Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Seat Safety Switch posted:

$800 is probably letting that car off easy.

There's, what, ball joint, the wheel, the tire (if not all four - looks pretty bald), the control arm, possibly the control arm mount, rotor doesn't look too hot, swaybar bushings in that area are toast as well assuming they want to keep the giant body damage intact and not touch it up or repair it... and then the alignment. I can't see them but I'm guessing the tie rods are also bent. That's just one side, and you want to replace a lot of the front end parts in pairs.

If by "bumped" they mean "slid into violently" and by "curb" they mean Jersey barrier...

In addition to being a Ford Taurus and needing plenty of other typical steering/suspension repairs, I ended up quoting the bare minimum of a used rim, used knee assembly(strut/knuckle/lower arm) with a new economy brand lower ball joint and new inner/outer tie rods and an "as good as possible" alignment. The inner tie rod as well as the lower control arm bracket on that side were also bent but I couldn't get a good enough picture of them.

Previa_fun posted:

Yep that there is a drunk driving accident if I've ever seen one. :v:

This was everyone's guess at the shop too. It might somewhat explain why the owner couldn't understand why "Just an alignment!" isn't going to fix his problem; but I've learned you really shouldn't underestimate some people's ignorance, especially when it comes to this kind of thing. He calmed down a bit once we explained and showed him everything; but it was easy to tell he was still upset when he whipped the door open to get in and slammed it shut before slowly driving away in it once I took it down off the rack.
I guess that's his way of saying he'll think about it and get back to us, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
turn down your sound before watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifaUFMYsESM

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Root Bear posted:

In addition to being a Ford Taurus and needing plenty of other typical steering/suspension repairs, I ended up quoting the bare minimum of a used rim, used knee assembly(strut/knuckle/lower arm) with a new economy brand lower ball joint and new inner/outer tie rods and an "as good as possible" alignment. The inner tie rod as well as the lower control arm bracket on that side were also bent but I couldn't get a good enough picture of them.

This was everyone's guess at the shop too. It might somewhat explain why the owner couldn't understand why "Just an alignment!" isn't going to fix his problem; but I've learned you really shouldn't underestimate some people's ignorance, especially when it comes to this kind of thing. He calmed down a bit once we explained and showed him everything; but it was easy to tell he was still upset when he whipped the door open to get in and slammed it shut before slowly driving away in it once I took it down off the rack.
I guess that's his way of saying he'll think about it and get back to us, or something.

It's a shame you can't just phone up the local pd and have poo poo like that hauled off to the scrap yard.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

veedubfreak posted:

It's a shame you can't just phone up the local pd and have poo poo like that hauled off to the scrap yard.

"Officer, this man has refused to spend his money at my place of business! Please take his property from him and destroy it!"

vvvvv

I'm cool with that.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 5, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

"Officer, this man has refused to spend his money at my place of business! Please take his property from him and destroy it!"

I think it's more of "this car is unsafe to be on the road, please make sure he doesn't kill himself or someone else while driving it around."

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That seems awfully mild, other than the tacky chrome wheels. What's stuck in the radiator grille?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I'd remove the horns and plate, and blast INXS from that bitch 24/7. :colbert:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
There must be something wrong with me because aside from the silly horse decals on the hood I love that car. I don't really know mustangs so if that is a bastardization of a badass car then I guess I'm wrong, but that seems pretty cool to me. I really like that front end for some reason.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Isn't that just the super 1980's RAD KUSTOM KAR look?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The headlight implementation is a little sloppy and the air scoop really should be wider/lower or just a shaker, but the paintjob and overall looks are pretty rad. I really hope it's got a solid-white interior.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It wouldn't be half as bad with round headlights.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It doesn't help that the '70 Mustang was already one of the best looking pony cars, it's my favorite year for Mustangs. Then they went and did... that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Raluek posted:

It doesn't help that the '70 Mustang was already one of the best looking pony cars, it's my favorite year for Mustangs. Then they went and did... that.

Did the '70 have the rear quarter side vents like that? GIS'ing suggests that was only on '69.

The only change (other than paint) is the front fascia and hood, which makes me thing it took a hit in front and the owner got creative rebuilding it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Did the '70 have the rear quarter side vents like that? GIS'ing suggests that was only on '69.

The only change (other than paint) is the front fascia and hood, which makes me thing it took a hit in front and the owner got creative rebuilding it.

Hmmm you're right. Front end is '70, it's definitely a piece of work. 'Course, not to mention the Cougar tails and all the other stuff he's done.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

And the rear, to get the fake Shelby/California Special tail treatment.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

It looks like a tarted-up Maverick to me....

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

You're all wrong. It's a Fiero. It is always a Fiero. The car doesn't look too bad, but the prancing horses on the hood are pretty gross to look at.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dubzee posted:

It looks like a tarted-up Maverick to me....

Hey now, don't knock Mavericks. They're awesome. :colbert:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Shampoo posted:

Isn't that just the super 1980's RAD KUSTOM KAR look?

Basically. It's more of a late 70's look, honestly. I'd drive it.

joat mon posted:

And the rear, to get the fake Shelby/California Special tail treatment.

Front is Shelby, too, I think. Check out the hood latches.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Basically. It's more of a late 70's look, honestly. I'd drive it.

Front is Shelby, too, I think. Check out the hood latches.
Latches yes, but I don't think Shelby ever used the '70 Mustang nose, nor a hood scoop like that.

e: It's like a Ford fan listened to "One Piece at a Time" too many times.

Headlamps, '82 Grenada (to be fair, '85 Mustang, too)
Taillights, '65 T-bird (and some of the Shelby's)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 5, 2013

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Here's a really terribly designed rally stage I found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCLofvvuDo

Look at that pile of cars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBjtfhj8VFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzn4d7LTmqw

At least some people managed to avoid it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wChLlD9fkeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEC7sLymOGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J256z3TgGIs

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Some typical "I smeared a bunch of dumb crap on my car" abortions. If the 535i is real it's a bummer, but if that was a real All-Trac I think I'd have to hurt the guy.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Those spectators are so polite. I would have been maniacally cackling after the first few slid off.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have never seen a Skoda before last week. This one was in Schwangau, Bavaria.

Don't really care to see another if this is representative of the breed

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Those are pretty rare in the wild so you should be safe. I've never noticed it before, but is that the fuel tank right behind the passenger compartment? Because that must be pretty convenient for siphoning fuel out.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Those spectators are so polite. I would have been maniacally cackling after the first few slid off.

Japan. My Japanese coworker apologizes to me when I interrupt her. Really interesting from a cultural perspective.

Reminds me a little of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdCDkfEKkUI

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think that was nearly as bad as this classic: OI OI OI OI!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

mobby_6kl posted:

Those are pretty rare in the wild so you should be safe. I've never noticed it before, but is that the fuel tank right behind the passenger compartment? Because that must be pretty convenient for siphoning fuel out.

Nope, that's not the fuel tank, this Skoda was a special one (nowadays they're just VW with another badge so to speak).

What you see, is actually a movable wall, so when moved it gives you two more seats in the pickup, so that the car can take 4 people - and the yellow plastic "bar" contains the cover for the two new seats.

You can see how it looks here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

If it had been a european rally the spectators would have been all over the cars to help them out of the ditch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpeYyqNOU4k

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

500 dollar car with a fake alligator roof and wheels worth 10 times the value of the car. Can we please contain this bullshit to the south where it started?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

veedubfreak posted:

500 dollar car with a fake alligator roof and wheels worth 10 times the value of the car. Can we please contain this bullshit to the south where it started?

Hey man, you go to Aurora, you're going to see some stupid poo poo.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

I never understand why this forum hates on stuff like this but mostly gives hellaflush a pass. It's not like either have functioning suspensions, but at least this thing can pull into driveways and parking lots at greater than 0.03 MPH

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
poo poo. I actually want to see a donk go offroading now.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

They could probably do well at Moab :v:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvXi_HejnI

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I never understand why this forum hates on stuff like this but mostly gives hellaflush a pass. It's not like either have functioning suspensions, but at least this thing can pull into driveways and parking lots at greater than 0.03 MPH

I don't know what forum you've been reading, but wouldn't say this one gives hellaflush a pass, it got ostracised into its own ghetto thread and, starved of attention, it died.
I think even donks get more of a pass here than that other stuff.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

I dunno about hellaflush getting a pass here, but these vehicles are terrible for a wide range of reasons--it's the epitome of cheap car with wheels 2-10x the value of the car, poorly modified suspensions and chopped up fender wells (and sometimes the chassis itself). Most of these things are in such poor shape that they are legitimately dangerous vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

I dunno about hellaflush getting a pass here, but these vehicles are terrible for a wide range of reasons--it's the epitome of cheap car with wheels 2-10x the value of the car, poorly modified suspensions and chopped up fender wells (and sometimes the chassis itself). Most of these things are in such poor shape that they are legitimately dangerous vehicles.

To be fair, some of those things apply to hellaflush vehicles as well.