Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

crestfallen posted:

I have an iPhone. I have AT&T but am traveling more and would like to switch to Verizon for better coverage. Through work, I get about the same discount for both. Still not sure it makes financial sense though.

I pay ~$75/mo. Absolute minimum options with ATT. That means like 450 minutes, 300 MBs of internet, and 1500 texts (ugh). It works fine for me.

What is the rough Verizon equivalent to the above? Last time I checked, I think it came out a decent bit more expensive on Verizon.

It would be $80 per month for unlimited minutes and texts plus 500 MB of data minus whatever discount you get (I think it would only discount the $40 access charge) then various fees and such. It might actually work out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

crestfallen posted:

I have an iPhone. I have AT&T but am traveling more and would like to switch to Verizon for better coverage. Through work, I get about the same discount for both. Still not sure it makes financial sense though.

I pay ~$75/mo. Absolute minimum options with ATT. That means like 450 minutes, 300 MBs of internet, and 1500 texts (ugh). It works fine for me.

What is the rough Verizon equivalent to the above? Last time I checked, I think it came out a decent bit more expensive on Verizon.

$29.99 - Nationwide 65+ 250min/500 N&W
$10 - 1000 SMS/MMS
$30 - 2GB Data

$69.99 :eng99:

Check for a work discount though

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thanks guys. It looks like there might be some options that bring the gap a bit closer than the last time I checked.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

SeaborneClink posted:

$29.99 - Nationwide 65+ 250min/500 N&W
$10 - 1000 SMS/MMS
$30 - 2GB Data

$69.99 :eng99:

Check for a work discount though

The 65+ plan is only for :corsair: customers. Assuming that crestfallen isn't 65 or older, what's the next best option?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

The 65+ plan is only for :corsair: customers. Assuming that crestfallen isn't 65 or older, what's the next best option?
As I posted above, the base Share Everything plan is $80 ($40 smartphone access + $40 500 GB data) for unlimited text and phone with 500 MB of data.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Hey guys, I'm on Sprint but a friend's Droid just died mid-contract. What's the best not too expensive smart phone she can pick up on eBay or Craigslist?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

rhombus posted:

Hey guys, I'm on Sprint but a friend's Droid just died mid-contract. What's the best not too expensive smart phone she can pick up on eBay or Craigslist?

Is this for Verizon or Sprint? In going to assume Verizon since you said Droid.

Give us a budget and the device she had before it died and we could probably better help you.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is this for Verizon or Sprint? In going to assume Verizon since you said Droid.

Give us a budget and the device she had before it died and we could probably better help you.

Ha, I did post in the Verizon thread for a reason! But now that I think about it that bit about Sprint was not really helpful...

I'm not sure exactly which model she had, but it is a Motorola phone. Are there any decent options under $200? She is thinking about going to an iPhone, but I'm guessing there are better options at similar price points.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

rhombus posted:

Ha, I did post in the Verizon thread for a reason! But now that I think about it that bit about Sprint was not really helpful...

I'm not sure exactly which model she had, but it is a Motorola phone. Are there any decent options under $200? She is thinking about going to an iPhone, but I'm guessing there are better options at similar price points.

Ah poo poo, I didn't even realize this was the Verizon thread :v: all of the Inspect Your Gadgets threads in my bookmarks kinda blend together.

Anyways, I just searched on eBay and it looks like you can get a Droid Razr Maxx (the original, not HD) for around $200. The phone still holds up pretty well, and the battery life is really, really loving good when compared to other smartphones.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

611 is only a phone call away. They can't refuse if asked to switch to that plan, same way they cannot refuse a plan change to the nationwide messaging (for HH/HI) plan.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Galaxy S3s can be had for used $200 pretty regularly as well.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

611 is only a phone call away. They can't refuse if asked to switch to that plan, same way they cannot refuse a plan change to the nationwide messaging (for HH/HI) plan.
The official way to check eligibility for the 65+ plan over the phone is to ask the year you were born. In store you must show valid ID.

I don't especially condone lying about your age but there are effectively no repercussions and I'm not stopping you.

The messaging only plan was designed for but isn't restricted to hearing impaired. I've used it for people in places where they can't get voice coverage but can text.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Quick question that might not be specifically Verizon related: I'm trying to buy a GS4 off contract to keep my unlimited data. Is there a reason to pay the full retail $650 for it? Basically I'm asking if there's a catch with the new S4s listed on eBay for $580ish. I've never purchased a phone off contract before so I have no idea...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

canoshiz posted:

Quick question that might not be specifically Verizon related: I'm trying to buy a GS4 off contract to keep my unlimited data. Is there a reason to pay the full retail $650 for it? Basically I'm asking if there's a catch with the new S4s listed on eBay for $580ish. I've never purchased a phone off contract before so I have no idea...

As long as the ESN is clean you should be ok.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

canoshiz posted:

Besides ESN, you might want to check if Samsung/Verizon will honor the manufactures warranty if you don't buy it from an authorized reseller (which I would imagine many eBay sellers are not).

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
I know this question has been asked and kinda answered in a billion different ways, but I still don't quite think I get it. What do I need to do get a new phone onto my unlimited plan without losing that plan?

As I understand it, there's four possible avenues.

Situation 1: No upgrades are available.
a. Pay full retail price for device of choice

2) Upgrade is available on another line that does not have unlimited data
a. Use upgrade on non-unlimited line to purchase desired phone at subsidized price.
b. Activate new phone on non-unlimited line
c. Re-activate old phone on non-unlimited line
d. Activate new phone on unlimited line

3) Upgrade is available on the line with unlimited data
a. Transfer upgrade to non-unlimited line
b. Go to 2a

4) Upgrade is available on two lines, one with unlimited data, and one without
a. Go to 2a
b. Transfer upgrade from unlimited line to non-unlimited line

What are the caveats and pitfalls here? What is the lingo that I need to know to overcome those caveats and pitfalls? What happens if the new phone you want requires a sim card that is a different size from what's on the non-unlimited line or on the unlimited line?

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 8, 2013

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

bam thwok posted:

I know this question has been asked and kinda answered in a billion different ways, but I still don't quite think I get it. What do I need to do get a new phone onto my unlimited plan without losing that plan?

As I understand it, there's three possible avenues.

Situation 1: No upgrades are available.
a. Pay full retail price for device of choice

2) Upgrade is available on another line that does not have unlimited data
a. Use upgrade on non-unlimited line to purchase desired phone at subsidized price.
b. Activate new phone on non-unlimited line
c. Re-activate old phone on non-unlimited line
d. Activate new phone on unlimited line

3) Upgrade is available on the line with unlimited data
a. Transfer upgrade to non-unlimited line
b. Go to 2a

4) Upgrade is available on two lines, one with unlimited data, and one without
a. Go to 2a
b. Transfer upgrade from unlimited line to non-unlimited line

What are the caveats and pitfalls here? What is the lingo that I need to know to overcome those caveats and pitfalls? What happens if the new phone you want requires a sim card that is a different size from what's on the non-unlimited line or on the unlimited line?

All of those should work as long as you are careful about where you activate the phone. If you need a new SIM you can get one for free at a direct store or have it shipped from customer service.

Asspire
Dec 9, 2006
I am planning on leaving Verizon because my employee discount is expiring at the end of this month. I currently have a family plan with four lines. One of the lines wishes to stay with Verizon and transfer to their own plan. Another line is going to move to sprint. The final two lines I will be taking to T-Mobile. All lines currently have grandfathered in unlimited data plans. What would be the best path to take to ensure the one line that is staying with Verizon does not lose their unlimited data ?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Asspire posted:

I am planning on leaving Verizon because my employee discount is expiring at the end of this month. I currently have a family plan with four lines. One of the lines wishes to stay with Verizon and transfer to their own plan. Another line is going to move to sprint. The final two lines I will be taking to T-Mobile. All lines currently have grandfathered in unlimited data plans. What would be the best path to take to ensure the one line that is staying with Verizon does not lose their unlimited data ?

Do a transfer of liability on the one line that wants to keep verizon.

You call verizon, tell them you want to do a transfer of liability, give the person taking the lines name and phone number.

That person then calls verizon and completes the transfer of liability. They will have a credit check and everything just like a new customer. They will then be given voice/text options to attach to the unlimited data.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Well now you can sign up to get more information regarding the HTC One on Verizon. There's still no date or price though.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/devices/htc-one.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have an iPhone 4 that is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'd like to upgrade to a 5 or even the upcoming rumored 5S when it becomes available, but I do not want to lose the unlimited data plan I am currently grandfathered into. Short of buying an unlocked phone for full retail value, is there anything I can do to keep my unlimited plan and still get the new (subsidized) phone? I don't even use that much data, it's mostly wifi at home - it's the peace of mind that I'm worried about. When I have to start worrying about limits is when my user experience begins to degrade.

I've been with Verizon for over a decade and I get an employee discount as well, so I am loathe to consider other carriers.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Falco posted:

Well now you can sign up to get more information regarding the HTC One on Verizon. There's still no date or price though.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/devices/htc-one.html

29th is the latest my Vendors are giving me.

They are also doing a buy 20, get one free for floor sample/salesmen demo promo for us, so I am getting myself a free phone to play with. :dance:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Midniter posted:

I have an iPhone 4 that is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'd like to upgrade to a 5 or even the upcoming rumored 5S when it becomes available, but I do not want to lose the unlimited data plan I am currently grandfathered into. Short of buying an unlocked phone for full retail value, is there anything I can do to keep my unlimited plan and still get the new (subsidized) phone? I don't even use that much data, it's mostly wifi at home - it's the peace of mind that I'm worried about. When I have to start worrying about limits is when my user experience begins to degrade.

I've been with Verizon for over a decade and I get an employee discount as well, so I am loathe to consider other carriers.

bam thwok's post a few above yours is the most concise explanation I've seen yet and I wish I could bookmark posts.

If in the case you will lose unlimited and have no choice but to go tiered, I'd recommend checking the your account if you haven't already to see your usage. It only goes back 6 months, but hopefully in that time period you can recall why you needed more data than another month.

I'm glad I checked. Even though I'm still unlimited for a little while, I found out that the 20 minute commute + random driving around time listening to google music took a huge chunk of data. Sure, I downloaded a few things/facebooked/etc. But I'd go over 6gb easy in a month.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Doctor Butts posted:

I wish I could bookmark posts.

Click the little pound/number symbol to the left of the date posted on their post.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Falco posted:

Click the little pound/number symbol to the left of the date posted on their post.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=418225601

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The VoLTE roadmap has been discussed today.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/13/verizon-cfo-lays-out-verizons-volte-roadmap/

The first phone capable of VoLTE will come out before the end of the year, but Verizon won't be lighting up VoLTE until the first half of 2014. The big issue? There will be no handoffs to CDMA, the call will simply drop if you lose LTE. So, apparently that's one little technical hurdle they can't overcome and want to be sure the LTE network is capable enough that this won't be a huge issue.

From there, things move quickly, they expect their first LTE ONLY phones to be sold toward the end of 2014. As everyone knows, this is where things get interesting since the lack of CDMA hardware in the phones causes a whoooooole lotta open access stuff to come into play. He also mentions he could see phone subsidies go away when they move LTE only since lack of CDMA hardware should bring cost down.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

bull3964 posted:

He also mentions he could see phone subsidies go away when they move LTE only since lack of CDMA hardware should bring cost down.

This seems likely.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've sort of wondered if VoLTE phones will be the way they push the last unlimited data users off.

"I'm sorry, sir, this phone uses new technology that is only compatible with our Share Everything plans."

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

I've sort of wondered if VoLTE phones will be the way they push the last unlimited data users off.

"I'm sorry, sir, this phone uses new technology that is only compatible with our Share Everything plans."

They could probably spin it that way, but in reality how many unlimited data users will there be by then? It'll probably a super small amount of people overall, not many people are willing to spend $600 for a phone upfront to keep unlimited, or have a family plan where they can keep stealing upgrades.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They could probably spin it that way, but in reality how many unlimited data users will there be by then? It'll probably a super small amount of people overall, not many people are willing to spend $600 for a phone upfront to keep unlimited, or have a family plan where they can keep stealing upgrades.

It also makes you wonder how much data VoLTE will eat up? Having unlimited anytime minutes sounds fine and dandy, but if you're sharing 1-4 gigs, and all of you talk all the time, will you be punished for going over data caps? Or even someone with an individual plan who has 1-2 gigs, and has to make calls constantly due to work/family... These fuckers are genius..

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm sure the data for VoLTE will probably be in its own bucket. Just the same as I'm sure they will do voice minutes even if voice is just packets.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

I'm sure the data for VoLTE will probably be in its own bucket. Just the same as I'm sure they will do voice minutes even if voice is just packets.

Yeah, I can't imagine them shoving everything together like that.

Explaining to customers the difference between minutes and data was bad enough :psyduck: I don't think they're going to want to deal with piling everything together and having angry customers not understand that 1 minute of phone conversation = 1mb or something like that.

This is one of the few times where keeping everything separate probably makes it easier for most customers...

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Convergence is the name of the game, boys and girls. I, for one, would not be the least bit surprised if they decide to murder everyone with an all in one bucket where data+voice=the same drat thing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the bigger thing to come out of everything being VoLTE is that it could lead the way to buying unlocked phones from other places and using them on VZW by using a VZW sim card. No more CDMA hardware lock out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cuedotcom posted:

Convergence is the name of the game, boys and girls. I, for one, would not be the least bit surprised if they decide to murder everyone with an all in one bucket where data+voice=the same drat thing.

It's a customer support nightmare and they can make more money by keeping them as separate buckets. They won't be able to advertise their plans as unlimited voice and then charge on the back end for data for the voice calls.

VoLTE data rate is only about 12.65kbps max. That's about 1mb for every 10 minutes of phone conversation.

Hell, we should be so lucky that they get rid of separate voice/text pricing and make it all data because people who make very few calls would make out like bandits on the new plans (I wouldn't only use about 50mb of data on voice a month), but they won't

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

It's a customer support nightmare and they can make more money by keeping them as separate buckets. They won't be able to advertise their plans as unlimited voice and then charge on the back end for data for the voice calls.

VoLTE data rate is only about 12.65kbps max. That's about 1mb for every 10 minutes of phone conversation.

Hell, we should be so lucky that they get rid of separate voice/text pricing and make it all data because people who make very few calls would make out like bandits on the new plans (I wouldn't only use about 50mb of data on voice a month), but they won't

I think its more likely they will just keep voice and text as unlimited and not count it against your data usage since it would be pretty easy to do from a billing point of view and voice data usage would be negligible for most users.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

He also mentions he could see phone subsidies go away when they move LTE only since lack of CDMA hardware should bring cost down.
Haha yeah, Verizon will definitely get rid of their bread and butter.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Im honestly surprised ATT/Verizon are moving away from the 20 month upgrade since it gets people to get a new contract before their old one is up. If they force people to 24 months and actually out of contract it may make people look elsewhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

The carriers don't really make money on subsidies. It's not as if Motorola is selling them the phone for $300 and the price over that they pocket as profit. In fact, most carriers have reported not making any money at all on things like the iPhone because the subsidy doesn't cover the discount consumers are getting on the phone. Their hardware margins are similar to any retailer selling any electronic good and in reality a bit slimmer because they usually kick in a few accessories for free.

In fact, Verizon stands to make more money if subsidized phones went away. If Verizon could sell you a smart phone for $300 free and clear, they would jump at the chance. Because then they could keep their monthly cost the same (or even discount it some token amount), but then they wouldn't have to use that money to cover the cost gap in the hardware.

The other fallacy is that "they want everyone on contract because it keeps them from jumping ship!" Things like family share plans keep people from jumping ship because it's a PITA to move 10 lines from carrier to carrier. In reality, both AT&T and Verizon have less than 1% churn rate. They don't need contracts to keep people, people are perfectly happy staying where they are.

Verizon and AT&T don't need to worry about contacts because there's no competition in the industry. It's a lateral move to switch between those two carriers so most people don't bother.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

e: f,b

Endless Mike posted:

Nobody ever said they'd pass the savings onto the customers.

Don Lapre posted:

Im honestly surprised ATT/Verizon are moving away from the 20 month upgrade since it gets people to get a new contract before their old one is up. If they force people to 24 months and actually out of contract it may make people look elsewhere.

I suppose some bean counter did an analysis that getting the extra margin they'd get on the 4 additional months of service w/ no new phone outweighed the risk of someone shopping for carriers. Their churn rate is a little below 1%, so I guess you'd price the "risk of losing a customer" at 1% of 24 months' worth of profit margin. That's going to be way less than what you'd make in extra profit right now by forcing people to run out the clock on their contracts.

• Locked thread