Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

TheMostFrench posted:

This is very good, thanks!

The album is pretty cool too in that it was created entirely by using samples from other songs. Another good track off the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32X-ieCav-M

Endtroducing and the first Dr. Octagon album were pretty much on repeat every day for me when they came out in '96.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Hey so it turns out I like pretty goofy metal? Pretty much me three favorite metal albums at this point are Slough Feg's "Traveller", Brendon Small's "Brendon Small's Galaktikon", and Devin Townsend's "Ziltoid the Omniscient".

Anything else along these lines I should know about?

Wormed are a ridiculously cheesy tech death band with lyrics about random sci-fi stuff. Gigan are similarly goofy tech-death.

Actually, tech death and power metal are goofy genres in general - I always giggle at Nile and Necrophagist track names, and stuff like Blind Guardian and Gamma Ray is fun and silly as hell.

TheMostFrench posted:

So I got an email from a band called Atoms for Peace talking about their new tours, I never signed up for the newsletter but I checked out their stuff and I thought it was decent, so bought their album. A friend of mine said it was kind of like Radiohead? I've never really listened to Radiohead..

Atoms for Peace is strongly influenced by turn-of-the-century IDM, so you might like LP5 by Autechre or the Richard D James album by Aphex Twin. The Radiohead albums most similar to it are Amnesiac and The King of Limbs, probably.

enterdeathE posted:

Hey guys, I've been in search of some new music lately and I can't find anything and I don't like the suggestions i get from friends, but I've been looking for a Rock/Hard Rock artist, like System of A Down, or more of a indie rock artist like Cage the Elephant or Modest Mouse. Can someone find me something? Anything? I really need to expand my library.

Porcupine Tree are a guilty pleasure for me but In Absentia and In Fear of a Blank Planet are good and you might like them. Maybe you'd also like Wild Nothing, Deerhunter or Grizzly Bear.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 5, 2013

enterdeathE
Oct 19, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

Porcupine Tree are a guilty pleasure for me but In Absentia and In Fear of a Blank Planet are good and you might like them. Maybe you'd also like Wild Nothing, Deerhunter or Grizzly Bear.

Thanks for the suggestion Gamma Nerd but the music just isn't for me. I know i suggested indie music but I'm really looking for more of a rock band like System of A Down. I know I'm a picky about my music so don't worry about it. Keep sending bands my way, we'll find something eventually.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

enterdeathE posted:

Thanks for the suggestion Gamma Nerd but the music just isn't for me. I know i suggested indie music but I'm really looking for more of a rock band like System of A Down. I know I'm a picky about my music so don't worry about it. Keep sending bands my way, we'll find something eventually.

I think you would like TooL have you listened to them?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

enterdeathE posted:

I mean, yeah, indie rock and alt-metal aren't really genres I know much about or have much interest in, but that's what you asked for. And if you just want more stuff like SOAD you could have said so and not given me the false impression that you were trying to be adventurous.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 7, 2013

enterdeathE
Oct 19, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I think you would like TooL have you listened to them?

Thanks for the Tool recommendation, I've gotten that from a couple other people and didn't really like it but I think it's starting to grow on me, I'll listen to more of their stuff.

Gamma Nerd posted:

I mean, yeah, indie rock and alt-metal aren't really genres I know much about or have much interest in, but that's what you asked for. And if you just want more stuff like SOAD you could have said so and not given me the false impression that you were trying to be adventurous.

I never said I was trying to be adventurous, I like this style of music and was looking for more artist similar to people that I already like, sorry for the confusion, I guess.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Go wild. But don't limit yourself to one genre or stuff similar to one artist. It's always good to be open-minded.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Looking for something like this, dance music with more instrumental stuff. Guitars, piano, maybe traditional instruments with dance? Basically like this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcrbM1l_BoI
Avicii-Wake Me Up.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Venetian Snares has a breakcore album with lots of baroque and chamber music samples called Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett. It's pretty good. Igorrr does the same thing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2DyXA0Rok

This is the most loving metal thing I've ever heard.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gatts posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2DyXA0Rok

This is the most loving metal thing I've ever heard.
Who's this in reply to?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

het posted:

Who's this in reply to?

Ah gently caress. I'm sorry, I didn't read all the way through your OP about needing to be a response to someone. I'll accept the punishment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
On the bright side, this guy from the previous page might like it:

Kaubocks posted:

Hey so it turns out I like pretty goofy metal? Pretty much me three favorite metal albums at this point are Slough Feg's "Traveller", Brendon Small's "Brendon Small's Galaktikon", and Devin Townsend's "Ziltoid the Omniscient".

Anything else along these lines I should know about?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for more country-ish stuff like this:

Supersuckers: Road Worn & Weary

Ween: Help me Scrape the Mucous off my Brain - specifically the live versions with the poo poo Creek boys but Youtube doesn't have those versions.

I am familiar with the standard outlaw stuff - Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson, Coe and so on. Drive By Truckers almost scratches the itch but they're a little too southern-fried rock & roll to be what I'm looking for. Merle Haggard probably comes the closest. It doesn't have to be classic country or anything.

I'm basically looking for songs which capture that 'Sunday morning hangover' feeling . Maybe I've emptied the well - I don't know.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for more country-ish stuff like this:

Supersuckers: Road Worn & Weary

Ween: Help me Scrape the Mucous off my Brain - specifically the live versions with the poo poo Creek boys but Youtube doesn't have those versions.

I am familiar with the standard outlaw stuff - Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson, Coe and so on. Drive By Truckers almost scratches the itch but they're a little too southern-fried rock & roll to be what I'm looking for. Merle Haggard probably comes the closest. It doesn't have to be classic country or anything.

I'm basically looking for songs which capture that 'Sunday morning hangover' feeling . Maybe I've emptied the well - I don't know.

Have you listened to New Riders of the Purple Sage? I might also recommend some Commander Cody and the Lost PLanet Airmen.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

Have you listened to New Riders of the Purple Sage? I might also recommend some Commander Cody and the Lost PLanet Airmen.

Thank you - I'm vaguely familiar with both acts but hadn't thought about them in a long time. Refreshing my memory and losing it at the same time with some whiskey on the rocks. The Riders stuff is great. Cody gets a little too rockabilly sometimes but his country tunes hit the right mark.

I should also say I'm familiar with the well-known hippie-country of the Byrds and Burritos and Parsons.

I think that's what I'm after though - hippy country stuff (someone on Youtube called it ganjatonk, which is fitting). If anyone knows a good Grateful Dead live era (or solo Jerry) where they hit that sound I'd be thankful.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 10, 2013

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Check out "Garcia" it's a solo Jerry Garcia album from 71 or 72, it might be exactly what you're after. It's my favorite album of all time.

Loser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCxNVYF_7hA

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I was watching this british TV show, Inspector Lewis, and there's a scene where one character is playing in a jazz madrigal band.

It was the first time I ever encountered this kind of music, and I wanted to know if someone could recommend good jazz madrigal groups/tracks?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

Check out "Garcia" it's a solo Jerry Garcia album from 71 or 72, it might be exactly what you're after. It's my favorite album of all time.

Loser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCxNVYF_7hA

This is great, thanks.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So what specific genre is Netsky's We Can Only Live Today? My friends say Nu Disco and linked me to Televisor and Get Lucky but I can't hear a resemblance. ANything similar to it too?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Alright, this might be a bit of a long shot, but I just came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boR6xH-A_s0

Yup, Jeremy Soule's arrangement of Terra's Theme from Final Fantasy VI. It's goddamned awesome.

I also just discovered the massive OCRemix compilation where they've just taken the full soundtrack and gone absolutely hogwild with it. It's an amazing collection of work and a drat good listen, but for the purposes of this post it's way too eclectic and all over the place.

So, let's get to my point:
Does anyone know of any compilations of, basically, more of the same as that video above? That is, actual orchestrated arrangements of Final Fantasy VI music? I know and have heard Grand Finale, and a few individual tracks from various sources, but I want more. If not orchestrated, then at least fairly conventional and faithful to the original material.

Also, and this is important: :siren:I do not give a flying rat's rear end about any of the other Final Fantasy games (nor other JRPGs) nor their music.:siren: I really, seriously do not. Final Fantasy VI just happens to have a special place in my heart and I love the soundtrack dearly. So if anyone can point me towards something that fits the described bill, I will love you forever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've been listening to a lot of Rome lately. I really like the whole melancholy martial folk thing, but the problem is almost everyone else that makes music like that is a nazi. And I don't like nazis. Does anyone have recommendations for that martial industrial neo-folk type stuff that isn't made by racists?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Rome lately. I really like the whole melancholy martial folk thing, but the problem is almost everyone else that makes music like that is a nazi. And I don't like nazis. Does anyone have recommendations for that martial industrial neo-folk type stuff that isn't made by racists?

Well that is rather a tough question. Obviously there are artists like Der Blutharsch who claim not to be fascists or racists but who still use rather Nazi-ish imagery and it's not exactly easy to sort all that out.

You might try Ancient VVisdom, a band out of Austin - they are not really neo-folk, but share many aesthetic elements of the genre and I think would appeal to the same audience. They sing about the cycle of life and death, no nationalism or race or runic mysticism. And they are very good.

There's also the less martial side of neoclassical which sometimes involves elements of neofolk. Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Ordo Equitum Solis, some Dead Can Dance tracks, etc. I've not seen any Nazi imagery or racism associated with this area of things. In fact Sam Rosenthal who founded Projekt, a record label with a lot of good neoclassical and darkwave stuff, is Jewish so I kind of doubt he'd allow Nazi's on the label.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

I'm thinking of Menace Ruine's album The Die is Cast, it has elements from martial folk with some black metal thrown in (with no blast beats or growling or anything though). It's pretty epic and melancholic and you might enjoy it. They're definitely not racists or anything.

Although I would argue that neither is Doug P of Death in June :]

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't think Douglas P is really a Nazi either, but I think it's understandable that people are put off by his constant use of Nazi related symbolism and incorporating actual Nazi music into his work.

Personally I still listen to DiJ and even enjoy stuff like Seelenlicht even though Troy Southgate is definitely a racist poo poo.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 16, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's this cool online radio station called Rat Patrol Radio. It has a bunch of music that played on American radios during World War 2 with a smattering of propaganda and PSA's thrown in for good measure. Is there anything like that for the USSR? Whenever I try to find old music from that part of the world all I get is Red Army Choir stuff.

e:Oh hey, might have found something from this seedy as hell looking url. Works for me! http://101ruussr.rad.io/

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 17, 2013

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Earwicker posted:

I don't think Douglas P is really a Nazi either, but I think it's understandable that people are put off by his constant use of Nazi related symbolism and incorporating actual Nazi music into his work.

Personally I still listen to DiJ and even enjoy stuff like Seelenlicht even though Troy Southgate is definitely a racist poo poo.

Yeah, I don't really mind the use of nazi imagery, and I know he's too busy sucking dicks to be a nazi, but it's just he's an exception there. Doug P may or may not be some sort of cryptofascist, but most people who make music like him skip the crypto, or just go straight into the whole "I'm not saying we should kill jews, but I'm not saying we shouldn't either" spiel.

I can enjoy music from terrible people (Burzum, Kroda), but I also like to find bands that I don't have to avoid financially supporting in any way.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I like Annie's first album (2004's Anniemal) and her recent release, The A&R EP, co-produced and -written with Richard X a lot. I love how complex the music and vocal arrangements are yet it doesn't sound overly busy or any less absurdly melodic -- that's good arranging, I reckon! What other good club-ready underground synthpop should I check out?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Can anyone recommend me songs similar to Brother to Brother by Gino Vannelli?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVm6hL0cynA

Basically something fast paced and fusiony and late 70's-80's tinged with excellent musicianship, can be either instrumental or with vocals.

I've tried listening to some of his other tracks, but most of them were way more mellow and laid back, definitely not as energetic as this track.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 22, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nujabes is blowing my mind, looking for anything similar. Jazzy hip-hop I guess. Only other things I've checked out are Tribe Called Quest, J Dilla, DJ Krush.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Digable Planets.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Nujabes is blowing my mind, looking for anything similar. Jazzy hip-hop I guess. Only other things I've checked out are Tribe Called Quest, J Dilla, DJ Krush.

DJ Okawari is definitely who I'd suggest to Nujabes fans.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wow that's pretty good, thanks!

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010

actionjackson posted:

If you haven't heard him, Madlib is absolutely essential for jazzy hip-hop production. His album Shades Of Blue consists of him mixing and mashing original old jazz recordings at blue note records. He's also done notable collaborations with Dilla and M.F. Doom.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

actionjackson posted:

Onra may be of interest as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxM_sgMM2rQ

Chinoiseries is a great record.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cool, thanks. I'm coming from an electronic music background, lot of deepish stuff so anything mostly instrumental or jazzy is cool with me.

With Nujabes, I heard luv(sic) part 3 and I was just blown away. Also "think different" off modal soul, the background instrumentals are amazing

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm coming from an electronic music background, lot of deepish stuff so anything mostly instrumental or jazzy is cool with me.

With Nujabes, I heard luv(sic) part 3 and I was just blown away. Also "think different" off modal soul, the background instrumentals are amazing

I really hope you've heard Flying Lotus, specifically his last two albums.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yes I'm familiar with him, probably like Los Angeles the best. I do wish the tracks were a little longer though.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I got a cheap ticket to the End of the Road festival & have no clue who 90% of the artists are - I've tried YouTubing most but I just have this feeling I'm going to miss someone great & I thought this thread would be the perfect opportunity for some cheerleading for the alt/country/indie bands going around.

There's a lot of American bands that sound like Radiohead and/or Will Oldham, which I sorta dig but Bo Ningen has been the best I've discovered just YouTubing. Halp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

BisonDollah posted:

I got a cheap ticket to the End of the Road festival & have no clue who 90% of the artists are - I've tried YouTubing most but I just have this feeling I'm going to miss someone great & I thought this thread would be the perfect opportunity for some cheerleading for the alt/country/indie bands going around.

There's a lot of American bands that sound like Radiohead and/or Will Oldham, which I sorta dig but Bo Ningen has been the best I've discovered just YouTubing. Halp!

I'm sure my tastes differ from yours, but of that list I'd certainly recommend Sigur Ros, Warpaint, Savages, and you already mentioned Bo Ningen.