Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I received my copy of Dumb Numbers yesterday so they are on their way it seems. Very pretty looking vinyl, though no Lynch print :smith:

I also added 'Set and Setting' to my Bardo Pond collection bringing it up to a massive two albums. Still jealous of someone finding a copy of 'Lapsed', maybe that should go on my Christmas list with 'Amanita'. I wish Matador would reprint these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

CPL593H posted:

That true as well. I actually feel physically dirty from that. I really just don't enjoy digging through 8,000 copies of Mitch Miller's Christmas album, Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits, and the Funny Girl soundtrack on the off chance that I might find a VG copy of Harvest.

To each their own I suppose, I crave days off where I can go do this.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

That true as well. I actually feel physically dirty from that. I really just don't enjoy digging through 8,000 copies of Mitch Miller's Christmas album, Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits, and the Funny Girl soundtrack on the off chance that I might find a VG copy of Harvest.

Excuse me, but what if one of those copies of Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits was a Super-White-Hot-Super-Nova Stamper, and you just put it aside? I can't live with that. I am in search of the greatest pressing, the one that will let me hear Mandy just like it was being played in the room just for me. It is a hunt for perfection, and it is one that I will gladly give up my apartment for.

All of my friends, consequently, think I'm a huge Barry Manilow fan. I'm not. I'm just trying to fill a niche in the market.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

cheapandugly's package came through, and it is a quality thing. I am hugely pleased, thanks.

Glad you got it, and glad you liked it. I think it's a pretty solid tribute, and the Invasives track is the best one on it.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Ron Burgundy posted:

To each their own I suppose, I crave days off where I can go do this.

I do too, mildewy fingers and all. That said, I only really do it at one convention that occurs locally once every few months, and I know precisely which booth(s) to hit first for the best poo poo for the best prices. Of course, I'm not the only one in the know, so it's still a lottery-like competition where you hope that you chose the right bin, and not the guy (it's always a guy, I almost never see women there) next to you. Few record-related things are more frustrating than flipping through Lawrence Welk's entire discography while the guy next to you is pulling out a stack of choice post-punk selections for 60% of the average going rates on eBay.

It's also funny how, at feeding frenzies, everyone always eyeballs each other to see what everyone else is scoring, like, "What's that record you pulled out really quickly and stuffed into your bag? What did you beat me out for, you lucky bastard? Is it super-rare and super-cheap and you're afraid that if someone else notices it, they'll tell the vendor it's underpriced and offer more $$ for it?" (On the very rare occasions that I score something amazing for cheap, I'm always paranoid about the seller finding out his mistake before I pay and walk away. In these cases, I usually buy some common "decoy" records along with it--maybe a Pat Benatar, a Huey Lewis, and an Eagles greatest hits--to distract attention from the Real Purchase.)

Cemetry Gator posted:

Excuse me, but what if one of those copies of Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits was a Super-White-Hot-Super-Nova Stamper, and you just put it aside? I can't live with that. I am in search of the greatest pressing, the one that will let me hear Mandy just like it was being played in the room just for me. It is a hunt for perfection, and it is one that I will gladly give up my apartment for.

All of my friends, consequently, think I'm a huge Barry Manilow fan. I'm not. I'm just trying to fill a niche in the market.

And don't forget this audiophile classic. Every copy is a white hot stamper!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

CPL593H posted:

Which reminds me. I stumbled upon some site recently that was going to put out the soundtrack for the original Solaris. I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it though.

I just stumbled on this, looks like there were two pressings but the European one is sold out.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Move over Record Store Day! Get out your boomboxes and stereo shelf units for CASSETTE STORE DAY! http://cassettestoreday.com/

Can't wait until they rerelease Rumors on the glorious cassette medium!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

As dumb as it sounds, I checked the price on that Relationship of Command tape. 28 bux.

I have a ton of cassettes of stuff that was never released on vinyl, which is a great idea. But 28 bux for something I just got at RSD, yeah no thanks.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Doomy posted:

I recently emailed Mondo because one LP in their Raid soundtrack release had a similar problem, they sent me a replacement record free of charge a couple weeks later. YMMV of course.

I got it through Reckless Records in Chicago so I have my doubts that they can help me, but I'll give it a shot.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I bought a huge bin of about 300 cassettes for $10 this weekend. I picked out about 50 good ones, shoved the rest in my basement, and still felt like I wasted money. I don't think I'll ever be able to get back into cassettes, no matter how much they remind me of my youth. Maybe if I still had a car with a tape deck...

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I feel the same way about CDs as I do about cassettes. I just don't ever have a need to put a CD into a player or car anymore.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wa27 posted:

I bought a huge bin of about 300 cassettes for $10 this weekend. I picked out about 50 good ones, shoved the rest in my basement, and still felt like I wasted money. I don't think I'll ever be able to get back into cassettes, no matter how much they remind me of my youth. Maybe if I still had a car with a tape deck...

I have a car with a tape deck. That thing is exclusively for running an adapter to my iPhone.

...the Hell I'm gonna waste good vinyl money on loving cassettes. Just give me the mp3. Don't have one? Not even a rip? Then I'm just going to assume that your music isn't worth listening to. :colbert:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 5, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

izationalizer posted:

I do too, mildewy fingers and all. That said, I only really do it at one convention that occurs locally once every few months, and I know precisely which booth(s) to hit first for the best poo poo for the best prices. Of course, I'm not the only one in the know, so it's still a lottery-like competition where you hope that you chose the right bin, and not the guy (it's always a guy, I almost never see women there) next to you. Few record-related things are more frustrating than flipping through Lawrence Welk's entire discography while the guy next to you is pulling out a stack of choice post-punk selections for 60% of the average going rates on eBay.

It's also funny how, at feeding frenzies, everyone always eyeballs each other to see what everyone else is scoring, like, "What's that record you pulled out really quickly and stuffed into your bag? What did you beat me out for, you lucky bastard? Is it super-rare and super-cheap and you're afraid that if someone else notices it, they'll tell the vendor it's underpriced and offer more $$ for it?" (On the very rare occasions that I score something amazing for cheap, I'm always paranoid about the seller finding out his mistake before I pay and walk away. In these cases, I usually buy some common "decoy" records along with it--maybe a Pat Benatar, a Huey Lewis, and an Eagles greatest hits--to distract attention from the Real Purchase.)

I'm guilty of everything here, but it's not even just the fairs for me. I love digging through records at charity shops, and a couple of my favourite shops have pretty big ???$2??? sections.

I even dig through the poo poo that has just been dropped off and not priced yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

david puddy posted:

I just stumbled on this, looks like there were two pressings but the European one is sold out.

Yeah that's the one.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Move over Record Store Day! Get out your boomboxes and stereo shelf units for CASSETTE STORE DAY! http://cassettestoreday.com/

Can't wait until they rerelease Rumors on the glorious cassette medium!

Awesome, I'd love to pay premium prices for music on the worst sounding format!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Awesome, I'd love to pay premium prices for music on the worst sounding format!

It's only a matter of time until we have 8-track day, and then Cylinder day, and then piano roll day.

Frankly, you just haven't heard Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" until you've heard it from a turn of the century player piano. The warmness that Just Like a Woman gets from that honkey-tonk piano is even better than the best mono issue.

I can't wait for VHS day.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Just picked this up:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

Just picked this up:

I have a vinyl copy of almost every single Billy Joel release until the '90s, no joke. I'm from the Tri-state, what do you want me to say?

Billy Joel owns and anyone who would disagree is going to have to fight me. :colbert:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Yup great album.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
whoosh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have a vinyl copy of almost every single Billy Joel release until the '90s, no joke. I'm from the Tri-state, what do you want me to say?

Billy Joel owns and anyone who would disagree is going to have to fight me. :colbert:

I was born in New Jersey, and I find myself constantly having to explain Billy Joel to confused Texans. There's one in my circle of acquaintances who was under the impression that the nearest equivalent to Billy Joel when she was growing up in the mid-70s was Barry Manilow. What. WHAT. NO.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
New cassettes are cool when a punk band makes a bunch and sells them for a couple bucks. Cassette store day is the most infuriating thing I've ever heard. $28 for ATDI? The gently caress?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
cassettes and VHS are cool as hell. What is wrong with you guys? I'm always way more satisfied when I find great albums on tape. Like last week when I found two Skinny Puppy tapes mixed in with a bunch of Christian, self help, and Phil Collins albums.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kevar posted:

New cassettes are cool when a punk band makes a bunch and sells them for a couple bucks. Cassette store day is the most infuriating thing I've ever heard. $28 for ATDI? The gently caress?

Yeah, but even still- at this point in time there is almost no "publish to cassette" option that is objectively better for a band than investing that money somewhere else.

It's 2013, not 1998. The same people who would've recorded on a portable tape machine in their garage 15 years ago are using their laptops for that stuff and publishing on Bandcamp today.

All of the benefits that vinyl has over straight mp3s- the artwork, the included lyrics or other ephemera, the (arguable) sound quality benefit- all of that is nonexistent with cassette.

If your band releases an album exclusively on cassette and makes it unavailable in any other format in the Year of our Lord 2013, then they are being lovely and obnoxious for its own sake and deserve every amount of obscurity that they get.* If they release a tape along with the digital tracks, then fine, whatever- but I still don't get the appeal.

*The exception being artists in places like sub-Saharan Africa where cassette remains the dominant format because of extreme poverty.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I don't know about cassette EXCLUSIVE releases, but it's way cheaper for a band to make a bunch of tapes to sell on tour than to get vinyl pressed.

It's just a cool DIY physical release bands who give their MP3s away anyways can do. At the Drive In putting out $30 tapes is inexcusable though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

cassettes and VHS are cool as hell. What is wrong with you guys? I'm always way more satisfied when I find great albums on tape. Like last week when I found two Skinny Puppy tapes mixed in with a bunch of Christian, self help, and Phil Collins albums.

Because they sound/look like poo poo. The music on them is highly compressed and the actual media is prone to all kinds of other unwanted noise. Once in a while I actually watch a movie on tape (I only do this for stuff that was never reissued) and it just blows my mind that this is how I watched movies at home for the first half of my life. Cropped image, low resolution, awful warbling sound. There's nothing to love about VHS tapes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kevar posted:

I don't know about cassette EXCLUSIVE releases, but it's way cheaper for a band to make a bunch of tapes to sell on tour than to get vinyl pressed.

It's about a $1-2k difference for ~500 LPs from a good indie press vs tapes (and the ~$2k estimate is essentially assuming that the tapes were free).

If your band is in the sort of financial situation where that means something then I can think of about a million better things to invest that money in than some lovely cassettes: make more/different shirts/posters/merch, make stickers, rent some studio time, get a website made, contract the services of an artist/graphic designer, buy some gear, invest the money in gas and tour longer....

Honestly, getting vinyl made isn't that expensive. Hell if we wanted to, we could publish our very own goon EP. I'd pay some money for that.....:allears:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 6, 2013

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
How cheap are cd-rs nowadays? Like pennies each I'm assuming. There's no excuse for tapes.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's about a $1-2k difference for ~500 LPs from a good indie press vs tapes.

If your band is in the sort of financial situation where that means something then I can think of about a million better things to invest that money in than some lovely cassettes: make more/different shirts/posters/merch, make stickers, rent some studio time, get a website made, contract the services of an artist/graphic designer, buy some gear, invest the money in gas and tour longer....

And making colored versions of a different type of outdated format.

Most of the people who release on tapes do so because its cheaper. Mainly because they are not releasing in quantities that your talking about. Plus there are a lot of unique points to a cassette tape as well when you do take in its limitations. If you take in consideration the compression you can get unique sounds and tape warble is great.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

All of the benefits that vinyl has over straight mp3s- the artwork, the included lyrics or other ephemera, the (arguable) sound quality benefit- all of that is nonexistent with cassette.

Yeah all those things are available with every tape I have purchased in the past while. You have zero idea what your talking about.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

And making colored versions of a different type of outdated format.

Most of the people who release on tapes do so because its cheaper. Mainly because they are not releasing in quantities that your talking about. Plus there are a lot of unique points to a cassette tape as well when you do take in its limitations. If you take in consideration the compression you can get unique sounds and tape warble is great.

Yeah all those things are available with every tape I have purchased in the past while. You have zero idea what your talking about.

I get that you're into tapes and I understand where you're coming from (to riff on what you said, vinyl's absolutely another outdated format), but you are trying really hard to make an argument that simply doesn't exist.

Let's break it down:

Artwork- let's see, ~12"x12" (plus the gatefold if there is one) vs. 4" x (roughly) 3"....point goes to vinyl.

Included lyric sheets and ephemera like art cards, stickers, posters, or other knicknacks- Unless you're handing out a manilla envelope full of stuff with every cassette tape, then you simply don't have a twentieth of the real estate that vinyl's got.

Sound quality- Are you loving kidding me, this isn't even debatable.

I have exactly one idea of what I'm talking about : cassettes are wack. That's all the ideas I need. I'm not talking out of my rear end either- I see them at shows all the time and I choose not to buy them or take them if they're free. What's the point if I'm not gonna listen to them?

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
No one is saying you need to buy cassettes, it's cool they aren't your thing. But they aren't in competition with vinyl. They are far cheaper and easier to make and some people like to have them. No band is going to press copies of the demo they recorded in their basement. Dub some tapes, through some inserts together, and sell 'em for a couple bucks. It's like bands making patches instead of shirts. It's cheaper and no one is going to go broke because they didn't sell enough.

I know people who think it's ridiculous I buy records and blurays because "You can just download everything for free"

Besides, this started with Cassette Store Day, which I think we can all agree is the worst.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vinyl records maybe well be an "outdated format", but they are far from being an obsolete format. I wouldn't say the same thing about cassette tapes.

Also if a local band with no money wants to make some physical copies of their music to sell at shows, why wouldn't they go with burning CDs? If cost is a factor, you can get a spindle of 100 blank CDs for twenty bucks. And being as said band likely recorded their music to a computer or digital device, this already makes more sense on that basis alone.

Kevar posted:

Besides, this started with Cassette Store Day, which I think we can all agree is the worst.

Also there are and never were cassette stores.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
What about those punk bands that get old 8 tracks and record their own poo poo over the top, and slap a home made label on it.

Yeah, but what's the point.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
HA HA JESUS CHRIST COLLECTING RECORDS SEEMS LIKE A GREAT loving IDEA UNTIL YOU HAVE TO MOVE

HOLY poo poo MY ARMS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

HA HA JESUS CHRIST COLLECTING RECORDS SEEMS LIKE A GREAT loving IDEA UNTIL YOU HAVE TO MOVE

HOLY poo poo MY ARMS

You didn't do the paper bag thing?

Get a shitload of bags, put in as many records as will comfortably fit in each, carry a zillion bags instead of boxes heavy enough to kill any toddler or pet if they accidentally fall. (Of course they're not stackable which can be a problem).

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
^^where were you six months ago!

I, Butthole posted:

HOLY poo poo MY ARMS

I feel your pain. Moved a couple of months ago. Had to carry a shitload of boxes up 6 flights of stairs. Holy gently caress.

poo poo aged my back about a decade.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 6, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You haven't really moved until you've moved a jukebox that doesn't fit in the elevator.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Thankfully I've only got three crates worth, and using it to justify buying a bunch of Expedit stuff from Ikea. Any recommendations for boxes that fit within that for 7"s?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I moved a couple thousand a few months ago. Worst terrible. Paper bags like that are pretty scarce here, so I don't think it would have helped me much.

Actually come to think of it Aussies pretty much hate anything that isn't nature destroying plastic.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I've scored a ton of great tapes for $1-2 at Punk shows that have killer artwork and lyrics sheets from bands that couldn't afford the time/money to press vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cassette tapes and VHS tapes rule and I'm very sad for people who don't see this. Degraded quality over time is half the fun.

FLAC is wack.