Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Oblique Angle posted:

It's a shame Bandai stopped making them.

Samuel Decal makes some really good custom ones at least. Check out his facebook if you want any, the page I linked is outdated.

Also from what I hear the mkII 2.0 has some really cool mechanics going on in the frame whenever the legs move. It's actually kind of a shame the armor covers it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oblique Angle posted:

My shading attempts don't show up very well in the picture; it looks better where it's at right now on my desk. The flash kinda messes with the colors, but without it the camera won't auto-focus and the pictures are blurry as hell.

Get a flashlight or turn the room lights on, half press the shutter release to lock focus, turn off lights, leave flash off. Focus without the extra light.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Midjack posted:

Get a flashlight or turn the room lights on, half press the shutter release to lock focus, turn off lights, leave flash off. Focus without the extra light.

Well, I'm not sure if my camera can actually do that, but I fiddled with the focus settings and found that it was optimized for shots at greater than 80 cm. :downs: So after fixing that and setting the camera to center focus only, this is the result with no flash.

Qutie the improvement, no? The shading still doesn't show up very well though; maybe I need different lights or something. At any rate, it's time for another project - I'm thinking either MG Aegis or MG Wing, but I have MG Epyon glaring at me from the floor, so...

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That looks real nice! I seriously love the Mk. II and the 2.0 is a great kit. Has anyone built the RG?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bought this because it comes with a scale cow: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RHKZLU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never owned nor attempted to build a scale model before. :ohdear:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

That looks real nice! I seriously love the Mk. II and the 2.0 is a great kit. Has anyone built the RG?

The RG mkII is straight up the best Real Grade has to offer right now. There are no giant backpacks to screw up the balance like the Seed kits, unlike the Zeta there isn't a transformation to screw everything up, and it isn't the First RG Ever like the RX-78-2 so the designers already have a good grasp of what works.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've never owned nor attempted to build a scale model before. :ohdear:

On one hand, you're in for a treat since the Turn A is a quality MG. On the other hand you're kind of missing out because the Turn A's inner frame is purposefully weird as hell. If you haven't built other MGs before, the effect is kind of lost on you.

Anyways tips:

0) The manual is going to be entirely in japanese, but there are tons of very clear pictures so you'll be fine.
1) Don't bother trying to get the forehead decal in place, just paint it in if you really want it that much.
2) I hope you have a mechanical pencil or a gundam marker ready because drat there is a lot of panel lining on this kit.
3) The chest blasters are a nightmare to open up, so consider just shoving the cow in there. :v:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 5, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mr. stefan posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a gold plastic figure, toy, or kit that didnt look like complete rear end out of the box. Something about that color just does not work with injected plastic.
Could be worse, Transformers fans have Gold Plastic Syndrome to deal with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arquinsiel posted:

Could be worse, Transformers fans have Gold Plastic Syndrome to deal with.

I feel compelled to post this now to show just how much it suuuuuucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjAUN5Ssj8

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
NOOOOO RANDY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's okay. Randy, in fact, sucks.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So a while back Taurus Oxford posted a bit about how he got the Armed Armor De shields for his MG FA Unicorn, and how they looked, and he was kind enough to link the seller to me. Taurus wanted to go for a more minimalist approach, but I decided to go full-on Katoki, and bought a full set of waterslide decals to poo poo up my shiny new shields. Here's how one turned out:

A bit too much? (Finishing spray hasn't been applied to the addons yet, so it looks weird compared to the shield under it.)

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

What do you guys use to store your tools, paints, pieces, etc?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Captain Invictus posted:

It's okay. Randy, in fact, sucks.
Still man, no 'bot deserves to go out like that :smith:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

S-Alpha posted:

So a while back Taurus Oxford posted a bit about how he got the Armed Armor De shields for his MG FA Unicorn, and how they looked, and he was kind enough to link the seller to me. Taurus wanted to go for a more minimalist approach, but I decided to go full-on Katoki, and bought a full set of waterslide decals to poo poo up my shiny new shields. Here's how one turned out:

A bit too much? (Finishing spray hasn't been applied to the addons yet, so it looks weird compared to the shield under it.)

I can definitely appreciate your patience for applying all those. It looks really good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

neurotech posted:

I kept everything in a MG box for a while, but then I found a big styrofoam block with impressions in it perfect for storing stuff.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

neurotech posted:

I have these little plastic drawers I got from Target. I use them for lego stuff too.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
What would you guys recommend to fix the terrible "gold plastic" in something like an MG strike freedom sans a compressor and paint gun?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Spray cans I suppose. You could even spray them on the runner. The best solution is not buying a strike freedom, of course.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Vahtooch posted:

What would you guys recommend to fix the terrible "gold plastic" in something like an MG strike freedom sans a compressor and paint gun?

Either handpaint some gold on or use a gold Gundam marker. Or just buy the Full Burst Mode edition, which has gold chromed parts in place of gold-colored plastic in all the parts where the frame is visible.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

muike posted:

Spray cans I suppose. You could even spray them on the runner. The best solution is not buying a strike freedom, of course.

Yeah, now I know that... I've had it sitting on my shelf for years. I really want an Aegis/Epyon but won't buy it until I build or sell this one.

edit: Any aussie goons got a burning desire for one?

Vahtooch fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 6, 2013

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I'm an Aussie goon...

What sort of price? Is it one of these?

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN948083

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

neurotech posted:

I'm an Aussie goon...

What sort of price? Is it one of these?

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN948083

It is. How does 45 + shipping sound?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S-Alpha posted:

A bit too much?

I can still see white plastic, so you haven't gone overboard.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Just finished this. Overall super fun kit, but the hands were poorly done and 2/3s of them were half filled in by plastic, making the hand plate unable to click in to the back of the hand. Now I just have RG zeta to work on.

With big brother Sazabi

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 6, 2013

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm pretty anxious about painting the frame for the MG Sinanju because I'm worried about everything getting chipped and clipping the parts at an angle so everything can come apart and that's just the outer pieces, let alone all the parts that rub together! Any tips?

Has anyone seen much of the RX-78-2 3.0 that's coming out soonish?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

EthanSteele posted:

I'm pretty anxious about painting the frame for the MG Sinanju because I'm worried about everything getting chipped and clipping the parts at an angle so everything can come apart and that's just the outer pieces, let alone all the parts that rub together! Any tips?

Has anyone seen much of the RX-78-2 3.0 that's coming out soonish?

According to AmiAmi, it's already out. I'd give it a few days before the reviews and photos start coming out.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mecha Gojira posted:

According to AmiAmi, it's already out. I'd give it a few days before the reviews and photos start coming out.

There's at least half a dozen reviews of the 3.0 on GundamGuy's blog: http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Came out today/yesterday/August 8th. Waiting on HLJ to mark it and the Ball ver Ka as in stock so I can get them headed my way along with the Sinanju Stein and Geara Doga.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BlitzBlast posted:

On one hand, you're in for a treat since the Turn A is a quality MG. On the other hand you're kind of missing out because the Turn A's inner frame is purposefully weird as hell. If you haven't built other MGs before, the effect is kind of lost on you.

Anyways tips:

0) The manual is going to be entirely in japanese, but there are tons of very clear pictures so you'll be fine.
1) Don't bother trying to get the forehead decal in place, just paint it in if you really want it that much.
2) I hope you have a mechanical pencil or a gundam marker ready because drat there is a lot of panel lining on this kit.
3) The chest blasters are a nightmare to open up, so consider just shoving the cow in there. :v:

Cheers for the advice, I ordered some Gundam markers and looked into a few other things to make it look slightly less :effort: not sure I'm up to using actual paint on something though.

As a side note, I really shouldn't have looked at HobbyJapan, because then I wouldn't have realised how much cheaper ordering stuff from there is compared to buying kits from Amazon, at least in the UK.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sakurazuka posted:

Cheers for the advice, I ordered some Gundam markers and looked into a few other things to make it look slightly less :effort: not sure I'm up to using actual paint on something though.

As a side note, I really shouldn't have looked at HobbyJapan, because then I wouldn't have realised how much cheaper ordering stuff from there is compared to buying kits from Amazon, at least in the UK.

Yeah HLJ and AmiAmi are way better than Amazon because you're bypassing a lot of the upcharge from importers.

Anyway HLJ just charged me for my RX-78 3.0 (i didn't realize i had that on autopay...) so I guess I'll be getting it soon!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
drat! I've ordered the extra weapon set because I have a soft spot for hammer and double bazooka action. I'll grab the actual Gundam later, but it's lookin pretty fancy!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wanted a second bazooka too, but not 20 bucks want. I'll grab a 2.0 eventually, and they share the same core fighter and bazooka and most of the beam rifle, so I'll have two then.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
China Gunpla Update!

Nothing major has come up since PG Strike Freedom, but there's some interesting stuff:

Weapon upgrade set for MG Tallgeese, featured from the Manga:

Silver Castle's Iron Man mark VII model kit:

1/100 "Kastrysha" LED Gatling Guns:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151749486206897.1073741850.382602901896&type=3

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

Uh, honestly? I'm not really sure why you'd want to paint the frame in the first place for all of those reasons you stated. I guess you'll just have to hope your topcoat is durable enough to protect your paint?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

muike posted:

I wanted a second bazooka too, but not 20 bucks want. I'll grab a 2.0 eventually, and they share the same core fighter and bazooka and most of the beam rifle, so I'll have two then.

I've been looking at the Full Armour Gundam 2.0 and the fact it doesn't come with a big shield is criminal so I'm probably going to end up getting another 2.0 as well, this is what I get for being a stupid idiot.

BlitzBlast posted:

Uh, honestly? I'm not really sure why you'd want to paint the frame in the first place for all of those reasons you stated. I guess you'll just have to hope your topcoat is durable enough to protect your paint?

Yeah I think I might just do a matte topcoat to take the plastic sheen off a little rather than a full on painting of the frame.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I love FAGs. Note the 2.0 version relies on adhesive pads to apply the armor. I don't know about the older ones.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's only one MG Full Armor Gundam, and yeah it's pretty lame. The adhesive pads don't hold up well to age, the FA equipment restricts the RX-78-2 2.0's legendary mobility,

and IMO the armor itself just looks kind of bad.

Though I'm comparing it to the kickass vKa conversion kit, so that's probably not being fair.

On an unrelated note:

:psyduck:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's a goddamn tragedy that Bandai chose to base the MG FA-78-1 off the 2.0, which flexibility aside is just kind of a strange and goofy-looking model. I was very sad when I had to pass on that one.

I ordered my Gundam 3.0 from AmiAmi yesterday and nearly plotzed when I saw the bill – shipping was almost as much as the model itself!

Budgetary abuse aside, I'm thinking of getting the 3.0 extras set but can't actually find it for sale anywhere. Anyone know where it's hiding?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 9, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You either have to go through a proxy service or preorder it on the gundam guy store thing. It's not really worth it imo unless you really love the Gundam Hammer, in which case you'll just be disappointed by the lack of Super Napalm. I'm sure we'll get a yellow LED we can buy separately soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bimmi posted:

Budgetary abuse aside, I'm thinking of getting the 3.0 extras set but can't actually find it for sale anywhere. Anyone know where it's hiding?

It's still available for pre-order on Gentei Kits.

• Locked thread