Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Arg I'm going back and forth trying to get this microchip assigned to me. HomeAgain won't let me register it on the site saying my information is invalid so I'm wondering if they need to reset the chip? I really don't know how these things work. I just don't want her going back to the shelter if I ever lose her. KY Humane told me to contact Lou. Metro and Lou Metro told me to contact KHS.

All fixed yay

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

a life less posted:

I'd call animal control. It's probably going to be the first place the dog's owners call. If you're worried about her, have them put a note in her file for them to call you before they put her up for adoption/euth if that's what you want. I did that once. AC was kind enough to call me to let me know that the dog's owners came for it at the pound.
Called AC and left a note with them that I found a female German Shepherd. Shes at the vet right now getting that skin thing taken care of. Unfortunately she wasn't microchipped. I'll toss up a craigslist ad and put up some flyers. A colleague randomly knew of a woman at a shop next to my work that is big with the German Shepherd community around here, so she's going to send an email out to a bunch of people.

If no owner pops up, I wonder if it'd be good or bad for my current dog.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

My wife and I saved some robin babies whose nest was destroyed by a cat, and half the babies were killed. We put them in a bucket with shredded newspaper and it seems like the mother is still coming to feed them, but now the bucket is getting saturated with feces. We're unsure what to do because we would like to minimize contact with them and not have to change their newspaper every other day. Any suggestions appreciated!

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
We found a mass in one of my dog's mammary glands last night. Her age and history make her a prime candidate for it being cancerous (though we have fingers crossed that it's benign.)

We have a vet appointment tomorrow at 1:30pm. Are there any questions I should make sure are asked and/or any tests I should push for?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Esmerelda posted:

We found a mass in one of my dog's mammary glands last night. Her age and history make her a prime candidate for it being cancerous (though we have fingers crossed that it's benign.)

We have a vet appointment tomorrow at 1:30pm. Are there any questions I should make sure are asked and/or any tests I should push for?

I always like to check for metastasis prior to putting a dog through tumor surgery (and paying for it). Any lump you take off, particularly a mammary lump, should be sent to a pathologist so you know whether it was benign or malignant and whether all of it was removed.

Depending on her age and general health, your vet will likely also recommend some amount of pre-surgical bloodwork.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Dr. Chaco posted:

I always like to check for metastasis prior to putting a dog through tumor surgery (and paying for it). Any lump you take off, particularly a mammary lump, should be sent to a pathologist so you know whether it was benign or malignant and whether all of it was removed.

Depending on her age and general health, your vet will likely also recommend some amount of pre-surgical bloodwork.
Thanks!

She'll be 9 in November, she was only spayed this past March (because her former owner was a moron) and she was in heat at the time. She was just put on rimadyl for arthritis in one of her knees around 3 weeks ago. She had blood tests for liver and kidney function (maybe something else too, pancreatic function?) to have a baseline to compare to after taking her pain meds for a while and everything came out great as far as those tests were concerned.

I'm expecting then either an x-ray or other scan to see if it has spread/is elsewhere. Is it common to run other diagnostic blood work to help figure out what is going on or would, upon a clean x-ray/whatever scan, before scheduling a lumpectomy?

Esmerelda fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 19, 2013

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Esmerelda posted:

Thanks!

She'll be 9 in November, she was only spayed this past March (because her former owner was a moron) and she was in heat at the time. She was just put on rimadyl for arthritis in one of her knees around 3 weeks ago. She had blood tests for liver and kidney function (maybe something else too, pancreatic function?) to have a baseline to compare to after taking her pain meds for a while and everything came out great as far as those tests were concerned.

I'm expecting then either an x-ray or other scan to see if it has spread/is elsewhere. Is it common to run other diagnostic blood work to help figure out what is going on or would, upon a clean x-ray/whatever scan, before scheduling a lumpectomy?

The bloodwork won't tell you much about tumor spread, but it will assess liver and kidney function prior to any anesthesia. To look specifically for tumor metastasis, you need imaging (x-rays and/or ultrasound). You can also try to sample lymph nodes the tumor might have drained too, but that can be tricky with mammary tumors because the draining patterns isn't always predictable and those lymph nodes aren't always easy to find/access.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Dr. Chaco posted:

The bloodwork won't tell you much about tumor spread, but it will assess liver and kidney function prior to any anesthesia. To look specifically for tumor metastasis, you need imaging (x-rays and/or ultrasound). You can also try to sample lymph nodes the tumor might have drained too, but that can be tricky with mammary tumors because the draining patterns isn't always predictable and those lymph nodes aren't always easy to find/access.
Again, thanks! I'm expecting an x-ray and/or an ultrasound tomorrow and then we go from there. Until then, fingers crossed that it hasn't spread or, best case, she gets the tumor removed and it is benign.

This is the hardest part. Once we know what we're dealing with we can focus on doing just that. Right now it's all just maybe's and what if's :(

*edit*
X-ray done, nothing abnormal spotted but it will be gone over by their radiologist on Monday to be sure. We have surgery scheduled for Friday to remove the tumor and a couple of other glands in the chain as well as a precaution. We'll have the tumor tested to see if we're dealing with cancer or not.

So far, as much as this can be good news, I'm feeling much more positive than I was.

Esmerelda fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 21, 2013

blue urban dream
Aug 8, 2011
Are there any problems with soft crates other than that some dogs chew through them? Like, safety concerns?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

For everyday use, I think a metal crate is probably best. It's solid, easy to clean and has great ventilation.

I find that my soft sided crate gets kind of stinky after housing a dog for a prolonged period of time, and it gets noticeably hotter in there with a dog in it. I think they're best used for short periods like while traveling. Not sure about safety concerns.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I personally like the plastic crates better. I used to be all for wire crates... and then I got Dexter. With the wire crate, he could scoot the crate and pull things into the crate from outside. He also learned how to open the door and let himself out, and he almost collapsed the crate on himself while trying to escape when I clipped the latch down. When I talked to our flyball trainer about it, she said she has heard stories of dogs dying this way, so make sure you zip tie them or something if you go the metal route. I just wash the bedding when it starts getting funky, wipe the crate down often and point a fan near the crate. Dexter also enjoys the cave-like feel of the plastic crate more.

The only negative I can see is the plastic crate cannot be collapsed and is pretty bulky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gTM1G7pcag
Skip to 3:00 and see the dog being a poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

cryingscarf posted:

I personally like the plastic crates better. I used to be all for wire crates... and then I got Dexter. With the wire crate, he could scoot the crate and pull things into the crate from outside. He also learned how to open the door and let himself out, and he almost collapsed the crate on himself while trying to escape when I clipped the latch down. When I talked to our flyball trainer about it, she said she has heard stories of dogs dying this way, so make sure you zip tie them or something if you go the metal route. I just wash the bedding when it starts getting funky, wipe the crate down often and point a fan near the crate. Dexter also enjoys the cave-like feel of the plastic crate more.

The only negative I can see is the plastic crate cannot be collapsed and is pretty bulky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gTM1G7pcag
Skip to 3:00 and see the dog being a poo poo.

My pointer found out how to open her crate as well. Two carabiners on the door where the latches are stopped that pretty quick.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Bovril Delight posted:

My pointer found out how to open her crate as well. Two carabiners on the door where the latches are stopped that pretty quick.

I put a carabiner on the latch and he got it off. So I got one that screwed shut and when I came home he had unscrewed it, almost got it off the latch, pushed the crate tray out and across the room into a water bowl (spilling it everywhere), scooted the crate a foot or two away and pulled a laptop charger into his crate while still plugged into the wall, and then almost collapsed it on himself. He's a determined little poo poo. :sigh:

With the plastic crate, he will bump the crate around until anything on top of the crate falls between the crate and the wall and then start pulling it in through the side holes. Thankfully he doesn't try to bust out anymore and the pulling items into the crate thing is pretty easy to fix.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

My 7-year-old tabby was diagnosed with lymphoma recently. I've opted not to do chemo; she's currently on 5mg Prednisolone twice a day. Anyway, leading up to the diagnosis and for a few days after a blood transfusion she'd not been eating very much (some days not at all), so I'd gotten into the habit of putting food and treats all over the place to encourage her. So cut to a few weeks later, not only is my other cat the size of a house from helping himself to treats, but the cat with cancer seems to be stable and eating well. When I took her home after the blood transfusion (for extreme anemia) I was sure I was looking at her last days. But now I'm concerned that since she's hanging on and has her appetite back (probably from the Prednisolone I would guess) I should be concentrating on making sure she's eating the right foods for however long she is here. She eats Royal Canin urinary formula dry because she's prone to UTIs, and like 4 kinds of treats that I'm sure are all not super-healthy. Plus canned pumpkin. Both my cats love it for some reason.

Is there a food or a diet or some suggestion people have for cats with cancer? I Google'd but I couldn't come up with a consensus, and it's hard to filter out all the bullshit reviews for products.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Sorry to hear about your cat's cancer. :( I don't know if you saw an oncologist or a GP vet so I don't know what was discussed with you, but (and this depends also on the type of lymphoma) with Prednisolone alone the median survival time is simply not long enough (month or two) to really be that concerned about what the cat is eating. Let the cat eat whatever she wants, honestly, that will keep her taking in enough food.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 28, 2013

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Topoisomerase posted:

Sorry to hear about your cat's cancer. :( I don't know if you saw an oncologist or a GP vet so I don't know what was discussed with you, but (and this depends also on the type of lymphoma) with Prednisolone alone the median survival time is simply not long enough (month or two) to really be that concerned about what the cat is eating. Let the cat eat whatever she wants, honestly, that will keep her taking in enough food.

Thanks. Yeah I feel like she's declined just in the past few hours, actually. It's weird, earlier today you wouldn't have known anything was wrong, and then sometimes, like now, she'll just sit there and basically not move or meow for hours. Which is really striking for her because she's normally very active (like constantly getting into everything all the time) and chatty. It's hard to know exactly when it's time to let her go, because it seems like she keeps having "good" periods. I just don't want her to suffer at all if I can help it.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
How long does it take for shaved fur to completely grow back? Just curious how long my Shep mix will be rockin' a bald tummy. (She was spayed in early May.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nyarai posted:

How long does it take for shaved fur to completely grow back? Just curious how long my Shep mix will be rockin' a bald tummy. (She was spayed in early May.)

My pointer has a shaved patch where her epidural was and at 3 months its almost back.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
In my experience it depends on the season. If they're actively blowing a coat and growing a new one in the bald patch doesn't last very long, but if it's between sheds it'll take forever to grow back.

My horse rocked a bald patch for what seemed like forever when he needed a window shaved into his hair to get an ultrasound in the middle of winter, but it disappeared as soon as he blew his winter coat and grew in his summer coat.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Just to update from my earlier post: I had her put to sleep this afternoon. It doesn't seem totally real yet, but she began to decline so rapidly and today for the first time I really felt like she might be in some kind of pain or real discomfort, so I felt like I had no choice.

Undead Waterfowl
Dec 29, 2008

Smeep posted:

Just to update from my earlier post: I had her put to sleep this afternoon. It doesn't seem totally real yet, but she began to decline so rapidly and today for the first time I really felt like she might be in some kind of pain or real discomfort, so I felt like I had no choice.

:sympathy: I'm sorry to hear that. That's always the hardest part to me, too. You knew her better than anyone, so I'm sure you made the right choice no matter how hard it was for you.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Nyarai posted:

My 3.5 year old Vallhund is still way shorter haired where she was shaved for her spay 2.5 years ago. The first year it almost stayed bald, took a full coat/blow coat/coat up/blow coat again cycle for it to start looking normal.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My parents have two cats. They're about 10 years old now and they recently stopped using the litter box half the time. One will piss on rugs and towels left on the floor and poop in the litter box and the other one pees in the litter box but poops wherever it wants. We have no idea why they started doing this.

Any idea on how to get them to ALWAYS use the litter box like they did for 99% of their lives?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Mustang posted:

My parents have two cats. They're about 10 years old now and they recently stopped using the litter box half the time. One will piss on rugs and towels left on the floor and poop in the litter box and the other one pees in the litter box but poops wherever it wants. We have no idea why they started doing this.

Any idea on how to get them to ALWAYS use the litter box like they did for 99% of their lives?

Cat Attract

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Mustang posted:

How many boxes do they have? Where are the boxes located? How often are they cleaned per day? Have there been any recent changes to anything at all?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My parents have a screened in enclosure around their back porch/pool and the litter box is out there. There's just one litter box and it's cleaned every day. I asked my parents if anything has changed and my dad seems to think that the one starting pooping outside the litter box because the other cat ambushed him while he was taking a poo poo one day. They get along but the one that pisses on rugs is kind of a dick and will sneak up/stalk the other cat sometimes.

The one that pisses on rugs always does this weird thing where he uses his claws and it leaves the rugs all scrunched up. You can always tell a rug has been pissed on because it's scrunched up on the floor and not where it's supposed to be.

I'll tell my parents to try that cat attract stuff, thanks.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Mustang posted:

I asked my parents if anything has changed and my dad seems to think that the one starting pooping outside the litter box because the other cat ambushed him while he was taking a poo poo one day. They get along but the one that pisses on rugs is kind of a dick and will sneak up/stalk the other cat sometimes.

Yeah that could do it. It's possible that they may even be having staredowns over the litter box so the other cat wants to go somewhere else. Is it possible to add a second box in a different location so he has another choice? Maybe covered or something so he won't get ambushed?

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
Should I get my pet microchipped? How much canned food should a cat eat in a day?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

ZoneManagement posted:

Should I get my pet microchipped? How much canned food should a cat eat in a day?

Yes, you should (and register the chip with your info, and keep it up to date or the chip isn't doing any good). The cat should eat as much food as makes it not skinny and not fat--for my cats and their food that's 3/4 can per day each, but that will vary depending on the cat's metabolism and the type of food.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Keep hearing people claim cancer. Also - can my dog run with me? He's about 3, he's not overweight at all, but he's also never done anything more than walk with me for a couple of miles. I need the exercise. He's (what appears to be) mostly a black lab, maybe 45 or so pounds?

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
I had to go to a pet store in Galway today to get some dog food and I saw they had meerkats for sale as pets? This seems like a really bad idea and I can't imagine that it will end well. What the gently caress? Is this a new thing?

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

ZoneManagement posted:

Keep hearing people claim cancer. Also - can my dog run with me? He's about 3, he's not overweight at all, but he's also never done anything more than walk with me for a couple of miles. I need the exercise. He's (what appears to be) mostly a black lab, maybe 45 or so pounds?

He's...he's a dog. Yes. Run with dat dawg, but bring water with you to give him and watch him for signs of exhaustion, dehydration or overheating. He is probably in much better shape than you (he's also probably fat though because he has lab in him). Only you can accurately judge your dog's physical condition though because we are the Internet.

Dogs don't always break when you ask them to move off the couch, you can Do A Thing with a dog.

To your earlier question, my 7-8lb cat eats less than a quarter can of wet cat food a day but I supplement with dry. It depends on the brand and the cat.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
He's actually rather skinny. He loves to eat, but never overdoes it. I am taking him to the vet next week just cause he's so skinny.

He can outsprint me but not out long distance me right now. Not that that's saying much either way.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Dandy Shrew posted:

I had to go to a pet store in Galway today to get some dog food and I saw they had meerkats for sale as pets? This seems like a really bad idea and I can't imagine that it will end well. What the gently caress? Is this a new thing?

Personality wise I think they'd probably be fine, since they're a social species, and there are lots of examples of both wild and zoo meerkats being super friendly with humans. But they need a pretty darn big living space and they're very active tunnelers, so I imagine they would wreck your house, and I would be worried about providing them a proper diet.

I've never seen one in a pet store, but I've seen prairie dogs, so not much surprises me these days.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
We adopted a fiveish year old dachshund beagle mix from an abusive home a couple of months ago. He's been wonderful for the most part, but over the last three to four weeks he's started balding on his chest and stomach.

He now has a totally bald patch about 3 inches across. My question is, should I be worried or is balding common in older dogs? My past dogs never had this problem, and we had them until they died of old age, but 2 isn't exactly a huge sample size.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My friend's Iggy had balding like that and it turned out to be a symptom of thyroid problems, so you might want to take him in for some non-emergency bloodwork.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

We adopted a fiveish year old dachshund beagle mix from an abusive home a couple of months ago. He's been wonderful for the most part, but over the last three to four weeks he's started balding on his chest and stomach.

He now has a totally bald patch about 3 inches across. My question is, should I be worried or is balding common in older dogs? My past dogs never had this problem, and we had them until they died of old age, but 2 isn't exactly a huge sample size.

Hair loss is usually a medical problem, and 5 isn't old.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

I would go to the vet, but for what it's worth my dachshund has a 4 inch bald patch on her stomach that started when she was... I think 3 or 4? Partly from rubbing her belly on everything constantly. At that time we were just discovering that she had food allergies and she was rubbing herself on the furniture and her bed and crate and everything else when we weren't looking. She's 12 or 13 now and perfectly healthy, but still bald.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

My 7 year old dog is suddenly blind, and am looking for advice, support, resources, etc. What she's been diagnosed with today is "sudden acquired retinal degeneration". I'm lucky that the emergency vet clinic we went to actually had a ophthalmology specialist there who examined Fern. It's possible that she's been having some vision problems of late, but the signs aren't anything you would think twice about otherwise. We ended up at the e-vet because when she came in from her usual afternoon nap on the back porch, it was absolutely clear that that she couldn't see at all. I was told there are some additional testing that we can do, but essentially this is irreversible blindness and she's healthy in every other way.

We've got two other dogs, plus a toddler, and we all live in a three story house with a spacious back yard. I'm still a little in shock and trying to figure out how we need to change things around for her. Tomorrow morning I'm getting her a new crate or kennel to put in my office on the main floor. Usually she gets crated in the basement, and then sleeps at night in our 2nd floor bedroom. I'm not sure if I'm going to change where she sleeps at night, or not. I'd hate to separate her from the others at night. Going to get the attached water bottle do-dad for the new kennel so she can get to her water more easily as well. What else do I need to do right now? Is there a blind dog thread somewhere?

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

My 10 year old dachsund has a balding, not bald, chest. Vet didn't seem worried at the last visit. I guess she's just a hair-dog, and rubs her chest on everything - like dudes with bald ankles where their socks rub.