Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i think iphone goes full off rather than deep standby, anroid lol!! gives you an option

blackberry only did a sleep on 'power off' iirc because it took like a year to cold boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
never gets old

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

My EYES ahhhhhhhh

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'm having so much trouble typing on my tablets miniature on screen keyboard, I think I'll carry around a large loving fullsized handheld keyboard to type with instead.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
i just wanna go to a park and hold that like a racecar wheel while making noises

e: hahahahah didn't scroll far enough down to see this at first

now those are what i call rewards

Vicas fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 6, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
i'm the goatse shirt

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
from the side it looks like a misshapen uterus

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Deacon of Delicious posted:

from the side it looks like a misshapen uterus

and they say babies don't remember things

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

same

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

that kickstarter is a goddamn goldmine

http://dksrealitydeathmaze.deviantart.com/

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
thanks for my daily reminder that deviant art

A) still exists
B) is loving awful

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol did you guys hear about the kickstarter where the guy took the money and burned it on moving to portland

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Migishu posted:

I'm having so much trouble typing on my tablets miniature on screen keyboard, I think I'll carry around a large loving fullsized handheld keyboard to type with instead.
•Battery Life: 10-hours

how

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol did you guys hear about the kickstarter where the guy took the money and burned it on moving to portland

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts

yes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im moving back to portland soon do you think people will give me money for i dunno custom leather-bound editions of hp lovecraft books made up to look like the necronomicon

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Al! posted:

im moving back to portland soon do you think people will give me money for i dunno custom leather-bound editions of hp lovecraft books made up to look like the necronomicon

kickstarter: move me to portland

rewards: you can buy me coffee if you're ever in portland, thanks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

i have an ex who lives in not-portland (aka vancouver) but works in pdx and she is a huge fan of all the creepy-pasta, cthulhu, great old ones, whatever excepting one tiny little detail. she's not read word one of lovecraft

anyway there are lots of people in portland, as im sure you know, who would eat that poo poo up for coffeetable display purposes and never bother to read it (tbf his writing is kind of abysmal and racist but like really funny old timey racist)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah cthulu bullshit is def. nerd marketable, if you can eke out a modicum of quality i'm sure you'd have no problem finding buyers

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

a book with the runes cut-out and an EL panel backing

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
is it the fun old-timey racism? does HP ever use moon crickets

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
most people who are into all this cthulhu poo poo have no idea how racist and generally goony Lovecraft actually was

and yeah, a lot of people haven't read his stuff, or have sorta skimmed through Call of Cthulhu but i mean really it's so dry and slow and i mean i basically know the story that's totally fine haha tentacles, right?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Vicas posted:

and yeah, a lot of people haven't read his stuff, or have sorta skimmed through Call of Cthulhu but i mean really it's so dry and slow and i mean i basically know the story that's totally fine haha tentacles, right?

tbf his stories are really slow and dry

then again I don't really like lovecraftian horror

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
yeah i'm p sure a lot of people who claim to like lovecraftian horror have at least tried to read his works and just put them down and also told people "oh it's kinda tame anyway"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Vicas posted:

yeah i'm p sure a lot of people who claim to like lovecraftian horror have at least tried to read his works and just put them down and also told people "oh it's kinda tame anyway"

i read some on a palm pilot (lol forever) a long time ago and even then i remember thinking is this what people are going crazy over?

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
A 50 page shirt story about some old guy who lives in a cold house or something and can't die??? i don't know it was p boring

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Vicas posted:

most people who are into all this cthulhu poo poo have no idea how racist and generally goony Lovecraft actually was

I think you could make a serious argument that the cthulhu mythos was inspired by a phobia of non-whiteness

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think you could make a serious argument that the cthulhu mythos was inspired by a phobia of non-whiteness

~the batrachian nigerian horror from beyond the northeast US~

also he wrote a story with a protagonist who seemed like he reaaaally wanted to be a necrophiliac

and married a jewess even though he was an anti-semite because, welp

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Vicas posted:

he wasnt really any racist than EVERYONE ELSE in new england at the time, and later said the poo poo he original thought was wrong and stupid

after all he married a jew

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
very true, but most of his most famous works came from when that racism was in full force, and it shows

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Vicas posted:

very true, but most of his most famous works came from when that racism was in full force, and it shows

if you dont want to read books influenced by being pretty racist, you better not read anything written before 1990

and even then

anyone spergy enough to make it as an artist is almost always going to be a shitbag person

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

if you dont want to read books influenced by being pretty racist, you better not read anything written before 1990

and even then

anyone spergy enough to make it as an artist is almost always going to be a shitbag person

lol "everyone else was doing it" - a literal six year old

good thing they got rid of all of that racism in 1990, it's been great not having any racist writing for the past 2 decades

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Lovecraft was extremely racist, even by the standards of his time. His letters -particularly those between him and Robert Howard - make it obvious that he was actively fixated on white superiority, eugenics, and the degenerate peoples. Racism is a central theme in his work, rather than a bit of historical context.

He stood marry a Jew, but he was the ultimate shut in unemployable goon. He would have pushed aside his 'ideals' if it meant touching another human.

That said I still like his writing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Deacon of Delicious posted:

lol "everyone else was doing it" - a literal six year old

good thing they got rid of all of that racism in 1990, it's been great not having any racist writing for the past 2 decades

yeah they still had racism in the 90s

Ice Cube - the Predator posted:

White man is something I tried to study,
But I got my hands bloody, yeah.
They say I can sing like a jaybird
But, nigga, don’t say the j-word

that's right, i'm calling you out Cube (for maybe one of the best albums ever) but also you went to the gathering of the juggalos so actually just gently caress right off

actually actually this post is so bad i think i might be having a stroke, please sned help

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I tried reading Thomas ligotti or whatever, the horror dude. It was just like lovecraft

Is wordy and dry just the way horror is done?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I tried reading Thomas ligotti or whatever, the horror dude. It was just like lovecraft

it's a pretty low tier genre, probably lower than fantasy even.

the "weird fiction" from the late 19th/early 20th is still the best and the most fun to read, if only to enjoy the purple prose and charming anachronisms.

lovecraft, lord dunsany, and william hodgson are good poo poo

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I think Ligotti is even more nihilistic than Lovecraft

well, I know he is, because he wrote a book about how human consciousness is the worst of all possible horrors

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

syscall girl posted:

actually actually this post is so bad i think i might be having a stroke, please sned help
that avatar would excuse even the shittest of posts :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vicas posted:

the colour out of space and dreams in the witch house were pretty good though

at least i remember them being

they both had themes about #whoa crazy non-Euclidean geometry or the color that can not be ... pasty proto-goon loses his poo poo in this One Weird Tale

doctors (of literature) hate him

basically all his mary sues lose their minds when they discover something their brains just can't handle which says a lot about him

• Locked thread