Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

dilbertschalter posted:

+1 favorability doesn't seem that impressive to me (granted most people don't have an opinion either way), to win in Georgia a Democrat should be quite popular statewide.

Early polls are heat checks on the incumbent or incumbent party. Which is why Mitch McConnell needs to look out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kim Jong Il posted:

There's no way NJ Democrats would ever allow a progressive and/or someone they had deep ties with into office, especially if they weren't popular like Booker. Pallone I could see maybe.

Yeah, Sheila Oliver sure is a pathetic embarrassment.

It's not even about the state Dems blackballing him, they're not, because they don't even need to. It's that Holt is not really trying at all. He has a really light campaign schedule, no aggressive moves or ads, and the theme of his campaign has been "Cory Booker is a pretty cool dude. I think I'd be a little bit better, but I understand if you don't want to vote for me. I voted for the Patriot act and I'm real sorry about that, but I want to strongly amend and repeal parts of it now. You guys hear about this twitter thing? I'm not so good at it, but Cory sure is! He's pretty cool."

I'd much prefer Holt over any of the other candidates, but he is giving no indication that he is even trying or really cares.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 7, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I gotta say,

Weiner must have been the all-time champ at the junior high "you flinched" game.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not even about the state Dems blackballing him, they're not, because they don't even need to. It's that Holt is not really trying at all. He has a really light campaign schedule, no aggressive moves or ads, and the theme of his campaign has been "Cory Booker is a pretty cool dude. I think I'd be a little bit better, but I understand if you don't want to vote for me. I voted for the Patriot act and I'm real sorry about that, but I want to strongly amend and repeal parts of it now. You guys hear about this twitter thing? I'm not so good at it, but Cory sure is! He's pretty cool."

I'd much prefer Holt over any of the other candidates, but he is giving no indication that he is even trying or really cares.

I received my sample ballot. Pallone and Holt's constituencies are partly in Middlesex County, yet the (powerful) county organization endorsed Booker. Sad but not surprised.

I wish Holt would more aggressively say "I voted for the Patriot Act when it was still pitched as a temporary measure. I now want to repeal it in its entirety. Booker wasn't in Congress for the first vote. Booker now doesn't want to repeal it. I was endorsed by Glenn Greenwald of all people. GLENN loving GREENWALD. And do you really think Booker's a DC outsider? That's hilarious. He has the biggest national organization out of all us. One thing's going happen once he goes to Washington; He'll get really comfortable and suck up to every special interest. And you still mad at Wall Street? Wasn't Booker the one Democrat who defended Bain Capital last election? You probably forgot. But if you like Twitter; go ahead. Vote Booker. Let him go to Washington, fail at running for president, and stay entrenched in that precious senate seat for 12 or 18 or 24 years. Oh yeah, I've been sounding the Global Warming alarm well before Al Gore made a movie. gently caress you."

That's not going to happen.

The sad thing is I wouldn't mind that much if Booker ran for governor, because he was the one guy who could have beat Chris Christie. But I don't see Booker doing anything great in the U.S. Senate.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

SedanChair posted:

Weiner must have been the all-time champ at the junior high "you flinched" game.

Weiner is such an oddity. He used to do some awesome poo poo in Congress, but voted very erratically. No wonder he sends his dick around, he has balls of steel.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Beamed posted:

Weiner is such an oddity. He used to do some awesome poo poo in Congress, but voted very erratically. No wonder he sends his dick around, he has balls of steel.

If you look up the poo poo that went down in his first Congressional campaign, it turns out that he was really always an intolerable piece of poo poo.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Weiner sniffed the vacuum in the healthcare debate and did a service there by accident, but he was basically grandstanding.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/nyregion/weiners-record-in-house-intensity-publicity-and-limited-results.html?pagewanted=all

Weiner doesn't play well with others and has been so consistently bad with his staff that reporters can confidently "go there" (which means he's in like Michelle Bachmann territory). He might have been an okay mayor, I don't know, but he's a total dick and I'm glad he won't get the chance.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

The race is unwinnable. http://www.northjersey.com/news/politics/Poll_Booker_far_ahead_in_race_for_NJ_senate_seat.html

quote:

Booker leads his rivals with 54 percent of 388 likely Democratic voters supporting his candidacy, compared to U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone, who has 17 percent support, according to the poll. U.S. Rep. Rush Holt closely follows with 15 percent and 5 percent for State Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver, the poll states.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I know, but Holt is not even trying. The primary is supposed to be when your party and your base has a debate and holds candidates to account. Holt is the one in the best position to force that debate and instead he just occasionally makes jokes about twitter, says that he and Cory Booker are pretty much the same, and apologizes for voting for the Patriot act.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

I know, but Holt is not even trying. The primary is supposed to be when your party and your base has a debate and holds candidates to account. Holt is the one in the best position to force that debate and instead he just occasionally makes jokes about twitter, says that he and Cory Booker are pretty much the same, and apologizes for voting for the Patriot act.

That's because on 99 percent of the issues, Holt and Booker are the same. If Holt ran a nuclear negative lefty campaign on Booker, he'd piss off a ton of people, and for what? The percentage of primary voters he'd score points with is minuscule and they're almost all with Holt already. It would make the very small weird anti-Booker contingent feel better, but most of them aren't even in the state anyways, and most of the ones in the state aren't people you want on your side to begin with.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paul MaudDib posted:

She's also really, really into world dominance apparently. :stare:

See, even Republicans aren't all bad.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I understand why he doesn't want to sink time and money into a campaign he knows he has no chances of winning. That being said, why bother running at all?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Akileese posted:

I understand why he doesn't want to sink time and money into a campaign he knows he has no chances of winning. That being said, why bother running at all?

Raise name ID, favorables, and a fundraising/activist base around the state for a future statewide run, though I think KJI is mostly right that any future statewide campaign will be nearly as uphill a climb.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Akileese posted:

That being said, why bother running at all?

It helps to raise his profile for future runs, especially if he can beat Pallone and squeak into second place. It also makes sure that the issues he cares about are talked about in the election, forcing Booker to go on the record.

And since he's going to lose to Booker anyway, and since Booker is going to win in the general, it's not a bad idea to be on the good side of a future Senator from your state who might come and help stump for you in those future races.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Corek posted:

Anthony Weiner called Republican challenger George McDonald "Grandpa" today. At an AARP event. Gif in link:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/anthony-weiner-grandpa-george-mcdonald-gif.html

It takes a special kind of detached arrogance to keep running for office after loving up this much.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

It takes a special kind of detached arrogance to keep running for office after loving up this much.

I hope he stays in the race right up until he loses just for the comedy he/his campaign continues to create.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

The Times has, a bit surprisingly given their ongoing feud, endorsed Booker.
Well, editorially, at least.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, hey, Raymond Hernandez again. Shocker.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The article is all-around hilarious, by the way. It's a perfect article on how mental affluent people in tech are. My favourite quote is this:

NYT article posted:

Ms. Ross suggested in an interview that she saw in Mr. Booker a kindred social media spirit. She said she has wondered how the civil rights movement might have been different had the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had access to Twitter. “Social media is a movement,” she said, “and Cory Booker is a leader in this movement.”

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

ufarn posted:

The article is all-around hilarious, by the way. It's a perfect article on how mental affluent people in tech are. My favourite quote is this:

@ModerateWhites u r responsible 2 #Birminghamjail

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

For some added context: non-statewide or federal elected positions in New Jersey are technically part-time (though many are paid as if and are functionally full-time), so almost everyone has a side job, which of course creates massive pay-to-play problems. Far too many of those side jobs are obvious pay-to-play sinecures, either making big cash as non-practicing "lawyers" (read: lobbyists) or in government administration positions (Sheila Oliver's "day job," for example, is as the assistant county administrator for Essex County).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

XyloJW posted:

@ModerateWhites u r responsible 2 #Birminghamjail

I may not get there w/u but I've seen the promised land #yolo

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Audio of people erupting to thunderous applause in Greenville, SC after voting to replace Lindsey Graham in 2014.

http://benswann.com/crowd-erupts-in-thunderous-applause-when-presented-with-resolution-to-replace-lindsey-graham/

Greenville is the biggest county in SC and the expectation is more counties will get on board. Is Nancy Mace the only candidate planning to run against Graham?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Highspeeddub posted:

Is Nancy Mace the only candidate planning to run against Graham?

He's also being challenged by Richard Cash (Dick Cash possibly being the best Republican name of all time), a local businessman, and State Senator Lee Bright.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Joementum posted:

He's also being challenged by Richard Cash (Dick Cash possibly being the best Republican name of all time),

Are you sure that's not also Anthony Weiner?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Joementum posted:

He's also being challenged by Richard Cash (Dick Cash possibly being the best Republican name of all time)

Only because Dick Armey has one too many 'e's.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Joementum posted:

He's also being challenged by Richard Cash (Dick Cash possibly being the best Republican name of all time), a local businessman, and State Senator Lee Bright.

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, Florida Rep. Ritch Workman (which I have to say is basically the most Republican name ever) is very concerned that a World History textbook is trying to replace the Constitution with Sharia Law.

Senator, you seem to be contradicting yourself. Which is it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
One is the best, the other is the most. Keep up now.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

SedanChair posted:

One is the best, the other is the most. Keep up now.

Yeah I figured the distinction would be pointed out, I just thought it was funny :(

John Nance Garner
Aug 16, 2012

Bring your bourbon and cigars to the "Bureau of Education".
Ritch Workman. The guy who want(ed) to overturn a ban on dwarf tossing...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jeffersonlives posted:

The Times has, a bit surprisingly given their ongoing feud, endorsed Booker.

No mention of Booker's John Fund endorsement in here.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

No mention of Booker's John Fund endorsement in here.

That's because it was in 2002?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jeffersonlives posted:

That's because it was in 2002?

Sure but everything he says there still applies.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Sure but everything he says there still applies.

We can give you every single thing you've said about Booker in the last several months and he's still going to landslide it up, so just sit back and enjoy the snark. None of it matters until you're proven right or wrong by his voting record and/or 2020 run, anyway.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Alter Ego posted:

Somehow the Weiner campaign got ahold of my email (this might actually be a legit "Thanks Obama" if he's sharing donor lists, though that seems unlikely). My favorite one was a couple weeks ago, where Weiner said that lots of people who aren't New Yorkers think he should shove off, but real New Yorkers like me know that Weiner is best for our city and need to stand up to those outsiders.

I've lived in Illinois and Michigan my whole life.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Adar posted:

We can give you every single thing you've said about Booker in the last several months and he's still going to landslide it up, so just sit back and enjoy the snark. None of it matters until you're proven right or wrong by his voting record and/or 2020 run, anyway.

True but I don't have to like it and I'm still working against it.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

mcmagic posted:

True but I don't have to like it and I'm still working against it.

I recommend you start by uncovering a sexting scandal.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
If that fails, just get an ad that implies Booker is loving white women. It worked when it came to Harold Ford, Jr.!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

If that fails, just get an ad that implies Booker is loving white women. It worked when it came to Harold Ford, Jr.!

Doubt that would work in NJ. I wouldn't shed any tears for Harold though. He's raking in the big bank money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's an idea: maybe Virginia is better off just not having a Governor?

• Locked thread