Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Geokinesis posted:

Use it as a teaching point in the LP, as often you might end up having prepared for something and it turns out to amount to nothing.
This is worse than that, it would seriously be two extremely chaotic updates that would end up teaching nothing except "and sometimes, gently caress You". I'm gonna backtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Honestly, "and sometimes, gently caress You" really is a lesson anyone playing CK2 should learn. But it's up to you!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I wish there was a "rub his nose in it" button I could press to tell whoever I owned in a war that he sucks and should kill himself.
Twice the Caliph has declared war on me, twice I pulverized his armies. Before accepting his defeat I continue to hunt down his last armies for prestige, piety and military techpoints. I then siege up a juicy duchy to drain it of manpower since you can have your levies raised indefinitely when you are defending. On the very same day that the war ends I declare my own holy war against him for the target I just sieged during his war, makes for a super-quick victory. The Caliph then suffered a decadence invasion which he lost so fast I barely had time to notice.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

This is worse than that, it would seriously be two extremely chaotic updates that would end up teaching nothing except "and sometimes, gently caress You". I'm gonna backtrack.

It's already really obvious you have no clue how to play the game on a level that offers wisdom to new players, so it probably wouldn't matter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I just had an idea for an excellent CK2->EU4 game. Start in 1204, play as the Latin Empire and try to make it into a great power in EU4.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rurik posted:

I just had an idea for an excellent CK2->EU4 game. Start in 1204, play as the Latin Empire and try to make it into a great power in EU4.

Ooh, that's a good one.

I've got tons of half cooked games that I start and play for 100 years, form the empire or whatever my initial goal was, get bored and then move on to the next one. I'm just gonna take a few of my favourites through observer mode and see how it turns out. Starting relatively late sounds like a good way to avoid that problem if you don't want to just take the save from any old start date.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

CapnAndy posted:

I would try to preserve and keep going. The game really isn't that fun at all when it is "gamed" and since your are playing until the 1400s whatever setback you have now will be inconsequential and forgotten by then. In my game as a republic one of my uncles (I suspect) is stabbing his way into my mansion and has currently killed off three of my sons - frustrating for sure, but when I finally do kill him my satisfaction will be a lot greater than if I just reloaded and forgot all about it.

Anyways, ultimately ck2 is a videogame and you should do what is fun for you - just remember that failing is part of the game, and having a bad run of things typically won't give you a game over.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

TjyvTompa posted:

I wish there was a "rub his nose in it" button I could press to tell whoever I owned in a war that he sucks and should kill himself.
Isn't this basically the point of the Byzantine blinding mechanic?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Do alliances work the same way for prepared invasions? I'm playing as Fairhair and have +100 rep with each of Lothaire's allies (who really don't like him) and he's still able to call them to war after a while despite the fact that they like me better.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I promised my dying mother that I would avenge her family's honor and punish the usurper calling himself King of the Scots. It seems he wasn't well liked by his vassals either and when they raised the flag of rebellion I pressed my claim on the crown.

The armies of Scandinavia descended on Scotland and quickly defeated the King's troops as well as those of his other vassals. After a series of sieges on his few personal holdings the usurper surrendered and gave the crown to me. The remaining rebellions were quickly dealt with as their leaders learned that the Emperor had come to their lands.

Honoring the final promise I made to my mother, I had my younger brother swear fealty to me and I named him the new King. Long live Ragnar Kytling, King of the Scots and Prince of Scandinavia!

He promptly lost the title when the vassals rebelled again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

The fourth rebellion from Brittany alone...
This came a couple of months after 16k rebel soldiers turned up in Mauretania and a month before rebels in Frisia pulled 11k soldiers out of their rear end.

It's not even 1066 yet and these rebellions are already annoying me like a swarm of gnats.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do I even plan an invasion? I've never seen the button not grayed out and it's always because both me and the target don't have between 4 and 20 holdings or what ever the number is.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kingturnip posted:

The fourth rebellion from Brittany alone...
This came a couple of months after 16k rebel soldiers turned up in Mauretania and a month before rebels in Frisia pulled 11k soldiers out of their rear end.

It's not even 1066 yet and these rebellions are already annoying me like a swarm of gnats.

In my first game as Ostlandet -> Norway -> Scandinavia, I had 11 rebellions from Gelre. I didn't even want any land on the continent aside from Denmark, it was a vassal that decided to invade the Netherlands.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can anyone give me a short brief of what I should be aware of in CK2+?

I just started my first game with it and I appreciate the new options but some changes I can't see until its too late. For example I married one if my council members who had the get married ambition and I was counting on the 'helped fulfill ambition' relation bonus but that modifier appears to be removed.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
When I was playing as West Francia, I invaded Viking Bretangaland but the petty king was a coward that converted to escape my wrath. A month later, the Irish, Welsh and Bretons he subjugated overthrew him in three separate rebellions. I switched tags to play as King Paol, the Liberator of Brittany, and haven't looked back since. And yeah, Paol was King of Brittany, not a Duke, since he reconquered the entire de jure territory of Brittany.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So I recently played a game as the Viking in Britanny, I conquered Britanny quite quickly and different parts of England, then while trying to convert the catholics I noticed that my 21 learning seer only had 1.5 % chance each year of conversion is this becuase the Norse faith isn't reformed?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lord Tywin posted:

So I recently played a game as the Viking in Britanny, I conquered Britanny quite quickly and different parts of England, then while trying to convert the catholics I noticed that my 21 learning seer only had 1.5 % chance each year of conversion is this becuase the Norse faith isn't reformed?

Partially. I believe the moral authority of the two religions has an effect as well. In my Norse game when I was approaching 100% authority and the Catholics were in real trouble conversion was very fast even before reforming and with a mediocre seer.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 6, 2013

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

marktheando posted:

Partially. I believe the moral authority of the two religions has an effect as well. In my Norse game when I was approaching 100% authority and the Catholics were in real trouble conversion was very fast even before reforming and with a mediocre seer.

So what you are saying is that if I as Norse go ahead and capture Catholic holy sites they are pretty much hosed?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Unreformed norse will never get above a 2% conversion rate for counties with an organised religion present. It's one of the major reasons to try and reform as fast as possible.

You can still convert other pagan counties just fine, though.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 6, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

So what you are saying is that if I as Norse go ahead and capture Catholic holy sites they are pretty much hosed?

I wouldn't go that far, but it's always a good move to deprive rival religions of their holy sites.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah once you start taking other religions' holy sites they collapse into heresy and convert pretty fast. I took all of Islam's sites as Byzantium except for the one that castille ate and within 50 years Islam was extinct, with the middle east being a Hodgepodge of reformed Tengri, Orthodoxy, and Catholicism. The speed of the collapse when they hit 0 MA was really impressive.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Unreformed norse will never get above a 2% conversion rate for counties with an organised religion present. It's one of the major reasons to try and reform as fast as possible.

You can still convert other pagan counties just fine, though.

Ah right I must have misremembered, thinking of converting other pagans pre-reformation, rather than catholics. Still either way, taking those holy sites is always good.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

Yeah once you start taking other religions' holy sites they collapse into heresy and convert pretty fast. I took all of Islam's sites as Byzantium except for the one that castille ate and within 50 years Islam was extinct, with the middle east being a Hodgepodge of reformed Tengri, Orthodoxy, and Catholicism. The speed of the collapse when they hit 0 MA was really impressive.

That is awesome. I really need to do this. My Norse empire has been stagnating against a Europe that is just super France in the west, super HRE in the middle and mega Prussia in the east. Any Norse Holy War gets joined by those 3 and their 300k+ troops even if all I am doing is trying to gobble up what's left of Ireland.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Isn't this basically the point of the Byzantine blinding mechanic?

To blind/castrate them you have to have them in prison first. But I found another way, play as the holder of Andalusia in the 867 start, you know...the Umayyd dynasty :troll:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do those AI empires get so drat big and STAY so drat big anyways? Do they get bonuses for being dejure empires? I find that if I have more vassals than I have personal holdings they eventually all rebel and everything falls apart, but France seems fine holding like half the bloody map.

Also I'm currently playing the most serene republic of Denmark. I started off as Jylland and eventually took the whole kingdom of Denmark. Where things get confusing for me is that before I conquered the kingdom of denmark they raised their crown authority from none to low. Now that I AM the kingdom of denmark as a republic I have access to their crown authority tab thing, but it's locked at low because a republic can't change their crown authority. Are my vassals even being effected by this crown authority or is it just a hold over from when the kingdom was feudal and not a republic? As a republic is there anything I can do to increase my power or authority over my vassals?

Also I have a lot of angry vassals due to "wrong government type" and I don't understand. Do fuedal castle-holding vassals not like being in a republic? How do I fix it? I've found if I conquer a feudal county and build a city the city becomes the capital and then when I give that county to a son everything is a-ok.

I also have almost everyone having a -20 relationship with me for "not on council". What council?? Why is everyone on a secret council except me?!? What does it even mean?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Man, I'm a little bit sad. Looks like the only way for a hot, rich, and sensitive Islamic Caliphate like me to have a chance with the Queen of the Byzantine Empire is for me to attack, imprison, and then force marriage her. I just wish we had an old time e-harmony way for her to realize I like like her.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah from what I can tell, the religion's moral authority is a big factor. As Lithuania by the time I was ready to reform the Romuva faith I was converting things like crazy anyway because the moral authority was so high from all the wars I was winning.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Baronjutter posted:

Also I have a lot of angry vassals due to "wrong government type" and I don't understand. Do fuedal castle-holding vassals not like being in a republic? How do I fix it? I've found if I conquer a feudal county and build a city the city becomes the capital and then when I give that county to a son everything is a-ok.
Correct. Nobles, Priests, and Mayors all prefer to be ruled by their own leadertype.

You can flip what type of holding is a province's capital by taking the county title and granting it to one of the local baronies. If a character owns multiple holdings of different types in a province, they'll always make their natural type the capital.

This is most easily done when you first conquer a province off some foreign realm, and get all the holdings dumped in your lap.

quote:

I also have almost everyone having a -20 relationship with me for "not on council". What council?? Why is everyone on a secret council except me?!? What does it even mean?

The council is question is your advisers, in the council tab. The people with that opinion penalty are mad that they don't have a spot at the big meeting table, and will drop the penalty if you appoint them to one of those offices.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Ooh, that's a good one.

I've got tons of half cooked games that I start and play for 100 years, form the empire or whatever my initial goal was, get bored and then move on to the next one. I'm just gonna take a few of my favourites through observer mode and see how it turns out. Starting relatively late sounds like a good way to avoid that problem if you don't want to just take the save from any old start date.

Yea, I started a game from the 1337 start date as the Italian duke of Athens under the Kingdom of Aragon. I've finished it now, as Queen or Trinacria and Greece and it looks like a game ripe for conversion. A Mega-Islamic empire starting to crumble under revolt and Timurid invasion, a collapsed france that has been absorbed by the HRE, an Islamic Russia, and the Catholic Anglo-Nahua Aztec empire, with its british terrtories under the rule of the locals and the Spanish ones under the direct control of Nahua Catholics.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Correct. Nobles, Priests, and Mayors all prefer to be ruled by their own leadertype.
Priests don't mind being ruled by nobles. I don't recall if the same is true the other way around, though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

Man, I'm a little bit sad. Looks like the only way for a hot, rich, and sensitive Islamic Caliphate like me to have a chance with the Queen of the Byzantine Empire is for me to attack, imprison, and then force marriage her. I just wish we had an old time e-harmony way for her to realize I like like her.

That's about what I did in my last Viking game. Carried off the third in line to the Byzantine throne, married her then started stabbing. I let her heir be tutored by a gregarious Greek women so now there is my dynasty has a Greek orthodox branch. I'm basically the super Varangian guard helping in restoring Rome. Then I'll burn it down again.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Strudel Man posted:

Priests don't mind being ruled by nobles. I don't recall if the same is true the other way around, though.

Yeah, I've never tried turning all my vassals into Bishops (with Free Investiture), but I've heard it's kinda exploity/too good.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I've never tried turning all my vassals into Bishops (with Free Investiture), but I've heard it's kinda exploity/too good.
It is, yes. I avoid it for the same reason.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

genericnick posted:

That's about what I did in my last Viking game. Carried off the third in line to the Byzantine throne, married her then started stabbing. I let her heir be tutored by a gregarious Greek women so now there is my dynasty has a Greek orthodox branch. I'm basically the super Varangian guard helping in restoring Rome. Then I'll burn it down again.

Yeah, I may do that but its really hard to get anyone to marry me. Its like baby, I'll make you my first wife I promise, but the gurl don't be hearing it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

[quote="Rapdawg" post=""41816272"]
Its like baby, I'll make you my first wife I promise, but the gurl don't be hearing it.
[/quote]

It's prolly cause they see you raidin, and they hatin, raisin levies tryin catch you rowin' dirty.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Will the EU4 converter be available after the game comes out, or is it only for people who pre-order?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Can you name a single pre-order bonus in the history of man that wasn't made available for monies later?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

scamtank posted:

Can you name a single pre-order bonus in the history of man that wasn't made available for monies later?

ME2 black hole gun

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sam. posted:

Will the EU4 converter be available after the game comes out, or is it only for people who pre-order?

Everything in all the preorder bonuses will be available on launch day at various prices. I think the converter is :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Omnicarus posted:

ME2 black hole gun
World's Funnest Gun, except for the nuke gun.

• Locked thread