Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I know we probably don't want to be steering people towards blood, but a lot of posts as of recent have forgotten (or chosen to ignore) that bloodline + finish the movement + bloodshot spam is a real thing.

That being said, don't go blood DPS because everyone will hate you for not having group buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is it just me, or is the Illuminati version of "London Underground" incredibly difficult? It might be easier without the timer, but as is I'm having a lot of trouble completing it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

packetmantis posted:

Is it just me, or is the Illuminati version of "London Underground" incredibly difficult? It might be easier without the timer, but as is I'm having a lot of trouble completing it.

At the point in the game you get it, every version of London underground is difficult.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GEMorris posted:

I know we probably don't want to be steering people towards blood, but a lot of posts as of recent have forgotten (or chosen to ignore) that bloodline + finish the movement + bloodshot spam is a real thing.

That being said, don't go blood DPS because everyone will hate you for not having group buffs.

Blood DPS is also very hard to do well. It involves careful management of Blood Offering in addition to more nuanced resource management.

Finish The Movement/Bloodshot is not a new idea, Crowd did it a year ago very, very well. (I did it quite poorly.) It's just if you do a bad job of it, it will perform markedly below specs that are easier to play.

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009

packetmantis posted:

The London Underground, if I'm thinking of the right image, is a doozy all around, and honestly I don't really care for how it's designed. The objectives are kinda repetitive and confusing, and the lack of a map was a bad decision. The Pyramidian really couldn't dredge up an old map of the sewer and send it to my phone?

My advice is to drop it for now, since it's poorly placed in the gear curve. Come back when you have better equipment and you should have a better shot. The dudes you fight are huge speedbumps until you get the firepower to burn 'em down right quick.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

GEMorris posted:

At the point in the game you get it, every version of London underground is difficult.

The Dragon version is arguably the hardest because you can't click on the sword half the time :laugh:

Skion
Mar 24, 2013

HughGRect posted:

You are bringing a ton of support that most fights just don't call for. Deadly Aim is good, Win-Win is situational and Insult To Injury (Weaken-debil) is typically a tank responsibility.

Usually when your picking two weapons when doing NM's you want them to be in the same range bracket, so running with blades and pistols is kinda meh. If you can make it work all the more power to you, but it will be a red flag to a lot of players. Pretty much any ranged weapon will pair well with pistols and most people use shotgun early on because of all the buffs your capable of bringing to the fights.

I noticed a bit of synergy between focus attacks and crit hits, that is always a good thing. Unfortunately the state of focus abilities is that they don't measure up to other non-subtyped abilities. The same can be said about critical hits as well, in it's current state Live Wire has just been nerfed too hard. You would be better off using Fluid Defense or Seal the Deal depending on your final build.

I recommend this build as something that does a decent job in NM's:

Pistol / Shotgun

This is a complete cookie cutter build and will perform well enough to clear content as your gear level improves. The goal of the build is to line up elemental force to force crit shootout, so your rotation would be:

Builder x 5
Aux or 6th builder
Out for a Kill
Shootout

As you get familiar with the rotation, start putting Lock, Stock and Barrel into it for an extra Out for a Kill after Shootout.

A less fussy version would be to remove Seal the Deal and Elemental Force and replace them with fluid defense and Overpenetration. Then your just building to five and letting the consumers fly.

I heard from somewhere else that livewire got nerfed, I know there's an internal cooldown of 1sec on all passives, but didn't look too bad. May try seal the deal instead since I can get a 5charge shootout every refresh, and alternate with what the gently caress ever.
Oh, I've also tried some minor pistols/blood focus with exsanguinate, but it's a bit buggy and caused some rubberbanding deaths on machine tyrant. The extra range is great though, may see if I can make use of blood as my builder instead.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

GEMorris posted:

The Dragon version is a complete joke, you can just sprint past everything, clicking the objective, and leave.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

OneEightHundred posted:

The Dragon version is a complete joke, you can just sprint past everything, clicking the objective, and leave.

You mean "sneak in and take the artifact while everyone else is fighting."

(I still had no idea where to go and ragequit the mission my first time around due to time limit frustration. Shame, because I'd really like more "active warzone"-style missions.)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

HughGRect posted:

replace them with fluid defense and Overpenetration.
Minor nitpick, don't take Overpenetration into a dungeon, Iron Maiden is strictly better than it unless your tank isn't applying affliction for some reason. They also don't stack with each other.

Another thing too is that regardless of staying in a range bracket, melee DPS has serious issues in NM because it doesn't do much more than ranged, but around half of nightmare bosses will either dump AOEs at their feet or have some other gently caress melee gimmick (i.e. Recursia's shields).

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
The newest Twitter thing seems to be a modelling shoot. Tweet them your pretty princess outfits! Finally, a use for all these screencaps I've been taking.

goons.jpg

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 7, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zephonith posted:

The newest Twitter thing seems to be a modelling shoot. Tweet them your pretty princess outfits! Finally, a use for all these screencaps I've been taking.

goons.jpg

Not enough bare chest. When I'm on my real computer I'll grab a screen of my Unicorn Model. If only the unicorn head was rocking some Fabio hair.

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!
I love TSW. I really do. Just...At the moment I'm bored out of my mind.

I originally wanted to DPS as elementalism/swords, because that sounded loving awesome, and that's what I did the story missions as, mostly. Apparently that's wrong and I should feel bad, though?

Besides that, I'm stuck in that weird position where I'm upgraded enough that people don't want me for 18/18, but I'm also not upgraded enough for the later Nightmares, so it feels like I log on to do nothing.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Noanth

This is my character. I'll be honest, I have no idea how I got in that cabal.

Is there any advice I can be given?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yue posted:

I originally wanted to DPS as elementalism/swords, because that sounded loving awesome, and that's what I did the story missions as, mostly. Apparently that's wrong and I should feel bad, though?

Besides that, I'm stuck in that weird position where I'm upgraded enough that people don't want me for 18/18, but I'm also not upgraded enough for the later Nightmares, so it feels like I log on to do nothing.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Noanth

This is my character. I'll be honest, I have no idea how I got in that cabal.

Is there any advice I can be given?

Be in mumble. We've been hurting for goons lately to do any dungeons with and are usually more than willing to help lower geared people put.

Edit: I'm gonna be home later if any of you good geared types wanna help my alt through elites.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
i've been meaning to be more active, I think I'm gonna need some advice on sorting out my gear and builds though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yue posted:

Besides that, I'm stuck in that weird position where I'm upgraded enough that people don't want me for 18/18

I don't know who these people are, but there could not be a more wrong statement about progression in this game.

Unless you have 5 full sets of 10.4/10.4 gear, you aren't done with 18/18.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
Have been playing this with some friends to kill time till FFXIV launches. I have been having a surprising amount of fun, the 5-mans are great. My favorite so far is the Mayan one. Every now and then I eat a big bag of poo poo while questing but it's a nice change of pace from most MMOs these days.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Yue posted:

Don't feel bad necessarily. It's a nice mix of ranged and melee for soloing, but what works in solo generally doesn't work in dungeons. Gotta have the right tools for the job and all that.

Yue posted:

I'm guessing you're in that weird area of roughly 2.8-3.6K attack rating, where you're too experienced for beginner runs but not hitting hard enough for fast groups? One way to get into better groups is learning different roles - it's one of the reasons I learnt to tank (the other: I was really bad at Primordial Dweller), and it turns out I quite like it. It's certainly less boring. The gear requirements for healing and tanking are generally lower, plus having that extra versatility is nice.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Or just do like it did and only ever run with goons, or other groups that don't do the "below 4k AR = run newbie groups" crap.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

orcane posted:

Or just do like it did and only ever run with goons, or other groups that don't do the "below 4k AR = run newbie groups" crap.
That's not really happening now, because outside of raid time, there aren't usually enough people around to run 18s.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wonder why that is. Still, if you can find 2-3 goons it should at least be better than full pubbie groups.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

Be in mumble. We've been hurting for goons lately to do any dungeons with and are usually more than willing to help lower geared people put.

I could stand to do a few more dungeons at some point. We'll have to arrange a mutually convenient time, what with me being in the UK.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Cheston posted:

As far as "durable solo build" goes, you're pretty much set. Try fitting in Stone's Throw somewhere- it's a resource-free attack on a short cooldown. You can almost definitely afford to give up some defensive abilities/boosts, but I don't think sword/hammer actually has any more offensive abilities/boosts. You'll only have issues with the Fungi in Shadowy Forest, which, uh, react badly to being Afflicted.

For Elite dungeons and Nightmares, you'll want something more focused. If you want to Tank, swap out your builder for Blade Torrent - it gives more threat. You might also want to swap out your hammer consumer for Razor Shards, which gives a large threat boost to your next attack.

For everything else, you'll need to flesh out AR, Shotgun, and Pistols (DPS) and Fists (healing for people in QL10 blues).

Thanks for the response. With Leeching Frenzy, is it worthwhile to have some heal rating? Healing head (with pen/hit), 2 +health majors, rest DPS (for blue gear) or another combination?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I read someone in chat saying that 100k for the first runspeed upgrade isn't worth it?

Are they full of poo poo?

I like going fast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brain In A Jar posted:

I read someone in chat saying that 100k for the first runspeed upgrade isn't worth it?

I like going fast.

There s gently caress all else to spend pxr on.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
The last runspeed upgrade is amazing, too. If they're saying skip the first one, I guess that's only mildly stupid of them. If they're saying skip all sprint upgrades, they're completely retarded.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

doomfunk posted:

The last runspeed upgrade is amazing, too. If they're saying skip the first one, I guess that's only mildly stupid of them. If they're saying skip all sprint upgrades, they're completely retarded.

How do you know when you can get the last one?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I think it's tied to faction rank. You need to have the first one to be able to buy the second and so on anyway, so the guy saying not to buy it is uninformed.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Nostrum posted:

Thanks for the response. With Leeching Frenzy, is it worthwhile to have some heal rating? Healing head (with pen/hit), 2 +health majors, rest DPS (for blue gear) or another combination?

Wait, are we talking about solo or group? For group content definitely not. Leeching Frenzy is a great heal for solo play, but none of the healing passive are significant enough for group play. Even for solo play I'd avoid a healing headpiece (especially with 2 +HP majors). I toy around with a heal major or minor (can't really say I notice much of a difference overall), but only when the glyph stats on the heal piece are appropriate (after 3K AR glyph stats become much more influential to your overall damage than AR which is hitting diminishing returns). If 2 major HP pieces work for you that's great, though you should get a feel for it. I used to run a single HP major for solo content, now I run a minor (I have 2 blue vigours so thats +660HP effectively giving me a majors worth of HP with a minor).

If you are looking at building a tank set, stay with just that head and major AR+Hit you made last night. Generally tanks strive for Head+2Major AR (or Head+Major+2Minor), but you need upgraded HP pieces and generally some vigour signets before you will have adequate HP to equip the last AR piece. No need to buy customs that you will replace, so keep wearing a HP dungeon drop piece in that slot until the rest of your gear is custom and upgraded. The general goal (regarding the AR/HP budget) while increasing your tank gear is to have 10K HP. And don't worry Head+Major AR is certainly enough AR to hold threat on everything in the game.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 8, 2013

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Jedit posted:

I could stand to do a few more dungeons at some point. We'll have to arrange a mutually convenient time, what with me being in the UK.

There's probably enough of us UK goons that we could do it at the right time. I've still not done most of the dungeons due to time-scheduling issues.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

There's probably enough of us UK goons that we could do it at the right time. I've still not done most of the dungeons due to time-scheduling issues.

I'm still in need of some carrying. Got my QL10 Assault Rifle, but everything else is still around QL5.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Jedit posted:

I'm still in need of some carrying. Got my QL10 Assault Rifle, but everything else is still around QL5.

There's not a good reason to overgear unless you're trying to break the game. If you're still in QL5s then you're probably, what, still in Solomon Island? Just do the dungeons as you get to them.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

They fixed the raid mission! And because Funcom, you can now get your first time criterion again :toot:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Zephonith posted:

They fixed the raid mission! And because Funcom, you can now get your first time criterion again :toot:

And then have the pubbie raid leader master loot everything "by accident."

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Cheston posted:

pubbie raid leader

I find the root of your problem.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Any chance anyone has a trial key? This game seems pretty interesting, and I'd like to try it out.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Brain In A Jar posted:

I like going fast.
Going fast is good. Sprint upgrades are good. Sprint IV is somewhere between Faction Rank 10 and 13, because my alt is at rank 9 and he is still going way too slowly.

(hi)

Devorum posted:

Any chance anyone has a trial key? This game seems pretty interesting, and I'd like to try it out.
2YBD2XGMNDCN2DN2K25S - this should still be valid

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
PH82MNLB2ZECU9S2DPK7

^^^^^^^

damnitttttttttttttttttttt

And here's another one for anyone who wants it:

LNLM8AHLZKLANF7NVUXC Taken!

PH82MNLB2ZECU9S2DPK7 Taken!

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 13, 2013

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Zephonith posted:

Going fast is good. Sprint upgrades are good. Sprint IV is somewhere between Faction Rank 10 and 13, because my alt is at rank 9 and he is still going way too slowly.

(hi)

2YBD2XGMNDCN2DN2K25S - this should still be valid

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I can't find a link for the game client to actually play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Devorum posted:

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I can't find a link for the game client to actually play it.
https://register.thesecretworld.com/ then make an account. There's a little bit in the left hand side to put in your key, and it also should give you a link to download the client.

• Locked thread