Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Surprise Noodle posted:

I think they're just afraid of doing that because they know that S-Def is way, way more valuable than either other defense stat. I appreciate them not wanting to invalidate other content, but yeah, it's pretty frustrating.

They could maybe avoid doing that by adding more ranged and tech-oriented enemies but who am I kidding, that would take actual foresight and effort. Just like adding enemies who are ice and wind element and making elemental resistances not a complete joke takes too much foresight and effort.

They have all these mechanics that could seriously spice up combat variety, add real difficulty, and create openings for weapons with special mechanics so weapons aren't so blatantly tiered. Making a demand for multiple weapons of the same category and of diverse elements would maybe make the insane grind be less necessary but nope, not going to happen.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Miijhal posted:

They could maybe do that by adding more ranged and tech-oriented enemies

No, please...no. I already hate Signo Guns so much, I can't take any more.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Entire maps of satellite lizards, poison lilies, and chaos sorcerers. A dystopian future where you can't walk an inch without getting poisoned and harassed by invisible iguana.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 6, 2013

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Miijhal posted:

Entire maps of satellite lizards, poison lilies, and chaos sorcerers. A dystopian future where you can't walk an inch without getting poisoned and harassed by invisible iguana.

:getin: :smithicide: I loving hated chaos sorcs.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

InfinityComplex posted:

Buying XQ Units are also overrated. They drop in the XQs themselves.
Maybe for YOU. All I have is two copies of lovely T-Def armor from all my XQs.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

Protocol 5 posted:

I have double affixed Bulbhegs, Varemziz and Deza Plate, which have 225 S-Def at +10, and importantly have melee resistance, which those other two don't. The combination of the two significantly reduces melee damage compared to those.

Speaking of, what are the affixes that are generally recommended? I'm guessing some combination of a Soul that boosts your primary offensive stat and either Power/Shoot/Tech 3?

I've hit the legendarily terrible 45+ grind at this point so I don't have a lot to look forwards to other than trying to pimp my equipment and buying cool robot parts.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Captain Keene posted:

Speaking of, what are the affixes that are generally recommended? I'm guessing some combination of a Soul that boosts your primary offensive stat and either Power/Shoot/Tech 3?

I've hit the legendarily terrible 45+ grind at this point so I don't have a lot to look forwards to other than trying to pimp my equipment and buying cool robot parts.

Vol/Ragne/Meizer Soul + Power/Tech/shoot III + Stamina III + Stamina/Power/Tech/Range Boost (special items you use in affixing) + Ability II or III + Mutation/Viniculum is what you would want in a perfect world, but realistically you should just shoot for just the soul and stat III

Meizer soul boosts the affix rate of shoot, but the souls that boost Power and Tech are not S-atk or T-atk souls so you go with the HP boosting souls

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Double post, but I guess AIDA figured out how to alter the item names client-side and has it as an option in the Tweaker now. I'm watching someone stream with this thing enabled and it just feels wrong being able to read item names directly.

I'll probably see what my team buddies think later but I might not use it, which is kinda funny when I think about it.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Double name bosses get an HP multiplier that stacks with the one from infection, that's why you'll sometimes run into an EQ Big V that takes forever to break all the parts, and double name Olg bosses in Shore have totally ridiculous HP. 25K damage per tick from burn 4 is the highest I've seen, which indicates that the total HP was somewhere around 1.8 million. They're also supposed to roll more affixes on the items they drop, in addition to being able to roll mutation as an affix.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

NextTime000 posted:

Double post, but I guess AIDA figured out how to alter the item names client-side and has it as an option in the Tweaker now. I'm watching someone stream with this thing enabled and it just feels wrong being able to read item names directly.

I thought the items were server side, meaning the only way for this to be possible would be editing server side code?

This sounds like a huge no-no, but if he found a way for it to be strictly local...

I really wonder how Sega feels about this patch.

year199X fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 6, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Uh, no, it wouldn't be necessary to edit server side code at all. See, the typical translation patch works just by editing texts strings stored in local files. Since the item data is stored server side you can't edit directly at all, but you can hack something together that will display a particular text string in place of the data sent from the server.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Protocol 5 posted:

Uh, no, it wouldn't be necessary to edit server side code at all. See, the typical translation patch works just by editing texts strings stored in local files. Since the item data is stored server side you can't edit directly at all, but you can hack something together that will display a particular text string in place of the data sent from the server.

Okay, that makes sense. It also seems like a really obvious solution. What was the blocking issue?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I swear to god, 49-50 is the longest grind ever. So close to extreme quests... So close yet so far.

I just did it over the course of the last two days, so I feel you man. :shobon:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

I'll probably see what my team buddies think later but I might not use it, which is kinda funny when I think about it.

I'll definitely be using this. Not only will it make things easier, but It'll be easier to get my friends in on this. They know about the English patch, but the untranslated items were kind of a sticking point. Now when they ask what an item is I won't have to say 'I dunno, let me look it up.'

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

One and the Same posted:

I'll definitely be using this. Not only will it make things easier, but It'll be easier to get my friends in on this. They know about the English patch, but the untranslated items were kind of a sticking point. Now when they ask what an item is I won't have to say 'I dunno, let me look it up.'

Honestly I've been playing for so long I'm actually starting to get adept at reading katakana quickly enough that I can tell what most items are in the brief second the item name is on screen.

Kanji can still gently caress off though.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

year199X posted:

Okay, that makes sense. It also seems like a really obvious solution. What was the blocking issue?

I don't use the patch myself, so not a clue. If I had to speculate, I'd imagine it would require some kind of memory address editing to inject the text strings into the UI, which would probably take a lot of trial and error.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You download the item names from the server, the tweaker edits/replaces these files/memory/idk after you get the data. I assume it will be expanded to do more than item names in time.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Wonder how this would affect c/ping item names into the visiphone for shop searching.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

year199X posted:

Honestly I've been playing for so long I'm actually starting to get adept at reading katakana quickly enough that I can tell what most items are in the brief second the item name is on screen.

Kanji can still gently caress off though.

I can stumble my way through kana alright, but it gets irritating having to sound everything out. Its generally been less hassle to copy-paste it into google.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

just a butt posted:

Wonder how this would affect c/ping item names into the visiphone for shop searching.

they somehow made it so you type the English name, click the button next to the text box, then it puts the English and Japanese name in the text box, then you delete the English name and search; from what I have seen from this stream I have been watchin

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Highlighting an item in your inventory and pressing ctrl+c still copies the japanese name, too. It's all covered here.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

NextTime000 posted:

and it just feels wrong being able to read item names directly.

It really does feel weird to be able to read item names. Almost like it's a mismatched font or something.

Definitely cool and I'll use it but after having seen everything else in Japanese for so long it's a bit weird.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
I managed to get the 10 star sword, Sadiena Edge just running very hard CBB. Best thing so far.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The item names are cached into a big ol' DB file in /Documents/Sega/PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 for speed reasons, so I'm guessing Tweaker watches it for changes then applies English to it when it does. Now, granted I have little faith in AIDA's ability for..anything (I file/network watched Tweaker and it's hilarious how ineptly it's put together, the story patch is filled with immature cussing where it doesn't belong, storing updates on a public Dropbox share, etc) but this isn't any different from using the English patches, as far as detection/TOU abuse goes, if anybody is worried about that.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

In the Japanese version Klariskrays habitually calls you the rough equivalent of motherfucker.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Clara has a very high opinion of herself, a rather low opinion of everyone else, and unfortunately her relative social status kinda backs this up.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Protocol 5 posted:

In the Japanese version Klariskrays habitually calls you the rough equivalent of motherfucker.
You should have seen this dumb argument we had on psumods about this. Some people kept arguing that "kisama" isn't rude, or an insult. That first draft of the story translation was painful. The word "peon" accounted for about 35% of Claris Claes' text.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I just thought she was a fan of the band Keith Summer and the Ya-2s. :sweatdrop:

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Surprise Noodle posted:

You should have seen this dumb argument we had on psumods about this. Some people kept arguing that "kisama" isn't rude, or an insult. That first draft of the story translation was painful. The word "peon" accounted for about 35% of Claris Claes' text.

The danger of having translations done by people with 2 semesters of introductory level Japanese and a poo poo load of videogames/cartoons as their only experience.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Protocol 5 posted:

The danger of having translations done by people with 2 semesters of introductory level Japanese and a poo poo load of videogames/cartoons as their only experience.

Yeah, it really needs a good editing. The framework for a decent translation is there, but.. it really needs a good spitshine.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Kairinko posted:

I've been playing for a while, but I just realized SA has a thread for the game, so that's exciting. I play on Ship 10 (2 was full when I registered) under the character names Bella Noce and M4K0.

Hey another Ship 10er, I'll look for you the next time on I'm on. Player name's Saetri.

quote:

I love how this is episode 4 in a nutshell.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 7, 2013

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
The PSO2 tweaker doesn't seem to work anymore. It gives me a bandwith error every time I start it up, what gives? Should I just re-download and set it up again?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

OrangeSoda posted:

The PSO2 tweaker doesn't seem to work anymore. It gives me a bandwith error every time I start it up, what gives? Should I just re-download and set it up again?

The old version got its updates from a public Dropbox share, which is hilariously bad idea. The newer version (which you'll have to go re-get from PSOW) pulls them from elsewhere.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, it really needs a good editing. The framework for a decent translation is there, but.. it really needs a good spitshine.

Anybody who says they don't need an editor is full of poo poo, to be honest. The trouble with online projects like that is that no one knows anyone else, so they won't listen to any criticism of their work. See basically every modding scene ever.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
You see, the thing is, the current version of the story translation is edited. I should know, I did most of the editing. Chapters 1 through 8, at least, and some event tablets. After that, I got busy, the story patch seemed to be consistently broken and game crashing, and I just sort of got tired of dealing with someone who thought it would be a funny joke to have all the characters spout memes and non-sequitur vulgarity in the extra chapter, so I stopped.

Admittedly, I know zero Japanese, and mostly just did a quick proofreading, changing things here and there to sound better. I think I did a pretty decent job with the first chapter or two, but I tried to power through it too quickly and gave up on doing a reworking of the text in the later chapters.

But yeah, if you think it's rough now (which it most definitely is), be glad you never really saw the first draft, full of out-of-place honorifics, awkward as hell phrasing, rampant grammatical issues, and typos out the wazoo.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Well, to be fair, the writing in the Japanese version is standard boilerplate pap, and you can't polish a turd, so it's not like any translation of it would come out looking like great writing anyway. Just to reiterate, I don't use the patch myself, so I'm just speaking in generalities here and not singling anyone out for abuse. And don't feel bad about burning out on a project like this, these kinds of things go through editors like a frat party goes through Natty Ice.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
I've never actually used the story patch either, despite revising the bulk of it. After looking at a giant .txt file for hours on end, I didn't really care to see it in the game. Besides, I got the gist of the plot anyway, I guess.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
The translation is alright, and it works. I got an actual idea on what the gently caress is happening, and I can better fill in the blanks because of it.

It's a worse version of Radiant Historia with the time travel cut out.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The item translation no longer seems to function after the new update. I wonder if they found out what Aida was doing and closed what ever exploit he used to make item translation possible? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Patch notes are up, but not a whole lot we didn't already know about. Some nice enemy changes though, with Aqualupus getting an HP nerf and a longer wind-up and reduced range on their spin attack, Windiras will take more headshot damage and fly lower, Dagashes and Dagachas will fly lower, and Kartagos have had lock on locations removed to make it easier to hit their WP.

• Locked thread