Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Katana Gomai posted:

Modded Wiis can play ISOs from a hard drive so I guess they went all out piracy.

Must be. Most of the homebrew crew were pretty against piracy and a lot of people with external storage relied on using the Wii itself to rip the disc images, so it immediately sounded silly to remove the drive. The original Wii also works pretty well as a cheap media center, and DVD reading goes out the window if you remove the disc drive (but I guess that doesn't matter if you're just pirating).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So Batman: Arkham Origins is going to have online multiplayer on every system except Wii U. Not exactly good news, but it's understandable since they're outsourcing the multiplayer development in the first place, and they're publicly saying it ahead of time and why they're doing it.

Ubisoft saw this news and naturally thought they could one-up it. The Wii U version of Splinter Cell: Blacklist will be the only version without offline multiplayer. :psyduck:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Are multiplayer modes an enormous sink on a project's resources or are companies just looking for cheap and easy corners to cut on the Wii U? I get this is all out of fear for poor sales but come the heck on dudes.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Are multiplayer modes an enormous sink on a project's resources or are companies just looking for cheap and easy corners to cut on the Wii U? I get this is all out of fear for poor sales but come the heck on dudes.

Can you blame them? I wouldn't want to invest serious time into a WiiU game either. Even if WiiU had a bigger install base than ~3 million, the Wii showed pretty clearly that people bought Nintendo games and nothing else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TaurusOxford posted:

Can you blame them? I wouldn't want to invest serious time into a WiiU game either. Even if WiiU had a bigger install base than ~3 million, the Wii showed pretty clearly that people bought Nintendo games and nothing else.

Because there was so much 3rd party stuff worth a drat on the Wii.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You better not be implying bad things about Okami :toughguy:.

I'm not about to say anything bad about Okami, but the Wii version's drawing mechanic is too unforgiving for me to get anything done, so...there's that. :shrug:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Pikmin 3 lets you do off-TV play with the Wii remote controls. It uses the sensor bar thats built into the pad for this. Pikmin 3 is awesome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Pikmin 3 lets you do off-TV play with the Wii remote controls. It uses the sensor bar thats built into the pad for this. Pikmin 3 is awesome.

Holy poo poo that bar actually got used for something. Wonder if they'll make it so we can play Wii games like that at some point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, Canadians looking for Wii Us. Target has beaten Walmart's price drop: $149.99 for Basic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

njsykora posted:

Holy poo poo that bar actually got used for something. Wonder if they'll make it so we can play Wii games like that at some point.

It's cool that it can do this, but what's even the point? It's so impractical. I don't understand why anyone would want to do it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The only reason I can think of is that someone else is using the TV and you don't want to use Gamepad controls.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's cool that it can do this, but what's even the point? It's so impractical. I don't understand why anyone would want to do it.

The point is its AWESOME

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

njsykora posted:

I didn't even think of this application for Wii games on the Virtual Console :allears:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Supercar Gautier posted:

The only reason I can think of is that someone else is using the TV and you don't want to use Gamepad controls.

I have played Super Luigi U on the Game Pad only while using the Pro Controller because the TV was in use. It's pretty amazing that you can even do that as simple as it is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah if you have the stand from the deluxe pack you can just put it on a table and use it as a mini-TV.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

njsykora posted:

Yeah if you have the stand from the deluxe pack you can just put it on a table and use it as a mini-TV.

This is what I've been doing and it's a great setup so far.

Makob
Aug 5, 2013

njsykora posted:

I didn't realize until just recently that I can use netflix on the Wii U gamepad. Makes for a nice portable TV to use while I am wandering around my apartment doing other things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wonderful 101 Blog Update #8: Wonder-Green!

While I'm here... word is the next Nintendo Direct will be dropping very soon, and it'll focus on Pikmin 3.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Makob posted:

I didn't realize until just recently that I can use netflix on the Wii U gamepad. Makes for a nice portable TV to use while I am wandering around my apartment doing other things.

Come on, just say "while pooping" we all know what you mean.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wonderful 101 Blog Update #8: Wonder-Green!

While I'm here... word is the next Nintendo Direct will be dropping very soon, and it'll focus on Pikmin 3.

uh where are you getting this word is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Because there was so much 3rd party stuff worth a drat on the Wii.

There really was but after launch no one bought it. Red Steel 2 was a really cool game and sold like poo poo, Goldeneye was a modest success, HotD:O's numbers were pretty low but Sega said they were happy with it, NMH2 flopped and I know there's many more if I went through my Wii collection. It seemed like any time a publisher decided to test the waters with Wii games it flopped except for Sonic and one Tiger Woods game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pixeltendo posted:

uh where are you getting this word is.

PR dude told me, it's not official (so you can come back and yell at me if it doesn't show up tomorrow).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

There really was but after launch no one bought it. Red Steel 2 was a really cool game and sold like poo poo, Goldeneye was a modest success, HotD:O's numbers were pretty low but Sega said they were happy with it, NMH2 flopped and I know there's many more if I went through my Wii collection. It seemed like any time a publisher decided to test the waters with Wii games it flopped except for Sonic and one Tiger Woods game.

It almost feels like people purposely avoided buying good games on the Wii. It had all sorts of effortless poo poo that sold like mad, but anything cool or original just got ignored and/or not advertised at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

As I understood it the August Direct was going to focus on Wonderful 101. At least that's what they said during W101's section in the last direct. I don't see much point in doing one on Pikmin 3 now it's out the door and W101's only 2 weeks away (haha I'm in Europe!).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gutcruncher posted:

It almost feels like people purposely avoided buying good games on the Wii. It had all sorts of effortless poo poo that sold like mad, but anything cool or original just got ignored and/or not advertised at all.

It also had one of the weirdest Crossovers imaginable. Time Gal from the forgotten laserdisc game appeared as a playable character on Castle Shikigami 3.

Also it should be noted that Arc Rise Fantasia is probably the closest thing we'll get to Manos:THOF in RPG form.

But yeah the Wii has a load of decent smaller titles that were way better than most of the big games pushed onto the system. If Endless Ocean was marketed right it could have easily been a system seller. Xenoblade should have been a mass release instead of a Gamestop exclusive, and I really hope that X is a mass release. Because if X is yet again a GS exclusive they're shooting themselves in the foot. Xenoblade is a game just worth getting the Wii for, but Xenoblade sold like crap compared to stuff like Wii-Fit.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

I love a lot of games on the Wii, but I'll admit that I did avoid playing any games that didn't really interest me in the first place. I avoided trying games on the Wii.

Why? Because they gave me eyestrain. I think this is more limited to me than the general populous though, I honestly think that a Wii was better suited to a CRT (in fact I know it was) the problem being that games came in widescreen mode and thus that made the obvious choice for modern televisions over a CRT.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PR dude told me, it's not official (so you can come back and yell at me if it doesn't show up tomorrow).
That's a bummer if true. That game has already taken up significant portions of so many other directs, and has even had it's own focused direct from memory.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Crawfish posted:

That's a bummer if true. That game has already taken up significant portions of so many other directs, and has even had it's own focused direct from memory.

I guess they do this as some sort of advertising, but I wonder if it really helps at all. Surely everyone who watches Nintendo Directs have already decided whether or not they're buying Pikmin.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

njsykora posted:

Wonder if they'll make it so we can play Wii games like that at some point.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I didn't even think of this application for Wii games on the Virtual Console :allears:

If I correctly understand what little of the internals we know so far, the chip that encodes and transfers to the GamePad (which leet haxors call the "Starbuck") is an upgraded version of the a similar chip used by the Wii ("Starlet"). When in Wii mode, this chip turns back into Starlet, so it can't redirect video output and then encode and transfer it to the GamePad, as it's too busy doing Wii things that Wii games need to assume it's doing (recall that the Wii doesn't really have much in the way of an operating system).

Nintendo probably thought it was too expensive to include a separate Starlet chip to enable Starbuck to still operate during Wii mode (and test it with their back catalog). On the flipside, the GamePad itself uses a protocol closer to Wi-Fi than straight Bluetooth like the Wii, so you probably couldn't even use it as a screen-less controller, either.

Of course, if someone knows more, feel free to correct me. And possibly raise my hopes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If they wanted to have specific Wii games available on Wii U in Wii U mode with gamepad support, they would have to be ports, but it would be a rather super easy port.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hopefully DLC details.

I also hope they'll give us some info on the so called "Summer update".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Man Nintendo's marketing really is putting on the full court press. Hey guys there's a new direct coming, maybe. I dunno. We'll see.

:geno:

Anyone see any ads for Wii U on TV? How's that big promised advertising push going so far?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Man Nintendo's marketing really is putting on the full court press. Hey guys there's a new direct coming, maybe. I dunno. We'll see.

:geno:

Are you just trying to find things to complain about Nintendo for the sake of it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hopefully DLC details.

I also hope they'll give us some info on the so called "Summer update".

One of the things Miyamoto has hinted at for Pikmin 3 is replay sharing; the mere fact that he's even mentioned it publicly suggests it's a done deal and they're already working on it, but I wonder if it's something they'd actually charge for or if it'll be part of a free update, separate from DLC.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Maybe it will have something to do with the secret code thing going on in pikmin 3

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

Are you just trying to find things to complain about Nintendo for the sake of it?

drat dude, lighten up. He's got a point, it's pretty funky that Nintendo still hasn't really put much PR muscle at all into the Wii U. I don't think I've seen a single ad for it ever, and if the Directs are supposed to be a big marketing tool then they should be publicizing when they're coming out or at least making some kind of noise about it.

Makob
Aug 5, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Come on, just say "while pooping" we all know what you mean.

Yeah, yeah. Its handy to be able to play some games while doing that too. Hopefully more games have that feature for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've definitely seen more TV ads here in Australia in the lead-up to Pikmin than I have previously (by "more" I of course mean "a number higher than zero").

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 6, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Quest For Glory II posted:

Anyone see any ads for Wii U on TV? How's that big promised advertising push going so far?

Seeing a lot of Pikmin 3 ads lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009
I can see why Nintendo wouldn't advertise much yet. Why push a system before there's enough games in the library to not disappoint the consumer? A large part of their target probably hasn't even been through a new console launch yet, so being extra cautious on when to pull the marketing trigger might not be a bad decision in the long run.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with the console and a steady trickle of games is finally starting. Can't wait for Tropical Freeze, but I was almost alone in the Best Buy demo line compared to the Mario games.

• Locked thread