Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Mark Webber is still the handsomest dude, anyone have a gif of him wiggling his eyebrows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aericura
Jun 12, 2003
I will eat your soul.

Sudo Echo posted:

Mark Webber is still the handsomest dude, anyone have a gif of him wiggling his eyebrows?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All I could think after seeing the RR factory in that last segment was "drat, Rolls are so loving cool".

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
I'm so proud to be part of the commonwealth.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's a shame the series was so short, but I admit the end of that episode was fantastic. I honestly think they could have made that segment even longer and gone into more of what was there. Glorious.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Wow, that last segment was terrific. They even got the P45 in the final shot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chiming in on the "holy poo poo that final segment" bandwagon.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So if the window switch in your Chevy was breathed on by a Brit then the car can join the parade as being "manufactured in Britain!"?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Top Gear just made me proud to be British.

I work in the Toyota factory.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Maybe I'm the only one, but I really didnt like the last segment. But I hate over the top nationalism and it just felt like pandering to the audience to me.

EDIT: Meh, I'm not surprised they would pander to the audience. Just doesn't interest me. Don't really have a whole lot of love for British engineering over all and no love for nationalism.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 5, 2013

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sadi posted:

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really didnt like the last segment. But I hate over the top nationalism and it just felt like pandering to the audience to me.

Hmmm yes why would a loving entertainment show pander to it's audience?! Makes you think.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sadi posted:

it just felt like pandering to the audience to me.

You are aware you were watching television, right?

e: t:mad: ZI

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Sadi posted:

EDIT: Meh, I'm not surprised they would pander to the audience. Just doesn't interest me. Don't really have a whole lot of love for British engineering over all and no love for nationalism.

No you're not the only one, I didn't like that last segment at all.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I was kinda disappointed that they didn't have The Stig take the F-Type around the test track, but I'm wondering if they're saving it for a shoot-out segment in the next season.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Kenshin posted:

I was kinda disappointed that they didn't have The Stig take the F-Type around the test track, but I'm wondering if they're saving it for a shoot-out segment in the next season.

That segment was straight up product placement, I imagine they didn't want to throw it around the track because it wouldn't do well statistically.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

Wow that last segment was fantastic. Even as a pure blooded American, I couldn't help but feel proud for the brits.

Totally agree. And I raged again against the hegemony of NASCAR and stagnation of virtually every other motorsport in this country.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I liked it but didn't love it. The last segment that is.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Backov posted:

That segment was straight up product placement, I imagine they didn't want to throw it around the track because it wouldn't do well statistically.

Maybe, but it honestly didn't sound too different from Chris Harris' take on it.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I bet most of those cars were designed in southern California anyway. Nice try brits :911:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is France really the only country that doesn't watch any British made motoring shows? It seems really weird that they wouldn't but the rest of the segment was pretty serious so I'm not sure if it was a joke or not.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Backov posted:

But that sound. Yeah it probably wasn't competitive for its cost and I didn't think it was that pretty, also, lol spare wheel.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pik_d posted:

Is France really the only country that doesn't watch any British made motoring shows? It seems really weird that they wouldn't but the rest of the segment was pretty serious so I'm not sure if it was a joke or not.

It was a joke because of the "bad blood" between the Brits and French that's been around for centuries.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's kind of unfair to single it out. Most small roadsters have exactly the same problem (the BMW Z4 comes to mind), but nobody notices because they don't come with a spare wheel.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Cakefool posted:

But that sound. Yeah it probably wasn't competitive for its cost and I didn't think it was that pretty, also, lol spare wheel.

Yea FEELS like an M3, and LAPS like an M3 are very different things. Still, that Jag is mad preatty

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That trunk looked more useless than the NA Miata one, which isn't very good for a larger car.

The last segment was a bit too :britain::fh: for my taste. Not that I have any serious issues with the UK (at least since decolonization), but just the general nationalistic pandering of it. Imagine if the same thing was done unironically with, say, American cars. Three guys in convertible Camaros driving in front of the capitol with American flags sticking out while talking about how many cars Honda builds in the US and how American-made differentials are used in German cars or something. I dunno, just seemed almost laughable to me.

Other than that though I thought this was a very good episode. Enjoyed James' bus adventures and even the SIARPC, it was nice to see the Liana again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It was a good rebuttal of the idea that nothing was made in the UK though, even if "made" was stretched to breaking point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If they did an American version they'd need the entire D.C. mall to hold everything.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It's kind of unfair to single it out. Most small roadsters have exactly the same problem (the BMW Z4 comes to mind), but nobody notices because they don't come with a spare wheel.

TBH I don't see the point of a spare wheel in a car like that unless you're taking it to a track day.

No spare in my M3 and I don't know where I'd put it anyway. If I get a flat I'm calling a loving tow truck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Doesn't the z4 have run flats? I seem to remember when the Z4M came out, they replaced the run flats.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Fucknag posted:

If they did an American version they'd need the entire D.C. mall to hold everything.

Yeah but that would look loving epic and they should totally do that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't the z4 have run flats? I seem to remember when the Z4M came out, they replaced the run flats.

Dunno, I put PS2s on mine. They originally were Continental something-or-others. I don't think they ever described them as run-flats.

But the point holds—it's dumb to plan for a spare in a car with no space, huge wheels of unequal sizes, and lots of power. It won't do you any good.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

mobby_6kl posted:

That trunk looked more useless than the NA Miata one, which isn't very good for a larger car.

The last segment was a bit too :britain::fh: for my taste. Not that I have any serious issues with the UK (at least since decolonization), but just the general nationalistic pandering of it. Imagine if the same thing was done unironically with, say, American cars. Three guys in convertible Camaros driving in front of the capitol with American flags sticking out while talking about how many cars Honda builds in the US and how American-made differentials are used in German cars or something. I dunno, just seemed almost laughable to me.

Other than that though I thought this was a very good episode. Enjoyed James' bus adventures and even the SIARPC, it was nice to see the Liana again.

Yeah, you're right that Britain is much more distastefully nationalist than America.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Didn't they have an episode not too long ago where they put British cars up on podiums somewhere and had British planes flying around and poo poo? Just a bit too soon for an encore already.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Philip J Fry posted:

Didn't they have an episode not too long ago where they put British cars up on podiums somewhere and had British planes flying around and poo poo? Just a bit too soon for an encore already.

I just think that complaining about Top Gear making a big deal out of the UK is like complaining about them making fun of the French or Jeremy Clarkson being a power-obsessed manchild in the challenges.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Spare tires are only good for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

I think stolen from another thread here.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

mobby_6kl posted:

Wow, imagine that, a British car programme, celebrating British cars...

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Cakefool posted:

It was a good rebuttal of the idea that nothing was made in the UK though, even if "made" was stretched to breaking point.

When people say that, though, they don't literally mean that Britain makes nothing anymore. They're just making a point that compared to the past Britain manufactures far less than it used to.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Considering how big their audience is in Britain, I think it was just their attempt at bringing a glimmer of hope to people that have been suffering from the global economic catastrophe that has affected pretty much everyone. There's nothing wrong with a tiny bit of car-related nationalism. Look at how the U.S. has been (trying to) do the same with Chrysler, Jeep, and Chevrolet commercials.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just saw the episode with the Singer Porsche, James gave it props. Such an awesome car, good to see it get some recognition on Top Gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Yeah but that would look loving epic and they should totally do that.

If we include heavy mining equipment (and they did so we can too) this alone probably outweighs everything in the segment combined.

What a great video. He's right about fun being more important than speed; I've got all-terrains, and in the rain they're garbage, so I can drift the Blazer all I like. And that's with a 3.08 open diff and a 20-year-old V6 with almost 300k that made 160 horsepower new. It's an absolute blast, which I never thought I'd say about a truck.

Kind of makes me want a Typhoon. :v: