Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Cassette tapes and VHS tapes rule and I'm very sad for people who don't see this. Degraded quality over time is half the fun.

FLAC is wack.
I agree.

Also CD's are the worst. Horrible things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wonder what the crossover is between people that say "Man, cassette tapes sound horrible, why would anyone buy them in 2013?" and people who were ecstatic about All Hail West Texas getting a vinyl rerelease.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I personally don't see anything wrong with buying old cassette tapes for .25 if that's your thing and you have a tape deck and the space to store your cassettes. I will agree that even for punk bands, it would just make a lot more sense to burn CDs because you can definitely count on your fans having access to a CD drive over a tape deck. It would make a lot of sense for a broke band back in the 90s to record their demos over old cassettes to save money but in 2013, it just seems weird, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Cassette Store Day on the other hand is loving ridiculous. Why would anyone other than collectors grabbing every format available for a release be interested in spending between $20 and $30 for a loving cassette? I seriously hope it's a massive failure. Trying to bring back cassettes as a music medium is pretty dumb. They really don't hold any positives over any other music medium.

I'm personally waiting for Minidisc Store Day :colbert:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I bought a cassette recently just because I was determined I wanted to own every variation of that album. I wish I could not be a sperg and just live with one copy, all these variants are killing my wallet :negative:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I bought the latest War On Drugs album on cassette because the 'b side' was an exclusive instrumental album.

That's cool.

I have never played it. So I've never heard it.

Because fuckin' cassettes, man.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Cassettes just aren't dramatic enough.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I hope cassettes make a come back so I can sell all the ones my parents gave me instead of just tossing them out :colbert:

Hey what's the general consensus on glow in the dark vinyl? I hear some people say there's a lot more surface noise, but others say they sound fine. Is the quality really that different?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Whoever was saying cassettes don't have the same options for lyrics and artwork: obviously it's much smaller, but lots of cassettes have full booklets with lyrics and art and all that. I am very curious to listen to a new cassette, since it's been at least 15 years since I have done so. Joyful Noise sent out a mixtape with the Dumb Numbers album (which is loving fantastic, by the way), but I have nothing to play it on.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Hey what's the general consensus on glow in the dark vinyl? I hear some people say there's a lot more surface noise, but others say they sound fine. Is the quality really that different?

I have one record that glows in the dark and that's Animals As Leaders' S/T. It sounds just fine to me, but I imagine on a quieter album there might be some more noticeable surface noise.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I was going to wait until the last few turned up in the post to show off all the great stuff I've picked up in the last few weeks, but this one couldn't wait:

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
That is gorgeous.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I have one record that glows in the dark and that's Animals As Leaders' S/T. It sounds just fine to me, but I imagine on a quieter album there might be some more noticeable surface noise.

The one I was looking at was Destination: Beautiful by Mae. Just got repressed and went on sale through Hot Topic this morning (but sold out right before I could decide on ordering it). The album has its quiet moments so I can imagine it wouldn't sound the best on GITD vinyl. Oh well. The cassette conversation on this page convinced me to buy Tape Deck Heart by Frank Turner instead :v:

Fake James fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 6, 2013

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Between cassette tapes and Billy Joel you guys are really starting to scare me, almost seemed like the PYF Can of Worms thread for a minute there.

Ahh thanks that's better.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Finally got the first album I ever loved on vinyl :c00lbert:

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I love cassettes and I make mixtapes all the time. Seriously, making a mixtape is so much more fun than putting together a playlist or burning a cd.

As far as new cassettes: last Record Store Day I got a cassette from Burger Records and it sounds rad.

Hibernator fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 7, 2013

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Everyone saying bands should just sell CD-Rs: What kind of narc cop motherfucker sells a burned CDR? I've seen bands give them away, but to sell them?

I might have a glow in the dark record in the mail? The Re-Animator soundtrack has GID randomly inserted.

If I wasn't already broke I would be going broke very soon trying to get all of those Solaris releases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Kevar posted:

Everyone saying bands should just sell CD-Rs: What kind of narc cop motherfucker sells a burned CDR? I've seen bands give them away, but to sell them?

Well ideally they could fancy them up a bit with jewel cases and artwork. How is this fundamentally different from charging people for home made cassettes (which sound worse)?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Snowy posted:

Between cassette tapes and Billy Joel you guys are really starting to scare me, almost seemed like the PYF Can of Worms thread for a minute there.

Ahh thanks that's better.

I don't give two fucks about tapes, but Billy Joel is awesome :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
^Or they could give them away and sell different merch. Maybe give a CD away with every purchase so they recoup the value.

The only thing that keeps cassettes from looking "narc cop" is the novelty factor because it's 2013. Fifteenten years ago, any band trying to sell a recordable cassette would've met the same reaction as if they'd tried to sell an unlabeled CD-R.

*Edit: this was piggybacking off of CPL593H's post. Didn't see I'd been beaten there.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 7, 2013

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Well ideally they could fancy them up a bit with jewel cases and artwork. How is this fundamentally different from charging people for home made cassettes (which sound worse)?

It's not different. I think it just comes down to the fact that if you want the music digitally you can just get the MP3s and put them on your ipod/burn your own CD. Well, what it ACTUALLY comes down to is gently caress CDs. There's an album I own 8 copies of (2 are on cassette) and I've never even considered picking up the CD version.

CD Store Day 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The only thing that keeps cassettes from looking "narc cop" is the novelty factor because it's 2013. Fifteenten years ago, any band trying to sell a recordable cassette would've met the same reaction as if they'd tried to sell an unlabeled CD-R.

Exactly.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Exactly.

Y'all aren't punk and I'm telling everyone.

I wouldn't actually give a poo poo if a band was selling CDRs. I've just never seen it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

Y'all aren't punk and I'm telling everyone

That's right, I take showers and prefer not to get kicked and pushed at musical performances too.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

That's right, I take showers and prefer not to get kicked and pushed at musical performances too.

So what you're saying is I should save my breath, you never were one?

Either way, I'm not being serious. Cassettes are a thing some bands make/sell for cheap. Some people like them. Other people don't because sound quality and reasons. Vinyl and cassettes can co-exist peacefully, like in the 80s.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Snowy posted:

I'm beyond caring what people think of my music taste.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Between cassette tapes and Billy Joel you guys are really starting to scare me,

Oh come on. I like adventurous and heavy music as much as the next guy, I just consider it part of a balanced diet, along with my classic rock, pop hits, jazz, etc.

The worst is when you have That Guy who only listens to something obscure and/or off-putting, mostly because it makes him feel superior to those around him with lesser taste (I knew a dude like that once; he was obsessed with Gong and Gerry Rafferty and thought Van Der Graaf Generator's "Killer" was deep and meaningful. Prick.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Oh come on. I like adventurous and heavy music as much as the next guy, I just consider it part of a balanced diet, along with my classic rock, pop hits, jazz, etc.

The worst is when you have That Guy who only listens to something obscure and/or off-putting, mostly because it makes him feel superior to those around him with lesser taste (I knew a dude like that once; he was obsessed with Gong and Gerry Rafferty and thought Van Der Graaf Generator's "Killer" was deep and meaningful. Prick.)

I know one of those. Pretty much anytime I talk about or suggest a band more than three people have heard of it's derivative crap and soooo many other lesser known bands do that better.

edit: In other news! People are already price gouging the Re-Animator soundtrack on ebay. The non-limited edition LP, that only just started shipping out.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 7, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I know one of those. Pretty much anytime I talk about or suggest a band more than three people have heard of it's derivative crap and soooo many other lesser known bands do that better.

edit: In other news! People are already price gouging the Re-Animator soundtrack on ebay. The non-limited edition LP, that only just started shipping out.

And is still freely available from the site.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kevar posted:

Y'all aren't punk and I'm telling everyone.

I wouldn't actually give a poo poo if a band was selling CDRs. I've just never seen it.

I've seen 'record labels' selling CDRs. It's not common but sometimes you get them when you order straight from South American ventures for example. Of course there's usually some cover art etc so if you don't actually look at the CD you won't notice a thing! (Unless it's a horrible recording which is also often the case but that happens with a lot of records/cassettes as well.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't think of many gigs I've been to where there isn't at least one band selling CDRs, or a distro with some in at the very least.

The tape thing kinda did it's thing about 4 years ago here, think it's pretty much vanished again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The pHo posted:

I can't think of many gigs I've been to where there isn't at least one band selling CDRs, or a distro with some in at the very least.

The tape thing kinda did it's thing about 4 years ago here, think it's pretty much vanished again.

Yeah but now you can be into cassettes before they were cool again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I think cassettes should cost more because they sound worse.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Seriously gently caress cassettes, broken rear end medium.

Then again I love bands who use that "sound" of lo-fi... gently caress, I am a hypocrite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz9T-ZR4ApE

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

The pHo posted:

Yeah, I have a couple cassette-only releases from Jerkwave Tapes (e.g., Nice Face's "Can I gently caress It," which I really wish would see a vinyl release), but the label seems to have died out a few years ago. If the fad's peak is already over, it looks like I might have missed the window on selling my Marantz SD9000 for maximum profit. But, I may want to just keep it anyway, because it is a quite a site to behold as far as cassette decks go. So many loving buttons and knobs and switches:

Also, I finally upgraded my Can records, and picked up a couple random 7"s:

"Ege Bamyasi" is an original US, and "Tago Mago" is the 1981 (white label) Spoon reissue. Both stomp the poo poo out of the dubious "UA" reissues I have. Also, here's a geeky tip if you're ever in the market for these: avoid the black label Spoon reissues from circa 2000, and seek out original white labels from '81. People who have heard many pressings of these albums have nothing but nasty things to say about the black labels, but compare the white labels favorably to the ultra-pricey (and also often faked, so there's that to worry about) original German pressings. Make sure they're the white labels with "Spoon" in smaller, un-stylized font, though, because I think there might be a small handful of white label '00 releases floating around out there. Here's a pic of the true white label:

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 7, 2013

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'm beyond caring what people think of my music taste.

Allen Wren posted:

Sorry, you're right, to each his or her own. My tri-state area upbringing gave me an early Billy Joel overexposure and I'm basically allergic now. I'm like the Bubble Boy for Billy Joel and Bruuuuce.

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Just to weigh in on the tape issue, I know that it's been somewhat fad-ish over the last few years to release stuff on tape, but there is some great music being put out, even in a place as small as Ireland. I think tapes have a certain quality which lends itself well to a few types of music (punk, noise, experimental stuff), and the releases themselves are always profesionally duplicated cassettes, usually with inserts, lyric sheets etc. and download codes included.

Some awesome local tape releases from recent memory:

http://fortevilfruit.bandcamp.com/album/music-for-church-cleaners (Solo church organ)

http://fuckmountain.bandcamp.com/album/the-mountain-strikes-back (fuzzy good time punk)

http://artforblind.bandcamp.com/album/w-lfbait (heavy as gently caress doom noise)

So yeah, while some people jumped the bandwagon for a while (and "cassette store day" is horseshit obviously), there are people out there doing it for solid reasons.

Also, I dunno about anywhere else, but putting stuff out on vinyl is crazy expensive over here, while tape is relatively inexpensive. CD-Rs have always sucked rear end.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I've got a sneaky suspicion it's going to be a good evening ... (apologies for lovely phone camera):

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

drat, that cassette player looks badass. I also recently got some Can records among other stuff. The Gyros record I picked up on a whim for a buck at a thrift store. It struck all my record-collector buttons (private press, heavy vinyl, not awful art + song titles). It's fairly decent rockabilly from the 80s, nothing special. It commands strangely high prices from Discogs, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Sorry, you're right, to each his or her own. My tri-state area upbringing gave me an early Billy Joel overexposure and I'm basically allergic now. I'm like the Bubble Boy for Billy Joel and Bruuuuce.

I can understand that. My Jersey origin makes me cringe whenever someone mentions Bon Jovi.

landofcake posted:

I've got a sneaky suspicion it's going to be a good evening ... (apologies for lovely phone camera):

Oh man, I just heard Tab for the first time recently, poo poo is amazing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Snowy posted:

Allen Wren posted:

I can understand that. My Jersey origin makes me cringe whenever someone mentions Bon Jovi.

Yes, but the difference here is that Bon Jovi is a corny-rear end band for Bud Light drinkers and chicks named "Desteny" whereas Bruce is God.

Saying "I can't stand Springsteen because I was overexposed to his stuff growing up" is like saying "I hate the Beatles because my parents loved them." I get the impulse behind it but it just doesn't make sense to me.

My dad's favorite band is the Talking Heads and he played them all the time when I was growing up, but I'll be damned if I ever stop listening to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I can't stand Springsteen because I just don't like his music. Same with Billy Joel and countless others. There's no accounting for taste, I suppose.