Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Capcom should be releasing Game Boy Mega Mean 3, 4, and 5 really soon. Maybe wait for those because Mega Mean 4 and 5 game boy may be the best in the classic series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ookiimarukochan posted:

I went through 4 or 5 Nintendo Zone hot spots (lots of chain coffee shops / pubs!) a few hours ago and not one street pass! I hope that it's just that I was just the first person in my area to be out and about with updated firmware, and not that this is going to be some sort of weird complex cluster-gently caress of a thing to do (but with Nintendo, going by past performance who knows?)

Same here, I walked past two, one of which was immediately next to an exit of a train so it should have heavy foot traffic. My iPhone connected to the AT&T Wifi so I'm assuming my 3DS did too, no street pass. Well maybe I'm the first to hit those relay stations...

Also, took me until E5 Paranormal Chaos in Luigi's Mansion to finally feel challenged in the game. What a fun level though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Also, took me until E5 Paranormal Chaos in Luigi's Mansion to finally feel challenged in the game. What a fun level though.

The story mode isn't particularly difficult (Finding all the gems without a guide is tricky though) but the online multiplayer is actually pretty genuinely challenging.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Sarchasm posted:

This also describes a few MM3 bosses, though, doesn't it?

There's no boss in MM3 that requires you to dispense your entire stock of a weapon on them to win.

None of the 8 main bosses do (Unless you get hosed with the Top Spin glitch on Shadowman)
None of the Doc Robots do either.
Breakman is a joke.

Out of the fortress bosses:

The Turtle thing takes like 5-6 Shadow Blades
Yellow Devil 2 takes like 4 Hard Knuckles
Megaclones take a few Search Snakes
Wily 1 takes Hard Knuckles as well, like 3 or something. Then when it switches forms its Rush Jet and pummel the gently caress out of the cockpit with buster shots.
Gamma takes Search Snakes and Top Spin for its second half, which again unless you get completely hosed over by the glitch you'll be okay.

So... nothing in the sense of "You need all your Crash Bombs or you can't beat this guy since that's all he's weak to" or "Sorry, can't beat Alien Wily without Bubble Lead".

The game is fun before then, but it really just gives you the finger at the end. I don't get why people call it the best Megaman Classic game, since MM3 didn't have any sort of bullshit like that. Though maybe its just more recently that I've grown more sour of MM2 since the popularity of that led to MM9 being the Nostalgia-fueled waste of space that it was. It would've been more fun with the slide but in all honesty it wasn't that fun anyway.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, Steamworld Dig was announced to be coming out this week, and it looks pretty neat! Been a while since a good non-puzzle game came out on the Eshop!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The one boss in MM2 that requires all of your stock of a particular weapon is one of those interesting puzzles that is in totally the wrong game. It's a cool thing, but the mechanics of Mega Man games don't complement it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Which Mega Man 2 boss are we talking about? Is it the final boss (who if I remember correctly was only weak to one weapon)?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
They're specifically talking about Buebeam Trap, but yeah, the final boss is also one of the ones that absolutely requires a certain weapon and gently caress you if you're short or die and run out in another attempt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I used to really hate the boobeam trap and the boss of MM2 because of that, but the game is at least pretty forgiving. Worst case is you figure it out, don't have enough, die, continue, get all your ammo back, and then beat that level.

It does kinda suck because you're pretty much expected to fail the first time and have to continue to learn, but a lot of megaman was like that if you didn't have the internet. Boss order was all about trial and error.

So I don't rage about them like I used to, but it definitely sucks. There should really be another way to beat the boobeam, its especially bad because if you miss you're fubar. You need to enter with full ammo AND hit every shot. Either letting you do it, although slower, with another weapon, or spawning minions occasionally that drop ammo would make it a much better boss fight.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

(Unless you get hosed with the Top Spin glitch on Shadowman)

Unless we're not thinking of the same thing, it's not actually a glitch, just a weird quirk in how Top Spin weapon ammo works. Top Spin weapon energy goes down by 1 for each hit, rather than each use. Unfortunately, this also counts for hits against enemies that are either impervious to it, or currently have invincibility frames up, in which case you'll lose weapon energy for each frame you're still 'hitting' that enemy.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

(Unless you get hosed with the Top Spin glitch on Shadowman)

I guess I just remember getting hosed by that Top Spin glitch on the final boss. More specifically the final form of the last boss, who isn't vulnerable to anything else.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Artix posted:

They're specifically talking about Buebeam Trap, but yeah, the final boss is also one of the ones that absolutely requires a certain weapon and gently caress you if you're short or die and run out in another attempt.

Why would you ever be short on Bubble Lead? When the hell would you even bother equipping that weapon prior to that room.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

Why would you ever be short on Bubble Lead? When the hell would you even bother equipping that weapon prior to that room.

The only weapon you should ever be short on before entering a boss room is Metal Blade because gently caress yeah Metal Blade.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
XSEED announced they're bringing Senran Kagura Burst to NA as an eShop-only release. Please don't buy it.

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, Steamworld Dig was announced to be coming out this week, and it looks pretty neat! Been a while since a good non-puzzle game came out on the Eshop!

From the sounds of things this game is gonna be the "...and it's available, RIGHT NOW!" game featured in today's Nintendo Direct.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SilverSupernova posted:

If you were using it to look for fake floors, or if you didn't know the previous boss' weakness and just went down the list trying everything.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

njsykora posted:

If you have 150 coins and don't buy Mario Golf I'll be very disappointed in you. Also Nintendo had better get that poo poo to Europe soon.

Wait what? Mario golf is awesome. Why would you give such bad advice?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zip posted:

Wait what? Mario golf is awesome. Why would you give such bad advice?
I don't think you read their post correctly.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From the sounds of things this game is gonna be the "...and it's available, RIGHT NOW!" game featured in today's Nintendo Direct.
I've got my fingers crossed for Flipnote 3D. These (3D) cocks aren't going to animate themselves!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think you read their post correctly.

No he didn't. I was going to say I'd punch people in the face if they didn't get Mario Golf but that would've been unduly mean.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NISA just posted that the digital version of Etrian Odyssey 4 will be out on September 5, which is about a week after the release of the retail version. They've also confirmed a demo for next week (August 15) - two dungeons, with save data that you can transfer to the full game.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

If you were using it to look for fake floors, or if you didn't know the previous boss' weakness and just went down the list trying everything.

I think he's saying that in the sense that you can technically never run out of Bubble Lead since you get two for every bar of energy and the uses reset when you switch to another weapon, Kind of like how you get four uses of Metal blade per tick, but if you use three and switch weapons to something else, then switch back, the uses reset.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Unless we're not thinking of the same thing, it's not actually a glitch, just a weird quirk in how Top Spin weapon ammo works. Top Spin weapon energy goes down by 1 for each hit, rather than each use. Unfortunately, this also counts for hits against enemies that are either impervious to it, or currently have invincibility frames up, in which case you'll lose weapon energy for each frame you're still 'hitting' that enemy.

I guess I think of it as a glitch since they changed the behavior in Wily Wars to use only 1 energy ever for a hit instead of wiping all of your energy in a really badly timed hit.

Sarchasm posted:

I guess I just remember getting hosed by that Top Spin glitch on the final boss. More specifically the final form of the last boss, who isn't vulnerable to anything else.

I thought Search Snakes worked too?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

NA dudes, here are your new Club Nintendo digital rewards:

Mario Golf (3DS VC [GBC]) - 150 Coins
Brain Age Express: Sudoku (DSiWare) - 150 Coins
Wario's Woods (Wii VC [NES]) - 150 Coins
NES Play Action Football (Wii VC [NES]) - 150 Coins

https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do

I've got so many (DS) US imports here that I could make an American Club Nintendo account and buy several games, why won't they let me make a US account on my EU 3DS? Dicks.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So I just got an email from Nintendo today saying that Donkey Kong will be available on the 3DS eShop on the 15th next week.

Naturally since its full price there's absolutely no reason to purchase it. They should've just put out a re-release of Original Version since that's a better release.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So I just got an email from Nintendo today saying that Donkey Kong will be available on the 3DS eShop on the 15th next week.

Naturally since its full price there's absolutely no reason to purchase it. They should've just put out a re-release of Original Version since that's a better release.

The arcade version was in DK64, but they've never put that on the VC for some unknown reason.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The arcade version was in DK64, but they've never put that on the VC for some unknown reason.

I was actually referring to the so called "Donkey Kong: Original Version" that they released last year for people who got a Digital copy of Sticker Star, Layton, Style Savvy or some Crosswords game. Its got the Pie Factory/Cement Factory level in it but its apparently more like the NES version and not the Arcade version (Though what differences are there really?)

Though I guess they'd rather just have that as some little special token instead of making it a regular release.

But yeah, the Arcade Version should've came out already. No excuse.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I was actually referring to the so called "Donkey Kong: Original Version" that they released last year for people who got a Digital copy of Sticker Star, Layton, Style Savvy or some Crosswords game. Its got the Pie Factory/Cement Factory level in it but its apparently more like the NES version and not the Arcade version (Though what differences are there really?)

Though I guess they'd rather just have that as some little special token instead of making it a regular release.

But yeah, the Arcade Version should've came out already. No excuse.

This is what it says on the Mario Wiki:

"Two different ports of Donkey Kong have appeared on Virtual Console. The first, released in 2006, is essentially a direct port of the NES version, while the second, entitled Donkey Kong Original Edition, attempted to adhere to the arcade version, and was pre-installed for the European release of the Mario 25th Anniversary limited edition red Wii in 2010. This version restored some missing animations and the level 50m, which was cut from the NES version, although Donkey Kong mistakenly stands still in this level, and while the port's graphics are an improvement to the NES port, it is still inferior to the true arcade version, which remains unavailable on Virtual Console. The latter port was made available on the Nintendo eShop in the US between October 1, 2012 and January 6, 2013, exclusively to members of Club Nintendo who have, within the aforementioned time frame, linked their systems to their Club Nintendo accounts and have purchased the downloadable version of one of five select 3DS titles (one of which was Paper Mario: Sticker Star). There are currently no plans for a wide release of this version in the U.S."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
That's so weird of Nintendo. I'm sure people would buy it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Buy DK94.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah, pretty much this.

Though an Arcade perfect port of DK would be welcome too.

But again, NES DK has no reason to be available seeing as DK94 has the same levels, just without the color or the funky Pre-Super Mario Bros Jump physics.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Spacebump posted:

That's so weird of Nintendo. I'm sure people would buy it.
I think it's weirder they had a subsection of the Virtual Console back on the Wii named "Virtual Console Arcade" and didn't put any of their arcade ports/originals on it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People have speculated that Nintendo never re-releases their original arcade games due to potential legal issues with the external contractors that actually programmed them, but who knows if any of that is true.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

People have speculated that Nintendo never re-releases their original arcade games due to potential legal issues with the external contractors that actually programmed them, but who knows if any of that is true.

Would make sense seeing as they always re-release the inferior NES versions of the games with no hesitation. But again nobody knows if its really true or not.
Speaking of, were there any NES versions of their Arcade games that weren't worse than the arcade original? I think Mario Bros. controlled the same but I don't know if it had any actual changes made to it like DK did.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know if you could call NES Punch-Out!! a port but it's definitely a lot better than the arcade game (aside from the visuals, obviously).

The home/arcade versions of Balloon Fight were developed simultaneously, and while I haven't played the arcade version I've heard the home version (programmed by Iwata!) is much smoother.

EDIT: now that you mention it, there's a story in one of the Iwata Asks about the making of SMB where the programmer mentions he worked on the arcade version of Balloon Fight, and how a discussion with Iwata about the home version indirectly informed the underwater stages in SMB.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Just announced at the Nintendo Direct today: Summer Carnival '92 Recca is coming to the US eShop. It's probably one of the most technically amazing games for the Famicom in that it manages to pull off swarms of enemies and bullets with almost no slowdown and some exceptionally trippy background effects.

There's only 4 stages, but you can unlock Hard mode with a code which has 7 stages. The last stage has a boss rush and I think it's best I link a video of it to show off just how insane the game gets (warning, lots of seizure inducing flashes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDW4SDvuxw0

Zeether fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 7, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That doesn't look like a carnival at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the eShop-specific stuff from the NA Direct, I'll do PAL-land tomorrow:

-Art Academy Sketchpad (Wii U), lets you draw pictures using the Art Academy toolset and post them to Miiverse,out August 9; full version with lessons coming "later"
-Pokemon Rumble U (Wii U), out August 29; 18 NFC figurines will be made available on the same day, exclusively via Gamestop, but are not required to unlock anything
-Donkey Kong (3DS VC) out August 15
-Wario Land 3 (3DS VC) out August 29
-Super Carnival '92 Recca (3DS VC), your new favourite FC game, out "soon"
-Tecmo Bowl (3DS VC) out "this fall"
-Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U / 3DS VC) out "later this year"
-Animal Crossing Plaza (Wii U); AC-themed Warawara Plaza service that lets you easily share screenshots/QR codes from the 3DS game and communicate with other AC players/fans. Limited-time free service, will conclude at the end of 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Here's the eShop-specific stuff from the NA Direct, I'll do PAL-land tomorrow:

-Art Academy Sketchpad (Wii U), lets you draw pictures using the Art Academy toolset and post them to Miiverse,out August 9; full version with lessons coming "later"
-Pokemon Rumble U (Wii U), out August 29; 18 NFC figurines will be made available on the same day, exclusively via Gamestop, but are not required to unlock anything
-Donkey Kong (3DS VC) out August 15
-Wario Land 3 (3DS VC) out August 29
-Super Carnival '92 Recca (3DS VC), your new favourite FC game, out "soon"
-Tecmo Bowl (3DS VC) out "this fall"
-Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U / 3DS VC) out "later this year"
-Animal Crossing Plaza (Wii U); AC-themed Warawara Plaza service that lets you easily share screenshots/QR codes from the 3DS game and communicate with other AC players/fans. Limited-time free service, will conclude at the end of 2014

Cool, Wario Land 3 is finally coming soon and getting SMB 3 on Club Nintendo is going to pay off finally. :)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just looked at the 3DS eShop and SMB2 is up as well (£4.49) as Steamworld Dig (£8).

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just posting to say Steam World Dig is an absolute must buy, It's very addictive and I know I'm going to pour time into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the PAL-specific eShop stuff from last night's Direct:

-SteamWorld Dig (3DS) out now!
-Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS VC) out now!
-Korg M01D (3DS) coming "this autumn"
-Sizzle reel of upcoming EU/AU-developed Wii U eShop games (click)
-Pokemon Rumble U (Wii U) coming August 15; apparently they're not doing the NFC thing at all in Europe? Why even bother?

There was also a new 3DS eShop game from Nintendo shown in the JP Direct that looked... interesting. It's some sort of baseball minigame collection where all the minigames need to be purchased individually with real money, but the gimmick is that by performing well at each minigame you unlock items that let you haggle with the vendor for a discount? The visuals/characters were really quirky in that WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven way. I'll have to go back and watch it again.