Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Also don't wait patiently for your friends to realize they are in your shot and move out of the way. If they've only got P&S or kit lenses, they don't have a clue that they could be in the way.

e: new page... I found a decent small bag at Best Buy for my M + zoom + 22/2. It's a Manfrotto case so probably costs more than it should (although I'm pretty sure it was < $40). I can't see the exact one online, but it's really simple, Just a zipper compartment, one padded divider, and a little velcro pocket in the lid. I'm not a huge fan of zipper openings, and I wouldn't have minded another small pocket on the outside, but it packs stuff in really efficiently and is compact to throw over your shoulder or to throw in another bag. I needed something ASAP for a trip a couple of weeks ago and this works pretty well for me.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Oh look! A package for me! Judging by the size of the box, it must be some article of clothing I recently purchased online.

wtf Canon.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Haha, maybe they ran out of bubble mailers or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or they hired a shipping manager who used to work at a computer manufacturer. Doesn't matter which one, they all do the same dumb poo poo with packaging.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I had a refurb 100L show up in a box that was something like 1x2x3ft, it was ridiculous.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
I'd like opinions on whether or not a mk3 is worth paying more than a 6D if I am selling my 7D kit to afford it. I take food/concert photography with most of my income coming from food. The idea of built-in wifi and GPS make me extremely happy as does the lighter weight but I dunno y'all...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Depends on how much you need that godly Mk3 AF

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

mdtyson posted:

The idea of built-in wifi and GPS make me extremely happy as does the lighter weight but I dunno y'all...

Those are all pluses on the 6D. What about the 5D3 do you want that the 6D doesn't offer?

It sounds like from what you shoot the 6D would be just fine.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

mclifford82 posted:

Those are all pluses on the 6D. What about the 5D3 do you want that the 6D doesn't offer?

It sounds like from what you shoot the 6D would be just fine.

Is the 6D at least as good as the 7D when focusing in low light? I find that to be the worst part about the 5Dmk2, and I know it's significantly upgraded in the mk3. Concert photography is all about focusing in low light so that might be extremely important to him... Food photography could easily be done with either.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Gambl0r posted:

Is the 6D at least as good as the 7D when focusing in low light? I find that to be the worst part about the 5Dmk2, and I know it's significantly upgraded in the mk3. Concert photography is all about focusing in low light so that might be extremely important to him... Food photography could easily be done with either.

The center AF point in the 6D is probably the single most accurate low-light AF point in Canon's lineup. The non-center AF points suck. So if you're good with focus->recompose, you're fine.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you want really accurate low light focusing you should probably just buy a pentax k-5ii instead.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr. Despair posted:

If you want really accurate low light focusing you should probably just buy a pentax k-5ii instead.

The Canon Thead: Buy a Pentax.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canon is pretty much that Kenny Rodgers song, except none of us figured out when to fold.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Depends on how much you need that godly Mk3 AF

This is pretty much it, along with greater durability and some semblance of "future-proofing." Also, after playing with both the 6D had less to offer as far as quickly changing settings go - the UI seems god awful whereas the mk3 is very similar to the 7D setup I'm used to.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
I've gone through a few cameras by now, 1100D / 100D / 700D / Pentax K-50 / 60D and I'm going to settle with the Canon 60D.
This being the first time using a DSLR, I really didn't know what to look for, wasn't comfortable with what I got and was second guessing myself constantly.

Looking for a good enough package deal that left me enough money to upgrade the lens further down the road.

I guess that all of the camera bodys, except for the 1100D, had newer technology and some more convenient photo shooting features in them compared to the 60D. What I got was the Canon 60D and two lenses, Tamron 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD and Canon EF 50 mm f/1,8 II. Perhaps I didn't get the most value for my money but I liked the whole package.

I'm figuring out whether I should return the Pentax and get the money back or a Tamron AF SP 90/2,8 Di VC USD Macro 1:1 lense. I guess the sound advice would be to wait, but I don't know.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Played with a 70D today at Canon's service centre/retail outlet in Osaka today. It's pretty nice.
  • The movie AF works mostly as advertised. The focus change pace is nice and smooth, and I think I spotted a custom function to change its speed. (could be wrong)
  • One shot AF in live view also has the same focus speed as movie mode AF. The viewfinder is faster to start, and faster to acquire lock.
  • It's a massive improvement on Canon's contrast AF but not as WTF speedy as Olympus'. It doesn't seem to be me to be able to replace the phase array when speed matters.
  • I did not have time to try swapping lenses - will be interesting to see it behave on a USM.
  • I did not have any moving subjects to try follow-focus on a movie, only changing subjects.
  • I did not try moving the focusing rectangle around in live view. (an absolutely painful process on at least the 7D)
  • I do not like the focus-by-wire ring on STM lenses. It often gets overridden by whatever the camera is doing. Is is NOT full time manual.
  • Constant AF triggering during live view is on by default but can be turned off.
  • There's no autofocus "bounce" as you often get with contrast AF. (i.e. front focus -> hit focus -> back focus -> hit focus -> lock) It's confident in its ability to acquire lock.
  • Though sometimes the AF will go in the wrong direction at first, but not nearly as often as contrast AF, and I did not see this while a movie was recording. (only while it was lazily auto-AFing around in live view)
  • Judging by what I saw on the camera's screen, ISO performance is roughly 1 stop ahead of current Canon crops. ISO 6400 looked like about ISO 3200 on my 7D. Not a HUGE improvement, it's not about to make me stop drooling after the full frame Canons, but it's welcome. (do not take this as gospel though, previewing on an LCD screen in a well lit retail outlet using JPEG and standard noise reduction is not a way to measure noise, measured performance by tools may well be worse!)
  • They removed pinpoint and expanded cross AF from the 7D system. You only get point, zone, and all. Other than that, seemed the same to me.
  • Focus screen has been inherited from the 7D to go along with the AF.

In short: this is what the EOS M should have had in the first place. The speed of the live view AF still needs improvement though, if you ask me, as it still falls short of the phase-array/viewfinder AF and Olympus' contrast AF. However, contrast AF (even Olympus') has unreliable subject tracking.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 7, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

erephus posted:

I've gone through a few cameras by now, 1100D / 100D / 700D / Pentax K-50 / 60D and I'm going to settle with the Canon 60D.
This being the first time using a DSLR, I really didn't know what to look for, wasn't comfortable with what I got and was second guessing myself constantly.

Looking for a good enough package deal that left me enough money to upgrade the lens further down the road.

I guess that all of the camera bodys, except for the 1100D, had newer technology and some more convenient photo shooting features in them compared to the 60D. What I got was the Canon 60D and two lenses, Tamron 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD and Canon EF 50 mm f/1,8 II. Perhaps I didn't get the most value for my money but I liked the whole package.

I'm figuring out whether I should return the Pentax and get the money back or a Tamron AF SP 90/2,8 Di VC USD Macro 1:1 lense. I guess the sound advice would be to wait, but I don't know.

You should get a wider angle lens. A good choice is the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 without vc. 50mm and above may make it hard to frame some shots you may want.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mdtyson posted:

the 6D had less to offer as far as quickly changing settings go - the UI seems god awful whereas the mk3 is very similar to the 7D setup I'm used to.
The gently caress? The Canon UI's are virtually all the same.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

The gently caress? The Canon UI's are virtually all the same.

Probably talking about the physical controls. It is different with the removal of the joystick. However, going from a 40D to the 6D I don't miss it .. there isn't a single thing I dislike about the 6D.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Yeah, harder to navigate without joystick but I'd probably get used to it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, there's that directional button on the large dial.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

mdtyson posted:

Yeah, harder to navigate without joystick but I'd probably get used to it.

I use center point AF + back button focus to recompose, so I never really use the joystick anyways.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I have been using a 400d for about 5 years, and it is well overdue for an upgrade. I mainly shoot landscapes, travel photos and people.

After not taking many photos in the past 12 months I have picked up the bug again but am conflicted on upgrading. Full frame has always been really appealing but even second hand a 5d II and a few lenses will take me up to around $3000.

How are the original 5D's holding up compared to the latest Canon crops? There is a guy selling one locally with only 10k shutter actuations for $500. I could get that and a 24-105 F4L separately for ~$600.

The other option is sticking with the crop sensor and getting a used 60D for around the same price. The video recording would be cool but not something I would be seriously into. I already have a Sigma 17-70 which is a great little lens so wouldn't be forced to buy new glass at the same time.

But... I want full frame and the sexy build quality of the 5d. Would I be missing out on video recording and the newer processing and low light capabilities or should I go with the 5+ year old workhorse?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Ahh man I could now get a used 5d Mk ii with some accessories for $1100... it's only money right?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

deaders posted:

Ahh man I could now get a used 5d Mk ii with some accessories for $1100... it's only money right?

If it's not rent money, go for it.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

torgeaux posted:

If it's not rent money, go for it.

That's the validation I needed! Thanks anonymous internet person ;)

No it's not rent money, I do pretty well but am getting married in a year so have some big purchases coming up in the next 6 months...

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

deaders posted:

No it's not rent money, I do pretty well but am getting married in a year so have some big purchases coming up in the next 6 months...

Gotta have a good camera for the honeymoon! There's always a way to justify camera purchases ;)

You won't regret getting the 5Dmk2!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

deaders posted:

I bought a 5d3 6 months before my wedding, and planning to buy a house this year* so don't feel bad :)

*if I stop buying camera gear

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

So if I do get this Mk ii (discussing it with seller now) is the 24-105 f4L the best value for money lens for now? I do have the nifty fifty which I can use straight away but will need to get one new lens to start with.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.
For the record, the 5d is still an excellent camera for the money. It doesn't have the ridiculous low-light capabilities of the later iterations, it doesn't do video and the AF is - shall we say - stately. But within its limits (below iso 800, stationary or slow-moving subjects) the image quality will pretty much destroy anything else your $500 can buy. Think of it as it as a very, very good film camera that never needs reloading.

edit: the 24-105L with the 50 will be a very nice basic setup with a mk11. I've been using one with my new 6d and the image quality is easily on a par with my other L zooms.

flummox fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 8, 2013

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

flummox posted:

For the record, the 5d is still an excellent camera for the money. It doesn't have the ridiculous low-light capabilities of the later iterations, it doesn't do video and the AF is - shall we say - stately. But within its limits (below iso 800, stationary or slow-moving subjects) the image quality will pretty much destroy anything else your $500 can buy. Think of it as it as a very, very good film camera that never needs reloading.

As someone who owns all 3 iterations of the 5D, the 5DC is still a wonderful camera, and I don't think I'll ever sell it. The 5DC w/ the nifty 50 is my "goes literally everywhere with me" camera.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

deaders posted:

Just make sure you have a system you like before you pop out any money eaters.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I am kind of in the same boat as deaders, but I don't want full frame, and I really want an upgrade from my 350D which I bought when it was brand spanking new.

I mostly shoot landscape photos, some exterior and I've been using it to take drunken photos of drunken people at parties. And it hasn't suffered any damages from it either.
Now and then I also do portraits, but that's like once every leap year or so.

I've been reading about 70D, since I could do with a better option to shoot film than my phone (SGSII) and my 5 year old HDV cam (some random Panasonic camera), but also want a good upgrade so that I can get better shots of the aurora borealis during Winter and genereal sky photos at night.

Should I wait for the 70D to come out, or are there other alternatives for me?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
What is the basis for your reluctance to go full frame? Lenses? Sell your EF-S stuff. Canon treats the whole line like a second class citizen anyway; there's no staying power in it. Since you mentioned night shooting, I have to tell you RIGHT THE gently caress NOW that the 6D has (ALOT) less long exposure noise than even the 5D3:

http://petapixel.com/2012/12/13/canon-6d-and-5dmk3-noise-comparison-for-high-iso-long-exposures/

Pretty damning evidence to go with the 6D if you ask me.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, my lenses. It's a hassle to sell them all and buy new ones. And I've never felt the need to go full frame. Even though the Winter lasts from late October to mid April in this part of Norway.
e: Also, my father is getting a 6D, so I can just use his if I want to.

Datasmurf fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 8, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The 5D2 results aren't fair, tho. It doesn't have an IR filter anymore, and a lot of the noise is red. Makes me glad I have the 6D, tho.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

flummox posted:

For the record, the 5d is still an excellent camera for the money. It doesn't have the ridiculous low-light capabilities of the later iterations, it doesn't do video and the AF is - shall we say - stately. But within its limits (below iso 800, stationary or slow-moving subjects) the image quality will pretty much destroy anything else your $500 can buy.

Let's not go too far here. The 5D is a perfectly fine camera, but it's comparatively low resolution and the sensor has relatively high noise compared to modern iterations. I picked up a NEX-5N with 18-55 and the Sigma 30/2.8 for $425 and it would blow the 5D out of the water in all of the "image quality" metrics (resolution, high ISO performance, has video output, etc) for a body costing roughly half as much. Of course it's worse in other ways (contrast-detect AF only, depth of field, menus, babby's first camera mode, etc) but there are better bangs for your buck for pure IQ.

The 5D is great outside or in studio lighting where its sensor isn't too strained and there's nothing wrong with having a "bright-light" camera (that's what I have MF/LF for), but it's pretty awesome to basically never have to use flash even indoors. Just realize that you are paying a bit of a premium to buy an older camera with a larger sensor.

The real problem is that Canon doesn't give a poo poo about their crop sensor lineup. They need some fast cheap primes to cover the normal length and wider end. You can deal with that by jumping to full frame or by buying some of the more expensive zooms, but overall the cost of Canon gear has just been too high for me and I got out. Simple example, everyone else has a cheap normal prime around the $200 mark (Nikon 35/1.8, Pentax 35/2.4), and the Sigma 30/2.8 is only $100, while Canon forces you to either pay $300 for a 25-year-old full frame lens or deal with a longer-than-normal focal length (40/2.8) on Canon's smaller-than-normal APS-C sensor. In the NEX system there's even a Sigma wide lens and a Sony superwide prime lens for reasonable prices, have fun paying for an ultrawide with full-frame coverage so you can crop it back to superwide (or springing for a high end wide zoom).

gently caress paying first-party prices for a lovely selection. Canon's crop sensor lineup is embarrassing, most of all that stupid crippled mirrorless they farted out to check the box on that market segment while avoiding cannibalizing their other lines.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 8, 2013

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'd consider the 5D as more of a DOF improved side-grade from a current gen crop body and that's about it. Still, if you can find a good deal on it, have the right lenses (no EF-S crap, the most important part) and/or shoot outdoors/well lit portraits exclusively then its still totally a nice camera.

EDIT: Dunno if anyone else has reported this but something seems off with this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canon_EOS-1D_X_body.JPG

scroll to the bottom and look at the exif...

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 8, 2013

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'd agree with the above posters. The 5d is certainly a very capable camera and can still produce great images, but the low light performance of it is pretty limited. If I always had control of my lighting, it would be fine but that's not always the case and I think a lot of the recent crop bodies even do better in low light. I had a 5d for a while though and I did love it, just depends on how and what you shoot.

That being said, ff was more important to me than noise reduction so it was an upgrade for me. All depends on what you want!

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Eh, my 5Dc has AF and high ISO noise no worse than my 600D. Worth it for for the overall image quality and handling improvements. As for video, the wife's Nikon j1 does a fine enough job of that for my purposes.