Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That trio of Orange Bulborbs behind the bamboo gate in the Twilight River is just mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just beat the final boss. Spoilers obviously.

When I saw it's turkey/humanoid form I instantly thought of the water wraith (and goolix during the chase). So when I saw "Plasma Wraith" I was both happy and loving horrified.

Part of me really wanted Olimar to go "Yeah me and Louie killed it's baby so it kidnapped me or something" but, typical pikmin fashion left that open ended. Super creeped out that it apparently came back to life and watched the three take off with Olimar and Louie.

Which speaking of, is Louie supposed to be evil now or what? He did kinda condemn the three to die when he stole /everything/ and ran.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ohhh man I just did the fourth boss and couldn't get Louie and the fruit back in time so I had to abandon him. Alph's log for this situation is hilarious.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Not Pikmin 3 but Pikmin related, anyone know where I can find a copy of the first game without spending fifty bucks? I know the Wii control one was 20 bucks for awhile, but now it sells for 40+ dollars on Amazon.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Hey guys, don't detonate a bomb rock in a group of bomb rocks. Yeah it'll kill any enemies in the area, but that big of a boom will wipe out all the Pikmin in your group :v:

I just got the last fruits, I missed one Secret File that I'm going to go back for real quick, then on to the last boss. I can't find a list of regular Data Files anywhere so I'm not sure if I missed any of those.

E: Managed to find the last few data files I was missing, now all that's left is getting all of the files in the final area (and actually fighting the final boss I guess..)

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 5, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I don't think anything will be more satisfying than collecting a bunch of fruit in a day, retrying the day, and then collecting that same fruit in less than half the time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

Ohhh man I just did the fourth boss and couldn't get Louie and the fruit back in time so I had to abandon him. Alph's log for this situation is hilarious.

Dare spoiling it for me :v:? I'm super curious now because I got it early in the day.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well it just so happens that I took a Miiverse screenshot, so here you go.

Warning, this link contains some plot spoilers for people not up to the 4th area!

http://i.imgur.com/TtvaI1K.jpg

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

That's pretty awesome. The journal entries are definitely one of the best parts of the game. It's awesome how Brittany can go from :3: to :smithicide: in one entry.

So my first round with the final boss went pretty horribly. Lost 84 Pikmin, but I got it a little below half health.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it just me, or do the Pikmin have a little more personality to them? This game is so great so far.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

I've only played the first two days but holy poo poo is this game charming. :3:

I'm just dreading the moment where I'm going to lose Pikmin in battle.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Well, I beat the final boss with these stats (I guess spoilers in this picture for all the fruits)

http://i.imgur.com/Bdun9k3.jpg

The single player was awesome and makes me really nope there's a Pikmin 4! I guess I'll jump into Mission Mode now though to see what it's all about.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Just beat the last boss. My final stats: (spoilers, obviously)

http://i.imgur.com/hSKF31I.jpg

I gotta say, that was some MAJOR sequel bait in the final text crawl. I wonder if the secret code has anything to do with another sequel? Man, I hope so. :dance:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 6, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got a gold medal on the first treasure mission!

I would've got a platinum if I'd had 30 more seconds. :negative:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How are the multiplayer modes?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Wicked Wall posted:

To get up there, you have to take your captains to the area where the berry plant is as well as the swooping snitchbugs. Then, if you throw 2 captains and all your pikmin onto that plateau (there's a stick the pikmin can construct in the corner to climb up) you can go to the tip of the area and throw them onto a series of bounce mushrooms to get them across. Aside from some fruit there's the aforementioned haybale which works like a bridge, it'll make that area accessible via a hay ramp. Oh, also Fiery Blowhogs so be careful when throwing your pikmin over as they like to auto-dig/carry the nearby fruit..

Oh, and to use Ultra Spicy Spray from red nectar, press up on the control pad.

Thanks man, I have no idea why I didn't think of tossing the other Captains over to the Snitchbugs. I'm retarded.

Regy Rusty posted:

I had to do the same thing, I was afraid that the body of the boss was going to be gone the next day but everything was still there thankfully.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is it just me, or do the Pikmin have a little more personality to them? This game is so great so far.

I love that if you toss one up on a high ledge it'll turn around, look down, and wave at you. :3:

sigher fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 6, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

I had to do the same thing, I was afraid that the body of the boss was going to be gone the next day but everything was still there thankfully.

Oh wow, seriously? The reason that happened to me in the first place was that I devoted all my fastest flower guys to take the boss's body back because I thought it would disappear. It barely made it back to the Onion in time and the rest of the stuff lagged.

Also I just got up to the fifth boss and holy loving poo poo all my pikmin are dead and I had to run but he's on the ropes. I'll get him next time!!!

Next playthrough in the future I'm going to figure out how to do this guy properly and not get murdered.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 6, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I've been playing this game for the past two days and its been great, theres also something interesting to note about.

the olimar journal notes, I honestly think Nintendo is implying this is the pikmin 3 DLC, the treasure collecting with Olimar and Louie trying to get the S.S Dolphin back, I also really like how they're pretty much like the pikmin 2 notes complete with thinking about his family

big spoilers obviously.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can someone explain how the food supply/game overs/day mission limit/everything related works. I'm a bit hazy on how the requirements and limits all interplay.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can someone explain how the food supply/game overs/day mission limit/everything related works. I'm a bit hazy on how the requirements and limits all interplay.

If you finish a day without any juice reserves you lose. So if at the end of one day, you drink your last bit of juice, you must collect 1 unit's worth of juice the next day or else it's game over.

If you collect fruit obsessively like I do this will never even come close to happening as you'll quickly build up a nice buffer and can then theoretically spend many days just messing around.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Not Pikmin 3 but Pikmin related, anyone know where I can find a copy of the first game without spending fifty bucks? I know the Wii control one was 20 bucks for awhile, but now it sells for 40+ dollars on Amazon.

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. Cheapest I found it was for $25 used at Gamestop's website

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stuck on my gathering in Tropical Wilds. There's a hanging fruit and a tree stump near the beach. There's this strange brown box thing but I have no idea what it does, and that tree trunk with the fruit in it is over a cliff so I can't throw captains inside.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Regy Rusty posted:

If you finish a day without any juice reserves you lose. So if at the end of one day, you drink your last bit of juice, you must collect 1 unit's worth of juice the next day or else it's game over.

If you collect fruit obsessively like I do this will never even come close to happening as you'll quickly build up a nice buffer and can then theoretically spend many days just messing around.

By collecting all the fruit you will have collected enough juice to last you around 100 days total.
Yeah, just because this game imposes a time limit doesn't mean it's a strict time limit. :sweatdrop:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Stuck on my gathering in Tropical Wilds. There's a hanging fruit and a tree stump near the beach. There's this strange brown box thing but I have no idea what it does, and that tree trunk with the fruit in it is over a cliff so I can't throw captains inside.

Near the bugs that throw rocks there should be a little alcove partially obscured by a tree root. From there you should be able to just barely throw your yellow Pikmin onto a bouncy mushroom. That should be enough to get you started. As for the starfruit, one of your types of pikmin should be able to reach it, and it's not yellows. It took me a while to get that one, too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dijon du jour has given you the exact answer but if you want something a bit vaguer, try exploring the area with the armored cannon beetle larvae that shoots rocks down at you.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

MissileWaster posted:

Hey guys, don't detonate a bomb rock in a group of bomb rocks. Yeah it'll kill any enemies in the area, but that big of a boom will wipe out all the Pikmin in your group :v:

I just got the last fruits, I missed one Secret File that I'm going to go back for real quick, then on to the last boss. I can't find a list of regular Data Files anywhere so I'm not sure if I missed any of those.

E: Managed to find the last few data files I was missing, now all that's left is getting all of the files in the final area (and actually fighting the final boss I guess..)

Do all the sections of the log fill up completely (ie 30 slots in a section therefore 30 files in that section) or do some of them remain empty?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Multiplayer is local only? Nooooooooo

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I ran out of time to bring all the pieces of watermelon back at the end of one day, after doing the boss in the sand so had to call the Pikmin off and leave some pieces on the path up to the boss area. When I went back the next day one piece had been dropped in a place where the Pikmin could no longer get around it to carry it. If I had to go back a day I would have had to do the boss again :( but luckily the biggest piece of watermelon was still at the boss area and, in bringing it back, it pushed the stuck piece and I could get it back. So I was lucky. But maybe be careful dropping things in that area.

Those feel like dumb things to spoiler but never mind.

I still need to get around to finishing the game, I am on the last boss bit now but life has become all busy. The saddest story.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Does anyone know if you keep the yellow data files you collect if you go back in time, or do you have to recollect them? I finished 100% in 35 days and ma keen to go back and improve my time, but would rather not have to go grab every file again.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Accursed Walrus posted:

Do all the sections of the log fill up completely (ie 30 slots in a section therefore 30 files in that section) or do some of them remain empty?

Every one of them is filled. There's 4 Olimar Logs, 2 Controls, 4 Indigenous Species, and 2 Secret Files in the final area.

I just got Platinum on the first treasure mission and holy gently caress that was intense. I wound up only having 4 seconds left :byodood:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

George Lazenby posted:

Does anyone know if you keep the yellow data files you collect if you go back in time, or do you have to recollect them? I finished 100% in 35 days and ma keen to go back and improve my time, but would rather not have to go grab every file again.

Going back to an earlier day removes all progress made on future days, you're effectively changing the future so you'll have to grab the logs again.

MissileWaster posted:

I just got Platinum on the first treasure mission and holy gently caress that was intense. I wound up only having 4 seconds left :byodood:

Yeah there is no margin for error whatsoever if you're shooting for platinum. I just about got gold on the second one on my 3rd attempt. drat it felt nice having purple Pikmin back though, you really do kinda need to immediately know what the purples and whites can do right away because the game ain't telling you. The way I figure you need to use them is use the purple's strength to get the early fruit while you send the blues and yellows to knock down fences/dig up fruit and have the whites constantly working on the nuggets to maximise their speed.

Pixeltendo posted:

I've been playing this game for the past two days and its been great, theres also something interesting to note about.

the olimar journal notes, I honestly think Nintendo is implying this is the pikmin 3 DLC, the treasure collecting with Olimar and Louie trying to get the S.S Dolphin back, I also really like how they're pretty much like the pikmin 2 notes complete with thinking about his family

big spoilers obviously.

I think it's meant to be that Pikmin 2+3 are taking place pretty much simultaniously, but that runs the risk of creating a Pikmin timeline and no-one wants to start that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Things never to do: give a little victory handpump with your left hand when that final piece of fruit makes it in a second before the deadline. :negative:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Things never to do: give a little victory handpump with your left hand when that final piece of fruit makes it in a second before the deadline. :negative:

Ahaha I only realised this was a thing when I was doing science to figure out why I kept dismissing my squad whenever I went to lie down.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

njsykora posted:

I think it's meant to be that Pikmin 2+3 are taking place pretty much simultaniously, but that runs the risk of creating a Pikmin timeline and no-one wants to start that.

Events in this game that I'm assuming you haven't seen yet make it clear that that is definitely not the case.

e: So I went back to my completed save file to see how many files I'd collected and I'm only missing two indigenous life files. I know that one is in the final boss arena, but the other one could be anywhere. :negative:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 6, 2013

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Is it normal to take more than 2 days after first accessing Frozen Tundra to complete the bridge and get Brittany back to the ship? I can't seem to find all the necessary shards for the life of me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Behonkiss posted:

Is it normal to take more than 2 days after first accessing Frozen Tundra to complete the bridge and get Brittany back to the ship? I can't seem to find all the necessary shards for the life of me.

I found them all the same day but it's understandable if you take longer

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I got very close to doing it in one, but ran out of time. Just keep looking around and you'll find the shards you need. A little hint for something that stumped me for a while: remember you can swap Pikmin in both directions.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

E: ^^^^^^^^
I knew you could do that but it still took me like two days. It didn't help that I kept exploring rather than actively searching for the fragments v:v:v

dijon du jour posted:

Events in this game that I'm assuming you haven't seen yet make it clear that that is definitely not the case.

e: So I went back to my completed save file to see how many files I'd collected and I'm only missing two indigenous life files. I know that one is in the final boss arena, but the other one could be anywhere. :negative:

The ones I was missing were Bulborb 2 and the Bug-Eyed thing. Bulborb 2 is in the water near where you would first see a Bulborb, the Bug-Eyed one was in a dirt patch in an area that has one of them and some of the small ones

Keep in mind each boss has 2 (the final boss has 4), usually you'll find one very close to where you first encounter a given enemy.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Behonkiss posted:

It took me three days but I felt really bad for leaving Brittany so hungry. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright I finally need some help. I'm missing one last piece of fruit and I can't figure out where it actually is.

It's in the Tropical Wilds off in some isolated area in between the Shaggy Long Legs arena and the path to the sand boss. If I move the camera near there, it goes into what looks like a cave, but I can't find the entrance.

Edit: Duh as soon as I post this I notice that there's an arrow pointing under the armored cannon beetle larva's mountain and there's a cave in the water.

Also looks like I'm missing 2 area hints and 2 secret files that aren't in the final boss area. No idea where those could be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here is a guide to the locations of the secret files, if you need any help finding them.

Would someone mind posting the enemies that have indigenous life files? If I know which one I'm missing I should be able to figure out where it is.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 6, 2013

• Locked thread