Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Heh, it actually is Korea I'm flying to. Do you have a specific one you can recommend? I'm not too worried about it since I'll be doing music through my phone and I plan on sleeping for at least a few hours of the flight, but it'll be nice to have just in case.

It's been a while, but I'd suggest buying based on physical size you can easily carry. Amazon has a ton of them. Juicebars look easily portable, but I haven't used one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Heh, it actually is Korea I'm flying to. Do you have a specific one you can recommend? I'm not too worried about it since I'll be doing music through my phone and I plan on sleeping for at least a few hours of the flight, but it'll be nice to have just in case.

I have this and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002D4IHYM/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?qid=1375839120&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
edit: nm proxy got the best of me

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 7, 2013

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
The Nexus 7 is great but my experience was short lived.

I don't know if it was a bad tablet or bad encryption but something seriously broke. I wanted to add my company email to my tablet and part of that process involves enabling encryption on my device. Everything was fine and running well, until I plugged it in for the night. At some point my Nexus rebooted and it was at the pre OS screen asking for encryption credentials. I thought that was weird but entered my info. It chugs along fine until it loads my lock screen where I immediately notice it no longer was asking for a PIN and my background changed back to the default. I go to my home screen and noticed my widgets weren't loading and I started getting error messages saying Currents and Play Store stopped responding. I try and access those apps but they go straight to a crash message.

I go ahead and factory reset it and when I tried to reapply the encryption it would go through the motions but it would never encrypt. I thought it was a bad reset and reset it again. Now it just hangs where it says Google and never boots up.

I ended up calling Google Support and I'm getting my Nexus replaced. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I know it's not what you asked for specifically, but I recently bought a JBL Charge and it's the best thing ever. It's a bluetooth speaker that can also be used as a mobile charger (6000 mAh so you can charge the Nexus 1,5 times). Yes, it's a lot bigger than just an external battery, but you get a kick rear end speaker as well and it fits easily into a backpack or a bag. Since you're traveling it might come in handy?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I have a original Kindle Fire, and I'm looking to get a new tablet, trying to decide between the new Nexus 7 or the old 10. My issue is that I mainly use it for reading comics, and while I can get by with the screen size, it sometimes does get a little cramped.

Do all the other benefits of the new 7 outweight the size increase of the 10? Or should I wait til they announce the new 10 to see what that brings to the table?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Stentorian Hoot posted:

The Nexus 7 is great but my experience was short lived.

I don't know if it was a bad tablet or bad encryption but something seriously broke. I wanted to add my company email to my tablet and part of that process involves enabling encryption on my device. Everything was fine and running well, until I plugged it in for the night. At some point my Nexus rebooted and it was at the pre OS screen asking for encryption credentials. I thought that was weird but entered my info. It chugs along fine until it loads my lock screen where I immediately notice it no longer was asking for a PIN and my background changed back to the default. I go to my home screen and noticed my widgets weren't loading and I started getting error messages saying Currents and Play Store stopped responding. I try and access those apps but they go straight to a crash message.

I go ahead and factory reset it and when I tried to reapply the encryption it would go through the motions but it would never encrypt. I thought it was a bad reset and reset it again. Now it just hangs where it says Google and never boots up.

I ended up calling Google Support and I'm getting my Nexus replaced. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Access work email(read exchange) from a tablet or phone general requires you to give certain permissions to the application like remote reset and a bunch of security options. It is possible you got remote reset, by some security settings at work that validate at 2 am every day. Time to go see your system admin.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, some companies whitelist devices and if your device isn't on the whitelist, it gets remote wiped automatically.

If you can get into the bootloader, I would probably just reflash the factory image with fastboot and go from there.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Has there been any more specific info on when the LTE Nexus 7 will be released?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

AlexF posted:

I know it's not what you asked for specifically, but I recently bought a JBL Charge and it's the best thing ever. It's a bluetooth speaker that can also be used as a mobile charger (6000 mAh so you can charge the Nexus 1,5 times). Yes, it's a lot bigger than just an external battery, but you get a kick rear end speaker as well and it fits easily into a backpack or a bag. Since you're traveling it might come in handy?

I spent a month in a hotel and another month waiting for my things to show up when I moved recently, and I will say that the JBL Charge is the poo poo. Juice for the travel portion, sound for when you're chilling and would like to listen to things. It sounds surprisingly good for a portable speaker. Easily worth it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I want to point out that there's a company that makes messenger bags with built in batteries that is super loving handy. Storage and charging all in one. They're called Powerbags.

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, some companies whitelist devices and if your device isn't on the whitelist, it gets remote wiped automatically.

If you can get into the bootloader, I would probably just reflash the factory image with fastboot and go from there.

What makes it weird is that we don't have a whitelist here. It's open to anyone that has an exchange account and a device that supports activesync.

I would of loved to try and reflash it but I don't think Google released the factory image yet. No big deal though, support has been very helpful and already shipped a replacement for me.

Next time I'm just going to use touchdown or some other sandbox mail app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Stentorian Hoot posted:

I would of loved to try and reflash it but I don't think Google released the factory image yet.

You are right, and it's actually looking cloudy as to if they will. There seems to be some discord in the house of Google and Android.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/07/no-eta-on-factory-image-for-new-nexus-7-according-to-jbq/

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My Nexus 7 2013 or FHD or whatever has been working great since day one. I was just now listing to some music, and put it on pause to speak with a co-worker. I just came back to my desk with the Nexus boot up logo showing. After waiting a few minutes I turned it off and turned it back on, and it's still hanging at the Nexus logo.

sigh...

ninja edit: Finally finished booting up after what felt like forever. Like it took 5 minutes to boot up.

ninja edit2: what the fuuuck? After unlocking the tablet I'm greeted with "Google Play Services stopped working." Instead of loading NovaLauncher right away it it asks me if I want to launch the default launcher or NovaLauncher. Selecting Nova greets me with the default NovaLauncher layout--all of my icons and folders have been lost to the default. And I no longer have a PIN set or anything.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 7, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If an android device crashes, it may mark the storage as unclean. If that flag is set on startup, it has to go through the android equivalent of chkdsk on the storage. With a 32gb device, that may take some time (which leads to far longer boot time.)

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Haha holy crap I have same issue as Stentorian Hoot apparently. Yes I was using an Exchange email account. No it wasn't wiped, otherwise my phone would have been wiped too.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My tablet was NOT encrypted btw. The exchange policy just forces a PIN and a few other things.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can't help but notice this seemed to happen RIGHT around the same time Google is rolling device manager out. I wonder if the services framework is fighting with the exchange server for device admin rights behind the scenes.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I also have a Google Apps for your Domain or whatever they're calling it now (Google Apps for Business? I dunno). That also has the ability to track and wipe devices. But why would this happen to just my Nexus 7 and not my Galaxy S3?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Are you running stock on the GS3?

Touchwiz uses a different email app than stock and there are probably other changes to the basic framework in there as I believe Samsung was doing more for business security. It may also be a combination of a 4.3 bug in relation to the update.

It just seems like a pretty big coincidence that it happened to two people the same day this service went live.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just got my 7 in, but I'm a bit unhappy with how it was packaged.

Apparently they get sent to the retailers in these boxes that can have up to 10 devices in them in the original packaging. Well, I got mine in one of those boxes (The original shipping labels were on the outside of it) and there was nothing else in the box.

Nothing else, not even packing material.

It seems to be okay so far, but I'm going to be very paranoid about any problems it might show.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/8/9/4605382/nexus-7-suffering-faulty-gps-google-investigating

Sorry for the mobile link but it would appear the new 7 has GPS problems and Google confirms it. I haven't seen it though and I play ingress on it. :shrug:

Hooray ASUS quality control.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/8/9/4605382/nexus-7-suffering-faulty-gps-google-investigating

Sorry for the mobile link but it would appear the new 7 has GPS problems and Google confirms it. I haven't seen it though and I play ingress on it. :shrug:

Hooray ASUS quality control.

Looks like it's software based. According to that Google Product Forums link, if you disable Google Play Services, it tends to work fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't noticed any problems myself, but yes it looks like Google messed something up in Google Play Services. Touchwiz phones also appear to be having a lot of battery drain issues with the new Play Services as well related to location reporting.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Nexus 7 that I bought for my gf last September will no longer take a charge. Is that something I take up with Staples, Google or ASUS?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

rock2much posted:

The Nexus 7 that I bought for my gf last September will no longer take a charge. Is that something I take up with Staples, Google or ASUS?

I think Staples' return window for your Nexus 7 is long gone. And since you bought it at Staples, I don't think Google Play will help you out. Best to go directly to ASUS.

[edit] Yeah, I was right :) https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2662734?hl=en-AU

[edit 2] For a decent budget tablet, Walmart dropped the price on their exclusive Hisense Sero 7 Pro tablet (a glorified Nexus 7) to $129 permanently. http://www.androidcentral.com/hisense-drops-price-sero-7-pro-129

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 9, 2013

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
What's a decent rapid charger for the new Nexus 7? Does it get hot or die with a 2+ amp?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bobcats posted:

What's a decent rapid charger for the new Nexus 7? Does it get hot or die with a 2+ amp?

I've been charging my 2013 N7 with the 2 amp charger that came with my 2012 N7. Only time I noticed any warmth was charging it with that charger and playing hours of Magic 2014 and even then it was incredibly minor.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A rapid charger will only work if the nexus will charge at that rate. Putting a higher amp charger wont necessarily do anything.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Bobcats posted:

No decent consumer electronics device should pull more power than it can safely use, even with a much higher rated charger. Its underpowered chargers that can cause problems (most often just not charging the device).

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

I think Staples' return window for your Nexus 7 is long gone. And since you bought it at Staples, I don't think Google Play will help you out. Best to go directly to ASUS.

[edit] Yeah, I was right :) https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2662734?hl=en-AU

[edit 2] For a decent budget tablet, Walmart dropped the price on their exclusive Hisense Sero 7 Pro tablet (a glorified Nexus 7) to $129 permanently. http://www.androidcentral.com/hisense-drops-price-sero-7-pro-129

Thanks!

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Anyone else running 4.3 having issues with bluetooth keyboards? Mine keeps disconnecting and typing all sorts of crazy letters and stuff and it blows.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Great, now in addition to crashing my Nexus 10 has started eating battery. Last night I noticed it for some reason was only at 15%, so I charged it to 50% and went to bed. This morning the tablet was dead and after turning it on battery was at 4%.

There are no logs in battery history about what is using all that power :suicide:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

Anyone else running 4.3 having issues with bluetooth keyboards? Mine keeps disconnecting and typing all sorts of crazy letters and stuff and it blows.

4.3 has broken a lot of Bluetooth keyboards. It's a bug that Google knows about, if I recall correctly.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

teagone posted:

Honestly it's better than a Nexus 7 if you care about storage because it has a micro sd port. I've had mine for about a month now and I have no complaints. I wish there was some sort of rubberized case out for it. I'm not a huge fan of the fake leather one that's on amazon. I've used it a lot for reading and watching movies. Skype worked very well too.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Anyone have a recommendation for a good case for the new N7 that isn't one of the official Asus ones?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Thanks to whoever recommended the JBL Charge. It sounds fantastic for such a small size and will easily charge my n7 from empty to full and then some.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Super Dude posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good case for the new N7 that isn't one of the official Asus ones?

There pretty much arnt any yet.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Super Dude posted:

I can identify one that isn't good, this one

And the ASUS case is getting horrible reviews, so being careful and waiting is the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
I am loving my new Nexus 7 but I loving cannot stand that they have included this Google hangout poo poo. It is such a terrible app.