Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadwing posted:

I'm betting a completely different way - like there's no way both versions won't have an Animal Crossing stage. But the Wii U's shown stage is clearly based off on Animal Crossing City Folk based on art style and locations shown. The 3DS version will probably have a New Leaf-themed level.
I'm just basing my theory off the fact that Nintendo has been phoning it the gently caress in with most of their Wii U games and looking for the quickest and lowest-effort way to get games out onto the shelves, since the games that actually have to be built from the ground up like Pikmin end up missing their target date by many many months.

I know it's a Namco collaboration, so it won't necessarily follow the same path, but using a lot of legacy stages and sharing some stages means a higher chance of getting both versions out on time, so that's what I think they're gonna do.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I don't see the Wii U being a competitor to the real next-gen consoles, but once I own Mario 3D, new Zelda, X, Sonic Lost World and maybe the new DK and Smash, I'll feel like the Wii U was worth it.

The Wii was pretty much a failure for me, personally, no matter that it won the generation. I think the only games I played for an extended time were Galaxy 1, Wii Sports and Twilight Princess :effort:.

If I have 10 solid games 12-18 months from now, I'll be happy. At least happier than I was with my Wii. It would also be great if they could patch the firmware on the U again. I still get the odd freeze when leaving applications. Not as much as I did six months ago, but still. Ridiculous that it's an unreliable, underpowered "next-gen" console with no games.

e: Meanwhile I've dropped 120* hours into my 3DS since Feb-March :stare:.

*half of which into DS Pokemon games :v:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 7, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm just basing my theory off the fact that Nintendo has been phoning it the gently caress in with most of their Wii U games and looking for the quickest and lowest-effort way to get games out onto the shelves, since the games that actually have to be built from the ground up like Pikmin end up missing their target date by many many months.

I know it's a Namco collaboration, so it won't necessarily follow the same path, but using a lot of legacy stages and sharing some stages means a higher chance of getting both versions out on time, so that's what I think they're gonna do.

Since Mario Kart 8 is slotted for Spring 2014 and Smash Bros a more nebulous 2014, I'd bet that we won't be seeing Smash 4 any sooner than September of next year. Even if it came out in the summer, that's still just as long a dev cycle as Brawl had. Namco was probably brought in due to their experience with working with HD assets, since they don't seem to be contributing at all of the game's mechanics.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadwing posted:

Since Mario Kart 8 is slotted for Spring 2014 and Smash Bros a more nebulous 2014, I'd bet that we won't be seeing Smash 4 any sooner than September of next year. Even if it came out in the summer, that's still just as long a dev cycle as Brawl had. Namco was probably brought in due to their experience with working with HD assets, since they don't seem to be contributing at all of the game's mechanics.
I'd be interested to learn what the collaboration breakdown is like. The way you put it, Namco does the art and Nintendo does the engine, but my impression was that it would be the opposite. Bringing Namco in because they're an expert in fighting games, and having them handle the game mechanics, while Nintendo produces the art. I dunno if there's any official info on how it shakes out.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The thing about Smash is that the only thing it's ever had to do with fighting games as a genre is that it has dudes beating each other up. Mechanically, Smash Bros has always been some sort of a weird hybrid of a platformer and a beat-em-up, with a death mechanic that was completely unique at the N64 game's launch. Tekken has as much to do with Smash Bros as Tetris has to do with Angry Birds. If you had to pick a genre to throw Tetris and Angry Birds into, you'd pick puzzle games, but the games have absolutely nothing to do with each other in terms of gameplay mechanics. Nothing really seems to have changed with the Smash Bros. formula that would indicate Namco's involvement on that side.

e: Nintendo's also had a history of working closely with Namco with games like Donkey Konga, Pac-Man VS, Mario Superstar Baseball, and Star Fox Assault, so it makes sense for Nintendo to go to them if they need a hand.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 7, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sora (read: Sakurai) is doing the game design, Nintendo/HAL are producing/supervising, Namco is doing the bulk of the actual work. The setup is similar to the one for Other M, off the top of my head - most of the different leads from Namco are partnered with someone from Sora/Nintendo to keep things in check.

They went with NBGI because they had the personnel to do everything in-house, which meant they didn't have to do what they did with Brawl and sub-contract everything out to eight hundred different external studios.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If they bundle Wonderful 101 with a Wii U I'll buy that poo poo.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sora (read: Sakurai) is doing the game design, Nintendo/HAL are producing/supervising, Namco is doing the bulk of the actual work. The setup is similar to the one for Other M, off the top of my head - most of the different leads from Namco are partnered with someone from Sora/Nintendo to keep things in check.

They went with NBGI because they had the personnel to do everything in-house, which meant they didn't have to do what they did with Brawl and sub-contract everything out to eight hundred different external studios.

I thought brawl was made by sora and dudes from Game arts?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pixeltendo posted:

I thought brawl was made by sora and dudes from Game arts?

It wasn't just Game Arts, there were a bunch of other studios, too - Grasshopper Manufacture, h.a.n.d., some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

When Sakurai made Kid Icarus he did it through "Project Sora", which was basically just a formal arrangement where Nintendo would provide him with staff and/or sub-contract parts of the game on his behalf; it was supposed to be a test run for Smash 4, but for whatever reason they ended up partnering with Namco instead, so Project Sora (but not Sora LTD, Sakurai's studio) was dissolved.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Late reply, but since we were talking about Smash Bros, I've been catching up on the Smash thread.

quote:

Kotaku: While we bring that up, how will those versions be different?

Sakurai: Essentially between the two versions the character structure is the same, and the moves shared between the characters are the same, but the stages are entirely different. On the 3DS, we've taken the motif of handheld games and then on the Wii U version, featured primarily stages based on games on console.

Kotaku: And you can also—on the 3DS version—play against people playing the Wii U version?

Sakurai: Actually, that's not possible. What is possible is for you to be able to customize your character, transfer it to the Wii U, and then play there. It would be technically impossible, just because the stages are so different between the two versions, so there isn't a situation where you have a handheld device and a console and you're able to play at the same time. Just more of a situation where there's integration, and [ability] to transfer data.

So it really looks like the stages will be completely different on each version of the game. Which is both good and bad, since it means that I'll have to buy both versions of the game. Which is both good and bad. Nintendo! :argh:

Some text from other interviews seems to imply that the 3DS version will focus on smaller stages, and the Wii U will have larger stages due to the Wii U being in HD, allowing for more detail when the stages zoom out.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 7, 2013

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Astro7x posted:

That looks great, what the heck are you talking about with painful to look at?

It looks like an oversaturated neon mess with Vaseline on the lens. It resembles Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

zenintrude posted:

Here, I next gen'd it for everyone

More like Twilight Princessed.

Toady fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 7, 2013

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I managed to pick up a WiiU at Target for $150 this past weekend and I'm actually really impressed with the gamepad. It's comfortable as heck and surprisingly lightweight - my 3DS weighs more.

I'm really excited for the announced lineup since it already looks better than what the Wii had.

Walmart and Best Buy were selling the basic WiiU for $200. Does anyone know why every retailer seems to be getting rid of only its basic WiiU stock?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pawl posted:

Walmart and Best Buy were selling the basic WiiU for $200. Does anyone know why every retailer seems to be getting rid of only its basic WiiU stock?

The Deluxe is a better deal to the point where very few even care that the basic exists. Even here in this thread you always see the console referred to as costing $350, because the version with no pack-in, no charging dock, no digital rebate program, and almost no storage doesn't really matter.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pawl posted:

I managed to pick up a WiiU at Target for $150 this past weekend and I'm actually really impressed with the gamepad. It's comfortable as heck and surprisingly lightweight - my 3DS weighs more.

I'm really excited for the announced lineup since it already looks better than what the Wii had.

They're getting rid of the basic model, and they're coming out with something new. It's 99% likely there will be be a price drop on the current deluxe model pretty soon.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

deadwing posted:

The thing about Smash is that the only thing it's ever had to do with fighting games as a genre is that it has dudes beating each other up. Mechanically, Smash Bros has always been some sort of a weird hybrid of a platformer and a beat-em-up, with a death mechanic that was completely unique at the N64 game's launch. Tekken has as much to do with Smash Bros as Tetris has to do with Angry Birds.

Smash Brothers is basically just a ripoff of Poy Poy.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Cyra posted:

Right, which quickly receeded after the novelty wore off

No, sorry, this needs to be addressed-- the Wii sales didn't 'quickly recede' at all, they started high and lead the non-handheld market until like early 2011. Look:

The Wii U is at 35 weeks or so now, and somewhere between the X360/PS3 and Vita lines, if we assume they've sold most of the units shipped.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Pawl posted:

The GamePad weighs 500g. The 3DS weighs 230g. The 3DSXL weighs 336g.

What did you do to your 3DS to make it weigh over a pound? Surely even the bigger batteries you can add don't make it heavier than a GamePad, right?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Soul Glo posted:

The GamePad weighs 500g. The 3DS weighs 230g. The 3DSXL weighs 336g.

What did you do to your 3DS to make it weigh over a pound? Surely even the bigger batteries you can add don't make it heavier than a GamePad, right?

It's probably that his mind's playin' tricks on him... the 3DS is denser than the GamePad and thus if seems heavier despite not actually weighing more.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Edmund Honda posted:

No, sorry, this needs to be addressed-- the Wii sales didn't 'quickly recede' at all, they started high and lead the non-handheld market until like early 2011. Look:

The Wii U is at 35 weeks or so now, and somewhere between the X360/PS3 and Vita lines, if we assume they've sold most of the units shipped.

I'd love to see that chart with 3DS vs. DS. I thought the 3DS was doing horrible, but it looks like it did pretty well

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Astro7x posted:

I thought the 3DS was doing horrible, but it looks like it did pretty well

Look at weeks 35-45 for the first piece of the puzzle.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zenintrude posted:

Look at weeks 35-45 for the first piece of the puzzle.

That's around when the 3DS dropped price and Nintendo started unrolling higher quality content. A lot of people love to wear blinders and think that the first year of x console is an anomaly and oh gosh there's nothing to play but I have been a first adopter on most-every platform minus the 360. Every single one, while some may have more titles at launch hits a stagnant point and nothing comes out so people get frustrated and scream "X HAS NO GAME!" then a year goes by and the holiday season comes about and they forget about it because they got 10 or so quality titles instantly.

When 3DS first launched these were the "defacto" launch titles in March:
SSF4: 3D
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon because it dropped to like $15 instantly

Then in June Zelda OoT came out and Star Fox 64 came out in September. Remember also there was the price drop to spur sales around this time along with the Ambassador program. Holiday season came about and all that really was worth a gently caress was Cave Story 3D which was crappier than the DSi version that was $10 and Super Mario 3D Land. So by the end of the first year of game season you had 5 MAYBE 6 titles worth owning on the system. Then the following year the XL was announced and the following games came out:
Tales of the Abyss
Kid Icarus
Theatrhythm
Kingdom Hearts 3D
New SMB 2
Zero Escape: VLR
Professor Layton
Rayman Origins
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Adventure Time

Comparing the two years you have 10 quality games dropping trough the second year instead of 5/6, along with virtual console and all of the eshop stuff. Sure there are other games that were released like RE but those also had some controversy mixed in due to the saving structure of the cartridge among other things. On top of this Pokemon also came out sometime I forget when which spurred a bunch of kids into upgrading their consoles. Then you have this year which has had an absurd number of titles so sure, there are minimal games for a new console but that's the pain of being an early adopter. Sales are also slow until there are price drops and incentive to buy into the system, this is why you see things like PS3 overtaking the 360 because Sony started promoting consoles with really enticing pack-ins like Infamous/Uncharted/etc. Once Nintendo does an actual price drop on the Wii U it will likely take hold fine, but it's still in the early adoption phase so there's no point in calling it DoA considering it isn't even a year old yet. Maybe if things haven't improved by holiday season 2014 then yeah, the console is a dead turd.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Bethesda's out. Their reasoning is especially damning, too.

quote:

It's largely a hardware thing. [We] make the games that we want to make, on whatever platforms will support them as developed.
Sales numbers can be fixed. Developers building for PS4/One/PC and then looking at the Wii U's pitiful specs and going "welp, guess not"? That's permanent.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CapnAndy posted:

Sales numbers can be fixed. Developers building for PS4/One/PC and then looking at the Wii U's pitiful specs and going "welp, guess not"? That's permanent.

Let's be perfectly honest here, the games Bethesda is well known for (TES, Fallout) are fantastic games, but they are usually buggy as hell upon release and the best versions are on the PC due to mod support among other things.

I don't think many people are surprised or saddened to hear about this. I wasn't expecting any of their games to end up on the Wii U, and even if they did release those games on the Wii U, I would have still bought it for my PC for the aforementioned reasons.

Dishonored is another story though...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Its also the sort of thing that allows them to back into it later if the WiiU explodes in popularity by saying "At the time we didn't have the genius idea for our new visionary game [x] that can only be done on WiiU"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well that didn't take long to get started. Nintendo is gonna get bitten in the rear end for being cheap SO loving hard this gen.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

CapnAndy posted:

That's actually not "permanent", if the Wii U sold 10 million units this year you bet your rear end they'd backpedal on that*. As it stands, they're just doing what is financially frugal for the moment, but if Wii U games became potentially profitable for them to make, they'd make them.

*I don't expect either of these things to happen, obviously.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TaurusOxford posted:

Well that didn't take long to get started. Nintendo is gonna get bitten in the rear end for being cheap SO loving hard this gen.

The sad thing is they aren't being cheap in the long run. They think they are. They're nickel and diming their customers on one end with cheap processors and ancient screens and no DVD or blu ray functionality and no audio out and no ethernet port, but then nickel and diming themselves by adding unnecessary unused features to the console they had maybe one idea for like a front facing low resolution camera or sensor bar built into the gamepad , using technology so old that it actually isn't mass produced anymore and they have to get the one company with the one factory to make it so it costs more, and ps that factory is closing in a couple years.

Like on 3DS they were going to use some kind of Tegra chip but cheaped out and decided to go with a poor Chinese knockoff. Except that Tegra chip has gone down rapidly in price while the cheap knockoff is only produced for one purpose by one manufacturer.

And by not having account systems they end up wasting time and money developing transfer apps, expanding customer service for when someone breaks their system and can't access their content anymore, have multiple stores making it more inconvenient for someone to store funds or buy things in either.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 7, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TaurusOxford posted:

Somehow I doubt this. 3DS outsells vita hand over fist and the Wii was a "glorified gamecube" as most put it and did just fine. Just because they don't target :pcgaming: doesn't mean that they're completely hosed

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
No Elder Scrolls: Mushroom Kingdom? My heart, it breaks.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I figured this would start to happen just due to the hardware like Bethesda says. It's not so much about having to scale back graphics it's that with the xbone/ps4 coming out every company can start upgrading their game engines to have more complex systems and advanced AI. That stuff needs raw processing power that maybe the Wii U just can't compete with.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SymfonyMan posted:

I figured this would start to happen just due to the hardware like Bethesda says. It's not so much about having to scale back graphics it's that with the xbone/ps4 coming out every company can start upgrading their game engines to have more complex systems and advanced AI. That stuff needs raw processing power that maybe the Wii U just can't compete with.

You seriously think companies will rewrite their engines? Carmack even touched on how impossible that notion is because of how big publishing companies are setup. Call of Duty still runs off a heavily modified Q3 engine and for them to rewrite the engine properly would take much longer than their annual release schedule. The changes in Ghosts is so minimal that it's laughable. The only company that really does this anymore is Crytek and even then their engine will be so advanced it will be scaled back heavily on One/PS4. Bethesda will not give up gamebryo and will continue to "improve" it as has seen in the past because they are now at the whim of large publishers and will not have the time or resources to actually develop a new proper engine from the ground up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

flyboi posted:

You seriously think companies will rewrite their engines?
Yes.

You really think they won't? Nobody's gonna upgrade their engines to take advantage of the new horsepower and they'll just keep right on making games that could run on a 360 or PS3?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

flyboi posted:

You seriously think companies will rewrite their engines? Carmack even touched on how impossible that notion is because of how big publishing companies are setup. Call of Duty still runs off a heavily modified Q3 engine and for them to rewrite the engine properly would take much longer than their annual release schedule. The changes in Ghosts is so minimal that it's laughable. The only company that really does this anymore is Crytek and even then their engine will be so advanced it will be scaled back heavily on One/PS4. Bethesda will not give up gamebryo and will continue to "improve" it as has seen in the past because they are now at the whim of large publishers and will not have the time or resources to actually develop a new proper engine from the ground up.

Nope.

Going by what Jeff "Professional Videogamesman" Gerstman has said about CoD (and he actually interviewed a dude on the Ghosts team, by the way), the part of the engine that is from Quake is the netcode. That's it. They still use it because it works and it would be dumb to rewrite it because it's not broken. It doesn't actually run on a Quake engine. You're trying to make that game sound as if it could just be a mod or something to Quake, which is hilariously disingenuous. Stop saying that just because you hate popular games, or whatever.

So not only does CoD only use Quake's netcode, but Ghosts runs on a new engine for the new generation. Is it built from scratch? No, they're not going to build from the ground up. CoD is still a yearly game, so to meet budget and time constraints, why wouldn't they just build on what they have? But is it the same engine? No.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

flyboi posted:

You seriously think companies will rewrite their engines?

You seriously think companies will gimp their engines to cater to a dying, obsolete console?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TaurusOxford posted:

You seriously think companies will gimp their engines to cater to a dying, obsolete console?

Considering both Microsoft and Sony want games to continue on 360/PS3 at least for the time being yes, they will still be retarded to a degree. Exclusives will become cutting edge but don't expect CoD, Fifa, Madden, etc to actually go full-blown next gen the first few iterations. Until the install base migrates there's no point for the multi-platform hits to pretend their largest adopters don't exist.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

flyboi posted:

Considering both Microsoft and Sony want games to continue on 360/PS3 at least for the time being yes, they will still be retarded to a degree. Exclusives will become cutting edge but don't expect CoD, Fifa, Madden, etc to actually go full-blown next gen the first few iterations. Until the install base migrates there's no point for the multi-platform hits to pretend their largest adopters don't exist.

Which brings us back to the fact that current-gen ports to the Wii U are already inferior to versions on other platforms.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

flyboi posted:

Somehow I doubt this. 3DS outsells vita hand over fist and the Wii was a "glorified gamecube" as most put it and did just fine. Just because they don't target :pcgaming: doesn't mean that they're completely hosed

Well the thing is they kinda did target core gamers this time around. They did it in the most incredibly halfassed way possible, but their initial E3 presentation had a whole lot of "Look at these core third party games we'll have that you played 12 to 18 months ago!" That major publishers are pulling support left and right is really loving bad for Nintendo. This isn't like the 3DS where it took a long time to get everyone on board. Everyone was ALREADY on board, and they're currently jumping ship.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

OatmealRaisin posted:

Well the thing is they kinda did target core gamers this time around. They did it in the most incredibly halfassed way possible, but their initial E3 presentation had a whole lot of "Look at these core third party games we'll have that you played 12 to 18 months ago!" That major publishers are pulling support left and right is really loving bad for Nintendo. This isn't like the 3DS where it took a long time to get everyone on board. Everyone was ALREADY on board, and they're currently jumping ship.

I think the EA situation is particularly damning. Two years ago, they took stage at Nintendo's E3 event to declare an "unprecedented partnership", then poo poo out a handful of ports for the launch and 6 months later declare they have no projects in development and oh by the way, the engine powering every single one of their next-gen releases won't support Wii U. Activision and Ubisoft were probably too far along in their upcoming fall releases to declare anything similar, but if the sales numbers are miserable I can see them making similar statements.

Also, flyboi, of course devs won't write whole new engines for their next gen releases, they already exist - see Unreal Engine 4, CryEngine 3, Frostbite 3, Anvil Next...

Obviously there will be tweaks and potential rebuilds down the line, but the groundwork for the next gen has been building for some while.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Space Racist posted:

Activision and Ubisoft were probably too far along in their upcoming fall releases to declare anything similar, but if the sales numbers are miserable I can see them making similar statements.

Didn't Ubi release a report fairly recently that around 3% of their total yearly sales were for the WiiU? I think unless something dramatically changes they're pretty certain to bail once they get their games out.

And before anyone comes in with "It's okay that the WiiU sucks because everyone is going to PC for core games anyway," PC was something like 15%.

Edit:

thefncrow posted:

In addition, citing FIFA and Madden are bad examples, as it sounds like EA is employing the same strategy as they did in the leap to 360/PS3, where there's a split between next-gen and last-gen. Last gen will continue to get roster updated yearly titles with no new features, while the real development effort has been expended on the next-gen consoles.
FIFA is a horrible example because FIFA 14 is on the loving Playstation 2. This is the same guy who called HD rereleases literally emulation though, so arguing in bad faith is what he does.

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

flyboi posted:

Considering both Microsoft and Sony want games to continue on 360/PS3 at least for the time being yes, they will still be retarded to a degree. Exclusives will become cutting edge but don't expect CoD, Fifa, Madden, etc to actually go full-blown next gen the first few iterations.

MS/Sony don't really want games to continue on PS3/360, though. That's more the realm of the publishers, who don't want to only cater to the smaller audience of next-gen early adopters.

In addition, citing FIFA and Madden are bad examples, as it sounds like EA is employing the same strategy as they did in the leap to 360/PS3, where there's a split between next-gen and last-gen. Last gen will continue to get roster updated yearly titles with no new features, while the real development effort has been expended on the next-gen consoles.

That strategy right there is part of why EA is basically entirely out of the market for sports games on PC, because when the 360/PS3 rolled around, the PC versions stayed stuck with the last gen engine, they never ported the new stuff to PC because it didn't sell enough, until finally sales cratered enough that they stopped releasing PC versions at all.

• Locked thread