Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

swickles posted:

Hey, I was born in Johnstown! Incidentally 3 of my cousins went to school on athletic scholarships (football even!) from Johnstown, just not to Ivy League schools so yeah, they are somehow the victims of race.

That's because Ivies don't hand out merit-based scholarships, including athletic scholarships. In a post full of wrong, he couldn't even get his rhetoric right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

swickles posted:

Hey, I was born in Johnstown! Incidentally 3 of my cousins went to school on athletic scholarships (football even!) from Johnstown, just not to Ivy League schools so yeah, they are somehow the victims of race.

From Altoona myself. Seems really weird to see my town mentioned as a shithole of white poverty.

I mean, it is, but still.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
He is right about one thing. After the Duke Lacrosse case Al Sharpton should never have been allowed to speak in public again.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
When describing the the Miami Dolphins in his "annual preview", a poster on FinHeaven who constantly will remind you he just "Says the truth" and always "gets real" decided to say these gems

quote:

DL - This unit has been the strength of this team for several years now. The problem for the rest of the league is that it just got better. This unit may be the best in the NFL. But, it might not be just the best DL in the league. This group has a shot to be the best unit of all units for any team in the league. The depth that has been added to the Dolphins DL is insane. The Dolphins 2nd team DL could arguably be one of the best DLs in the league themselves. This whole group is nothing short of outstanding.

quote:

The big question marks on the line are LT and RG. Jon Martin takes over for Jake Wrong at the LT spot after playing RT for most of last season. While Martin wasnt outstanding at either T spot last season, he wasnt the worst in the league either

Well, he's right. Martin wasn't the worst. According to PFF, he was only the second to worst

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ribsauce posted:

He is right about one thing. After the Duke Lacrosse case Al Sharpton should never have been allowed to speak in public again.

Ehhhhhhhh you could've said the same thing after Tawana Bradley.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

AAA DOLFAN posted:

When describing the the Miami Dolphins in his "annual preview", a poster on FinHeaven who constantly will remind you he just "Says the truth" and always "gets real" decided to say these gems

I didn't think it was possible to fit that many contradictions into so few sentences.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Well, he's right. Martin wasn't the worst. According to PFF, he was only the second to worst

Why does this sound exactly like the Gang Greene Nation posts when it was thought Wayne Hunter was going to be the starting right tackle?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

whypick1 posted:

I didn't think it was possible to fit that many contradictions into so few sentences.

They're the best d-line in the NFL, unless they aren't. What's so weird about that

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

FWD: FWD: FWD: IMPORTANT :ughh:

I want to say "ugh I can't believe that was posted somewhere" but I'm not that naive.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

They're the best d-line in the NFL, unless they aren't. What's so weird about that

I understand what he was trying to say. He just worded it poorly.

"This unit might not just be the best unit in the NFL this season, but the best unit in the NFL ever"

Which is insane

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

AAA DOLFAN posted:

"This unit might not just be the best unit in the NFL this season, but the best unit in the NFL ever"

Which is insane

Oh.

Well, you know, some people like to do big fat lines before they post on the internet

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Which is insane

I thought he just meant that there was no unit - D-line or not - that had more talent than the Dolphin's D-line, not necessarily that it was the best of all time.

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

I thought he just meant that there was no unit - D-line or not - that had more talent than the Dolphin's D-line, not necessarily that it was the best of all time.

That's just as ridiculous. Especially considering that they aren't necessarily even the best d-line, going further than that doesn't matter.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I understand the excitement, but we'd need Dion Jordan to have a Jevon Kearse season, Cam Wake to repeat 2012 or 2010... Soliai play as well as 2011, and Randy Starks be Randy Starks.

Then we'd have one of the greatest lines of all time. As it stands, I'll take a run stopping unit that produces maybe 45 sacks. That'd be fine by me.

So basically I want St Louis's line on steroids

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, don't get me wrong, they are very good. I'd say easily top-5 and probably top-3 in my worthless opinion. But I can't call them the best in the league yet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Atomic Spud posted:

That's just as ridiculous. Especially considering that they aren't necessarily even the best d-line, going further than that doesn't matter.

I don't follow the Dolphins too much, but are they even the best line in their division?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chichevache posted:

I don't follow the Dolphins too much, but are they even the best line in their division?

Easily. Who compares? New England is the closest, with Chandler Jones and Vince Wilfork.

Atomic Spud posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, they are very good. I'd say easily top-5 and probably top-3 in my worthless opinion. But I can't call them the best in the league yet.

Nor can anyone who has a brain, so I'm with you there. On paper you'd expect big things but as we know, it's impossible to go by a year ago. People rise. People fall.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I thought the Jets line was one of the best, but I'm phone posting and thus too lazy to research it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I really thought the Bills line was going to be amazing.

And then last season happened. Sorry Bills fans :(

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I mean in the world of really gross tattoos/body art, the Jets are near the top

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

In a world where Stevie Johnson can't dance, Coples is allowed to leave that gross brand uncovered. :cry:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

AAA DOLFAN posted:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Jets are projected to have a really good line, but they have a rookie and a consistent underachiever in Ellis, and practically no depth after the starters.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So, I feel like posting this.

There's an unmentioned cleveland forum I used to post at semi-reguraly.

Anyway, there's this guy that posts there that kind of semi-trolls a bit. (to the point where he'd probably likely have been probated/banned if he'd done stuff here) He's kind of had a :smug: attitude about the NFL lately. Insisting that it's a not a good product, that the NBA is "Far better" from a pure athletic standpoint, and anyone who watches the NFL is an idiot.

He was recently bemoaning the fact that "Hall of Fame" game's ratings dwarfed that of the MLB's post-season, and the NBA's finals. He's also said in the past that College Football is by far the better game because it allows for teams to become much more dominant through shere talent, while in the NFL it seems to generally rely on the fact that it's pretty much having a good qb=super bowl.

Is his snobbery justified? It kind of sounds like he's the sort of guy who hates fun.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
To hold up the NBA, where offensive plays routinely are centered around and defined by drawing a foul, as some superior league is insane. I mean every sport involves diving or exaggerating to get a call, but the NBA is rapidly passing soccer for the worst at this.

But that guy generally sounds like a bitchlord anyway

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

while in the NFL it seems to generally rely on the fact that it's pretty much having a good qb=super bowl.

The recent Super Bowl champs were headlined by a guy who had two of the worst QBRs ever last season alone. His argument is already flawed, and his snobbery is less and less justified by everything you posted that came before what I quoted.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sweeney Tom posted:

The recent Super Bowl champs were headlined by a guy who had two of the worst QBRs ever last season alone. His argument is already flawed,

His argument is dumb but this argument is...not persuasive.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

To add, and this is non-football related, and I quote, he said that pretty much people that are fans of Auto Racing "Suffer from small penis syndrome", and that they're pretty much in the same lot as "Gun nuts".

I just struggle to see this guy's argument. I also feel that the parity the NFL has is a bit more of a strength, than a weakness. In the MLB, NBA, etc, you can pretty much cross your team off of the list for the chance to win a title that year, even before the season begins often times.

Within the NFL even with my terrible team, you could at least tell me "Eh, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, all came out of nowhere. The Cardinals actually WON a Super Bowl.." and about a million other ancedotes to at least keep me interested during the season.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
it pretty much all sounds like he's trolling and should be ignored. Or he's stupid, and should be ignored.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyway, there's this guy that posts there that kind of semi-trolls a bit. (to the point where he'd probably likely have been probated/banned if he'd done stuff here) He's kind of had a :smug: attitude about the NFL lately. Insisting that it's a not a good product, that the NBA is "Far better" from a pure athletic standpoint, and anyone who watches the NFL is an idiot.

He was recently bemoaning the fact that "Hall of Fame" game's ratings dwarfed that of the MLB's post-season, and the NBA's finals. He's also said in the past that College Football is by far the better game because it allows for teams to become much more dominant through shere talent, while in the NFL it seems to generally rely on the fact that it's pretty much having a good qb=super bowl.

Is his snobbery justified? It kind of sounds like he's the sort of guy who hates fun.

He's right.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The problem with saying you need a good QB to win the superbowl is that if you win the superbowl, your QB is automatically considered good, unless they're Trent Dilfer.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think the second someone says Baseball and Basketball are better examples of how to build a balanced league you can immediately ignore them.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well duh college teams can dominate through sheer talent, because all the good teams get all the good recruits. Free agency and salary caps prevent that in the NFL. College and Pro ball are two sides of the same coin, so saying one is better is bullshit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Febreeze posted:

Well duh college teams can dominate through sheer talent, because all the good teams get all the good recruits. Free agency and salary caps prevent that in the NFL. College and Pro ball are two sides of the same coin, so saying one is better is bullshit

The salary cap is seriously the best part of the NFL. The whole reason "Good QB = Super Bowl" fallacy exists is because if you are lucky enough to get one unproven great player cheap, you have just won the football lottery. It would suck if the NFL turned into the NBA where Peyton Manning is running an option offense with Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The salary cap is seriously the best part of the NFL. The whole reason "Good QB = Super Bowl" fallacy exists is because if you are lucky enough to get one unproven great player cheap, you have just won the football lottery. It would suck if the NFL turned into the NBA where Peyton Manning is running an option offense with Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson.

Well it would suck if it wasn't for my team.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Judging by Miamis cap they'd spend like 60 million while Ross says they need to draw in fans somehow

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I know what you're getting at, but any offense that forced Manning to run would be loving hilarious to see.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It would suck if the NFL turned into the NBA where Peyton Manning is running an option offense with Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson.

what does this even mean

Also fun fact the NBA has a salary cap. Additional fun fact(s): this conversation is really dumb and you are all also dumb.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Are you angry with us or are you angry at the NBA for being kind of lovely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You. Always you.

• Locked thread