Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

It was a real bad game and somehow got a sequel out in the DC's 16 month lifespan. Randomized dungeons with no flavor, no solid incentive structures, and non-existent plot. I really, really just wanted some JRPGs on the DC but lord that was not it.

I know. :smith: Then you also have the "port" of it and its sequel to the Gamecube that garbled the already shallow level curve and cut the actual content level even further. They're all thoroughly unremarkable games, but I did enjoy just zooming around everything with Chain :rock: Gun's jet bike thing. Field abilities in games are a cool thing and I wish they'd been more common. At least The Best Dreamcast RPG got treated right when it ended up on the 'cube, though.

Actually now that I think about it, Evolution also featured obnoxious invisible floor traps that only serve to annoy the player rather than actually enrich the dungeon-crawling experience, a la FFXII. Though I've no idea if that kind of thing has shown up in other RPGs.

Looper fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I've been playing that Brave New World hack of FFVI, and I gotta say this is top quality. The gameplay is fresh and challenging without being ridiculously difficult and requiring you to have encyclopedic knowledge of the game's mechanics beforehand.

I've just collected my final party member in the World of Ruin, and I've found every party member not only viable, but useful; characters are limited in what espers they can equip, and as a result have wildly different spell availability and stress their other abilities to a much higher degree; Sabin, for instance, can only equip two espers, and both only give a handful of support spells, but his blitzes have a lot more utility and status effects attached to them, and Edgar has Cure 2 and Remedy and also a handful of support spells, but he has his tools and he's one of two characters that can equip spears, and also the Dragoon Seal, which increases his damage by a hell of a lot. Every character has similar limitations and subsequent tweaks to their skills. The most awesome change is Relm: she's the only character that can equip Bahamut, and as a result learn Flare and Meteo :stare: Add to that her absurdly high MAG stat, and she's the very definition of a glass cannon.

Other things like the removal of the Genji Glove, the Gauntlet, almost every relic having a lot of stat boosts attached to them, changes character dynamics up, too. Many characters have a limited form of dual-wielding; Locke, Shadow and Setzer can as long generally the off-hand weapon is a dagger, Sabin can dual-wield claws, while things like katanas and spears are inherently two-handed weapons.

As for the script changes, a majority of them are fantastic. Everyone tosses out the odd curseword, but the only character it feels a little out of place with is Kefka; it seems to me he'd be above petty curses, and would hurl much more creative insults. Relm's pottymouth is strangely well-done, as the characters' original reactions felt a little strong for what amounted to a child's tantrum. When you talk to Relm on the airship to change your party, she says "Come on, let's go murder that fucker!"

I think I'm gonna stick to Brave New World on subsequent playthroughs, I'm really enjoying it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

As for the script changes, a majority of them are fantastic. Everyone tosses out the odd curseword, but the only character it feels a little out of place with is Kefka; it seems to me he'd be above petty curses, and would hurl much more creative insults. Relm's pottymouth is strangely well-done, as the characters' original reactions felt a little strong for what amounted to a child's tantrum. When you talk to Relm on the airship to change your party, she says "Come on, let's go murder that fucker!"

Man, I was interested until this, but this sounds just awful. Maybe if someone hacks it to remove that stuff, but I really don't want to play a FF6 that does the "they use strong language in Japanese = they curse all the time in English" thing.

The rest of the changes sound pretty cool though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I was interested until this, but this sounds just awful. Maybe if someone hacks it to remove that stuff, but I really don't want to play a FF6 that does the "they use strong language in Japanese = they curse all the time in English" thing.

The rest of the changes sound pretty cool though.

It really isn't that much, save for Kefka and Relm. I got used to it, I guess, right around the first trip to Vector, and the ones that are there feel pretty appropriate for the situation. The rest of the script changes are very, VERY good; when you (re)acquire Mog in the World of Ruin, he tells you exactly where to get Umaro, and ends his spiel with "I am not very good at subtlety."

Even the references are pretty creatively done in their placement (like Setzer yelling at Cid when he's repairing the airship, he says "Shut up and drink your goddamned tea!" :v: ). There's a lot of neat little scripting changes, too, at certain parts (the Floating Continent has a pretty awesome scene that I won't spoil); in Cyan's dream when you fight the Dream Stooges, they keep beating the poo poo out of each other, and the end of the fight has the three of them retreat, replaced by a little gremlin... named Shemp.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Coughing Hobo posted:

It really isn't that much, save for Kefka and Relm. I got used to it, I guess, right around the first trip to Vector, and the ones that are there feel pretty appropriate for the situation. The rest of the script changes are very, VERY good; when you (re)acquire Mog in the World of Ruin, he tells you exactly where to get Umaro, and ends his spiel with "I am not very good at subtlety."

Even the references are pretty creatively done in their placement (like Setzer yelling at Cid when he's repairing the airship, he says "Shut up and drink your goddamned tea!" :v: ). There's a lot of neat little scripting changes, too, at certain parts (the Floating Continent has a pretty awesome scene that I won't spoil); in Cyan's dream when you fight the Dream Stooges, they keep beating the poo poo out of each other, and the end of the fight has the three of them retreat, replaced by a little gremlin... named Shemp.

Sounds like a thirteen year old's first attempted rom hack.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah that all sounds really horrible. At least the original FFVI is quaint with its odd word choice in places and not desperately trying to make an R-rated game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Okay then grandpas, you should try it out for yourselves because it's really fun, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Okay then grandpas, you should try it out for yourselves because it's really fun, though.

You kids need to get off my lawn. Back in my day we couldn't even use HOLY. It was Pearl all the way. Don't even get me started on the all this alcohol in games. Soda was good enough for me and it should be good enough for everyone. :colbert:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah that all sounds really horrible. At least the original FFVI is quaint with its odd word choice in places and not desperately trying to make an R-rated game.

Why do people latch onto this stuff, when the meat of the romhack is the altered abilities and equipment?

"Keep your hands off my FFVI", I guess.

Seriously, it's fun. Try it out before dismissing it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

PhilippAchtel posted:

Why do people latch onto this stuff, when the meat of the romhack is the altered abilities and equipment?

No pleasing everyone. Even if they kept the original translation, it would then be "why can't I make Sabin a dual-Ultima wielding Suplex machine?" Some people refuse to accept change, plain and simple. These are the people who cry blasphemy when the OST is remixed or other things come to ruin their memories.

FFVI is my favorite game of all time, and I intend on downloading this hack before I leave on a weekend getaway so I can see how it works for myself. I'm at least interested in the new mechanics.

EDIT: VVV DIA, motherfuckers. :colbert: VVV

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 6, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

You kids need to get off my lawn. Back in my day we couldn't even use HOLY. It was Pearl all the way. Don't even get me started on the all this alcohol in games. Soda was good enough for me and it should be good enough for everyone. :colbert:

Oh, "Pearl!" Well la-di-da Mr. New-Age. In my day it was "White" and we thought it was great!

*Waits for someone to come along and claim FADE is the only true spell*

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Awful Fantasy 3 is the only rom hack for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0TsArnMKNo

There was so much random crap and epic one liners that went into that game. Now if I could just find a version that didn't crash every time I get to the fanatics tower.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh, "Pearl!" Well la-di-da Mr. New-Age. In my day it was "White" and we thought it was great!

*Waits for someone to come along and claim FADE is the only true spell*

FADE blows, DIA ain't poo poo, XXXX is where it's at :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Someone should combine FF6 with Treasure of the Rudras' spell naming system.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Seemenaked posted:

Awful Fantasy 3 is the only rom hack for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0TsArnMKNo

There was so much random crap and epic one liners that went into that game. Now if I could just find a version that didn't crash every time I get to the fanatics tower.

Is Awful Fantasy 3 any good to people that weren't paying attention to forum drama in the early 00's? I've had it forever but never fired it up because I figured it was 80% in-jokes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ShadowedFlames posted:

No pleasing everyone. Even if they kept the original translation, it would then be "why can't I make Sabin a dual-Ultima wielding Suplex machine?" Some people refuse to accept change, plain and simple. These are the people who cry blasphemy when the OST is remixed or other things come to ruin their memories.

I don't really even like FFVI enough to play through it again, I just think dialogue like that in a kid's game sounds really offputting to me. It would be like replaying Ducktales except now Scrooge McDuck interjects with "I'm gonna get that fucker who stole me diamonds." I imagine most of us here were probably 8-12 the first time we loaded up FFVI and while there were some serious parts, none of it really warranted the GTA dialogue treatment. Much of it is rather silly and humorous.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah, I'm not opposed to strong language in games, but I think it needs to either match the tone of the game or be a deliberately jarring juxtaposition with some kind of effect in mind. FFVI fits neither of those criteria, and so adding adult language to the game just comes off as kind of pathetic.

The rest of the hack is pretty cool from what I remember, though I think it tries too hard to be realistic (unless I'm thinking of a different one, you can't steal from non-humans because "it doesn't make sense", and such, which is just supremely retarded in a game where you can suplex a locomotive, but eh) but the cursing just comes across as eye-rollingly juvenile.

It's worth a play-through just to see how they balanced all the characters so that they have more defined / unique / useful roles, though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That's one thing that does bother me, considering they changed up Suplex so that it works on everything. Demonic spirit haunting a painting on a wall? Suplex it. Giant cranes attacking your airship? Suplex it.

Tentacles very clearly attached to the engine of Figaro Castle? Suplex it. :unsmigghh:

But a bear holding a tonic? Don't be ridiculous.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Tentacles very clearly attached to the engine of Figaro Castle? Suplex it. :unsmigghh:

Can we have a gif of this and of Sabin suplexing Kefka's second-to-last form?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Someone should combine FF6 with Treasure of the Rudras' spell naming system.

If the (deserved) reaction to lovely internet localizers shoving gratuitous swearing into FF6's script is any indication, how do you think they'll react to being able to make Cyan cast HORSEFUCKER and MANGINA over and over?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There is only two things that are acceptable to change when you hack FFVI, and they are:

1. The Beginner's Hall. Do whatever you want there. It's where romhackers put their inside jokes.

2. Setzer's line about the Empire making him a rich man. It was apparently a mistranslation and it makes no sense.

NO OTHER CHANGES ALLOWED. :colbert:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Man, Awful Fantasy is right above you. That's the best reason to change the script when Romhacking.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You laughed at that gypsy who made us all allergic to Kool-Aid. Now everybody's loving DEAD.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I took a screenshot or two when trying out the mod awhile ago. I don't recall the swearing being that common.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ragequit posted:

I took a screenshot or two when trying out the mod awhile ago. I don't recall the swearing being that common.

This is Unacceptable.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
The developers have said they might release a clean version of the script at some point. I'm not so averse to the swearing that I'm not willing to try the hack but I've got a lot of games on my plate at the moment, so I'll wait to see if it happens.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ahaha, I just got the Cursed Shield, and this is its description:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanpachi posted:

The developers have said they might release a clean version of the script at some point. I'm not so averse to the swearing that I'm not willing to try the hack but I've got a lot of games on my plate at the moment, so I'll wait to see if it happens.

I don't mind cursing but going 'we're making it more accurate to the Japanese script (by adding a lot of cursing)' is one of my serious pet peeves. It's stuff that awful anime fansubs did in the 90s when they were desperately trying to make themselves believe Dragonball Z was a serious and mature series for adults.

Looking at the Readme file for the hack, it's clear that is just how the guy 'talks' and he has no editor to point out that isn't really a good way to handle tone in Japanese translation.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 7, 2013

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Hey yeah that's great Dadaluma just hurl instant-kill knives everywhere, regen half the damage I deal and be god damned untargetable for a full third of the battle, that's totally cool and not at all the most infuriating thing ever.

:argh:

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Level Slide posted:

I think we can all agree that the FFXIII games so far are collectively a goddamn (literal) trainwreck (literal).

still gonna get lightning returns :unsmigghh:

Game aside Lightning is great as a character because it tells you so much about how Star Power is handled by those kinds of companies. They hit a goldmine and still IMHO aren't sure how it happened, but the know she was the most popular thing in the game and thru Japanese Business Logic are heavily pushing her foremost (which might work fine if she was in some other medium besides a tedious multihour game). There's also a hilarious tug-of-war between her designer revealing himself to be a creepo and the character preceived to be moneymaking/appealing because she's 'serious' (there is some legit Japanese Idol logic going on here) and thus needing to keep a dignity in the presentation, which is why the catgirl outfit was seen as funny by the fanbase but not Toriyama's recent interview joking about boob physics. I mean there's a reason one of the outfits you can buy is apparently a butler suit and not a maid one, while Serah could wear a fashionable beach swimsuit in *her* game. :v:

keet fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 7, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

penguinmambo posted:

Game aside Lightning is great as a character because it tells you so much about how Star Power is handled by those kinds of companies. They hit a goldmine and still IMHO aren't sure how it happened, but the know she was the most popular thing in the game and thru Japanese Business Logic are heavily pushing her foremost (which might work fine if she was in some other medium besides a tedious multihour game). There's also a hilarious tug-of-war between her designer revealing himself to be a creepo and the character preceived to be moneymaking/appealing because she's 'serious' (there is some legit Japanese Idol logic going on here) and thus needing to keep a dignity in the presentation, which is why the catgirl outfit was seen as funny by the fanbase but not Toriyama's recent interview joking about boob physics. I mean there's a reason one of the outfits you can buy is apparently a butler suit and not a maid one, while Serah could wear a fashionable beach swimsuit in *her* game. :v:

The Lightning Hype Machine must have been working doublt time here in the States when they put her on the cover of XIII-2.
Haven't played the game and I guess she become some goddess in it or something but all I've heard about the game is that it was Serah and Noel's Wacky Travels Through Time. Sp why the hell is Lightning the most prominent figure on the US game cose?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For the same reason that Knights of the Old Republic 2 is called 'the sith lords' despite barely having anything to do with the Sith. Marketing is as marketing does.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endorph posted:

For the same reason that Knights of the Old Republic 2 is called 'the sith lords' despite barely having anything to do with the Sith. Marketing is as marketing does.

When you consider that Kreia is one of said Sith Lords basically everything in KotOR2 stems from Sith Lords...?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

When you consider that Kreia is one of said Sith Lords basically everything in KotOR2 stems from Sith Lords...?
Honestly though the game's barely even about what's going on in the present. It's more about the Exile's backstory than anything.

Either way, point stands in general.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

ImpAtom posted:

I don't mind cursing but going 'we're making it more accurate to the Japanese script (by adding a lot of cursing)' is one of my serious pet peeves. It's stuff that awful anime fansubs did in the 90s when they were desperately trying to make themselves believe Dragonball Z was a serious and mature series for adults.

Looking at the Readme file for the hack, it's clear that is just how the guy 'talks' and he has no editor to point out that isn't really a good way to handle tone in Japanese translation.

I'm with you. But man, I've been eager enough for someone to grease FF6's wheels that I might be willing to overlook it. I probably have the original script memorized anyway.

If it's about as tough as FF4DS was without grinding, I'll be over the moon.

e: Active / Battle Speed 1 for life :getin:

krystal.lynn fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 7, 2013

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Even the references are pretty creatively done in their placement (like Setzer yelling at Cid when he's repairing the airship, he says "Shut up and drink your goddamned tea!" :v: ).

Really?

I mean no offense, but that sounds exactly the kind of annoying nerdy reference-humor that would ruin a translation even without the anime-sub swearing.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kanpachi posted:

I'm with you. But man, I've been eager enough for someone to grease FF6's wheels that I might be willing to overlook it. I probably have the original script memorized anyway.

If it's about as tough as FF4DS was without grinding, I'll be over the moon.

e: Active / Battle Speed 1 for life :getin:

The mod strongly recommends you play on Wait mode because of all the new mechanics, but good luck, brother!

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

PhilippAchtel posted:

The mod strongly recommends you play on Wait mode because of all the new mechanics, but good luck, brother!

Challenge accepted.

e: don't attack the shell, indeed

krystal.lynn fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 7, 2013

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

BioMe posted:

Really?

I mean no offense, but that sounds exactly the kind of annoying nerdy reference-humor that would ruin a translation even without the anime-sub swearing.

He even throws in an All Your Base joke so yeah any part of the script you can just assume is varying degrees of dumb as hell in this patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I know it's not talked about a lot in this thread, but the new Monstrosity (Play-as-a-Monster) system in FFXI is pretty much the best thing ever. I am a magical, magical sheep. Previous monikers have included Mr. Sad Mandragora, Strange Capricious Sabotender and Absolute Rabbit.

Also the sheep has a move called "Lamb Chop".