of increase in pitch to become inaudible, and let the graphics continue to show your shot is charged.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Violen posted:

Whilst very impressive, I don't think that's the final boss he meant.

Zero

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If charge shot is too powerful, just give bosses more health and make the weaknesses more important. Problem solved. That's just an issue of balancing, they're not fundamentally exclusive. And the charge shot sound effect is an easy fix too; just turn it off, or give an option to turn it off. The changing sprites tell you all you really need to know, the sound was just there to be helpful in addition. Just add an option to the menu for "charge sound" and problem solved.

I can understand making a game without charge shot, but it shouldn't be those reasons. It should be the primary difference in game feel; do you want people firing shots off whenever they can, jumping and attacking, or do you want them playing kinda defensively and then getting in a backstab charge shot when they can? Ideally you'd balance it so both playstyles were valid and equally challenging, but that takes some serious playtesting.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Zaphod42 posted:

If charge shot is too powerful, just give bosses more health and make the weaknesses more important. Problem solved.
It's not the weaknesses, dude; everyone already uses the weapons for weaknesses. It's the actual in-level usage that needs to be addressed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Beamed posted:

It's not the weaknesses, dude; everyone already uses the weapons for weaknesses. It's the actual in-level usage that needs to be addressed.
Charge shot still only fires forwards and takes a while to get going.

I think designing special weapons that offer both of these simple things the charge cannot do isn't too hard a task, and automatically leads to them being useful in-level.

Charge shot is great because I hate HP sponge enemies and it makes them go by quicker, especially if it's an enemy with say 4 HP, which you can three-HP charge shot immediately upon seeing and then squeeze another shot in. NEVER STOP. Gameplay flow!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Zaphod42 posted:

And the charge shot sound effect is an easy fix too; just turn it off, or give an option to turn it off. The changing sprites tell you all you really need to know, the sound was just there to be helpful in addition. Just add an option to the menu for "charge sound" and problem solved.

Just make the sound stop once it's charged. That's what Proto Man did in MM9 and 10. It was great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dabir posted:

Whilst very impressive, I don't think that's the final boss he meant.

Zero

I'm afraid that's the one. Still, seeing that from Violen is a treat.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm afraid that's the one. Still, seeing that from Violen is a treat.

Isn't that a scripted fight where can't die? If so it should play out the same except it would go by a lot faster.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Isn't that a scripted fight where can't die? If so it should play out the same except it would go by a lot faster.

It's made harder by changing Zero's damage to 1hp :unsmigghh:

Although that wily machine fight looks like the most tedious bullshit possible.

edit: should probably spoiler that.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
What is even the point of that fight? Yeah, I get it, Zero's really strong and unbeatable or whatever. But if you're gonna make me fight Zero, at least make it a proper boss fight! :mad:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

senae posted:

Although that wily machine fight looks like the most tedious bullshit possible.

Besides being a tear-inducingly dull fight, they didn't even reach backwards far enough, because Wily Saucer from 7 exists.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well, whatever he did to Unlimited, it seems to have broken something with my controller. Pretty funny to have Megaman just flat gently caress stop moving forward right underneath an instant death trap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

And V1.1.0 of MMU is also out

I haven't played it yet though, so no idea what the minor modifications are.

Those are all welcome changes, but I really wish he'd removed insta-kill moves from the bosses that have them as well. That poo poo just seems wildly out of place in a Mega Man game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

What is even the point of that fight? Yeah, I get it, Zero's really strong and unbeatable or whatever. But if you're gonna make me fight Zero, at least make it a proper boss fight! :mad:

From the videos I've seen of the game this was an issue I had too. It'd be one thing if it wasn't THE final fight in the game, and it works as a little callback to the Vile fight, down to the lack of a healthbar. Unwinnable fights aren't without purpose, but they should never be the last fight in your video game. It really should've had a first form you could actually beat before he powers up and gets unbeatable.