Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

triple clutcher posted:

what are my options for a good, mindless match-3? I'm looking for something that scratches the same itch as the first Puzzle Quest did.

Dungeon Raid is a must play for everyone.

As for something that's literally a match 3 game, scurvy scalleywags is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ugh, gently caress you guys for saying Fairway Solitaire is free. It's been 12 hours and I'm already addicted.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
just to make sure I have my terms correct -- is match-3 the 'flippy' type of game ( like Puzzle Quest ) or the 'draggy' type ( like Dungeon Raid or Puzzle Craft )?

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

triple clutcher posted:

just to make sure I have my terms correct -- is match-3 the 'flippy' type of game ( like Puzzle Quest ) or the 'draggy' type ( like Dungeon Raid or Puzzle Craft )?

I think people use the term for both. Scurvy Scalleywags is the former while 10000000 is the latter

I remember that Babo game being a pretty good flippy match 3 also, though there may be better options these days

Edit: this is the one I mean
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/babo-crash/id406716669?mt=8

Quickpull fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 6, 2013

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
okay, then I guess I'm looking for flippy match-3 ... already quite addicted to Dungeon Raid and Puzzle Craft, haha

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Avadon and Avernum are both iOS RPG's and are pretty good, albiet old school. Not JRPG at all.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
In Plague, Inc what determines when you're generating DNA points and how many you're generating? (besides popping bubbles).

I came really close to winning but stopped generating DNA points, which was really frustrating.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You get DNA points for infecting people and killing people, popping yellow and red bubbles. The general tactic to focus solely on infectious news and only once you've infected the whole world to start killing people is pretty good, but you need to remember to keep some in reserve for the lethality upgrades.

Kill people, and use the new DNA to fight the cure and kill more people.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

SpookyLizard posted:

You get DNA points for infecting people and killing people, popping yellow and red bubbles. The general tactic to focus solely on infectious news and only once you've infected the whole world to start killing people is pretty good, but you need to remember to keep some in reserve for the lethality upgrades.

Kill people, and use the new DNA to fight the cure and kill more people.

Weird, I was killing an awful lot of people but not generating many DNA points from it. Like I wiped out 3/4 of the population and generated hardly any DNA points from it (playing on normal)

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

theblackw0lf posted:

Weird, I was killing an awful lot of people but not generating many DNA points from it. Like I wiped out 3/4 of the population and generated hardly any DNA points from it (playing on normal)

My memory may be off, but I thought you got DNA for infections, not deaths.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Add me for Simpsons: Tapped Out

Origin ID: Zander747

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Shwqa posted:

Oh man I forgot how great the writing in the world ends with you was. Joshua is such a great rear end in a top hat, especially if you know his backstory, I'm gonna make him wear socks with sandals and a track suit as revenge :getin:

Also the math puns as always great.

If you like rpg pick the world ends with you while its still on sale.

Are you on iPhone? How does it control when your finger covers up the screen? I have an iPad, but I'd like to get my TWEWY on while I'm on the go.

PS In on the Transport Tycoon beta. :getin:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

theblackw0lf posted:

In Plague, Inc what determines when you're generating DNA points and how many you're generating? (besides popping bubbles).

I came really close to winning but stopped generating DNA points, which was really frustrating.

DNA comes from infections, which means that at some point you'll have infected the entire world (or hosed up and infected as much of the world as possible after getting locked out of madagascar or australia) and DNA growth with slow and then stop. You'll never get enough DNA to evolve every symptom, so you need to plan ahead a bit.

Different plague types have some slightly different mechanics, and its been a while since I've played it so I can't recall which is which, but one of the more basic types will refund your DNA points for devolving symptoms, so you can go all out with contagiousness, then devolve everything and re-evolve for lethality. Most other types will require you to pick-and-choose your symptoms in advance or you'll run into the situation you're in now.

It's sort of unfortunate that the winning strategy is so simple and almost identical for every form, because the concept is really neat. The only significant shakeups in the formula are the ones with timers attached (IIRC there's one where a cure is already being researched when you start and one where everyone infected will be instantly killed after a certain time, but maybe I'm confusing the mechanics of one type into two) and the special types like the brainworms and zombies. But even for those, the strategies are barely different.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 6, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

DNA comes from infections, which means that at some point you'll have infected the entire world (or hosed up and infected as much of the world as possible after getting locked out of madagascar or australia) and DNA growth with slow and then stop. You'll never get enough DNA to evolve every symptom, so you need to plan ahead a bit.

Different plague types have some slightly different mechanics, and its been a while since I've played it so I can't recall which is which, but one of the more basic types will refund your DNA points for devolving symptoms, so you can go all out with contagiousness, then devolve everything and re-evolve for lethality. Most other types will require you to pick-and-choose your symptoms in advance or you'll run into the situation you're in now.

It's sort of unfortunate that the winning strategy is so simple and almost identical for every form, because the concept is really neat. The only significant shakeups in the formula are the ones with timers attached (IIRC there's one where a cure is already being researched when you start and one where everyone infected will be instantly killed after a certain time, but maybe I'm confusing the mechanics of one type into two) and the special types like the brainworms and zombies. But even for those, the strategies are barely different.

If you're super patient (and not using virus) you can still get dna by removing unwanted symptoms when you mutate them.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There's Also a RNA thing that will give you more DNA for devolving and another at keeps it from increasing the devolve cost.

The game is super easy with minimal difference between different plagues.

Also, I apparent,y just got into the travel tycoon beta. :toot:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
More XCOM chat:

I just lost half of my veterans on my first non-tutorial play through. Is this cause for a wipe or just push forward and take the beating as another lesson? I feel like I'm constantly treading water so not sure if I'm advancing the story too fast or just not picking the right builds.

That battle sucked, first time those big rear end brutes came at me and THEY CAN HOP loving WALLS.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

No retreat. No surrender.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soldier on til the earth burns. :getin:

That said I'm actually doing much better on the ipad. It's much easier to just chill out and take my time. On the desktop I'm impatient as hell and get everyone killed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SynthOrange posted:

Soldier on til the earth burns. :getin:

That said I'm actually doing much better on the ipad. It's much easier to just chill out and take my time. On the desktop I'm impatient as hell and get everyone killed.

I have XCOM in my Steam inventory from the sale that just passed. Thinking about selling that off as the iPad is such a nice experience. What else does the PC version offer that the iPad doesn't? I'm not likely to dive so deep into the game that I'll do any mods and most likely not multiplayer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hats, hair and armor customization. That's the only thing I really miss out of the PC experience. Oh and the nicer graphics, but I've seen enough of them that I can deal with the lower-fi ipad ones. With the last update it's pretty much there except for those two things.

I never really touched multiplayer since you'd always end up with a jerk that hides in a corner for the whole game. :v:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

TraderStav posted:

More XCOM chat:

I just lost half of my veterans on my first non-tutorial play through. Is this cause for a wipe or just push forward and take the beating as another lesson? I feel like I'm constantly treading water so not sure if I'm advancing the story too fast or just not picking the right builds.

That battle sucked, first time those big rear end brutes came at me and THEY CAN HOP loving WALLS.

I am pushing through and doing terrible but having so much fun doing it. I think I have one sniper that has survived enough missions to be leveled up a couple of levels, most others are alien bullet sponges. I know that praise never stopped for this game but if I realized just how much fun it was I would have bought it long ago. My only gripe is that it is unplayable for me on the iphone 5 so I am hauling my ipad around with me wherever I go now.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Boxman posted:

Are you on iPhone? How does it control when your finger covers up the screen? I have an iPad, but I'd like to get my TWEWY on while I'm on the go.

PS In on the Transport Tycoon beta. :getin:

Sorry I'm on the ipad. But I would guess the game plays well with iPhone, the DS screen was a similar size.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Vlambeer appear to think updating is an eccentric minigame.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Corridor posted:

I'm hungry for some decent RPGs with lots of questy stuff, like The Quest or Undercroft. Any suggestions?

Please don't recommend JRPGs. I'm still burned out on those loving things from my teens. (e. unless they're really good)

Sounds like Questlord might be up your alley.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
marshmonkey has been drawing some sweet looking TRAINZ! Hoping to start a beta at the end of this week!

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

eeenmachine posted:

marshmonkey has been drawing some sweet looking TRAINZ! Hoping to start a beta at the end of this week!

Way to pander to the masses.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Comrade Flynn posted:

Way to pander to the masses.

Draw trains, make money, get pussy

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Autism Spectrum Disorder: The Game

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

teacup posted:

Hey I'm on an iPad 2 that I bought off my sister and I promptly jail broke. Is there any jail breaking app that can make iPhone apps I have already bought appear not awfully on my iPad? Please let my know if this is too files chat but I have already bought games like the world ends with you and having them appear like complete rear end on the iPad just feels so cheap and lovely to me.

There used to be something called RetinaPad that would force iPhone apps to use their retina assets, if they were available, which is a little smaller than full size for first and second gen iPads native res. I've never used it, but people were having positive results with it and NBA Jam a million years ago when that first came out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I hope there's an easter egg where your trains appear upside down with screaming passengers.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I hope there's an easter egg where your trains appear upside down with screaming passengers.

I hope there is a Back to the Future 2-style train that can take off and fly around and deliver passengers and cargo like a plane.

So very excited for new NimbleBit.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

eeenmachine posted:

Aaaaaahhhhhhh I'm so excited

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

No offense but it looks like your last plane game except you're in a train

Then again I'm basing this off of one screenshot

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I think they'd agree with you wholeheartedly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

No offense but it looks like your last plane game except you're in a train

Then again I'm basing this off of one screenshot

Spoiler alert, the plane game was a train game before it became a plane game!

Hopefully this iteration allows you to draw routes.. otherwise I'm not sure what the point is other than TRAINNNS.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

xzzy posted:

otherwise I'm not sure what the point is other than TRAINNNS.
You're vastly underestimating the contingent of autism spectrum iOS gamers, and their desire for a train game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't doubt that, I love me some trains too. But I know nimblebit can do more, and I wanna see it.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

Spoiler alert, the plane game was a train game before it became a plane game!

Hopefully this iteration allows you to draw routes.. otherwise I'm not sure what the point is other than TRAINNNS.

It takes a lot more strategy to efficiently get jobs from Point A to Point B in Pocket Trains.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Shalinor posted:

You're vastly underestimating the contingent of autism spectrum iOS gamers, and their desire for a train game.

I want a train game like that but not made by nimblebit

I want a train game so hard you don't even know

you don't even know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Here's a game involving trains made by the dude who wrote Futile: http://trainyard.ca/

• Locked thread