Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Inside Outside posted:

For my save I've been building up a huge Russian Empire. After the hordes are defeated I'm going to start splitting off independent Suomenusko kingdoms all over the place with my dynasty ruling. Right now the Caliph and I are scrambling to mop up the Byzantines. It'll probably end with a Sunni Anatolia and a Suomenusko Greece.

I'm doing something similar, but with the Baltic coast and Germany. Praise Ukko!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Or keep Cumans/Mordvins/Pecheneg going into EUIV. Either get them to own some land far away from the Mongols (I'm sure Germany, Spain, or maybe England could shed some land for the cause!) or find some way to get one dynasty to rule enough of that region so that they will be allied when the Mongols come.

I've been running hands off observer games (I don't have either the Republic or the Old Gods DLC as I didn't think I'd ever be playing CK2 again, but I digress) and in one of those runs somehow the Cumans are Catholic. The Khan has sixteen vassals in prison :cawg:. He's also pretty close to forming the Tartaria Empire. Georgia is thriving (it almost always gets wiped out, both in CK2 and EUIII) and allied with them. I think that is going to be my first converted game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Paradox' new thing revealed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SCDhF2d3AE
It's obviously a standalone version of TOG.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

canepazzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SCDhF2d3AE

Paradox Interactive ‏
We're proud to announce War of the Vikings! Watch the trailer: http://ow.ly/nFJYd Follow them on @WaroftheVikings!

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2013/8/paradox-interactive-announces-war-of-the-vikings

:black101:

This is the by same people who did War of the Roses, right?

seems rather ominous

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

ThePutty posted:

seems rather ominous

Hopefully they've learned a thing or two from the guys who made Chivalry.

Hint: add a hotkey for yellinGAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

beefart posted:

Hopefully they've learned a thing or two from the guys who made Chivalry.

Hint: add a hotkey for yellinGAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

If this game about Vikings doesn't have war cries, it's already dead.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So what with the ability of the CK2-EU4 converter to generate new countries- even using Muslim dynastic names for EU4 country names- does that mean that the game will no longer use the every-country-gets-a-text-file-in-the-Common-folder system EU3 used? I'm just kind of wondering how, say, the CK2-converted Genericids of Syria would generate advisor and ship names in EU4. Does the game use a central cultural index of names, like CK2, so that all (fr'ex) Turkish states use the same pool of people and ship names?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ThePutty posted:

seems rather ominous

Welp, this reminded me that War of the Roses actually came out, I had completely forgotten about it.

Given that the SA thread has already fallen into archives, and that Chivalry:MW seems to be more popular despite not being free-to-play (and looking much worse), should I infer that WotR wasn't very good?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Randallteal posted:

There are already some really great small-focus strategy-simulation games set in the 20th century: Crisis in the Kremlin, Hidden Agenda, Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space.

Everything since the early 90s has been a bloated mess like the superpower games, though. Modern politics, war and economics simulated on a global scale is too complicated. It would be like Victoria x 1, 000.

I don't know, I think it could be possible and really fun.

For example, you know the Trade Republic mechanics in CK2? Why not do something like that to represent things like economic regions and free trade zones? For example, a nation that was part of the EU could go into the trade zone overlay and see which nations were part of the same economic community, and would have access to some sort of free trade economic bonus. Same for NAFTA signatories and such.

Multinational corporations could be spawned at some point -- or could start off as corporations within a nation and leap abroad once certain technological and legal conditions were satisfied. They would have headquarters in a certain province, and spread across a nation's provinces as they gained access to resources, trade concessions, established franchises, and that sort of thing. Their various goals and aspirations could easily be scripted -- a mining company would attempt to establish operations in provinces that produced lots of raw ore for example, and would bring bonuses to the host nation, as well as some maluses like popular sentiment.

Transnational organizations, like the World Bank, the United Nations, or the EU could also be represented by a unique political screen, which would display the various organizations you were part of using tabs. Voting mechanics for the UN, for example, could be a bit similar to HRE voting mechanics in EUIV. You could also propose various international laws and regulations, or sanctions, and if they passed they'd apply various modifiers to the target nations or signatories of the laws.

I think that the resource and goods system for V2 could be simplified for a modern game. Reduce it to raw materials and then abstract all the manufactured goods as "industries", rather than simulating at the level of individual factories' inputs and outputs. Industries could be represented as a percentage of the economic output of any given province, and would contribute to the national budget depending on the level of corporate taxation.

I could even see raw materials and such being tied in directly to the terrain screen, making it actually useful for the player. For example, you might know that certain materials tend to be found in mountains -- like ores, gems, and that kind of thing -- or that oil deposits would occur in this or that area, or that forests could be used for timber, agricultural extraction, bio-pharmaceuticals, and tourism.

You could implement international trade in the form of shipping and air routes not unlike that in EU4. Maybe it could be its own mapmode showing the volume of trade that you export/import to each country in the world. There could even be a financial market that might simulate the strength of nations' currencies, depending on the size of their economies, which you could impact by choosing policies in your own nation.

I think that just because the modern world is very broad and interconnected doesn't mean that it's not possible to abstract and simulate in a really fun strategy game!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 6, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

NihilCredo posted:

Welp, this reminded me that War of the Roses actually came out, I had completely forgotten about it.

Given that the SA thread has already fallen into archives, and that Chivalry:MW seems to be more popular despite not being free-to-play (and looking much worse), should I infer that WotR wasn't very good?

War of the Roses didn't launch as a free title. Unlike Chivalry, it never gained a large enough following to have a decent number of players. Given the price tag (the free version is pretty limited), Chivalry is generally considered the better choice.

Edit: As far as gameplay goes, Chivalry has significantly better combat. WotR has better customization and some cooler maps, but most of the following for that kind of game was built upon Chivalry itself (when it was a mod), so you can see why that is more popular. Also, first person (+ third person) tends to win over third person.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 6, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ofaloaf posted:

So what with the ability of the CK2-EU4 converter to generate new countries- even using Muslim dynastic names for EU4 country names- does that mean that the game will no longer use the every-country-gets-a-text-file-in-the-Common-folder system EU3 used? I'm just kind of wondering how, say, the CK2-converted Genericids of Syria would generate advisor and ship names in EU4. Does the game use a central cultural index of names, like CK2, so that all (fr'ex) Turkish states use the same pool of people and ship names?

The converter creates a mod for EUIV, so it's creating new tags dynamically. I'm guessing it pulls the culture names from the CKII files and parses them into whatever format EUIV uses.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

Cycloneman posted:

Counterpoint: Reds: A Revolutionary Timeline. :colbert:

This man is correct.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

From my admittedly limited experience with each (I've got 4 hours in Chivalry and about 2 in the barebones F2P version of WotR), it seems to be more about what you're looking for; Chivalry tends to be more fast-paced and frenetic while Roses is slower and a bit more methodical. In Chivalry, your teammates all scream (there's a dedicated scream button) and rush the enemy, the two sides collide, and limbs and heads start flying off immediately. Roses tends to involve a lot of one on one duels, a lot of closely watching the enemy, blocking or ducking their strikes, and depending on your weapon and their armor maybe a lot of battering them down over a while. Chivalry has all that as well, but like I said it's so fast-paced that it doesn't feel quite like a one-on-one duel, just blocking a dude's attack, killing him, and moving on to the next guy.

I quite enjoy them both, but I'm currently hardcore addicted to Mount and Blade: Warband, so I've been using that for my medieval combat game of choice. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either one.

e: basically for a tl;dr, Chivalry feels more like a battle, WotR is more like a series of duels.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 6, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sorry if this has been covered but as I'm playing a ck2 game right now in the hopes of converting to EU4 I had a few converter questions I couldn't quite find answers to out there.

-I understand the base tax of a province will be handled by the amount of holdings, but will improvements or the types of holdings matter at all? A county with 5 fully upgraded holdings is a hell of a lot richer than a county with 5 barely-improved holdings. I remember reading that improvements won't count for anything so that seems a bit weak.

-How will vassals work? I'm playing a republic which means I can't increase crown authority beyond low (for some reason) what can I expect post-conversion for my kingdom? Will my entire kingdom be converted into a single unified country or will only my direct personal holdings?

-I think I read trade posts won't count for poo poo either. This makes me sad, come on wiz toss us a minor base tax bonus or something :(

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Sorry if this has been covered but as I'm playing a ck2 game right now in the hopes of converting to EU4 I had a few converter questions I couldn't quite find answers to out there.

-I understand the base tax of a province will be handled by the amount of holdings, but will improvements or the types of holdings matter at all? A county with 5 fully upgraded holdings is a hell of a lot richer than a county with 5 barely-improved holdings. I remember reading that improvements won't count for anything so that seems a bit weak.

-How will vassals work? I'm playing a republic which means I can't increase crown authority beyond low (for some reason) what can I expect post-conversion for my kingdom? Will my entire kingdom be converted into a single unified country or will only my direct personal holdings?

-I think I read trade posts won't count for poo poo either. This makes me sad, come on wiz toss us a minor base tax bonus or something :(

1. Correct, it's just based on number of holdings. I agree it's kind of lame, I'd love it if Dublin was the technological center of the world in my for-export game, but I don't know how much the AI focuses on building more holdings so if you make a bunch of castles and towns you may be able to get a good lead on them anyway.

2. Your direct personal holdings will be your single unified country, your vassals' holdings will start out as vassal countries (think France vs. Orleans, Bourbon, etc. in the base game) e: for low CA only, afaik

3. I don't know this one, sorry.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 6, 2013

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

-Improvements don't matter, only number of holdings. Kinda sucks, but whatever, it's better than a set value.

-I though republics don't have crown authority? Because they're republics, not kingdoms? Either way, it'll probably be a single country after conversion.

-Even a small bonus would lead to a lot of inflation, considering the average base tax is probably something like 4 or 5. I think it'd be cool if it added some trade steering power to the province, but that might make coastal provinces overpowered.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

In MEIOU, does asking the Emperor for a promotion to prince do anything other than upgrade your title? I've got Mecklenburg up to 5 cities and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth diplo-annexing my (imperial territory) vassal to push me to 6.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Luigi Thirty posted:

In MEIOU, does asking the Emperor for a promotion to prince do anything other than upgrade your title? I've got Mecklenburg up to 5 cities and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth diplo-annexing my (imperial territory) vassal to push me to 6.

All the bonuses from your government type are scaled up a bit(can't remember how much) and you get some prestige. It also lowers your legitimacy a bunch for some reason.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Not really worth taking the prestige and infamy hits if I'm a filthy rich trading-focused Feudal Monarchy then.

Why did they make decentralization increase inflation? I started at +4 and 50 years into the game I'm at 1% inflation and there's nothing I can do about it.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I assume because they wanted inflation to actually have an effect beyond the early game. It still doesn't though. Last game I played in MEIOU, not a single country in my tech group had any inflation a couple decades after mints were enabled. If they really wanted to make inflation hurt, they shouldn't have made centralization decrease it, because with a mint and full centralization, you don't even need a master of the mint to avoid inflation.

I really can't wait to be done with sliders, both economic and national.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is there any kind of deal for preordering EU4? Any particular place thats selling it cheapest around? Want to preorder this thing, dammit.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Is there any kind of deal for preordering EU4? Any particular place thats selling it cheapest around? Want to preorder this thing, dammit.

Green Man Gaming will give you $8 cash back or $12 credit for pre-ordering the Digital Extreme Edition ($7/10 for standard). You might be able to find a voucher to add a 20% or better discount, but I'm not sure if there are any for August yet.

Alternatively, get a friend to gift you a cheaper version of the game. For instance, on Steam it costs me $30.52 for standard or $32.70 for DEE. And I know a few other countries can get significantly better prices.

Edit: That's before the 10% discount, as I don't have any EU games on Steam.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Liberatore posted:

Green Man Gaming will give you $8 cash back or $12 credit for pre-ordering the Digital Extreme Edition ($7/10 for standard). You might be able to find a voucher to add a 20% or better discount, but I'm not sure if there are any for August yet.
I was asking about this earlier and someone said GMG vouchers never apply to games with the cashback/credit offers. Some regions don't have that offer on EU4, so a voucher would work for them, but you can't combine them.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

A Violence Gang posted:

I was asking about this earlier and someone said GMG vouchers never apply to games with the cashback/credit offers. Some regions don't have that offer on EU4, so a voucher would work for them, but you can't combine them.

Ah. I haven't bought anything from GMG since they've added cashback/credit offers, so I wasn't aware of this. My bad!

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone know if upon completion of a mission in EU4 you get three fresh ones to choose from or is it the two previously unselected + one new? Reading the Byz AAR got me thinking cause the mission that gets you borders with Austria would not be completed for quite some time if I were calling the shots and having it stick around would suck...

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So how do cultures and stuff work with the CK2 to EU3 converter? Thinking of a game that I could play from the OG start date all the way to the end without getting bored, thinking of doing an Estonia -> Novrogrod game. If I ended as Novrogrod, would the game understand my culture is Estonian and not Russian?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Fun World Stage fact! Though no one will ever see it, because Magna Mundi/World Stage demo ends in 1500 and the actual game will never be released, there is an event chain in World Stage that can lead to a unified Revolutionary Germany under this guy appearing in the 1520s under the name German Democratic Republic.

Just thought you should know that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Reveilled posted:

MTTH was Crusader Kings, Victoria had the same system as EU2 essentially.

EU2 was definitely railroaded, but that was a part of the game's philosophy and it led the modding community for the game in a fun direction, which was essentially a railway network. You might only have a limited number of railway lines to follow, but at the start of the game you were in your country's central station and could go a lot of places and see some interesting sights on the way. With the major mod of that game, the AGCEEP, many countries got an event every couple of years dealing with an event in the country's history, or the alt-history outcomes of previous events. Nowadays that sort of stuff is generally handled dynamically by the existing systems, which is better on most levels, but I confess I rather miss the events of EU2 in a certain way--EU3 can represent the Hussite wars as a religious war that you either win or lose and maybe put Jan Hus in Bohemia as a theologian at the ruler's court, (modded) EU2 represented it as a war with something like 40 events each with a three or four paragraph history lesson about (for example) the difference between the Utraquist and Taborite factions within the Hussites and why they were on the verge of coming to blows.

So while you could pick up as Bohemia and EU3 and just play a game, EU2 came with a free history lesson on the nation you were playing as while you played, with some choose-your-own-adventure elements mixed in. The Events of EU2 gave each nation character, a uniqueness you literally would never get playing another nation, and EU3 lost that hard to begin with.

Now I don't want to oversell my point, I'd never go back to EU2 and I think EU4 is hitting a happy balance, but EU3 really was terrible at release compared to modded EU2--every nation was functionally identical except for shape and colour and they had nothing interesting about them, there was no decision system so everything had to be done by events, but the events were imprecise by design to make creation of those long and extraordinarily complex chains of events we'd had from EU2 impossible, and it all was a giant mass of boring. Napoleon's aambition helped, but EU3 wasn't really a better game than EU2 (for all its faults) until In Nomine came out.

This. EU3 was a massive disappointment for me and I preferred EU2 for a very long time. As recently as a year or so ago I played some For the Glory, actually. For me EU3 didn't really fit together into a genuinely fun game experience until HttT. Fortunately, EU4 looks to be a straight up improvement over 3, so I haven't been this excited for a PC game for a good while.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Patter Song posted:

Fun World Stage fact! Though no one will ever see it, because Magna Mundi/World Stage demo ends in 1500 and the actual game will never be released, there is an event chain in World Stage that can lead to a unified Revolutionary Germany under this guy appearing in the 1520s under the name German Democratic Republic.

Ubik, where's my "We are the World Stage" campaign? :colbert:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Rejected Fate posted:

So how do cultures and stuff work with the CK2 to EU3 converter? Thinking of a game that I could play from the OG start date all the way to the end without getting bored, thinking of doing an Estonia -> Novrogrod game. If I ended as Novrogrod, would the game understand my culture is Estonian and not Russian?

It definitely should, and if it doesn't for some reason it's easy to fix. Incidentally, I'm doing a similar game. Prepare to be sick of the ~400 years of Norse raiding and adventurers that come with a coastline.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 6, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Patter Song posted:

This was in MM when it was a mod, you could also have this guy end up as ruler. Shame the event would basically never happen because it required fairly specific conditions and had a high MTTH. It was more of an easter egg really, I remember someone specifically trying to set it up by artificially inducing decades of crippling war in the HRE during the Reformation without seeing the even fire.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

This was in MM when it was a mod, you could also have this guy end up as ruler. Shame the event would basically never happen because it required fairly specific conditions and had a high MTTH. It was more of an easter egg really, I remember someone specifically trying to set it up by artificially inducing decades of crippling war in the HRE during the Reformation without seeing the even fire.
I had the event randomly fire for Austria while I was playing Prussia, which was a surprise to say the least. Unfortunately, the AI absolute sucks at pushing its claims, and I think Austrian culture states have a decision to become Austria since it became Austria again pretty quickly. Actually, I think I've seen it twice playing as Prussia, besides the one time I forced it to fire for myself. Sweet flag and map color though, really stands out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Was that even MM specific, or did that come out of SRI?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I got a vassalize mission on the Free City of Bremen but the Vassalization CB seems to have disappeared. How do I get it back? :confused:

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Puella Magissima posted:

All the bonuses from your government type are scaled up a bit(can't remember how much) and you get some prestige. It also lowers your legitimacy a bunch for some reason.

It's been a while but from what I remember it is one of the only ways to increase the "level" of your goverment, which you need to not get horrible overextension penalties as you grow. SO it is a very important thing to do, but there's not much point expanding just to get the next title, it goes more the other way around.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

GameFly has a 20% coupon. GFDAUG20

Europa Universalis IV comes out to $31.99

Europa Universalis IV Digital Extreme Edition comes out to $35.99

Orv
May 4, 2011
Have they said anything about how the converter is going to handle unions, or whatever they're called in EU? Is there a CK2 treaty/alliance/vassalage condition that will translate into that?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Orv posted:

Have they said anything about how the converter is going to handle unions, or whatever they're called in EU? Is there a CK2 treaty/alliance/vassalage condition that will translate into that?
You mean cultural unions, or personal unions?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

You mean cultural unions, or personal unions?

Personal, I forgot cultural ones were a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I know that EUIV hasn't come out yet so any mechanics questions are basically unanswerable, but have the Paradox devs said if there can be multiple organizations that use the HRE/Imperial Faction/Shogunate systems? For instance, could I have an Incan Empire that uses a modified Faction system at the same time that the Ming are using their own? If any of the Paradox devs could shine light on this, that would be great.

• Locked thread