Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Serious Cephalopod posted:

I might be confused, but I think they got a pension or his mom gave them a penny every once in a while for their tobacco and he just held off long enough to give charlie some money.

Thinking about it you're right with it being for his tobacco.

Which frankly is even more infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of like to imagine some family sitting around in the late 90s, watching that on TV, thinking it safe family film, then renting the R-rated version and being totally surprised.

My parents decided to invite my grandparents over for a family movie night to watch a tasteful British comedy they'd seen on the airplane: The Full Monty. :allears:

This happened a lot.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Least not leave out the opening/closing monologue for tv airings of The Thing. And I think some of broadcasts of Halloween actually had a scene where Michaels mask is pulled off revealing his face.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Terminal Entropy posted:

And I think some of broadcasts of Halloween actually had a scene where Michaels mask is pulled off revealing his face.

I'm pretty sure that's in every version, it's right at the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched that animated movie "Rise of the Guardians" and while I know its a kids movie they sure made the villain's plot kind of low risk. He wasn't planning on killing or even hurting anyone, his entire plot was to just make it so that the Guardians weren't believed in and that kids would be scared.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible
The squid/octopus scene was shown in TV airings of The Goonies, but most people who owned the VHS never saw that part.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I watched that animated movie "Rise of the Guardians" and while I know its a kids movie they sure made the villain's plot kind of low risk. He wasn't planning on killing or even hurting anyone, his entire plot was to just make it so that the Guardians weren't believed in and that kids would be scared.

Nothing menacing about crushing the hopes and dreams of an entire generation, only to fill that empty void once occupied by positive emotional energy with nightmarish terror and unending psychological torment. Totally low-risk.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

LeJackal posted:

Nothing menacing about crushing the hopes and dreams of an entire generation, only to fill that empty void once occupied by positive emotional energy with nightmarish terror and unending psychological torment. Totally low-risk.

Not to mention the fact that the movie explicitly says that prior to the Guardians Pitch did rule the world. It lead to people huddling in little corners and having every right to fear the dark. The entire point of his plan was that uncontested Pitch would go about hurting and terrorizing whoever he felt like.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At the very end of The Hobbit, the dwarves are dropped off on an outcropping and they see a thrush fly past them and towards The Lonely Mountain,then we see it fly through the wreckage of Dale and land on Errebor. You expect me to believe a thrush has a flight distance of hundreds and hundreds of miles? There werent any acorns to eat in your forest, you had to go Dragon Mountain? How long would it take a thrush to fly that far?
If this were an african thrush maybe, but the film gave no indication that this was anything else than a normal thrush. Bullshit!

hyperhazard posted:

My parents decided to invite my grandparents over for a family movie night to watch a tasteful British comedy they'd seen on the airplane: The Full Monty. :allears:

This happened a lot.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/family-watching-movie-whiteknuckles-it-through-une,32299/

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Aug 7, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

JediTalentAgent posted:

For those who never saw it, I think a good example of a change early on is Brody's discussion of "I farted in front of her once... She was going down on me at the time," being changed to, "I vomited in front of her once... She was going out with me at the time."

This annoys me far more than it should...but it makes no sense! I understand changing the "going down" part, but why did they change fart to vomit? They could still have left fart in! It would be humorous, though not as much, and still make sense! The vomit thing is just...like...huh?

Smiling Jack posted:

If you're from New York it makes perfect sense. As I said Rochester is a big city with a big college hockey presence and minor league hockey team, unlike Rochester MI.

It makes sense that he's referring to Rochester NY.

Right. And since the games were in Lake Placid, NY, Rochester would sort of be "up" from there (more "over" than "up," but whatever.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EdibleBodyParts posted:

The squid/octopus scene was shown in TV airings of The Goonies, but most people who owned the VHS never saw that part.

Wait - they actually released that part? drat, it's bugged me since forever that the kids at the end of the movie mentioned the fight with the octopus but I never saw that scene in the cinema, on TV or on video.

Is it on the DVD, do you know?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait - they actually released that part? drat, it's bugged me since forever that the kids at the end of the movie mentioned the fight with the octopus but I never saw that scene in the cinema, on TV or on video.

I always took it that even though they had an incredible adventure, they still couldn't resist adding something outrageous to the story. Because they're Goonies. It just fit they're character so well.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

It is, but it's not much and reminded me of the octopus scene from Popeye.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Smiling Jack posted:

If you're from New York it makes perfect sense. As I said Rochester is a big city with a big college hockey presence and minor league hockey team, unlike Rochester MI.

It makes sense that he's referring to Rochester NY.

Edit: then again, this is the irrationally irritating movie moments thread.

Also, the quote is said while they are in New York, so that's probably why he said it like that.

e: sorta beaten, whatever

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

DrBouvenstein posted:

This annoys me far more than it should...but it makes no sense! I understand changing the "going down" part, but why did they change fart to vomit? They could still have left fart in!

I think today they'd leave that in because fart jokes in even kids cartoons are more acceptable, but as I was hearing the line being delivered I was still expecting them to keep in the 'going down' bit, imagining him throwing up on her head or something.

I think of some of the more amusing cuts of the ABC version is the removal of the Universal Studios mention at the end of the movie, due to the fact that ABC was affiliated with Disney.

You know, come to think about it, I think they might have actually even changed the opening credits to remove some of the comics covers or edit them, too, for suggestive content.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

This annoys me far more than it should...but it makes no sense! I understand changing the "going down" part, but why did they change fart to vomit? They could still have left fart in! It would be humorous, though not as much, and still make sense! The vomit thing is just...like...huh?

Well, how would you fart on someone while you were going out with them? And why would it be so bad, given that we've probably all farted while cuddling with an SO? Vomiting makes more sense with the modified other half of the line.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

From a new film, The Heat. A tiny bit spoilerish.

Dude is about to kill a guy in a coma by injecting him with air. Even disregarding the normal problems with that, he proceeds to fill a syringe with air, attach a needle, and jam it randomly into the guy's arm. Completely ignoring his IV which was right next to him. At least try and get the air into his bloodstream!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jedit posted:

Well, how would you fart on someone while you were going out with them? And why would it be so bad, given that we've probably all farted while cuddling with an SO? Vomiting makes more sense with the modified other half of the line.

I sort of think they were altering the line in the first place, they probably could have just further altered the line just one tiny bit more to be, "She was dining out with me at the time." It'd be a bit more specific in creating a scenario where either farting/vomiting could further ruin a presumably pleasant and romantic experience more. You could imagine a nice meal at an upscale restaurant, expensive and fancy dish in front of her, then he lets rip with a horrible fart or pukes all over his plate.

"She was going out with me" could just be while they were dating, while they were out at a show, in a park, etc.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Aug 8, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

jabby posted:

From a new film, The Heat. A tiny bit spoilerish.

Dude is about to kill a guy in a coma by injecting him with air. Even disregarding the normal problems with that, he proceeds to fill a syringe with air, attach a needle, and jam it randomly into the guy's arm. Completely ignoring his IV which was right next to him. At least try and get the air into his bloodstream!

I remember when my mind was blown because I participated in a medical study where they IV'd what seemed like a poo poo ton of air directly into the bloodstream and watched it pass through the heard with an ultrasound and I was sure they were murdering people until someone noticed the expression on my face and explained that you would have to inject the air into the neck directly and also keep it up for a good while. That remains one of the few medical urban legends to ever get me, which made it all the more memorable.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Samfucius posted:

I remember when my mind was blown because I participated in a medical study where they IV'd what seemed like a poo poo ton of air directly into the bloodstream and watched it pass through the heard with an ultrasound and I was sure they were murdering people until someone noticed the expression on my face and explained that you would have to inject the air into the neck directly and also keep it up for a good while. That remains one of the few medical urban legends to ever get me, which made it all the more memorable.

gently caress, I remember a nurse telling me air in the bloodstream would kill you while my sister was in the hospital getting injections. I hope she was just trolling.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Lotish posted:

gently caress, I remember a nurse telling me air in the bloodstream would kill you while my sister was in the hospital getting injections. I hope she was just trolling.

Medical staff don't seem to be the best at medical things. While getting a tube inserted in my side to drain the infection from my appendicitis, the surgeon told me there was no medical need for the tube to be stitched in place but was doing it anyways as medical staff have been known to yank it out for no god drat reason if it wasn't secured with stitches.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It can kill you, but you need a shitload of air. Way more than a normal little 5cc syringe.

It's not like an insulin syringe can just pop into a vein and suddenly OH GOD I'M A GONER. It's gotta be a lot of air. Enough to displace a large amount of blood going into the heart.

Dunno if you could whack someone by injecting air into their brain via the brain stem though... Seems like it'd take less, but it'd definitely not be a quiet painless way to go.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Lotish posted:

Considering the number of people in middle school who said you could kill a woman by blowing in her vagina (IT PASSES THROUGH THE MUCOUS MEMBRANE DIRECTLY INTO THE BLOOD STREAM!!!) I think it's just one of those pieces of cultural "knowledge".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It can kill you, but you need a shitload of air. Way more than a normal little 5cc syringe.

It's not like an insulin syringe can just pop into a vein and suddenly OH GOD I'M A GONER. It's gotta be a lot of air. Enough to displace a large amount of blood going into the heart.

Dunno if you could whack someone by injecting air into their brain via the brain stem though... Seems like it'd take less, but it'd definitely not be a quiet painless way to go.

Given that insulin syringes are not designed to be anywhere near the blood stream, you would have bigger problems anyways. In order to kill you by way of the heart you would have to fill the entire right ventricle with air, and based on what I saw during that study your heart is really loving good at obliterating air bubbles into a thousand tiny bubbles that disperse super fast.

Wikipedia says that you need 2mL of air in your brain to die.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Terminal Entropy posted:

Medical staff don't seem to be the best at medical things.

There's a reason there are a ton of "nurse tries to one-up doctor, fails miserably" jokes out there. Knew an RN who told her daughter that if someone is coughing and can't talk, they are choking and you should start the Heimlich immediately even if they wave you off because she's an RN and knows better than the person who is aware of whether or not they are breathing. On the "air in the bloodstream" front, knew another RN who claimed that a guy could give a woman a fatal embolism if he exhaled while performing oral sex on her (EDIT: holy shitballs Samfucius beat me on this exact thing).

So no surprise that people with even less medical education get that poo poo wrong all the time. In fact, I'd say it's rationally irritating.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

(EDIT: holy shitballs Samfucius beat me on this exact thing).

Hahaha, I saw that you wrote this in preview while I was quoting you to laugh at how we both went the exact same place. What a weird, widespread thing to say.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only movie I saw that got the air thing right was The Puppet Masters.

Guy with the sunglasses from Law and Order offs himself by emptying a big IV bag, inflating it, and hooking it back up and pushing all the air from it into his IV.

The only irrationally irritating part of it (for me) was that he should have blown the vein out way before he died.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Injecting it into an artery can cause problems because the embolism can block the blood flow to whatever that artery ends up feeding. But yeeh, if you're doing it to a vein to stop the heart that ain't gonna work.

Samfucius posted:

Considering the number of people in middle school who said you could kill a woman by blowing in her vagina (IT PASSES THROUGH THE MUCOUS MEMBRANE DIRECTLY INTO THE BLOOD STREAM!!!) I think it's just one of those pieces of cultural "knowledge".

That's actually a real thing. You can kill a woman by blowing in her vagina if she's pregnant, but it's very rare (of course, so's the blowing air into the vagina part, is that really a common cunnilingual technique?).

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I think the only time I've seen the air in the iv thing was in Apt Pupil, where a Nazi gets found out while he's in the hospital. Rather than get shipped off to Israel or whatever, he blows into his iv tube for a bit then grabs his chest in agony as the heart monitor and other beeping poo poo goes crazy.

A year or two ago I was getting an iv put in and I saw bubbles moving in the tube and I asked the nurse, "Those air bubbles are harmless right? cause i saw this movie..." She laughed and said I'd be fine. :shobon:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

That's actually a real thing. You can kill a woman by blowing in her vagina if she's pregnant, but it's very rare (of course, so's the blowing air into the vagina part, is that really a common cunnilingual technique?).

It was in a Chuck Palahniuk book so I'm sure it's widely practiced by gay men.

Or idiot virgins. One of those.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

The entire movie has irritating moments for me, the biggest offender is at the climax when all the kids are fighting against pitch they are literally in thier pajamas and shoeless in the snow.

The other for me is the entirety of the tooth fairy, how can no one believe her if the parents are obviously not the ones putting the coins under the pillow? doesn't it kind of prove the existence of her?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phanatic posted:

Women love it when you try to inflate them like a balloon.

Pixeltendo posted:

The other for me is the entirety of the tooth fairy, how can no one believe her if the parents are obviously not the ones putting the coins under the pillow? doesn't it kind of prove the existence of her?

Every movie where Santa Claus unexpectedly turns out to be real. If none of the adults believed in him, where did they think all the presents were coming from? Also, every movie where supernatural stuff just happens all the time but no one believes in it. How does it go completely unnoticed by almost everyone for thousands of years?

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Every movie where Santa Claus unexpectedly turns out to be real. If none of the adults believed in him, where did they think all the presents were coming from?

I don't remember in what movie, but I think I've seen this waved off by having each parent think the other one was buying the presents.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
God help me, I started to try to imagine a scenario where Santa was a real thing and hated by most of the world's government for violating their borders, importing contraband materials, screwing up the economy, etc. Privately, many politicians would consider the North Pole part of the same Axis of Evil that is Iran and North Korea, citing his proven violation of the laws, airspace and borders of several nations.

Also, because Santa is completely aware of naughty/nice, there is a depressing sense of self-loathing among the population as they are all acutely aware of their own sins and mistakes that lead to them getting judged once a year as undeserving of gifts. This also leads to people buying gifts to give themselves or their children to create a false impression to that they are decent people who actual got REAL gifts from Santa, proving their decency.

So powerful is the sway Santa has over the world that leaders actually would have to fake getting gifts from him every year to 'prove' they're good people to the voting public.

Eventually, the various governments would have to decide to kill Santa to end the power his existence has over them, leading to a full on conflict between them and the North Pole in the days leading up to Dec. 25th. A literal "War on Christmas."

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

So powerful is the sway Santa has over the world that leaders actually would have to fake getting gifts from him every year to 'prove' they're good people to the voting public.

If there was a mockumentary about just this part on Netflix, I'd watch it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Heres Hank posted:

If there was a mockumentary about just this part on Netflix, I'd watch it.

There is a short video of a guy (comedian?) talking about how he'd ask odd questions of taxi drivers when he traveled.

If I remember right, he would ask what they know about Santa Claus (Father Christmas, Pere Noel, Saint Nicholas &c) and in some places they would tell him that he lived in Spain or Italy or Kazakhstan and were surprised or even offended that North Americans assume he lives on the North Pole because that's frankly ridiculous.

Anyone remember that or have a link?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Santa is the power behind the illuminati. It makes perfect sense.

carnivaljunkie
Apr 7, 2006

What's it like in funny little brains? It must be so boring.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Right. And since the games were in Lake Placid, NY, Rochester would sort of be "up" from there (more "over" than "up," but whatever.)

I'll just throw in my two cents here. I haven't seen Miracle all the way through so I'm not entirely sure on the context of the quote. But regardless, I never see anything wrong with using "up" even if it isn't geographically accurate. That's most likely due to the fact that I'm from the south, so most of my life, things were "up" to me and it stuck. I moved to Ohio for a while and would refer to my family being "up in Tennessee still". It just becomes habit. Didn't realize it bugged people so much though!

Edit:

syscall girl posted:

There is a short video of a guy (comedian?) talking about how he'd ask odd questions of taxi drivers when he traveled.

If I remember right, he would ask what they know about Santa Claus (Father Christmas, Pere Noel, Saint Nicholas &c) and in some places they would tell him that he lived in Spain or Italy or Kazakhstan and were surprised or even offended that North Americans assume he lives on the North Pole because that's frankly ridiculous.

I believe you're thinking of "Six to Eight Black Men" by David Sedaris.

carnivaljunkie has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Aug 8, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

syscall girl posted:

6 to 8 black men on youtube possibly

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYdpte1W0vk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

6 to 8 black men on youtube possibly

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYdpte1W0vk

Thanks, that's the one. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
From the new movie RED 2 not really a spoiler but I'll spoiler it anyway since some people don't want to know anything about new movies.

There is a bit of Chekov's Gun fuckery, at one point the Russian dude gives our intrepid heroes poison pills, it's a scene that takes almost a minute where he talks on and on about the pills. Then, the pills are never brought up again. We kept waiting for them to get shoved into a bad guys mouth or something, or even a sight gag referencing them but no. It was strange how much that little bit pulled you out, and made you say, "What was the deal with that?" when walking out of the theatre. I never thought it would make that big of a difference, but there was something in the way it was presented.

• Locked thread