Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
A bit of a coaching video on the Colorado Match Tour course from the 11th place shootout qualifier (not me):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRVfsBiZM7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm looking to take my '13 Focus ST to its first-ever AutoX event via these guys: http://www.windycitymiataclub.com/joomla/

I know its primarily Miatas but they do allow other cars to race in different classes. They've filled up in pre-registration for members and there's a chance I can get on in case of people not showing up.

Two things-
1.) How well do AutoX's treat first-timers like myself? In terms of making mistakes or just being overall new to the whole experience.
2.) Any goons do this event? They're out in Schaumberg, IL. I've asked some friends but they can't make it and I'd hate going alone.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm looking to take my '13 Focus ST to its first-ever AutoX event via these guys: http://www.windycitymiataclub.com/joomla/

I know its primarily Miatas but they do allow other cars to race in different classes. They've filled up in pre-registration for members and there's a chance I can get on in case of people not showing up.

Two things-
1.) How well do AutoX's treat first-timers like myself? In terms of making mistakes or just being overall new to the whole experience.
2.) Any goons do this event? They're out in Schaumberg, IL. I've asked some friends but they can't make it and I'd hate going alone.

Most autocross events are very welcoming, chances are there are plenty of people there who will be happy to ride along with you and get you acclimated to the sport. Just let them know that it's your first time and there should be plenty of experienced drivers willing to help out.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Two things-

A bone stock '13 Focus ST with r-comps (G-Stock class) has won every single event this year so far in my region, beat out EVO's and Z06's etc. Absolutely insane car for auto-x.

First timers are always welcomed and people are always eager to help out - do some ride-alongs if you can or have someone experienced do runs in your car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just don't be that guy who shows up in a new car with lots of horsepower who runs his mouth at "lovely" cars. We always love new people who want to learn, but have little patience for idiots.

I wish I could have seen his face when his genesis 3.8 got beaten by a hybrid civic.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
One of our local clubs today invited the wounded warriors to come and ride along, so I brought the 'merica mobile. I had been wondering about my placement on the passengers side cones so I ran a side mount camera. Most had also never been in anything as fast as the Z06 so I also took onboard of their reactions to send to them to remember it by.

This run was clean, I was fairly happy with my placement as I was putting wheel on cone base. Probably could have knocked off a good 1-2 seconds from the cones I was a bit wide on though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4SgiYVoT7Y

Passengers first time in the Z06.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xhlnR-5Gk

Do your civic duty, take Vets out in Vettes.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Two things-

Everyone knows novices are going to be slow and make mistakes unless they've come over from another form of motorsport and pretty much everyone will try to give you pointers if you take them out or drive your car.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 4, 2013

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Muffinpox posted:

Do your civic duty, take Vets out in Vettes.

Very nice. Give me a Vette and I'll go find me some Vets to give rides too!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
My fastest runs from this weekends double event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1sG1CnQL0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMS96MRACmc

I'm still trying to hold my own hand on the steering wheel for some unknown reason, but I managed to claw my way into top 5 fender times.

Also, if I had a nickel for everytime someone told me I'm lifting a front tire or my motor is ticking I'd be loving rich.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
First time running a real event this year. Took first of 6 in ES. Pretty pleased with that. Especially with no sway and some pretty heat cycled RS3s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjTHKlJLjA

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Also, if I had a nickel for everytime someone told me I'm lifting a front tire or my motor is ticking I'd be loving rich.

Ah, BMW's at autocross events. Masters of ticking.

Also, fairly good at that tire lifting thing.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 6, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Do BMWs have oiling problems at high lateral Gs?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Do BMWs have oiling problems at high lateral Gs?

Sustained high lateral G loads will cause some oiling issues that allow air into the hydraulic lifters. Not a real problem unless you want to drive in continuous circles on a skid pad, but enough to cause the lifters to audibly tick until the air works it's way out.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Crustashio posted:

At least your motor has valves. I've been told I should get the ticking in one of my FCs looked at several times (minor loving exhaust leak I'm too lazy to fix)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

The Locator posted:

Ah, BMW's at autocross events. Masters of ticking.

Also, fairly good at that tire lifting thing.

You call that a tire lift? THIS is a tire lift.

In reality I badly need stiffer springs, 350F/400R and Rcomps do not go together. I'm thinking 500F/500R next. The 28mm swaybar keeps the camber in check but the bodyroll is just ridiculous.

The Locator posted:

Sustained high lateral G loads will cause some oiling issues that allow air into the hydraulic lifters. Not a real problem unless you want to drive in continuous circles on a skid pad, but enough to cause the lifters to audibly tick until the air works it's way out.

It can be an issue on track, and some autocross courses depending on design. I have a baffled pan but I think I'm just going to go with the S54 setup, it has a scavenging pump and is supposed to pretty much eliminate any oiling problems you could ever have.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 6, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Who's going to SCCA Nationals? A few of us from Ontario Canada are thinking of making the trip.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Crustashio posted:

You call that a tire lift? THIS is a tire lift.

I can't help it if you have a soft, squishy suspension.

Also, mine is on street tires, it would probably be a bit worse on R's. I run 500/550 springs, top braces front & rear, and stiffer (adjustable) bars front and rear, as well as all delron type bushings.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Who's going to SCCA Nationals? A few of us from Ontario Canada are thinking of making the trip.

Ooo when are they? Who's all going? I could join this convoy. And get thoroughly embarrassed in STR.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

Ooo when are they? Who's all going? I could join this convoy. And get thoroughly embarrassed in STR.

The Wolf pack is going. Sept 3-6 I think. 16 hour drive aparently. I'm trying to see if I can catch up on maintenance before going.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's pretty hot in Phoenix during the summer, so we autocross a bit differently here.

Note: This is not me, I did not attend this event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEUu0Qm2Rqs

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I've always had a ton of fun at night autoxs. What is Arizona's Autox schedule like? Do you guys schedule a lot of events in the fall/winter and less events in the heat of the summer?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

G-Mach posted:

I've always had a ton of fun at night autoxs. What is Arizona's Autox schedule like? Do you guys schedule a lot of events in the fall/winter and less events in the heat of the summer?

Phoenix typically has a Fall and Spring season with 4 competition events each, plus a 'special event' and a drivers school.

During the summer we used to hold super-early morning events or night events. The night events got nixed due to safety concerns, and the early events due to low turnout vs. the cost for the site.

For several years we held a couple of out of town events in Taylor, where the weather is much cooler during the summer, but that site has recently been ruined. This was the first event under the new management at what used to be Firebird, and they really worked with the club to fix/replace and re-aim lighting to make the site safe for a night event, so my guess is that next summer will see at least 2 night events during the summer, but I am no longer in charge, so that will be up to someone else to decide next year.

The feedback was very positive, so my money is on one or more night events in 2014.

Tucson and Sierra Vista schedule year round.

So yes, if you are willing and able, you can attend 3 events per month in state, and events held at Qualcom in San Diego, and El Toro east of LA are very popular with the AZ folks as well.

I think if I had endless amounts of available time and money, I could probably do an autocross on drat near every weekend of the year within 5-6 hours of my house. Probably excepting some holiday weekends.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
We're doing night autocrosses this time of year in south florida as well. The humidity makes it hotter than the mere 90 degree temperature indicates.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Finally got my first FTD, although only with only 18 competitors :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsB_oP3CSUA

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Got the S2000 aligned using the national level STR recommendations. New England has not been kind, from the factory you can get about -1.5F/-2.5R for camber. Mine didn't want to go out past -.8F/-1.3R :negative:

I need to take it to a performance shop and have them replace the adjusters.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Just plain frozen I assume? That's pretty much where my coilovers are. I don't think anything will free them short of a lot of heat and/or a hydraulic press. You try to explain the horrible things that happen to a New England car to Texans but they just can't understand... :v:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
A bit frozen, the lower wishbones have an eccentric bolt used for camber adjust, it would rotate about half way then become really difficult to move. Soaking it overnight probably would have been a good idea but whoops! There were no spares on hand and the shop didn't want to break anything so we just kinda maxed out as much as we could and Ill probably give it to Fastrack to have fun with.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Horray for fast courses with obvious lines. Actually drove well this time round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0HgxugZogI

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Another great event on Saturday. I didn't place well in my class, but a few out of town guys showed up, and they were quite quick. Also, 2nd - 9th in my class was separated by about a half second.

Of course, my fastest run was one where I blew an easy corner due to pushing my braking zone and forgetting about where the bump was. I'd estimate it cost me at least a half second. The rest of the course I said screw it my run is already hosed lets push corner entry speeds and see what happens.

I'm (slowly) starting to get a lot more comfortable balancing the car on the limit - there's a feeling to the car when you're on the edge, its hard to describe. Last year when I'd get that feeling I'd usually spin or scare myself enough to slow down almost immediately, but this year (and last event specificay) I really started to be able to carry it through elements, and start to link them together. It's great, I can't wait for the next event!

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
The alignment worked well, I toed out the front and now it really goes where you look immediately. I realized I've been glancing down at cones as I pass them because I hit like 1-2 every run and couldn't get a clean one in all day even driving more conservatively. The raw times are there though.

I also placed both 11th and 12th, I traded runs with an E46 M3 without switching numbers and beat my fastest time in the S2000 and the M3 owners fastest time on my first run :negative:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
No goons at Nationals other than a Canuck? For shaaaaaame.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Haven't been to nats since 2007. Someday maybe I'll make it back.

In the meantime, Fred Zust continues his domination of XP, winning this year by a mere 1.5 seconds. Fifth championship in a row I believe, nobody seems to be able to touch him, although last year was closer than most. He won the Pro also.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have a bunch of friends at nats.... :smith:

I haven't autocrossed even once this year. For shame.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
One lady from my local club bought a new F150 at Nationals yesterday. :colbert:

I can't motivate myself to go to Nationals. First off, I'm slow. And secondly, I doubt I could get any of my cars to pass tech/not get protested: local guy went up to Nationals a few years ago with an ITR and was DQ'd with like half of the other DS ITRs for not having a random gasket.

That said, good luck Ziploc!

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Ziploc posted:

No goons at Nationals other than a Canuck? For shaaaaaame.

Did you see what Thorne and his girlfriend did to the entire BSP/L field?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It's really boring when you look at the nationals results and literally the entire class is one make/model.

The STU results are disappointing. Last year an e36 won, this year only one showed. STX result as expected, interesting to see the FRS took it by a whole second.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Crustashio posted:

It's really boring when you look at the nationals results and literally the entire class is one make/model.

The STU results are disappointing. Last year an e36 won, this year only one showed. STX result as expected, interesting to see the FRS took it by a whole second.

Peters is turning some heads in STR, leading in a car that isn't supposed to be competitive in the class at all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So you want to win at Nationals and get a spiffy jacket?

Just drive like this!

Edit: Disclaimer, this is not me!

STR winning runs,

East course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTgLkqV1DF0

West course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usuiS_XWhAw

The Locator fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 9, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
You fucker. You won STR? I got faceraped in RTR with my rusty Miata. How was OPR affecting your tires? I wasn't spraying/shaving, so I felt run 2/3 felt too greasy and had a hard time going faster.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ziploc posted:

You fucker. You won STR? I got faceraped in RTR with my rusty Miata. How was OPR affecting your tires? I wasn't spraying/shaving, so I felt run 2/3 felt too greasy and had a hard time going faster.

Sorry, I should have put a disclaimer on that post, but I thought it would be clear from my other posts about nats - this was not me.

I haven't been to nationals since 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Every time people ask what autox is like and are like "eh" about the max speeds being so low I'm just going to show them this video from my roomates first time ever:

edit: why is this video still being processed 6 hours later.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 12, 2013

• Locked thread