Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Seems legit. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
In CK2+ how do you plot to take over trade posts from opposing Patrician families? I skimmed the internet and saw that it could be done via plot, but I've never seen that specific option pop up before. Do you have to kidnap the opposing Patrician, or is that something else entirely? I have it in my mind to try to play as a merchant republic during my first conversion game, but expanding is mighty slow without knowing how to actually play as a republic :/

edit: I am the Doge, if that makes any difference.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
That's nothing, In my current game Poland Inherited Sweden but lost its homeland to a bunch of Dukes. So now Most of Scandinavia is Poland and real Poland looks like a shattered stain glass window.

Or I could tell you about Aragonese England.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

In CK2+ how do you plot to take over trade posts from opposing Patrician families? I skimmed the internet and saw that it could be done via plot, but I've never seen that specific option pop up before. Do you have to kidnap the opposing Patrician, or is that something else entirely? I have it in my mind to try to play as a merchant republic during my first conversion game, but expanding is mighty slow without knowing how to actually play as a republic :/

You can only do this if they have more posts than you. You should never be in a position where they have more posts unless you just got embargoed or something.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You can only do this if they have more posts than you. You should never be in a position where they have more posts unless you just got embargoed or something.

Ahh, well that would explain that then. Thank you kindly!

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

unwantedplatypus posted:

That's nothing, In my current game Poland Inherited Sweden but lost its homeland to a bunch of Dukes. So now Most of Scandinavia is Poland and real Poland looks like a shattered stain glass window.

Or I could tell you about Aragonese England.

It's interesting how inheritances can create the Hapsburg-esque superpowers that came to dominate Europe completely by (seeming) chance and AI agency. The Kiev-Krakow triple monarchy of Kiev, Lithuania, and Poland basically became the superpower of my Bulgaria game, converting Eastern Europe back to Orthodoxy and fist-fighting with the HRE.

If the AI wasn't so bad at managing its levies, they might have even helped me beat the Mongols!

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Oh hey! Have you managed to survive more than 100 years as them? From the moment I got Old Gods I've been busting my head up against this over and over without much success. What's your secret?

Don't think I've played 100 years in on it yet but I'll play that save some more just to see. I assumed I'd be fine just because I carved out a decent satrapy but I forgot about the seljuks.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
How are you guys doing so well as Karen Satrapy? I have done that swear-allegiance thing, but aren't decadence wars still broken? Once I overthrow the Samanids, I just get obliterated by the Muslims in Persia, usually a huge blobbed Saffarid kingdom.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

It's interesting how inheritances can create the Hapsburg-esque superpowers that came to dominate Europe completely by (seeming) chance and AI agency. The Kiev-Krakow triple monarchy of Kiev, Lithuania, and Poland basically became the superpower of my Bulgaria game, converting Eastern Europe back to Orthodoxy and fist-fighting with the HRE.

If the AI wasn't so bad at managing its levies, they might have even helped me beat the Mongols!
Hey, there you are! Go finish your LP!

I mean that in the nicest way, of course.

But seriously, go finish your LP.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cycloneman posted:

Hey, there you are! Go finish your LP!

I mean that in the nicest way, of course.

But seriously, go finish your LP.

Old Gods broke the save, but I am actually working on either setting up the scenario for Aleksandr I's coronation for possible re-do, or starting up something similar.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I tried playing a vanilla CK2 game in anticipation of EU4 and the converter, but it feels so odd without any mods. And I can't stop looking at the Caspian Sea after reading Reveilled's thing about it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just ragequit my tutorial game and am honestly not sure if I should load up from the last autosave or backtrack, and if so, how far.

It's not that things have gone badly -- I'm still King of Ireland -- but as is, I'd basically waste two updates on poo poo that goes utterly nowhere and is pointless, and then it'd be back to "blah blah and this is me managing vassals and fabricating claims".

loving goddammit.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TehKeen posted:

That's nothing:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I felt like my current game is interesting enough to share.

The IlKhanate has completely swallowed all of Tartaria and Russia and is making headway into the Cacausus while remnants of the Russian Empire survive in Estonia and Finland. With Russia's fall and subsequent conversion to Monothelite, Orthodoxy has officially been exteriminated.The Golden Horde showed up in Perm but then got completely crushed by the IlKhanate. I managed to stab my way through the current Khan's 5 other brothers but failed to get him before he popped out 3 sons. Throughout this time there have only been two rebellions and each were completely crushed.

The Mongols ended up converting to shia after swallowing Persia. Meanwhile, the Catholic Lotharingians hold the Holy Lands. The Byzantine Empire Imploded, converted to the Monothelite faith, and is rebuilding somewhat after expelling the muslims from Anatolia.

Pisa has grown ridiculously strong, and now owns a large chunk of the Mediterranean both financially and territorially. The Moors almost managed to conquer Spain, but a crusade was called and allowed France to take large chunks of land.

But even Pisa has a worthy Rival. Somehow the Holy Roman Empire is ruled by the Grand Prince of Genoa, albeit weakened due to Lotharingia's Independence.

This is just the most :psyduck: worthy game I've ever had. Aragon inherits a (still mostly divided) England every other generation and somehow Poland has Scandinavia. Theres literally nothing to stop the Ilkhanate due to every significant roadblock in their way having imploded. Even the Fatimids are a lot weaker than usual. That's not even mentioning the fledgling Scottish Empire or the Polish holdings in Scotland.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Possibly dumb question, but its been a long time since I've played with this area. So, I am the German Catholic King of Lombardy, and I own all of historical Lombardy, and I am independent. I also have some of Burgandy, but that's not really important right now. I am debating if I should press my de jure claim on Rome and move my capitol there or not. Is there anything special I get to do if I do, or am I just asking for a lot of religious bullshit?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Overwined posted:

I did! I forgot to mention that as soon as the first kid died, I got the popup and it was that same dude saying "Hello, I am your Reagent. Nothing bad will happen to you. I promise!"

Good good. It might seem vindictive, but I do have a tendency to kill people who do bad things to my characters. Sometimes their entire families as well, depending on the circumstances.

On another note, I started my first game today as a Viking lord with The Old Gods enabled. Wow did I have some surprise fun with that thus far! I'm obviously a warmongering psychopath, but what surprised me was that special "once every 9 years event" I was able to host. My jail was filled with rebel leaders who had tried to usurp my crown, but I couldn't execute them unless I wanted a tyranny bonus. Then boom! Human sacrifice! Not only no tyranny, but I even got rewarded for it! I only left one of the rebels alive because he was my brother, and the kinslayer trait is not a good thing to have.

Needless to say, my events to come will have many... offerings. :smug:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Possibly dumb question, but its been a long time since I've played with this area. So, I am the German Catholic King of Lombardy, and I own all of historical Lombardy, and I am independent. I also have some of Burgandy, but that's not really important right now. I am debating if I should press my de jure claim on Rome and move my capitol there or not. Is there anything special I get to do if I do, or am I just asking for a lot of religious bullshit?

The Pope will ask you to give Rome to him sometimes. If you dare to refuse, he might have you excommunicated.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Is there any way to organize dukes under a king in an area where you can't make the de jure kingdom? In my Scandinavia game my mother managed to press a claim over Brittany, the #2 Norse kingdom in my game. So when she died I inherited it and now have way more land than I want to deal with. They had taken a line of duchies down western France and then most of the Iberian Peninsula. Unfortunately, I can't make any of the kingdoms down south there because they all require you to be Christian for some daft reason. As it is, if I want to call up troops from there I have a dozen scattered Jarls and Chiefs in Spain whose armies take forever to get to the coast to be picked up. I can transfer the chiefs to one of my kingdoms, but the jarls won't transfer because they're not a de jure vassal.

Ideally I'd like to get them all under their own vassal and grant independance, giving me another allied norse kingdom to play with. Granting each jarl independance individually would just lead to them being eaten up by the Muslims nearby. If I could give them to one of my already vassal kingdoms that would work too. Any ideas on what to do with them?

Yureina posted:

On another note, I started my first game today as a Viking lord with The Old Gods enabled. Wow did I have some surprise fun with that thus far! I'm obviously a warmongering psychopath, but what surprised me was that special "once every 9 years event" I was able to host. My jail was filled with rebel leaders who had tried to usurp my crown, but I couldn't execute them unless I wanted a tyranny bonus. Then boom! Human sacrifice! Not only no tyranny, but I even got rewarded for it! I only left one of the rebels alive because he was my brother, and the kinslayer trait is not a good thing to have.

Needless to say, my events to come will have many... offerings. :smug:

I love the Great Blot. Gives me something to do with those random prisoners that don't get a ransom!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I usually just release the ones that can't be ransomed unless they did seriously bad poo poo like try to kill my family or something. Maybe I default to "be a decent guy" too often.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TehKeen posted:

Ice, Ire... it's only one letter's difference. No big.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Ice, Ire... it's only one letter's difference. No big.

Vikings don't need to know how to spell, only how to :black101:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Reveilled posted:

Man, playing in the middle east really hammers home how much Paradox's consistent depiction of the caspian sea being in the wrong place fucks with geography in the area. Almost every paradox game has the caspian sea sitting way way south of where it should be, It's so massively distorted it's insane.

I mean, try drawing modern borders on the map:

The two red lines are the iran-turkey border and they don't even almost touch because the Caspian Sea is way too far south. It massively messes up the geography of the Caucasus as a result with very weird positonings for Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia and some cities end up in pretty drat crazy positions as you go further south. It's like if the Alps were on the same latitude as Paris or something.

To be fair, the entire projection is kind of messed up. You kind of just chalk it down to quasi-medieval mapping otherwise you'll go insane noticing all the inconsistencies

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Today I went from Count HAMMER of Bornholm to Duke of Skane to King of Sweden and Scotland. I called a prepared invasion of Scotland...declared war on Scotland 2 years later at the same time as declaring my once-in-a-lifetime subjugation war on Svipjod; used event troops to take over Sweden and then went and took over Scotland. Feels good.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I think it's just good old fashioned map distortion. I looked up a few co-ordinates and the Caspian seems like it's only around 1-2 degrees of latitude away from other similiar landmarks. There's significant warping to make it consistent.

You really shouldn't be laying a landmass the size of Europe on a flat page and pretending it's a factual spatial representation, but I guess there's not much choice unless you want to model a globe as well.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Man, my current game is driving me nuts. I've finally formed an empire for the first time in 100 hours of playing Irish or Welsh starts.

But I'm stuck. I can't get the last third or so of England because the HRE has it and those fuckers are huge. I have the title to the Kingdom of Aragon but control none of the land. I can't retake it from the Muslims.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I just ragequit my tutorial game and am honestly not sure if I should load up from the last autosave or backtrack, and if so, how far.

It's not that things have gone badly -- I'm still King of Ireland -- but as is, I'd basically waste two updates on poo poo that goes utterly nowhere and is pointless, and then it'd be back to "blah blah and this is me managing vassals and fabricating claims".

loving goddammit.

Use it as a teaching point in the LP, as often you might end up having prepared for something and it turns out to amount to nothing.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Oh hey, are we posting silly maps?

Half of France being Ireland was my fault, of course, but the King of France turned Muslim and got rebelled on by the King of Jerusalem (who holds no lands in the Levant) all on his own.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TehKeen posted:

How recent is the patch that changes Norse Ireland to Irland?

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
I just got this game and have only tried a few rulers, but so far I'm really enjoying some of the wacky stuff that can happen. So far I've had 2 experiences that stand out.

After learning to play on Ireland, I decided to try out 867 around Lithuania. I was 1 county away from forming the kingdom when my leader died. After that a series of confusing events occurred - I was on the fastest mode and leader after leader kept dying. Until who was once my 1 year old great grand daughter took over. She managed to stay in power, form the kingdom, and reign for 80 years.

I later decided to try a merchant republic - I chose Venice in 867. My ruler died before I could secure my own son to win the election - within a year of starting due to having sex with his wife. Then over the next 10 years those with any chance of winning all died, and I was stuck with a 14 year old boy as my hopeful. After a lot of fast forwarding, I won, only to be greeted by a stack of 10k troops sitting on top of venice.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Man, my current game is driving me nuts. I've finally formed an empire for the first time in 100 hours of playing Irish or Welsh starts.

But I'm stuck. I can't get the last third or so of England because the HRE has it and those fuckers are huge. I have the title to the Kingdom of Aragon but control none of the land. I can't retake it from the Muslims.

You could try plotting to kill the HRE Emperor - particularly if the heir is a child, or low on Diplomacy. That often sets off a civil war, and might be a good time to steal that land for the glory of Britannia. Or go about it a different way - try marrying into a claim to the Empire then kill the Emperor and start a civil war.
Hell, if you can get an alliance with the HRE via a marriage, you could probably take Aragon without much hassle at all.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TehKeen posted:

Pfft. I have a Lithuanian Iceland. A dejure Lithuanian Iceland.

I love how things get really really weird if you take an Old Gods start and play until the end. France and Spain are 95% culturally German with the major exception being Paris which remains Bedouin, meanwhile Italy is entirely Frankish, Persia is Turkish, most of Anatolia is Bedouin (but don't worry about the Greeks because they moved into Hungary) and Serbia was the last Norse country and remains culturally Norse.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 6, 2013

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Alkanos posted:

I love the Great Blot. Gives me something to do with those random prisoners that don't get a ransom!

Unransomable prisoners, traitors, pretenders or deposed rulers, and plotters who really should have known better. They shall serve a better purpose as offerings to Odin, Thor, Freya, and all of their friends. :)

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My Life as the king of Africa was getting a bit stale (and decadent) so I went snooping round my heirs to liven things up a bit.

The heir to the throne was possibly the greatest Sunni Muslim ever to exist - genius, well respected, phenomenal wives, high prestige on his own. The next in line was craven, a heretic, Andalusian, married a stuttering wife and, to top it all off, effeminate.

My aging ruler parcels off his emirates to each of his sons, revoking titles and imprisoning where necessary to ensure that each of the five sons could have a duchy to their own, they can hand out their own titles to vassals and, just before doing this, improved holdings to make sure they could each have their own massive levies. Marriages are arranged to the four great kingdoms of the Arabic world which have existed in a pretty much fair balance for a century or more. The Seljuk, Abbassid, Malian and Almoravid (by this point in control of Spain and Portugal only) all gain claims on Africa through my various other sons and daughters.

The knives come out and prince saiid (the good one) dies an unfortunate death. I move my personal levies to an area with tuberculosis and luckily my 70 year old king catches it. I then do Ramadan and pick all the impious decadence raising events, while deliberately pissing off the Caliph.

Two years later my king dies and my craven son (who at this point is maimed as well) gets the throne.

I unpause and the entire Arabic world explodes into the largest war the world has ever seen - every empire immediately at war with everyone else while my primary title (Sicily) sits with huge stacks raised on it stopping any attack. Literally everyone is at war over who owns my 5 emirates and the kingdom of Africa. Religious divisions over the heresies I've carefully been promoting caused a jihad of Sunni vs Shiite, the Mongols just turned up and the Pope has taken advantage of the chaos to launch the fourth crusade to Jerusalem.

I loving love this game.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Raserys posted:

So with the last iteration of CK2+ out, can someone repost the landed_titles file with the added cultural names?

Here it is. I'm going to start work on a vanilla version.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I was playing a Islamic King of Scotland and had married the King of Africa's daughter, my king dies and I'm playing as a kid then I suddenly get a notification that the Prince of Africa is court as he was ousted. So I've set him up as the Duke of Moray hoping I can make something good out of having him as my vassal.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Playing as Ludolfingers-cum-HRE, managed to place my son-in-law on the Byzantine throne and marry my grandson to his (only child) daughter. What do I do once the great-grandchild inherits both?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Playing as Ludolfingers-cum-HRE, managed to place my son-in-law on the Byzantine throne and marry my grandson to his (only child) daughter. What do I do once the great-grandchild inherits both?

Destroy one of the empires. Due to the "born in purple" Mechanic the HRE always has a slightly different succession than the ERE and you are running risk of splitting the titles.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Tell me about being a king in CKII. I can play CKII pretty well starting as an Irish count or duke but once I get up to the King level I just get completely overwhelmed by all the options. Please Send Help

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
What exactly is the problem? I'm not trying to talk down to you just the general principle is the same just another level.

If you're getting a lot of rebellions, spread your vassals around and give it to people who like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BabyFur Denny posted:

Destroy one of the empires. Due to the "born in purple" Mechanic the HRE always has a slightly different succession than the ERE and you are running risk of splitting the titles.

Once the Byzantines change to the Latin Empire, do they keep the Born in the Purple mechanic?

• Locked thread