Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
They're also used to reinforce masonry walls from bowing out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_plate

Obviously not the sheet-metal versions that are in every booth at antique malls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I've seen this kind of thing before, and it baffles me. It's like people don't understand that the alive part of the tree is the crust

:crossarms:

Is this just an advanced botanical term that I'm not aware of, or do you mean the "bark"?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

They're called barnstars and are supposed to be placed on your barn as decoration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnstar

There are shitloads of them near where my grandmother lives in rural Ohio, because they're very popular with the Amish. According to her, non-Amish people in the area put them on their houses (as opposed to their barns, which may also have a star on them) to signify that they have a family member deployed overseas. Maybe that folk use o them is getting picked up and that's why they're suddenly appearing everywhere? Originally they were just a decorative farm thing though.

I like how the wikipedia page mentions barnstar "enthusiasts" :allears:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Calling bark "tree crust" from now on!!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

priznat posted:

Calling bark "tree crust" from now on!!

I usually peel off the crust as it is too dry and flaky.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, and that some water authorities even allow it. But most don't, as you are billed for sewer based on water usage. So if they didn't sell you the water they don't want it in their soil line.

AC contractors on average seem to know little to nothing about building codes. Maybe a bit of electrical codes. Certainly nothing about static pressures, and even less about where to place condensate drains.

I lived with a mechanically-disinclined friend for a short period early last year, on a yardwork/handyman for board type of basis. We discovered one day that his AC condensate line runs six inches UPHILL inside the foundation, and relies entirely on the head pressure of condensate in the ~4 foot vertical drop from the evaporator to drain outside. I've never seen anything quite so stupid. :v:

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
So a little more demo.

We found a window that was behind the panelling that no one knew was there.

Its nailed shut but now will give me access under part the the addition thats built over top of the cistern room. Also noticed that there was no insulation under the addition.

The door frame will need to be replaced due to water damage. At one time this part of the basement use to be a garage...

God I hope I have some overtime on the next check....

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

:crossarms:

Is this just an advanced botanical term that I'm not aware of, or do you mean the "bark"?

Hah, I was wondering if someone would call me out on that.

The outer parts of the bark are not alive, although the inner parts may be on younger stems. However, there are layers just below that that are the always-alive parts, including the cork cambrium and vascular cambrium, which sandwich the phelloderm and the secondary cambrium. The xylem and the phloem are the parts that transport sap up and down (respectively) the tree, and they are generated by the vascular cambrium, and then...

Yeah, so basically its the crust.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Hah, I was wondering if someone would call me out on that.

The outer parts of the bark are not alive, although the inner parts may be on younger stems. However, there are layers just below that that are the always-alive parts, including the cork cambrium and vascular cambrium, which sandwich the phelloderm and the secondary cambrium. The xylem and the phloem are the parts that transport sap up and down (respectively) the tree, and they are generated by the vascular cambrium, and then...

Yeah, so basically its the crust.

Xylem UP!!! Phloooooemmmm dooowwnnnnnn.

We had to abruptly stand up and put our arms up during the xylem part and then slowly fade back into our seats for the phloem part. Gotta admit, it stuck with me.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Leperflesh posted:

Oh absolutely. I only meant to say that we should not have overly rose-tinted glasses when talking about the good-old-days of home construction. Especially structures from 100+ years and more ago. The safety of modern structures on average far outclasses those of the 19th century, owing in major part to huge advances in materials technology, far better building codes and inspection regimes, and widespread standardization of building techniques.

There were houses built by highly-skilled craftsmen from high-quality materials to a labor-intensive standard that would be prohibitively expensive today, which will last for centuries and are amazing. But there were also a lot of shoddy deathtraps, houses built in freshly-drained swampland, and occasional city-spanning firestorms that burned hundreds down at a time due to entirely foreseeable and preventable (even at the time) conditions.
Speaking as someone whose seeing probably what is tantamount to the oldest electrical wiring one could find in a house even buildings that are still around are huge death traps.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 29, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Speaking as someone whose seeing probably what is tantamount to the oldest electrical wiring one could find in a house even buildings that are still around are huge death traps.

There are houses that have fallen/burnt down, and there are houses that have not yet fallen/burnt down. In the long term that's it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DNova posted:

Xylem UP!!! Phloooooemmmm dooowwnnnnnn.

We had to abruptly stand up and put our arms up during the xylem part and then slowly fade back into our seats for the phloem part. Gotta admit, it stuck with me.

Sort of. Xylem transports water (mostly), phloem transports sugar and other nutrients. Xylem does UP!!! because of transpiration pull, but phloem transport goes both ways.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My grandfather seems to have had built his house with the intention of the sump pump being an active part of the building. During especially heavy rains, water just flows in through the bottom of the walls, across the basement floor, and straight into the sump. No puddles are left, and it dries out very quickly. It's been there for 60 years with no issues.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

My grandfather seems to have had built his house with the intention of the sump pump being an active part of the building. During especially heavy rains, water just flows in through the bottom of the walls, across the basement floor, and straight into the sump. No puddles are left, and it dries out very quickly. It's been there for 60 years with no issues.

That's one modern method used today for leaky basements, except that you dig/cut perimeter gutters that flow to the sump so that the no longer lowest-point floor stays dry.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

kid sinister posted:

That's one modern method used today for leaky basements, except that you dig/cut perimeter gutters that flow to the sump so that the no longer lowest-point floor stays dry.

I think that is how were going to address the water issue in the basement.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Haha I just got an RFI from someone purportedly named Dan McGoon, which of you pranksters is that?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Cakefool posted:

There are houses that have fallen/burnt down, and there are houses that are in the process of falling down.

FTFY

I live in a house at uni built in a place where people never understood that not all stone is created equal - specifically, the local sandstone always wants to turn back into sand. EVERY house made of it gets gritty instead of dusty, and many have removable skirting boards to allow you to clean up the piles of sand inside the walls. Credit where it's due, it was put up in 1906 and hasn't collapsed yet.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This house is just so... strange! I was cleaning out an overgrown flowerbed when I noticed that there was an extra valve on the outdoor spigot.

I wonder where.. oh.. oh no nobody would be that dumb...

Yup, that's the cold water supply for the washer.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!
Have to ask...where does the hot water supply come from?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ntd posted:

The aluminum eave-troughs. Sun gets it nice and hot!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ntd posted:

loving Narnia wouldn't shock me at this point.

I presume it is coming from the bathroom which is to the right in the second photo, but that raises the question of why not just pull the hot and cold water from there? Perhaps it is being routed via the attic. I have yet to get a ladder to go up there.

Cmdr. Chompernuts
Jun 6, 2004

Blistex posted:

The aluminum eave-troughs. Sun gets it nice and hot!

No way, that line just goes deeper underground to get that energy saving thermal heat.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

ntd posted:

You're really optimistic. It could be like my house where it was just tee-d off of the cold line!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cmdr. Chompernuts posted:

No way, that line just goes deeper underground to get that energy saving thermal heat.

This is Texas. A foot or two black pipe of in the sun ought to do it.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

This is Texas. A foot or two black pipe of in the sun ought to do it.

Arizona here. I just put the whole machine in my truck with the windows up. Five minutes usually does the trick.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
While we're on the subject of appliance installation CLUSTERFUCKS...

...welcome back to my apartment! (Totally meant to post this earlier in the thread. And I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.)

I'm not totally sure that you could replace this sweet machine without ripping out the sink. Bonus: the Stab-Lok panel I posted earlier is on the wall that interferes with the door.

OH! HEY! I found my main breaker btw... It's right under the meter. On the side of the building. And mine doesn't even have a zip-tie on the cover. Whoopee!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I have what I think is that exact same dishwasher, and that would be the biggest pain in the rear end.
How do people get these jobs?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
While not technically a construction tale, but still crappy workmanship...

My gf had Comcast voice installed, which includes a free "professional" install. I had her tell the tech to not move the modem (since I just put shelves up and made it all nice and neat with the wires). He put the new modem in it's place and connected it to the house's phone line like this:

Thanks rear end in a top hat, real professional.

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 6, 2013

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Dragyn posted:

My gf had Comcast voice installed, which includes a free "professional" install. I had her tell the tech to not move the modem (since I just put shelves up and made it all nice and neat with the wires). He put the new modem in it's place and connected it to the house's phone line like this:

Yeah, I'd be on the phone with tech support having another tech sent out to repair that, or a hefty discount on the bill. Electrical tape should never be used in a phone install.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Normally I'd point out that technically Comcast's responsibility ends at the demarc/ground block/on-premise-box on the exterior wall. I'm a former Comcast contractor and I know these things.

But that right there is absolutely horrendous and should absolutely be screamed at customer service. Phone pairs run like 40 volts when they ring, right?

e: wait a sec, I thought that was CDV but I see that blue wire being tied in now, so I hope it's just internet. What kind of throughput are you getting? :haw:

double e: gently caress, you already said, "voice"

That is SOOOO bad. I hope somebody gets fired.

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 7, 2013

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I have what I think is that exact same dishwasher, and that would be the biggest pain in the rear end.
How do people get these jobs?

They have them in 1979. (and actually I'm not entirely sure this thing isn't a retrofit.)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dragyn posted:

Doesn't comcast contract all that stuff out to local "professionals"? That's like sub-handyman grade work.

forestboy
Aug 30, 2005
Honestly, I see local builders do worse with the phone wiring in their brand new mcmansion lake houses. It'd probably work just fine for years. The biggest problem is the aesthetics, which are unforgivably bad. And it would have taken maybe a minute or two longer to do it properly. Definitely call them up and make them fix that phone wiring.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Farmdizzle posted:

Phone pairs run like 40 volts when they ring, right?

Minimum ring to meet standard in the US is 75 VAC.

Slanderer posted:

Doesn't comcast contract all that stuff out to local "professionals"? That's like sub-handyman grade work.

That's exactly how this happens. Most times you are getting a contractor. The lowest bidding contractor that meets their meager qualifications.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

their meager qualifications.

Here's the list:

1) "Is willing to make an attempt."
2)

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

That's exactly how this happens. Most times you are getting a contractor. The lowest bidding contractor that meets their meager qualifications.

There was an office I was in that was in a strip mall with a giant grease interceptor. Whoever did the remodel for a bunch of units decided it would be cheaper/better to install studor vents up in the drop ceiling instead of doing roof vents. After a while, a bunch of the tenants became well acquainted with the current state of grease interceptor.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bad Munki posted:

Here's the list:

2)

My folk's home with splitters upon splitters upon more splitters followed by one more splitter for the modem that's for both the Internet and phones will attest to that list. Just a clusterfuck of cabling and splitters on the outside and inside of their house that Comcast could have resolved both aesthetically and practically with just two more minutes of work and thought. Then my parents wonder why the cable is always pixelating and the modem is always dropping; it's all that loving signal loss from the splitters.

Gonna redo their house soon with one 6 or 8 port splitter (with two termination caps) and a drop amplifier, and possibly even move the cables to inside the crawlspace and walls to get rid of the cable outside of the house once and for all. Should be a fun thing to do :shepface:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

My folk's home with splitters upon splitters upon more splitters followed by one more splitter for the modem that's for both the Internet and phones will attest to that list. Just a clusterfuck of cabling and splitters on the outside and inside of their house that Comcast could have resolved both aesthetically and practically with just two more minutes of work and thought. Then my parents wonder why the cable is always pixelating and the modem is always dropping; it's all that loving signal loss from the splitters.

Gonna redo their house soon with one 6 or 8 port splitter (with two termination caps) and a drop amplifier, and possibly even move the cables to inside the crawlspace and walls to get rid of the cable outside of the house once and for all. Should be a fun thing to do :shepface:

I live in a lovely apartment converted from the top floor of a pretty old house. When they installed cable, instead of routing any wires through the walls (which honestly probably have degraded knob and tube wiring in them), they just ran cable along the wall. However, they decided, "hey, they might want a tv in one of a dozen places!" and so installed splitters every 6 feet or so. There were like 7 splitters between where the coax came into my apartment and my modem. I had to take out most of them in order to get up to a decent signal level on my modem.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Here's the list:

1) "Is willing to make an attempt." Has a pulse
2)

Fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Here's the list:

2)

As a former Comcast contractor:

Yup. And you may be being generous, here.

e: And your local telco may be even worse. If it's even possible.