Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The USAF released an article stating that 3 of the 4 crew members in today's Pavehawk crash are accounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

I posted this in the Navy thread but I thought you guys would appreciate it as well. The air wing of the future as envisioned by my son:

To this day I think retiring the F-14 was a colossal mistake. During recess, nobody wanted to play with the F-15, F-16, F-18 -- gently caress that, the coolest toy plane at school was the F-14, it had moving wings. By all elementary school standards, it was the most modern and evolved airplane.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hadlock posted:

To this day I think retiring the F-14 was a colossal mistake. During recess, nobody wanted to play with the F-15, F-16, F-18 -- gently caress that, the coolest toy plane at school was the F-14, it had moving wings. By all elementary school standards, it was the most modern and evolved airplane.

It was also in top gun so there's that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

holocaust bloopers posted:

You can fix this by purchasing him some Revell model airplane kits.

Bad idea, unless he's going to build it. Children don't have the patience or fine motor skills to put a model together.

This pretty describes every model airplane I ever tried to assemble:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It really is. As an aside I would advise anyone having issues with an honor guard at a loved one's funeral to contact their local VFW. My dad's post does a few funeral honor guards a month.

The local VFW did honor guard for my grandfather's funeral. They did an excellent job, and I made a point to go and thank each one of them after the graveside service.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I always liked the f-16 :smith:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Great DC-10 firebombing footage.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Can't we all just like all the airplanes. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335GdTqtyLs

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

OptimusMatrix posted:

Have a video of the "Jetman" formation flying with a B-17. he starts flying about a minute in. I'd give anything to be this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUUYuvheS3M

Hey thats my camera.

Bit of a funny deal, the FAA seemed to be doing everything possible to scuttle his flight at the airshow. Going as far as saying that he needed to get his multi rating, he asked them who was going to give him the check ride.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Watching the jetman stuff was kinda anticlimatic. At least in person, that is. He never does anything under 2500'. and watching something roughly man sized half a mile away doesn't let you see to much.

The chase plane videos are much, much more exciting.

I'm amused the FAA wanted him to get his multi rating. :-) They're a weird governing body...

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for that jetman vid it's really cool. The dude is from where I live, Switzerland, and he's well known around here, he's done some amazing flying around the alps and stuff.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Linedance posted:

I always liked the f-16 :smith:

:smith::respek::smith: Me too. I had this great plan in fifth grade where I'd go to the Academy, fly Vipers, make major by the time I was 36, then train for astronaut. Then I discovered girls and D&D and the fact I was undisciplined and bad at math, and now I just write about airplanes and astronauts :unsmith:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:smith::respek::smith: Me too. I had this great plan in fifth grade where I'd go to the Academy, fly Vipers, make major by the time I was 36, then train for astronaut. Then I discovered girls and D&D and the fact I was undisciplined and bad at math, and now I just write about airplanes and astronauts :unsmith:

Same except it was Eagles.

The I started having to wear glasses among other things :smith:

At least I got to work on them :unsmith:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Does anyone else ever notice when things like 4th of July, USO, or other "support our troops" decorations have airplanes, about half the time they're not even American? It always jumps out at me when there's a Flanker or something up there next to an American flag. The local Walmart had a July 4th thing up that had Block-60 F-16s (UAE is the only country using those).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A cousin of mine had someone paint her two little boys' room in some sort of military design. The guy painted a bunch of Russian attack helicopters on the wall. It makes me laugh like an idiot every time I see it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

The USAF released an article stating that 3 of the 4 crew members in today's Pavehawk crash are accounted for.

Human remains discovered at the site. poo poo. :(

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

(clicky)

:mmmhmm:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Does anyone else ever notice when things like 4th of July, USO, or other "support our troops" decorations have airplanes, about half the time they're not even American? It always jumps out at me when there's a Flanker or something up there next to an American flag. The local Walmart had a July 4th thing up that had Block-60 F-16s (UAE is the only country using those).

The DNC caught flak for featuring Russian ships and some other nation's F-5s with an American flag.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

The DNC caught flak for featuring Russian ships and some other nation's F-5s with an American flag.

Turkish F-5s, their demo team IIRC.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I hardly had any G.I. Joe but you'd better believe I begged and begged until I got that F-14. Holy god I loved and protected that thing, but I always wished they had done a cool F-4 as well because the Phantom was my favorite thing in the world when I was young.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I loved my Skystriker. Then when I kind of lost interest in GI Joe and got addicted to Robotech, I took off all the GI Joe stickers and painted it in the blue/white/red livery that Max Sterling used in the cartoon. Then I got my Max Sterling action figure which fit perfectly in there and I was the happiest kid in rural central Ohio.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I used to have a bunch of those Ertl planes, I wish they still made those.

I still have my F-18 and F-4 though, which is cool.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Colonial Air Force posted:

I used to have a bunch of those Ertl planes, I wish they still made those.

I still have my F-18 and F-4 though, which is cool.

Good lord, finally. The Force One planes. These things WERE my childhood.

I got snobby early on and wasn't interested in toy planes that didn't have retractable landing gear.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Boomerjinks posted:

Good lord, finally. The Force One planes. These things WERE my childhood.

I got snobby early on and wasn't interested in toy planes that didn't have retractable landing gear.

As you should have been :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah! I have that white F-18. I used to have USMC Harrier and a Huey, too, but I can't find them.

The only thing is, after a while, those landing gear stop sticking closed, so they just hang loosely all the time.

Also I don't have a single missile or bomb or fuel tank :(

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I was so anal about crappy fixed landing gear on my airplane toys that I would snip them off if they were plastic, or try to bend them off if they were metal. I loving hated any toy that didn't have retractable landing gear :spergin:.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mike-o posted:

I was so anal about crappy fixed landing gear on my airplane toys that I would snip them off if they were plastic, or try to bend them off if they were metal. I loving hated any toy that didn't have retractable landing gear :spergin:.

I thought I was the only one :stare:

Toy planes with lovely fixed gear bugged the hell out of me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

You know I think I might still have the military air base thing that went with those planes at my mom's house.

I should have her send it to me, my kids would love it.

E: I had the joystick thing too, but I'm pretty sure that's long gone.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

sigtrap posted:

I hardly had any G.I. Joe but you'd better believe I begged and begged until I got that F-14. Holy god I loved and protected that thing, but I always wished they had done a cool F-4 as well because the Phantom was my favorite thing in the world when I was young.

I like to think my mom rescued mine from our basement before we moved when I was a teenager and she still has it to this day in her house waiting for me. :unsmith:

Also, Top Gun was not the movie that got me to lust the F-14, it was The Final Countdown.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

sigtrap posted:

For me is was the Cobra Night Raven. It had missiles galone, mechanical retracting landing gear and a hidden pair of laser cannons. Oh, and a D-29ish fighter pod.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nebakenezzer posted:

For me is was the Cobra Night Raven. It had missiles galone, mechanical retracting landing gear and a hidden pair of laser cannons. Oh, and a D-29ish fighter pod.

Yes. I gave up all my toy gifts for a whole year to get this for Christmas. It was totally worth it. I found it in a tub with some He-Man figures a few years back. It still has ALL ITS MISSILES AND ROCKETS. I also have major subassemblies for some white half-track that's got all its missiles, too, but not its wheels.

edit: my mom informs me that the hovercraft and the a-10 are also in that box. I don't remember that. I do remember the hovercraft's missiles getting everywhere, though, and my dad yelling at me for it.

double edit: yojoe.com. Man '84-'85 were the best years for toys, like, ever.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Mike-o posted:

I did this often with my Matchbox toys. I remember having a MiG-29A that had retractable landing gear as well as plastic R73s that could be attached to the wing hardpoints. I *think* it was Italeri.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yes. I gave up all my toy gifts for a whole year to get this for Christmas. It was totally worth it. I found it in a tub with some He-Man figures a few years back. It still has ALL ITS MISSILES AND ROCKETS. I also have major subassemblies for some white half-track that's got all its missiles, too, but not its wheels.

edit: my mom informs me that the hovercraft and the a-10 are also in that box. I don't remember that. I do remember the hovercraft's missiles getting everywhere, though, and my dad yelling at me for it.

I had a what google tells me is a Condor Z-25 at one time. God that thing was like the best toy ever.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

Cobra Hurricane here :colbert:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

White half track means it's probably one of the snow vehicles. If GI Joe, it's probably the Snow Cat. If it's a Cobra one, it's likely the WOLF. I have most of my original stuff, figures complete and bagged. A lot of my vehicles have broken parts though, unfortunately, and I haven't taken the time to run down parts,...

(gently caress, I know too much about GI Joe toys).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

aunt jemima posted:

Cobra Hurricane here :colbert:

I've still got one of those, complete. Although a dog chewed on one or two of the missiles.

Also, that's not how VTOL works,...

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

MikeyTsi posted:

Also, that's not how VTOL works,...

:dogout:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I can't for the life of me find the line of metal toy planes of which I had the Soviet MiG-29A/Blue Angels Hornet/Desert Storm RAF Tornado GR1. These were super sturdy and pretty accurate, with retractable landing gear and all, but were battery powered with lights and sound too.

Of course that poo poo broke within minutes in the sand pit but they were nigh indestructible otherwise and an early-/mid-90s boy's dream really. Anyone know which line this might have been? 1:72 I think and sold in Holland/Germany so maybe Europe only.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I credit my Dragonfly with my love of attack helicopters, aviator sunglasses, and cavalry hats. I also had whatever that GI Joe X-29 was and this weird thing: Skystorm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
What was it about toy planes with retractable landing gear? Fixed gear? Not interested. :colbert:

Even now, working on the real things, I could watch departures bringing up the gear for hours.