Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PWM
May 1, 2013
F U
Arcades are serious business!
(I had my first sex with a stand-up Centipede)

este posted:

using buzzwords like "hackable"
And these "hackers" have neither a set of (metric?) Allen wrenches nor a round file. Hell, in my days of noobery, I used a round file before I was introduced to a magical thing called Dremel. Only cost me twenty bucks with an extra set of assorted grinding bits.

edit: actually for widening button holes I would have used a reamer and cleaned up using a file. But car keys WTF. It would have been even more excellent if the guy's key could no longer be used to unlock or start his car after being used to mod his controller faceplate.

PWM fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Louisgod posted:

That was a very long, healthy piss man. Thank you for saving it up for the Ouya. It deserves much less.

Not the pee we wanted, but the pee we needed.

OUYA

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Morby posted:

Compare that Engadget article to the press releases a few weeks ago talking about how pissed they are with DHL. It's like two different companies.

I assume because the DHL excuse had started to become even more transparent now that when they first mentioned it. You've got Kickstarter backers without the console and it's August. Can only point the finger for so long.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I assume because the DHL excuse had started to become even more transparent now that when they first mentioned it. You've got Kickstarter backers without the console and it's August. Can only point the finger for so long.

I'd imagine at a certain point DHL also has to start going "Hey dicknoses, you aren't paying us enough to poo poo talk us all over the place."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Morby posted:

One of the things I find kinda jarring about OUYA marketing is that on one hand you have Julie with the smooth corporate buzzwords and also this "I'm trying to be gritty and edgy in my press release by using CURSE WORDS" on the other hand. Compare that Engadget article to the press releases a few weeks ago talking about how pissed they are with DHL. It's like two different companies.

Look man, they said they made an ouchie, alright?
They just want your <3 back, that's all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

I'd imagine at a certain point DHL also has to start going "Hey dicknoses, you aren't paying us enough to poo poo talk us all over the place."

Counterpoint: DHL sucks pretty bad.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My uncle used to work for DHL's IT department, he did a lot of work on their computer infrastructure. This is my same uncle who got kicked out of Pharmacology school for stealing drugs to sell for cash but still lies and says he has his PhD anyways. Take that information as you will.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Inspector_71 posted:

So she has no idea what Android is, then? The only apps I need to open are Chrome and the Phone when I make outgoing calls. Everything else is either a widget or a popup.

When your favorite OS is iTunes...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I was going to watch OUYA piss but the Dropbox link has "generated too much traffic". :argh:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I have a very silly question regarding these OUYA games kickstarters.

How is OUYA going to react when they understand the backers money isn't going through their payment system, and that they can't get their share of it?

How are the developers even going to manage the activation of the full games on the OUYA for the backers only? Codes maybe?

Sorry for bumping my own post, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows how OUYA expects to handle the kickstarted games financing, especially since their move to encourage developers to create kickstarters?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Sorry for bumping my own post, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows how OUYA expects to handle the kickstarted games financing, especially since their move to encourage developers to create kickstarters?

The first mistake is assuming that's something that OUYA has considered.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Have any developers actually went after that stupid game fund money yet?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

The first mistake is assuming that's something that OUYA has considered.

In that case, I really wish I could be there when they figure this out.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Midjack posted:

Counterpoint: DHL sucks pretty bad.

Counter-counterpoint: DHL is completely transparent when it comes to where you package is in their system as long as whoever sent the packaged cared enough to send you the tracking number.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Ironically the only way to distribute the OUYA pee vid was without a stream.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

This is actually a good point, they're probably going to have to patch the storefront just to add the ability for game developers to give out content to people (backers, or anybody) for free. I don't think there's any support for that at all, since developers were accidentally being charged for things (since there isn't even a test server :laffo:) and they just set it to not charge devs for their own games. (that's your workaround?)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Zaphod42 posted:

This is actually a good point, they're probably going to have to patch the storefront just to add the ability for game developers to give out content to people (backers, or anybody) for free. I don't think there's any support for that at all, since developers were accidentally being charged for things (since there isn't even a test server :laffo:) and they just set it to not charge devs for their own games. (that's your workaround?)

That's not a small patch. They would need to implement a code system, or some way to note "this person can download it for free". Ironically, the OUYA is very kickstarter unfriendly.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

quote:

To (maybe) those missing your second controller. (self.ouya)
submitted 2 days ago by sarphim
I recently opened a ticket with Ouya support in regards to my missing controller 2nd controller. I received the same automated response that I had the first time I opened one, that my second controller is being shipped "soon" and will make it to me in a couple weeks. Since it had been a couple weeks since my first ticket, I reopened the ticket and started demanding answers. Here is the response I was given:

Hi Thomas,
I hope this finds you well. I've tried to locate your order based on your email XXXXXXX@gmail.com and wasn't successful. I'd like to find the order, or KS donation, so I can speak to the missing controller. The extra controller(s) for folks that haven't shipped are on deck to ship next week, but I'd like to confirm that you're in this group rather than assume. RMA replacements and orders are different processes and stock, hence the difference you're experiencing. Thanks for your patience and understand.
Best, Piers Sutton

My response was: "WHAT THE gently caress?!?" They lost my order??!?! I emailed them back with the order # and confirmation number I received after preordering. This was their response:

Hi Thomas,
That worked, thanks! Your second controller is in our order system, but dropped out of our shipping system (we switched recently due to problems with DHL so this is likely where we lost it). I added your extra controller to a re-ship list and it should ship Monday or Tuesday to your address at XXXXXXXX. Sorry about this, thanks for your understanding.
Best, Piers

So they finally ditched DHL(yay) but during the transition probably hosed up a bunch of orders. If you're still missing your extra controlers, I'd suggest open a ticket(again) and request they verify your order. As it seems some will be "lost."

open universe? ya

bonus round:

quote:

[–]Oldfool1OUYA Backer 2 points 2 days ago
Thanks, my ticket was closed a month ago about this and haven't heard from them since. I just submitted another ticket fingers crossed.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

And that's just one part of the problem.

If I'm not mistaken somewhere in my logic, OUYA will receive 0$ for all the games funded via kickstarter and activated "for free" on the OUYA.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If I'm not mistaken somewhere in my logic, OUYA will receive 0$ for all the games funded via kickstarter and activated "for free" on the OUYA.

I hadn't thought of that.

It's settled, OUYA is incompatible with Kickstarter.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

They're probably operating on the basis that kickstarter rewards will only be a fraction of total game sales, and that's an acceptable loss to a) sell more of the game and get their cut on that and b) sell more systems since they'll now have actual exclusives.

While the reasoning is relatively sound, they haven't taken a good hard look at the size of their userbase and their market penetration.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
I really hope they turn around in a couple weeks and go "Now our game purchase to console rate is near 95%! It seems that more users have decided to spend money and actually buy a game on this system. See? We're doing fine." hoping everyone forgets they supplied most of the user base with that $13.37.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Assuming they still plan on paying devs for l33+ money spent on games, they're probably giving away a good $500,000 worth of revenue there, right?

Of course, that is based on the assumption that people will even bother buying anything with that money.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

raditts posted:

Assuming they still plan on paying devs for l33+ money spent on games, they're probably giving away a good $500,000 worth of revenue there, right?

Of course, that is based on the assumption that people will even bother buying anything with that money.

If they were really shady, they could turn around and not pay the devs for purchases made with leet money.

Would probably result in them getting sued, but I haven't read their TOS.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I really hope they turn around in a couple weeks and go "Now our game purchase to console rate is near 95%! It seems that more users have decided to spend money and actually buy a game on this system. See? We're doing fine." hoping everyone forgets they supplied most of the user base with that $13.37.

Given how many people are literally giving away their codes, I find that highly unlikely

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

quote:

Ouya Northeast Meetup (self.ouya)
submitted 11 days ago by the_hillshire_guy
Anybody live in the Northeast/New England area - New York, NJ, CT or Mass - and interested in an Ouya meetup?
Local multiplayer, Towerfall, Hidden in Plain Sight - I thinking a fun day of gaming and food would be a blast. Anybody interested?

The_loneliest_Hillshire_guy.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Dex posted:

It'll only be lonely if he has to pay for all their food and they leave after its gone.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Dex posted:

Ah ha. Towerfall is the best game on the system. Unfortunately, it assumes the owner has physical friends. Which, if you are an OUYA owner is apparently not the case.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This August 19th to 21st, Julie Uhrman asks you: "Will Unconsoles Become the Real Next-Gen Consoles?"

Oh man this gonna be good. :munch:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was in a local GameStop today pre-ordering Grand Theft Auto V and happened to see their OUYA display: 3 boxes (2 system boxes and 1 controller box) on top of their checkout counter. Nothing else OUYA related to be found in the store. It was loving pitiful and made me laugh quite a bit.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Right, so if you backed the Kickstarter and still have gently caress all you can just cancel the whole deal and they'll give you a refund. That's pretty loving telling right there.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was in a local GameStop today pre-ordering Grand Theft Auto V and happened to see their OUYA display: 3 boxes (2 system boxes and 1 controller box) on top of their checkout counter. Nothing else OUYA related to be found in the store. It was loving pitiful and made me laugh quite a bit.

I saw the same thing. The guy said they only get them to-order.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The best buy here has them in stock which is shocking because this area is notorious for buying up cheap lovely electronics like fire sale play books and touch pads

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Policenaut posted:

This August 19th to 21st, Julie Uhrman asks you: "Will Unconsoles Become the Real Next-Gen Consoles?"

Oh man this gonna be good. :munch:

If this was anyone else I'd fully expect a rehash of that classic National Geographic magazine spread about evolution.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

muscles like this? posted:

If this was anyone else I'd fully expect a rehash of that classic National Geographic magazine spread about evolution.

More generally: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Doesn't the OUYA not have physical media? What would they have?

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Posters mounted on walls/racks.

E; Something like this:

Siselmo posted:

Also, found this in the morning at the GameStop in Plaza Bonita

MGN001 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 7, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RagnarokAngel posted:

Doesn't the OUYA not have physical media? What would they have?
I'm guessing gift cards for the online store? GameStop stores sell those for Steam, so I assume it would be the same concept.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Enallyniv posted:

Ironically the only way to distribute the OUYA pee vid was without a stream.

Should've uploaded it with the title 'Emulating Wii on Ouya'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Backers without systems need to calm down, I'm closing in fast on my five-year anniversary of ordering my still unshipped Pandora.

• Locked thread