Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

thegalagakid posted:

He's attempting to make some not-really connected point, which I do not agree with, that if you pay a higher minimum wage, manufactures will just raise the prices to take more of that fortune the higher minimum wage earners get. Essentially, in this guy's view, the price you and I pay for a loaf of bread is determined not by supply and demand economics, but the bottom floor of the pay scale, and that inflates the price of whatever because there is now more disposable income at the bottom. It's horseshit, the kind of thing an rear end in a top hat with no idea how economic cycles operates would say. Ask this doofus how prices are set in the open market. As to the velocity question, if cost-push inflation were actually a thing, then raising the minimum wage would immediately lead to a corresponding inflation of prices of exactly that amount, so the velocity of money would essentialy remain unchanged since the margins of expenditures for households would remain static. Of course, to actually believe this, you have to ignore little incidents, like the New Deal.

EDIT:This keyboard, she is not the best...

YEah, I looked it up and that isn't exactly what cost-push inflation means.

Regardless, if that's what he THINKS it means, you just break down the cost structure of the thing you're looking at, and look at how small a portion wages are. Unless the entire economy and everything in it is produced under slave wages, increasing the pay of low-paid workers isn't going to increase prices that much, so they come out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

YEah, I looked it up and that isn't exactly what cost-push inflation means.

Regardless, if that's what he THINKS it means, you just break down the cost structure of the thing you're looking at, and look at how small a portion wages are. Unless the entire economy and everything in it is produced under slave wages, increasing the pay of low-paid workers isn't going to increase prices that much, so they come out ahead.

Could he have been referring to the price/wage spiral?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

thegalagakid posted:

Could he have been referring to the price/wage spiral?

Probably, but for purposes of this situation it's bullshit anyway.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It's really interesting that prices have been going up faster than the minimum wage. How does that happen in his crazy understanding of economics?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ohgodwhat posted:

It's really interesting that prices have been going up faster than the minimum wage. How does that happen in his crazy understanding of economics?

Minimum wage is fixed by law, and not indexed to inflation in most places. De facto minimum wage will not exceed this until the real market value of those workers labor reaches that artificial floor.

If you want to make this argument, don't use minimum wage, use median or average wages.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

They're probably just trying to pay their parole or bs child support claims anyways. Lord knows those people would rather be on welfare like they always is. *not racist*

I'll always be amazed how people can be against social programs while also pointing out how lower class people depend on them. What do they expect will happen if they're cut? "Oh man, my cushy life of scrapping by on food stamps and minimum wage is over. Guess I better find a real job and actually work for a little bit"

I think it was a Congressman who said "Hunger can be a positive motivator." So yes, people literally think that starving the poor will get them to bootstrap themselves into a life of crime better job.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

CoolZidane posted:

I think it was a Congressman who said "Hunger can be a positive motivator." So yes, people literally think that starving the poor will get them to bootstrap themselves into a life of crime better job.

Did you know some lazy poors have started committing crimes just to be sent to prison so they can get free meals and shelter, rather than find a job?

This is why we need tougher prisons!

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Sir Rolo posted:

Did you know some lazy poors have started committing crimes just to be sent to prison so they can get free meals and shelter, rather than find a job?

This is why we need tougher prisons!

I've heard people unironically make this argument.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

CoolZidane posted:

Hunger is a positive motivator for childrens' brain development.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

CoolZidane posted:

"Starving the poor is a fast way to get yourself killed." - France

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just read something in the Wired's comment section that was going off about how history isn't taught, we need to remove the progressive history in class, and that it's all Bill Ayers' fault.

I don't even know..

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Phone posted:

I just read something in the Wired's comment section that was going off about how history isn't taught, we need to remove the progressive history in class, and that it's all Bill Ayers' fault.

I don't even know..

These people are cognitive children and live in a world of bogeymen and the amazing heroes who fight against them. Bill Ayers, George Soros, ACORN, and so on... These aren't people to that sort of right winger. They're supervillains, is how they're cognitively understood and apprehended.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In west Honolulu, "born" and raised, on the choom gang is where I spent most of my days, drugging out, crack, smack, relaxing all cool, then I went to Indonesia, to a Muslim school, when a couple of guys who were up to no good, started planning out all my president-hood, I went to Harvard law, hid my transcripts there, and then I moved to Chicago to meet my mentor Bill Ayers.

He used to bomb stuff and as he got near, my destiny of destroying the country was clear, if anything I could tell that this guy's a terrorist, but I said "man, my book's blank, please take and ghost write this"

I pulled up to the white house seven or eight years later, and I said to Bill Ayers, yo homes, I'm a traitor! I looked at my country I was finally there, to poo poo on the throne, I'm the prince of Bill Ayers

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Pope Guilty posted:

These people are cognitive children and live in a world of bogeymen and the amazing heroes who fight against them.

This pretty much categorizes about 80% of all comments underneath newstories on the web.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Someone sent me this link, its of course bullshit, but its saying it exonerates Dr. Wakefield:

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/08/courts-quietly-confirm-mmr-vaccine-causes-autism.html?m=1

I, of course, but no faith in that site for obvious reasons, still pissed me off

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

CommieGIR posted:

Someone sent me this link, its of course bullshit, but its saying it exonerates Dr. Wakefield:

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/08/courts-quietly-confirm-mmr-vaccine-causes-autism.html?m=1

I, of course, but no faith in that site for obvious reasons, still pissed me off

Dr. Wakefield of Austin, TX? He's from England, how could they not even get that basic fact correct?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Sadly for Dr. Wakefield and affiliated anti-vaxxers, a court ruling in favour of crazy doesn't exhonerate fraudulent science. Did it ever occur to anyone the diagnosis for many disorders and diseases have become more accurate, and that the rise in MMR vaccine use is only superficially correlated with autism and related disorders?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Andrew Wakefield is one of the worst people still waking the planet. He's done tremendous damage and his ridiculous, irresponsible bullshit has directly caused the death of children. If he were beaten to death in broad daylight by a group of enraged virologists, I'd vote to acquit.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Gonna go ahead and say that anything that exonerates Wakefield and his fraud would be in the New England Journal of Medicine or the Lancet and not whydontyoutrythis.com

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

musclecoder posted:

Dr. Wakefield of Austin, TX? He's from England, how could they not even get that basic fact correct?

According to wikipedia he's moved to near Austin, TX. And that's sourced to a The Star article.

e: It's also where he filed a 2nd libel suit against Brian Deer.

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 6, 2013

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

In west Honolulu, "born" and raised, on the choom gang is where I spent most of my days, drugging out, crack, smack, relaxing all cool, then I went to Indonesia, to a Muslim school, when a couple of guys who were up to no good, started planning out all my president-hood, I went to Harvard law, hid my transcripts there, and then I moved to Chicago to meet my mentor Bill Ayers.

He used to bomb stuff and as he got near, my destiny of destroying the country was clear, if anything I could tell that this guy's a terrorist, but I said "man, my book's blank, please take and ghost write this"

I pulled up to the white house seven or eight years later, and I said to Bill Ayers, yo homes, I'm a traitor! I looked at my country I was finally there, to poo poo on the throne, I'm the prince of Bill Ayers
Is anyone going to acknowledge this?

I will. :drat:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Why are people taking loans to go to college? These people need to realize that higher education isn't for everyone.

I loving hate that attitude/argument with a burning passion.

My uncle (who is a rich, born-again christian and a staunch republican) told my mother (who is quite poor and on disability) my freshman year of college (and it was at a community college so I could transfer to a four year university to save money) that I should just drop out during my second week of college and just get a full time job instead to support her and myself.

When my mom told him that it was important to myself and especially her that I stay in school, he said "That's bananas! College isn't for everyone!"

I finally graduated after five years, three years ago with a double major and pretty solid grades to boot. I currently have a full-time career in Washington D.C. and will have my student loans paid off in the next year. I'm starting to look at houses, which is a huge deal to me. I look back at what my life was like eight years ago and I'm so loving ecstatic that I've come this far and I wouldn't have been able to do it without federal/state assistance among other things.

Had I listened to my uncle, I would likely be living back home in the same poor city (http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-16/national/37768635_1_food-stamps-woonsocket-mother-s-day) with minimal job prospects and a pretty dismal life. My only out would have likely been the military (which I have nothing against, I nearly commissioned as an officer) but that's definitely not for everyone.

College may not be for everyone, but everyone should have the loving opportunity to at least try and see if it's for them. /rant

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

CoolZidane posted:

It really bothers me how common this and similar terrible arguments are. Not blocking out the names because gently caress these people.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

dur posted:

It really bothers me how common this and similar terrible arguments are. Not blocking out the names because gently caress these people.

Is Michael being sarcastic? He has to be.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
How long until people start suggesting we murder the poor and feed them to the middle class?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
It won't make a difference, but you could use this:

Mark 12:41-44

New International Version (NIV)
The Widow’s Offering

41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Minimum wage is fixed by law, and not indexed to inflation in most places. De facto minimum wage will not exceed this until the real market value of those workers labor reaches that artificial floor.

If you want to make this argument, don't use minimum wage, use median or average wages.

I don't think you got my point. If, as the guy in a crazy forwarded political email stated, the minimum wage sets the price level, how could inflation outpace the growth of the minimum wage?

EDIT: I actually had a more sophisticated point, but I don't even remember it, so I don't fault you for misinterpreting me.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 6, 2013

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ho Chi Mint posted:

It won't make a difference, but you could use this:

Mark 12:41-44

New International Version (NIV)
The Widow’s Offering

41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

I'd worry they'd take it as proof that poor must give everything. I've noticed that most Christians in the US tend to gloss over or ignore the whole anti-wealth positioning of the new testament.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Mitchicon posted:

Nope, he's not. He really is that terrible.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
And lo, Jesus said "Look at this lazy-rear end ghetto bitch. I bet she has like six kids by four different men. Where'd you get the money to buy a shawl with shiny stones sewn on it when you can't even pay the rent? Just because I can create limitless amount of fish and bread isn't any reason for you to be asking for handouts. Why should I be using my blood to pay for your slothful sins?"

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Mitchicon posted:

The poor have no incentives to stop being poor! Why move up when you can live in a lovely, low-income apartment, rely on food stamps at low-quality supermarkets, and work one or two minimum wage jobs just to make sure you don't end up homeless? Sounds like a pretty sweet gig to me! Poors just don't know how good they have it.

The problem here is that people who aren't poor don't know what it's like being poor, and many think that being poor is a choice that can easily be avoided by pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. They see all of these opportunities, but don't understand that being poor is a self-perpetuating cycle that makes it incredibly difficult to move up along the socio-economic ladder. Instead of seeing someone struggling to maintain their two minimum wage jobs, who needs the income to take care of themselves or their families, they see someone who is purposefully milking the system because "they're not actively trying to fix their situation, so they must be comfortable!"

These people haven't seen the poo poo I've seen. And I mean literal poo poo. I live in the projects of the lower east side, and most certainly not by choice. Homeless/drunk people come in to my building and poo poo in the stairwells, elevators, and lobby. Not to mention vomit and piss. No one can stop it because housing doesn't have the resources to come and fix the front door. Porters only work on weekday mornings, so if someone shits in the stairs on a Friday night? You're gonna have a lovely weekend. That's just cosmetic though. There's drug addicts who OD on the rooftop, monthly shootings in the lobby, muggings on the street, crazy people who go from floor to floor rattling the doorknobs hoping to find an unlocked apartment door. This is the type of poo poo poor people deal with on a day to day basis. It's a lovely state of living that I would never wish on my worst enemy, let alone millions of people across the country.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Sir Rolo posted:

And lo, Jesus said "Look at this lazy-rear end ghetto bitch. I bet she has like six kids by four different men. Where'd you get the money to buy a shawl with shiny stones sewn on it when you can't even pay the rent? Just because I can create limitless amount of fish and bread isn't any reason for you to be asking for handouts. Why should I be using my blood to pay for your slothful sins?"

Do I have a topic for you!

Yeah, people are obsessed with status symbols. It has had a sickening effect on the impoverished as they waste resources on status symbols to try to appear above their actual level. The levels above them proceed to poo poo on them for it, possibly out of pride over seeing the poors that should be shot in the street trying to show off their meager cars or TVs or jewelry. However, while it's terrible to waste resources on such things, the opposite end isn't any better in its view that the poor should have absolutely no status symbols, entertainment, or chances for personal growth and should be herd animals that work until they fall over dead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jesus also said to give whatever is asked of you. If someone asks you to walk a mile with them, walk two. If they ask for your shirt, give them your coat as well. There was no concept of "being taken advantage of" or "system abuse" because Christ constantly professed that temporal wealth is fleeting and one should store up for themselves treasures in heaven.

If the modern Christian church actually followed the teachings of Christ they would be the most powerful force for charity and progressiveness in the world today. It is fun to watch people bend over backwards to reinterpret the words of Christ in a way that doesn't make them essentially Pharisees.

When I was a cool Christian teen, I found a verse in Proverbs that said it's okay to drink if you're sad or down on your luck.

quote:

Proverbs 31: 6-7
Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in anguish!
Let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

Which puzzled me, because we were taught to be teetotalers and that any intoxication was evil. I went to my youth group pastor to ask him, and he gave me this convoluted rationale about how Jewish king Solomon, who lived in the eight century BCE, actually meant to get drunk on the "wine" that is faith in Jesus.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Trying to use religion to goad people into not being shits is counterproductive; it's like the aphorism about arguing with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level then win with experience. You'll have to stick to tactics rooted in reality, like statistics showing how little vertical movement there really is for the lower classes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

zoux posted:

If they ask for your shirt, give them your coat as well.

I thought that was actually a subversive teaching.

quote:

Rather than trying to get an inner garment back by legal recourse, one should relinquish the outer one too! If taken literally, this practice would quickly lead to nudity (see also Stein 1978:10), an intolerable dishonor in Palestinian Jewish society (for example, Jub. 7:8-10, 20; 1QS 7.12). Many peasants (at least in poorer areas like Egypt) had only one outer cloak and pursued whatever legal recourse necessary to get it back if it was seized (CPJ 1:239-40, 129.5). Because the outer cloak doubled as a poor man's bedding, biblical law permitted no one to take it, even as a pledge overnight (Ex 22:26-27; Deut 24:12-13). Thus Jesus demands that we surrender the very possession the law explicitly protects from legal seizure (Guelich 1982:222). To force his hearers to think, then, Jesus provides a shockingly graphic, almost humorous illustration of what he means by nonresistance. His hearers value honor and things more than they value the kingdom.

In a modern context, that might be something giving the bank all your clothes when they forclose on your home. Except that unlike the people living in Palestine, the banks probably aren't going to give a poo poo about intolerable dishonor.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
You got the exact book/verse in the Bible about giving unconditionally?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
A lot of people have been using the following verse to justify not giving things to people who won't work.

2nd Thessalonians 3:10 posted:

10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

I broke out my bible to read it in context, it's from the 2nd letter of Paul to the Thessalonians, which is only about two pages long. The preceding verse explicitly says that St. Paul and company had the right to ask for food without working.

2nd Thessalonians 3:6-15 posted:

6 In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and disruptive and does not live according to the teaching[a] you received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

11 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat. 13 And as for you, brothers and sisters, never tire of doing what is good.

14 Take special note of anyone who does not obey our instruction in this letter. Do not associate with them, in order that they may feel ashamed. 15 Yet do not regard them as an enemy, but warn them as you would a fellow believer.

It makes me think that the people who throw that out there haven't actually read the Bible.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Coffee And Pie posted:

How long until people start suggesting we murder the poor and feed them to the middle class?

I think the Dead Kennedys already had a similar idea

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ho Chi Mint posted:

A lot of people have been using the following verse to justify not giving things to people who won't work.
Maybe they're just quoting Lenin (via Stalin) instead.

quote:

In the USSR work is a duty and a matter of honor for every able-bodied citizen, in accordance with the principle: "He who does not work, neither shall he eat."

e: vvvvvv
I was being mostly tongue-in-cheek.
People I know who espouse the "no work, no food" ideal would hate being cast as agreeing with anything said by Lenin or Marx.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Even then, within context, they're neglecting the other Marxist principal, 'From each according to his ability, to each according to their need'.

Ho Chi Mint posted:

It makes me think that the people who throw that out there haven't actually read the Bible.

I really love that quote in context. Kind of states, 'poo poo sucks; we should help the poor and disenfranchised, but for your own sake in the meantime pull up your bootstraps (as much as possible)'. They explicitly state they do this as a model of behaviour to imitate, not that the unemployed shouldn't be entitled to food.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 6, 2013