Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Silver Sound posted:

The Wii Sports U trailer looked almost decent - where the hell is this stuff? All it'd take to sell this (to me at least) is a new Metroid Prime, and a new (ideally not cat) Mario or Zelda. I'll get this thing when the price is cut and Mario Kart and Smash Bros is well on the way. It still has great potential, but man they really dropped the ball on this. Why, Iwata, whyy.

Metroid is dead, friend. Yoshio Sakamoto killed the hell out of it and got promoted for his trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Metroid was never a super big thing to begin with. Super Metroid barely, just barely broke 1 million copies. The Lion King snes game sold better than Super Metroid. The franchise was always more popular in America than in Japan too. So it makes a lot of sense that they decided to make Other M Japanese as gently caress. Nintendo really knows how to play to its audience.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Astro7x posted:

That looks great, what the heck are you talking about with painful to look at?

The neon grass reminds me of those old screenshots of games when HDR and Bloom were the new thing and every game just saturated the poo poo out of them. I remember old Oblivion screenshots that may as well have been screenshots of the sun exploding, with maybe a mountain and a character with an ugly, lumpy face on the other side of the frame.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up

OatmealRaisin posted:

Metroid is dead, friend. Yoshio Sakamoto killed the hell out of it and got promoted for his trouble.

I couldn't finish M:OM. There wasn't one redeeming thing about that game. It's just, the scanner system from Prime would work so well with the pad. They were meant to be together. There's still a few years for Nintendo to half-unfuck themselves, and I choose to remain optimistic despite the fact that Nintendo is run by chowderheads. Optimism doesn't necessarily mean they deserve anyone's money anytime soon, but a new Metroid made my Retro would definitely see some cashflow from the devout fans. Who are basically the only people who bought the games in the first place.

There's really no reason to buy a Wii U except to play Ninteno IP games. They've gotta know that, or how else can they justify reselling Wind Waker for $60? Had they made sure they had a bunch of rehashed franchises ready to go from the start, people would've still complained, but Nintendo would've sold consoles. It's like they don't realize the power of their titles' names.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OatmealRaisin posted:

Did he really get promoted?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Metroid was never a super big thing to begin with. Super Metroid barely, just barely broke 1 million copies. The Lion King snes game sold better than Super Metroid. The franchise was always more popular in America than in Japan too. So it makes a lot of sense that they decided to make Other M Japanese as gently caress. Nintendo really knows how to play to its audience.

Not even in Japan considering Japan hated Other M too.

Alteisen posted:

"Promoted" in Japanese corporate speak isn't always a good thing.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I can't cite it, but that's what I've heard. Not like one of those "promotions" you get in Japan either where they just shunt you into a dark corner. Nintendo blames Other M entirely on Team Ninja.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I thought Other M Was good for what it was. I much prefer the Prime series, but it's not like this is the new direction for the series from here on out. I'd much rather have played Other M than to not have had a single Metroid game since Prime 3.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

zenintrude posted:

Here, I next gen'd it for everyone

Get with the times daddy-o :c00lbert:, everything's blue and orange now.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Silver Sound posted:

There's still a few years for Nintendo to half-unfuck themselves

Absolutely, Nintendo has plenty of time. The WiiU doesn't. Wind Waker and Wii Fit U will move some systems this holiday season, but lets be honest, if next year sales drop back to where they are now, the WiiU is hosed.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Silver Sound posted:

I was at Best Buy today, money and gift cards in hand, ready to buy the Pikmin/Wii U bundle. I've been on the fence this entire time, and decided 'gently caress it, I'm going to get one eventually, may as well now' until I looked at the pathetic quarter-row of Wii U games sitting next to another-half row of subpar Wii games. $350 for a game that takes a few days to beat just isn't worth it. Pikmin is the only game that is even remotely appealing right now after being out for 10 months. It hadn't really occurred to me how bad the Wii U is until the decision to blow half my rent was in front of my face. I really hope they get their poo poo together, because I wanna love you Nintendo.

The Wii Sports U trailer looked almost decent - where the hell is this stuff? All it'd take to sell this (to me at least) is a new Metroid Prime, and a new (ideally not cat) Mario or Zelda. I'll get this thing when the price is cut and Mario Kart and Smash Bros is well on the way. It still has great potential, but man they really dropped the ball on this. Why, Iwata, whyy.

The story of why I don't a Wii-U yet either. I really want to own one, and if it gets a price drop I'd probably pick it up even if it didn't get any interesting new games yet, but I'm kinda seeing the same trend as in the Wii's lineup which is not good :(.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wii U doesn't even have some of the interesting niche titles that the Wii had in its first year, like Trauma Center, Zack & Wiki, and Boom Blox.

midwat
May 6, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Absolutely, Nintendo has plenty of time. The WiiU doesn't. Wind Waker and Wii Fit U will move some systems this holiday season, but lets be honest, if next year sales drop back to where they are now, the WiiU is hosed.

To be honest, I think the WiiU is already hosed.

Their best hope for competing with the Xbone and PS4 was to use their year-long head start to flood the market with quality games. This was the time where they had the spotlight solely to themselves and where they could have made their case - "We're here, we're cheaper and here's a bevy of games that use this touchscreen in a novel way."

The fact that they did not have their ducks in a row is breathtakingly awful. Success is the worst teacher, and Nintendo seemingly did not learn anything over the past generation.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

boom boom boom posted:

I think Smash Brothers alone (along with Mario Kart, Zelda, etc) is going to guarantee this doesn't happen. Not that the Wii U is gonna topple any next gen consoles, but I think it'll stay afloat and be just kind of meandering in the background this gen just like the Wii before it. Consoles have almost always historically had awful first years. The timing is just particularly bad this time around, and the marketing/lack of games makes it seem worse than it is. The Wii U will more than likely be in sound enough shape come 2014.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 7, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Wii was never in last place, nor did it meander. It was an unrepeatable sales phenomenon.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Wii was never in last place, nor did it meander. It was an unrepeatable sales phenomenon.
Right, which quickly receeded after the novelty wore off and it became apparent that all it would have to offer was shovel-ware. The only difference here is the Wii U didn't have the blastoff kickstart the Wii did. It's still a console a generation behind in tech with some wacky controller that's going to have Nintendo games on it. When enough people get wise to what a Wii U even is, and see the games on it, the situation will become less of an unsalvagable disaster. I don't think anyone has ever bought a Nintendo console for the potential 3rd party support since after the SNES.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 7, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The casual market that helped make the Wii a success was never going to purchase a $350 console with some half-assed offerings a few years later. I can't imagine anyone over at Nintendo could have possibly believed that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not so sure that the upcoming Nintendo games are good enough drivers for hardware sales. Prior to system launch everyone pointed to the 27 million sales of New Super Mario Bros Wii and NSMBU did not make Wii U fly off shelves. I'm not sure why a Mario Kart or Smash game will do it if NSMBU couldn't.

Especially when there are current versions of these titles that are already available on 3DS. The 3DS version of Smash Bros is gonna outsell the Wii U version in buckets and buckets.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fallom posted:

The casual market that helped make the Wii a success was never going to purchase a $350 console with some half-assed offerings a few years later. I can't imagine anyone over at Nintendo could have possibly believed that.

People would have bought it if it was just more Wii. People would have bought a New Wii with New Zelda and New Wii Sports. Our whole country is built on people buying the new thing and throwing out the old thing. It was trying to innovate with the controller and bring back "core gamers" that was the problem.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fallom posted:

Maybe with an impressive marketing campaign it could have. Though as seen early on in this thread, the marketing was so weak that some people thought the Wii-U was an addon to the Wii.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

I'm not so sure that the upcoming Nintendo games are good enough drivers for hardware sales. Prior to system launch everyone pointed to the 27 million sales of New Super Mario Bros Wii and NSMBU did not make Wii U fly off shelves. I'm not sure why a Mario Kart or Smash game will do it if NSMBU couldn't.

Out of curiosity, how many copies did NSMBU sell?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maple Leaf posted:

Out of curiosity, how many copies did NSMBU sell?
I think it has a super high attach rate (although what else would people have bought at launch, I guess) but it's only sold 2.15 million worldwide.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
Nintendo lost the core gamers a long time ago. The Wii was able to sell to the casual market, but now there are facebook and smartphones. The only real market nintendo has left are 8 y/o boys. Even then they would probably rather have the next COD than Mario.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I think it has a super high attach rate (although what else would people have bought at launch, I guess) but it's only sold 2.15 million worldwide.

But there's only some 3 million WiiUs in the wild. That's over a 50% attach rate. But, yeah, it's because there's loving nothing else.

quote:

There's a huge difference between having one great game at launch and having several. Even if you won't have the means to play all of the games for a very long time, it's a big help to know this thing you're investing a lot of money in isn't a one-trick pony.

quote:

Especially when there are current versions of these titles that are already available on 3DS. The 3DS version of Smash Bros is gonna outsell the Wii U version in buckets and buckets.

Maybe, but this would even out a lot if they released the WiiU version weeks before the 3DS version. And if they're not idiots that's exactly what they'll do.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 7, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I highly doubt that. Smash is a franchise that people have always bought for local play. Local play on handhelds is something that just hasn't caught on in the US as it has in Japan. Hardcore Smash fans will get both, but I really think that the Wii U version will be the sales driver and the version of the game that gets the most mainstream attention in the US.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

deadwing posted:

I highly doubt that. Smash is a franchise that people have always bought for local play. Local play on handhelds is something that just hasn't caught on in the US as it has in Japan. Hardcore Smash fans will get both, but I really think that the Wii U version will be the sales driver and the version of the game that gets the most mainstream attention in the US.

I want to get both myself. I want the much better looking console version with all its exclusive stages and online play at home. If I'm not at home then I can have Smash Bros on the go. Literally Smash Bros anywhere.

Smash Bros will get me to buy the system. Before that though sadly nothing else will, as badly as I want to play Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze (hopefully they release a 3DS version of that as well)

edit: Assuming they don't gently caress up online play this time

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 7, 2013

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

illiniguy01 posted:

Nintendo lost the core gamers a long time ago. The Wii was able to sell to the casual market, but now there are facebook and smartphones. The only real market nintendo has left are 8 y/o boys. Even then they would probably rather have the next COD than Mario.

I know we're all just talking out our asses here, but is there any reason to believe that casuals, that strange and fickle species, think Facebook and angry birds excludes consoles?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadwing posted:

I highly doubt your doubt. Far more people own 3DS systems than Wii U, and we're talking a cost comparison of $35.99 over the eShop to $410 for the Wii U+Smash Wii U. The 3DS version will have online play and they've already said the Wii U version will only in differ in having a couple of exclusive stages. So kids will play locally with their friends and adults will choose online play over paying an additional 375 dollars.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I highly doubt your doubt. Far more people own 3DS systems than Wii U, and we're talking a cost comparison of $35.99 over the eShop to $410 for the Wii U+Smash Wii U. The 3DS version will have online play and they've already said the Wii U version will only in differ in having a couple of exclusive stages. So kids will play locally with their friends and adults will choose online play over paying an additional 375 dollars.

As a grown rear end man who still plays Brawl on a monthly basis in local-play with large groups, probably not. A lot of us will be double-dipping for both versions though. Gotta be able to practice to win. :v:

I was also under the impression that the stage rosters were going to be completely different (probably besides Battlefield and Final Destination), since that's why the two games weren't going to have cross-play.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They haven't released a full stage list but both games have Battlefield so I assume that there will be plenty of crossover with legacy stages like Final Destination. Plus, there's a Wii U version of an Animal Crossing stage, and there'll definitely be a 3DS version since there is no Animal Crossing for Wii U. So some of the stages people think are exclusive might not be (surely the Wii Fit/Megaman stages would be in both since the characters are in both). All Nintendo is giving us is screenshots and leaving the context up to us to speculate on.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 7, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

midwat posted:

Their best hope for competing with the Xbone and PS4 was to use their year-long head start to flood the market with quality games. This was the time where they had the spotlight solely to themselves and where they could have made their case - "We're here, we're cheaper and here's a bevy of games that use this touchscreen in a novel way."

None of the third party games are going to look enticing when they are getting PS3/360 ports. Why buy a Wii U for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed when you can get it for the system you already haver? What are the real Wii U exclusives 3rd party titles? Lego City, Zombi U, aaaaand I'm out of games already.

Bobnumerotres posted:

But there's only some 3 million WiiUs in the wild. That's over a 50% attach rate. But, yeah, it's because there's loving nothing else.

I might be wrong here, but on the N64 when there were only two games at launch I think Mario 64 had a pretty much 1 to 1 attach rate and Pilotwings was 1 to 4. I would expect it to be at 100%. I know Nintendo Land was a pack in w/ some consoles, but it's outselling NSMB.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

They haven't released a full stage list but both games have Battlefield so I assume that there will be plenty of crossover with legacy stages like Final Destination. Plus, there's a Wii U version of an Animal Crossing stage, and there'll definitely be a 3DS version since there is no Animal Crossing for Wii U. So some of the stages people think are exclusive might not be (surely the Wii Fit/Megaman stages would be in both since the characters are in both). All Nintendo is giving us is screenshots and leaving the context up to us to speculate on.

quote:

The Wii U and 3DS versions of the new Super Smash Bros. will not feature cross-platform play, director of Sora Ltd. Masahiro Sakurai tells Joystiq. Since each version of the game has completely different stages, cross-platform play wouldn't work, he told us through an interpreter.

I'm pretty sure you're absolutely wrong here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadwing posted:

I'm pretty sure you're absolutely wrong here.
In the developer direct for the game, Sakurai only said that SOME of the stages would be different.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Almost Smart posted:

I haven't been paying too close attention, but what does Wind Waker HD do that a dolphin emulator can't?

The Dolphin version is so much better. So you save like $500 or so. Fuckin cool right?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bluedust posted:

The Dolphin version is so much better. So you save like $500 or so. Fuckin cool right?

Yes because inaccurate high level emulation that requires a $1000 "gaming rig" to look on par with this quality is "saving" $500 :rolleyes:

Next you're going to tell me that Xenoblade is better on Dolphin nevermind that the sound is horribly wrong and terrible aren't you

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

In the developer direct for the game, Sakurai only said that SOME of the stages would be different.

Well yeah, there's Battlefield and Final Destination for sure. I'd bet on different stages beyond the standards between the two versions. If, say, the same Mega Man or Wii Fit levels were in both versions, surely they would have showed some footage that shows the overlap. Now, I bet there'll be a Mega Man level for the 3DS game, just not the same one as the Wii U version. After all, the differences in levels has been the only thing shown to differentiate the two versions so far. Maybe a Mega Man Legends 3 stage that looks really cool as all of the characters do their intros, then goes straight to a flat, Final Destination-esque level done in all black. :v:

Either way we're both working off casual information from a translator.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Astro7x posted:

None of the third party games are going to look enticing when they are getting PS3/360 ports. Why buy a Wii U for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed when you can get it for the system you already haver? What are the real Wii U exclusives 3rd party titles? Lego City, Zombi U, aaaaand I'm out of games already.

Really, they should have used some of that sweet Wii money to bribe third-party developers for exclusives and to find ways to make the touchscreen worthwhile.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadwing posted:

Well yeah, there's Battlefield and Final Destination for sure. I'd bet on different stages beyond the standards between the two versions. If, say, the same Mega Man or Wii Fit levels were in both versions, surely they would have showed some footage that shows the overlap. Now, I bet there'll be a Mega Man level for the 3DS game, just not the same one as the Wii U version. After all, the differences in levels has been the only thing shown to differentiate the two versions so far. Maybe a Mega Man Legends 3 stage that looks really cool as all of the characters do their intros, then goes straight to a flat, Final Destination-esque level done in all black. :v:

Either way we're both working off casual information from a translator.
We're both speculating mostly based on what's been shown, you're right. The thing to keep in mind is the game is still in development and they are probably only showing what they're comfortable showing to the public. I can't imagine an Animal Crossing stage not being on the handheld that actually has an Animal Crossing. If Brawl was any indication, the number of stages in both games is going to be enormous, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of the stages were shared, if nothing else than to save on development time. Plenty of legacy stages to put into the game to make Smash fans happy, where you already have the art assets.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 7, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

We're both speculating mostly based on what's been shown, you're right. The thing to keep in mind is the game is still in development and they are probably only showing what they're comfortable showing to the public. I can't imagine an Animal Crossing stage not being on the handheld that actually has an Animal Crossing. If Brawl was any indication, the number of stages in both games is going to be enormous, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of the stages were shared, if nothing else than to save on development time. Plenty of legacy stages to put into the game to make Smash fans happy, where you already have the art assets.

I'm betting a completely different way - like there's no way both versions won't have an Animal Crossing stage. But the Wii U's shown stage is clearly based off on Animal Crossing City Folk based on art style and locations shown. The 3DS version will probably have a New Leaf-themed level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

My inner optimist maintains that what happened was Nintendo recognised that they'd need time to work out the kinks in their development methodology when working with an HD platform, and decided to trust third parties with their promises of support to keep the system afloat with decent-if-not-earthshattering titles while they changed gear and figured out the bugs in the new routine. When the third-parties' "support" turned out to be a stale guff in a warm lift, we got a year of no games and sales figures rivalling the Virtual Boy.

• Locked thread