Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

FreshFeesh posted:

Any update on the ability for the screen to orient when the phone is held 180* from portrait?

pokeyman posted:

Totally forgot about it. I'll figure it out for the next version.

I'd love a way to lock the app to portrait (not 180*) as well, if possible. I don't like my forums rotating but everything else I leave rotation lock off for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sorry misread the thread title.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 29, 2013

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Can anyone recommend a good painting app for the iPad? Preferably one with some adobe style manipulation tools?

Try the iPad thread or the iOS Apps thread.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

101 posted:

I'd love a way to lock the app to portrait (not 180*) as well, if possible. I don't like my forums rotating but everything else I leave rotation lock off for

I'll add this to my list for next version. Won't guarantee anything, as there were major changes in how orientation changes work between iOS 5 and iOS 6, so I'll probably run into some unforeseen trickery. But I'll have a go!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

This is a good app, but I'd like to know what hardstyle worked on so I can be sure not to use those parts.

(Thank you)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

https://github.com/AwfulDevs/Awful/commits?author=hardstylle

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I can't get threads to not be orange and yellow based on the colors I've assigned. I keep toggling the display of colors on the web and it works fine, and the app shows all blue when it loads. But then I refresh the bookmarks and it gets colorized again.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

dexter6 posted:

I can't get threads to not be orange and yellow based on the colors I've assigned. I keep toggling the display of colors on the web and it works fine, and the app shows all blue when it loads. But then I refresh the bookmarks and it gets colorized again.

I had this problem too. I just gave up and kept them on.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

dexter6 posted:

That sounds fixable! I'll take a look.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Don't know if you know about this but the dark theme seems to mess up some messages.

(Props that your app made it hella easy to show you this though.)

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Is cache clearing easy to implement?

I'm guessing there must be a reason why so few iOS apps have a cache clearing button, forcing users to reinstall when apps like twitter take up ten times the size of the actual app...

Awful isn't quite as bad, but it's climbing my data use list slowly.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

Don't know if you know about this but the dark theme seems to mess up some messages.

I'll take a look, thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Is cache clearing easy to implement?

I'm guessing there must be a reason why so few iOS apps have a cache clearing button, forcing users to reinstall when apps like twitter take up ten times the size of the actual app...

Awful isn't quite as bad, but it's climbing my data use list slowly.

Awful's "clear cache" button is logging out, if that helps.

I can't speak for other apps, but Awful stores its caches in the system-provided caches directory. iOS can and will delete things from this directory as needed to reclaim space. In theory, you don't need to worry about it.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Oh. I'll check it out :)

I wish there was a system-wide manual disk space clearout button, though :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Oh. I'll check it out :)

I wish there was a system-wide manual disk space clearout button, though :(
You'd have to plug your phone into your computer, but you could use PhoneClean. It always works well for me. I run it every so often and it'll always get rid of at least a few hundred megs of cached stuff.

But yeah, I wish there was a way to do this in the phone itself. Maybe there is and I just don't know it.

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

I'm on an iPad 1, IOS 5, latest version of the app. I seem to get crash to desktops on pic or video heavy threads. For example the D&D pictures thread will crash me when I tap my bookmark or pull up to load the next page probably 8 out of 10 times. It happens on other threads too but that one is really consistent. Any ideas besides rob a bank and buy a newer iPad? If there's anything I can do to give you more info just let me know.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

BooDaa posted:

I'm on an iPad 1, IOS 5, latest version of the app. I seem to get crash to desktops on pic or video heavy threads. For example the D&D pictures thread will crash me when I tap my bookmark or pull up to load the next page probably 8 out of 10 times. It happens on other threads too but that one is really consistent. Any ideas besides rob a bank and buy a newer iPad? If there's anything I can do to give you more info just let me know.

Sounds like you're running out of memory. All I can suggest is that you turn off images before entering image-heavy threads.

I'll be a good little programmer and spread the blame: it's on me and on the web view we use to show posts. Me because I haven't done anything to work around the problem. And the web view because it chews up memory for images that aren't even visible. I've toyed in the past with forcing images in and out of memory as you scroll, but it never quite worked right.

Basically you've got a poo poo sandwich on your hands, and I hope you come across a newer iPad some day!

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You'd have to plug your phone into your computer, but you could use PhoneClean. It always works well for me. I run it every so often and it'll always get rid of at least a few hundred megs of cached stuff.

But yeah, I wish there was a way to do this in the phone itself. Maybe there is and I just don't know it.

There isn't on the device, it annoys me as I'm always running low on my iPad. It's irritating because every app has a 'caches' folder, which is for storing data you don't rely on still being there the next time you open the app. If you get REALLY low on space (i.e. zero) when installing an app, iOS will go around cleaning up some of these caches folders until there's enough space, but there's no way to trigger this manually.

That app's tempting based on your recommendation, but I'm put off by their wishy-washy language and calling itself "magic".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I can vouch for PhoneClean, I cleared up not quite a gig and it was quick and painless.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Any way you can automatically make the app redirect waffleimages to 46.59.2.17?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

Any way you can automatically make the app redirect waffleimages to 46.59.2.17?

I can look into it. Are there other mirrors still online at any other IP addresses?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
So if you're using a mirror like that, which requires the HTTP host field to be img.waffleimages, using an NSURLCache is an easy way to get in the middle of the request. I can help if you need it.

http://www.cocoawithlove.com/2010/09/substituting-local-data-for-remote.html

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

So if you're using a mirror like that, which requires the HTTP host field to be img.waffleimages, using an NSURLCache is an easy way to get in the middle of the request. I can help if you need it.

http://www.cocoawithlove.com/2010/09/substituting-local-data-for-remote.html

Nice! No idea when I'll actually implement this but thanks for the info and offer.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If anyone running iOS 5 has any lingering issues that I haven't acknowledged in the last two pages of this thread, please repeat them now!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Which SA option are you toggling?

Awful looks at the color of the stars on the bookmarked threads page. If you set 'Show bookmark category "star buttons" next to threads' to 'no', no orange/yellow.

There's also an option "Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned". Awful does not know of or care about this option.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Which SA option are you toggling?

Awful looks at the color of the stars on the bookmarked threads page. If you set 'Show bookmark category "star buttons" next to threads' to 'no', no orange/yellow.

There's also an option "Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned". Awful does not know of or care about this option.
I've set both of those to no, and tried all the permutations of them and the colors always come back in the app (though the web seems to update fine).

Edit: the new build email you just sent me out is what made me come back to this thread and I see here you've posted specifically for me. :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I've set both of those to no, and tried all the permutations of them and the colors always come back in the app (though the web seems to update fine).

Turns out I'm a liar, neither setting affects Awful. For now you'll have to turn the stars on, set every bookmark to orange, then turn the stars back off if you like. Only when everything's orange will it show without colors in Awful.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Development on Awful 2 has begun!

If you are interested in following the development, I made a thread over in project.log. iOS 7 is still under NDA, so you must be a registered iOS developer to read the thread.

This thread is still about Awful 1, the version in the App Store. Any problems with Awful 1 go here! I'm still reading it, and I'm still fixing issues.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I'd suggest calling it Awful Too.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

If anyone running iOS 5 has any lingering issues that I haven't acknowledged in the last two pages of this thread, please repeat them now!

Still get force closes. I can drop a log if you tell me how!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

In the interest of saving on data costs, does disabling thread tags/images/avatars in-app disable the downloading of them as well? Right now I have them disabled on the proper site, though I would prefer not to.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

In the interest of saving on data costs, does disabling thread tags/images/avatars in-app disable the downloading of them as well? Right now I have them disabled on the proper site, though I would prefer not to.

Thread tags are local to the app.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

duckfarts posted:

Electric Boogaloo

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Take it to the other thread! (The warning about "being an iOS developer" shouldn't actually stop anyone.)

Skywalker OG posted:

PM is fine, or email pokeyman@nolanw.ca (keep in mind there might not be anything I can do!)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Turning off images means they will not be downloaded until you tap the link they turn into.
Turning off avatars means they will not be downloaded.
Turning off thread tags means new tags will not be downloaded. The only downloading of thread tags is of new ones when they get made, so there is little to nothing downloaded in the name of thread tags. We're talking a couple kilobytes per day, and only if you encounter a thread with a missing tag.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 10, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Turning off images means they will not be downloaded until you tap the link they turn into.
Turning off avatars means they will not be downloaded.
Turning off thread tags means new tags will not be downloaded. The only downloading of thread tags is of new ones when they get made, so there is little to nothing downloaded in the name of thread tags. We're talking a couple kilobytes per day, and only if you encounter a bread with a missing tag.
Great, thank you

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Skywalker OG posted:

I haven't received any logs from you. My todo list is empty for the next version, so I can take a look at the issue if you like, or it can wait for later!

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Doing the "Filter posts by user" on myself for threads in YOSPOS only gives me one page of results when there should be more. Works fine in grey threads though.

EDIT: not working on this thread.

EDIT2: ok, doesn't seem to work for any of them except for the GBS Bitcoin thread. And no entries for Awful in system console either.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 13, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

Doing the "Filter posts by user" on myself for threads in YOSPOS only gives me one page of results when there should be more. Works fine in grey threads though.

EDIT: not working on this thread.

EDIT2: ok, doesn't seem to work for any of them except for the GBS Bitcoin thread. And no entries for Awful in system console either.

Does it work when you filter by other people? I see it fails if I filter by me, but works for anyone else. I'll have a look!

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Does it work when you filter by other people? I see it fails if I filter by me, but works for anyone else. I'll have a look!

Seemed like it worked for anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'm not sure if this has come up, but can you ignore users in the app?

• Locked thread