Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I've never tried turning all my vassals into Bishops (with Free Investiture), but I've heard it's kinda exploity/too good.

Yeah, pretty much:

1) Bishops no longer get the wrong government penalty that doges do
2) Bishops don't generate claims, making it very difficult for people to get a reason to attack them and making it harder for the bishops to expand if there's nobody for them to holy war (meaning vassal management is easier)
3) The strengths/weaknesses of castles vs. towns vs. temples aren't proportional. The general idea is that castles are most troops/least income, cities are most income/least troops, and temples are half and half. In reality though, feudal lords are exempt from paying taxes by default and only have to provide troops, while temples get about half the troops of castles while generating some income.
4) Bishops don't get the opinion penalties from crown authority
5) Bishops frequently get additional opinion bonuses, like personal piety, free investiture, and wincest marriages
6) The lack of many opinion penalties combined with the additional opinion bonuses make it easier to increase the tax rate and levy rate for bishops vs. feudal lords, further distorting the proportions between the two.
7) Bishops are not candidates in electoral succession, meaning they vote but can't be chosen as candidates. This can set up elections where the only possible candidates are your dynasty members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Just had a fun couple of days playing my own CK2 to EU4 game, starting as the count of Jambaraland in 867. 70 years later, through my grandfather hating the Duke of Uppland and my father hating the Queen of Denmark, I've just finished my conquest of Pomerania and sent out my raiders

:stare:

From what I can tell, France imploded and the Umayyads and Italy divvied it up for themselves, then the Umayyads subsequently imploded from, you know, having an empire that spanned from Mali to Normandy.

"Emir of Champagne" still makes me laugh.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 6, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sam. posted:

Will the EU4 converter be available after the game comes out, or is it only for people who pre-order?

No worries, my friend.

jpmeyer posted:

Yeah, pretty much:

1) Bishops no longer get the wrong government penalty that doges do
2) Bishops don't generate claims, making it very difficult for people to get a reason to attack them and making it harder for the bishops to expand if there's nobody for them to holy war (meaning vassal management is easier)
3) The strengths/weaknesses of castles vs. towns vs. temples aren't proportional. The general idea is that castles are most troops/least income, cities are most income/least troops, and temples are half and half. In reality though, feudal lords are exempt from paying taxes by default and only have to provide troops, while temples get about half the troops of castles while generating some income.
4) Bishops don't get the opinion penalties from crown authority
5) Bishops frequently get additional opinion bonuses, like personal piety, free investiture, and wincest marriages
6) The lack of many opinion penalties combined with the additional opinion bonuses make it easier to increase the tax rate and levy rate for bishops vs. feudal lords, further distorting the proportions between the two.
7) Bishops are not candidates in electoral succession, meaning they vote but can't be chosen as candidates. This can set up elections where the only possible candidates are your dynasty members

Holy poo poo, that's way better then I thought. I assume that'll be patched/nerfed at some point. Might have to get a gimmick game in before then...

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
The only problem I've found with clergy vassals is that as an empire you can't make them into king level titles.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Also I have a lot of angry vassals due to "wrong government type" and I don't understand. Do fuedal castle-holding vassals not like being in a republic? How do I fix it? I've found if I conquer a feudal county and build a city the city becomes the capital and then when I give that county to a son everything is a-ok.

If memory serves, it's very specifically noble vassals that dislike being ruled by anyone but other nobles. So, as a larger Republic, you want to create city and temple vassals underneath you and subordinate castles to them so you don't directly have to deal with grumpy nobility. I don't remember if this applies to barons that might be your direct vassals as the Lord Mayor of a given county, though.

The -20 "Not on the Council" penalty is specific to Patricians. They represent the most powerful merchant families in your capital city, and they each think they deserve to be on your council. Don't install one as Spymaster.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

No worries, my friend.

Holy poo poo, that's way better then I thought. I assume that'll be patched/nerfed at some point. Might have to get a gimmick game in before then...
Its been like that for a long time and they have never changed it. The only way I see that ever changing is if they release some sort of theocracy DLC. Also in addition to that list if you are Christian bishops get a massive increase in relation with you if you have "free investiture".

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

jpmeyer posted:

Yeah, this one especially. It allows you unrestricted freedom to choose the winningest heir; the worst the archbishops can do is lodge a protest vote for... someone else in your dynasty. Suck it, bishops.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Leb posted:

Yeah, this one especially. It allows you unrestricted freedom to choose the winningest heir; the worst the archbishops can do is lodge a protest vote for... someone else in your dynasty. Suck it, bishops.

You can also just go all in and replace all your Vassals with members of your dynasty. Although this creates some other, fun, problems.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

You can also just go all in and replace all your Vassals with members of your dynasty. Although this creates some other, fun, problems.

As long as you try to be careful with guys who have have claims, dynasty members are preferable because of the +5 bonus, but yeah, it's sometimes not easy to spot the stealth claim and that's when you get drama.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Is there a way to give King-level titles to non-noble vassals, or do you have to settle for giving them all the component parts and waiting for them to create it themselves?

All this Bishop-Talk has given me the drive for a gimmick run of a realm of men in funny hats, but once that hits empire-level I'd still want the option to package all those priests into handy mega-theocracies.

Similarly, it would be nice to be able to install Most Serene Bulgaria as an extra large cash pinata.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You can give king level titles to Mayors with a duke title I believe, Serene Republics?

Someone said you can't do this with Bishops which I thought you could.

The title doesn't really affect what kind of government it is, the owner does.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Broken Cog posted:

This is the way I like to do it because of the other fun problems.

My current Norse game has seen me grab the crowns (or at least all the de jure territory of) Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, Germany, Frisia, Pommerania, Lithuania, Poland, Aragon, Asturias, Castille, Leon, Aquitaine, Sicily, Bavaria, Bohemia, Lotharingia, and Croatia, as well as bits and pieces of Africa, Russia, and Hungary. By 1020.

If I don't get the occasional succession crisis the game gets fuckin' dull.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Isn't this basically the point of the Byzantine blinding mechanic?

Don't forget the "court jester" honorary title. I always give that to the few peasant/heretic rebel leaders that I decide not to execute.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This is the way I like to do it because of the other fun problems.

My current Norse game has seen me grab the crowns (or at least all the de jure territory of) Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, Germany, Frisia, Pommerania, Lithuania, Poland, Aragon, Asturias, Castille, Leon, Aquitaine, Sicily, Bavaria, Bohemia, Lotharingia, and Croatia, as well as bits and pieces of Africa, Russia, and Hungary. By 1020.

If I don't get the occasional succession crisis the game gets fuckin' dull.
It's more interesting to try to get your dynasty ruling areas WITHOUT you being in direct control. That's what I'm trying to do right now, to create a game I can export to EU4 that won't just be "All of Europe is one color"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Strudel Man posted:

It's more interesting to try to get your dynasty ruling areas WITHOUT you being in direct control. That's what I'm trying to do right now, to create a game I can export to EU4 that won't just be "All of Europe is one color"

I figure by the time I control all of Europe I'll just grant a lot of independence to a lot of vassal kings and convert.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
People who know things about modding: I'm trying to change my Titular Titles generator to make it so that the titular titles can only be made by a human. Will setting the conditions to ai_will_do = 0 mean they choose never to make any? Or is there a better condition for it? There doesn't seem to be something along the lines of AI = no :(

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Allyn posted:

People who know things about modding: I'm trying to change my Titular Titles generator to make it so that the titular titles can only be made by a human. Will setting the conditions to ai_will_do = 0 mean they choose never to make any? Or is there a better condition for it? There doesn't seem to be something along the lines of AI = no :(

Try this:

code:
allow = {
       FROM = {
              ai = no
       }
       <additional restrictions go here>

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Broken Cog posted:

Unreformed norse will never get above a 2% conversion rate for counties with an organised religion present. It's one of the major reasons to try and reform as fast as possible.

You can still convert other pagan counties just fine, though.
Eh. The levy bonus is still worth it while you're not a juggernaut. Though I don't think you'll be taking Tholen or Paderborn without being a juggernaut already, so...

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

EightDeer posted:

Try this:

code:
allow = {
       FROM = {
              ai = no
       }

This is close but didn't quite work -- it made it so that, say, the Empire of Castille needs to be held by a non-AI in order to create the Empire of Castille, which is a catch-22, naturally. I tried all of the following 3:

code:
allow = {
       k_castille = {
              ai = no
       }
}

allow = {
       FROM = {
              k_castille = {
                     ai = no
              }
       }
}

allow = {
       k_castille = {
              FROM = {
                     ai = no
              }
       }
}
And they all came up with "this title cannot be created normally", so I'm only getting further away :(

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Are there any particular areas of research I should be concentrating on, or can I safely let that part of the game run on autopilot from the very beginning?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Are there any particular areas of research I should be concentrating on, or can I safely let that part of the game run on autopilot from the very beginning?

Well for cultural tech I tend to focus on "Legalism" for increased Demense size or "Noble Customs" for increased vassal opinion. "Church customs" usually is not be worth it since bishops generally like you and "Tolerance" helps in situations you should be avoiding from happening anyway.

For military tech mostly "Military Organization" for moral increased retinue size and eliminating supply limit when attacking Pagans. Other than that I usually focus on whatever unit type my culture specializes in (Heavy Infantry for Scandinavians, Cavalry for Franks or Greeks etc) siege weapons might be good but I havent noticed a huge difference with it.

Economic probably Castle infrastructure, if you are a Republic I assume trade practices is useful.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

You have to actively invest in research now, so I dunno how autopilot would work anymore. Either way, legalism is a good way of increasing your demesne size cap, and military organization's good if you have Legacy of Rome and so can raise and maintain your own retinues.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley
Not bad for a retiree:

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am curious how the "political concerns" malus works, as it seems to completely prevent marriage entirely no matter how many plusses you have otherwise.

I have a female monarch and am requesting a marriage of an independent duke of the same dynasty (the historical marriage of Queen Thamar and David Soslan), and it denies me the opportunity based on "political concerns." It is a non-matrilineal marriage and relatively straightforward, I'm just curious about the game logic that prevents the marriage.

For what it's worth, using CKII+.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

SpRahl posted:

Well for cultural tech I tend to focus on "Legalism" for increased Demense size or "Noble Customs" for increased vassal opinion. "Church customs" usually is not be worth it since bishops generally like you and "Tolerance" helps in situations you should be avoiding from happening anyway.

For military tech mostly "Military Organization" for moral increased retinue size and eliminating supply limit when attacking Pagans. Other than that I usually focus on whatever unit type my culture specializes in (Heavy Infantry for Scandinavians, Cavalry for Franks or Greeks etc) siege weapons might be good but I havent noticed a huge difference with it.

Economic probably Castle infrastructure, if you are a Republic I assume trade practices is useful.

Ofaloaf posted:

You have to actively invest in research now, so I dunno how autopilot would work anymore. Either way, legalism is a good way of increasing your demesne size cap, and military organization's good if you have Legacy of Rome and so can raise and maintain your own retinues.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I forgot that there were changes to the research system, since last I ever bothered to learn about it was from Kersch's LP. That'll teach me to not keep up with that sort of thing.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Weird request but this is the thread for it: I have a save game from an earlier patch & version of CK2+ that a buddy and I have been using for our multiplayer game. Obviously, I'd like to update it so we can continue playing. Loading it in the latest patch with CK2+ goes fine, but the game crashes when I select the Kingdoms map mode. Any modder/save game editor out there who can help me?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

RagnarokAngel posted:

What exactly is the problem? I'm not trying to talk down to you just the general principle is the same just another level.

If you're getting a lot of rebellions, spread your vassals around and give it to people who like you.

I think the main things that happen when I finally take the throne of England are:
1. having to actually keep track of all of my vassals and figure out which lands should go to who
2. having to actually keep track of all my children and figure out what good alliances would be, and who they should marry

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
So this is interesting. In the game I previously mentioned the Timurids arrived and were set to invade the Ilkhanate, until the khan got overthrown and replaced, causing the war to end. Now There are just doomstacks of attritionless horsemen wandering the map.

Edit: Turns out they just decided to set up shop in Hungary. :staredog: I hope the HRE and France can hold them back or else Europe is completely hosed

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 7, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
While I was invading someone I saw an attritionless stack 260K units also invading them.

So I guess decadence revolts kind of suck.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leb posted:

Broken Cog posted:

Knuc If U Buck posted:

As long as you try to be careful with guys who have have claims, dynasty members are preferable because of the +5 bonus, but yeah, it's sometimes not easy to spot the stealth claim and that's when you get drama.

We are speaking about elective succession, and this is just wrong. Your non-dynasty vassals get +20 opinion in elective succession, while all vassals of your dynasty have -5 for elective succession. Coupled with +5 for being of your dynasty, your non-family vassals have a +20 better opinion of you than your relatives. This should make you careful in installing your relatives as vassals if you run elective. Not only will non-family vassals generally provide more troops and pay more taxes for liking you more, depending on the setup of your realm if you have many kingdoms, they could all go to different dynasty members which would either split your realm apart of leave you as an emperor with extremely strong king-level vassals. I'm speaking of experience, where my son and my uncle split apart my 7 kingdom realm, and it took 50 years to merge them together again (I had the worst luck with assassinations).

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Okay, so I thought I had a handle on all the mechanics in this game but I guess combat still eludes me. What is the purpose of there being 3 positions to place your troops in? As far as I can tell the most efficient use of manpower is always to concentrate all your troops in the centre and just crush whatever's in your way. For example, if I try to take on the 21k men the Seljuk invasion has with an army of 30k men spread out across all 3 positions, I get crushed. If I concentrate all my troops in the centre, more often than not they'll be victorious. Is there ever a situation where I want my soldiers to be on the flanks as well as in the centre?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

We are speaking about elective succession, and this is just wrong. Your non-dynasty vassals get +20 opinion in elective succession, while all vassals of your dynasty have -5 for elective succession. Coupled with +5 for being of your dynasty, your non-family vassals have a +20 better opinion of you than your relatives. This should make you careful in installing your relatives as vassals if you run elective. Not only will non-family vassals generally provide more troops and pay more taxes for liking you more, depending on the setup of your realm if you have many kingdoms, they could all go to different dynasty members which would either split your realm apart of leave you as an emperor with extremely strong king-level vassals. I'm speaking of experience, where my son and my uncle split apart my 7 kingdom realm, and it took 50 years to merge them together again (I had the worst luck with assassinations).

I thought he was talking generally, I didn't read the post he quoted. :shobon:

BBJoey posted:

Okay, so I thought I had a handle on all the mechanics in this game but I guess combat still eludes me. What is the purpose of there being 3 positions to place your troops in? As far as I can tell the most efficient use of manpower is always to concentrate all your troops in the centre and just crush whatever's in your way. For example, if I try to take on the 21k men the Seljuk invasion has with an army of 30k men spread out across all 3 positions, I get crushed. If I concentrate all my troops in the centre, more often than not they'll be victorious. Is there ever a situation where I want my soldiers to be on the flanks as well as in the centre?

You take more manpower losses with all your troops on a single flank, but your morale takes less damage. I guess use it if you need to win a single decisive battle and aren't worried about overall losses. I can't be bothered organising flanks so I just slap my best commanders in the center throughout my stacks and the lesser commanders on the flanks, and try to win by numbers/terrain

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Allyn posted:

This is close but didn't quite work -- it made it so that, say, the Empire of Castille needs to be held by a non-AI in order to create the Empire of Castille, which is a catch-22, naturally. I tried all of the following 3:
<snip>

And they all came up with "this title cannot be created normally", so I'm only getting further away :(

How about :
code:
allow = {
       ROOT = {
              ai = no
       }
This may be a stupid question, but you did try this first, right?
code:
allow = {
       ai = no
}

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Knuc If U Buck posted:

You take more manpower losses with all your troops on a single flank, but your morale takes less damage. I guess use it if you need to win a single decisive battle and aren't worried about overall losses. I can't be bothered organising flanks so I just slap my best commanders in the center throughout my stacks and the lesser commanders on the flanks, and try to win by numbers/terrain

The one thing I'd like to have is the battles being more unpredictable. An army should be able to beat a force three times its size very rarely, but right now it's practically impossible.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

I am curious how the "political concerns" malus works, as it seems to completely prevent marriage entirely no matter how many plusses you have otherwise.

I have a female monarch and am requesting a marriage of an independent duke of the same dynasty (the historical marriage of Queen Thamar and David Soslan), and it denies me the opportunity based on "political concerns." It is a non-matrilineal marriage and relatively straightforward, I'm just curious about the game logic that prevents the marriage.

For what it's worth, using CKII+.

Basically it boils down to "the AI sees your realm as one of its greatest threats and thus doesn't want to ally with you". When it comes to marrying independent rulers you usually have best results going for someone who doesn't actually border you but is nearby since the AI basically goes "OK you're not a threat and you'll probably help me against all these assholes I border".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, gently caress the Byzantines in the 867 start when you're playing as Venice. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to have drifted out of the empire at this point, but Venezia is still vulnerable to the de jure CB, and I pretty much have to keep 2k-ish on hand all the time to make sure I have enough mercs to beat that fucker in purple through guerilla warfare.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BBJoey posted:

I am not sure about the Seljuks but the mongols concentrate all their manpower in the center flank for some reason, so if you wish to be able to beat them you must do the same. For all other battles it is best to have an even spread since the left and right flanks get a bonus toward the other flanks (flanking them).

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, gently caress the Byzantines in the 867 start when you're playing as Venice. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to have drifted out of the empire at this point, but Venezia is still vulnerable to the de jure CB, and I pretty much have to keep 2k-ish on hand all the time to make sure I have enough mercs to beat that fucker in purple through guerilla warfare.

Why not swear fealty to them? You can do whatever you want anyway, except that you are protected by the Empire. As long as you are well liked by the Emperor nothing bad should happen, and since you only have 1 starting county you could have your chancellor permanently placed in Constantinople. And since you have lots of cash you can send him gifts once in a while if things start going south.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

I haven't tried this as Venice, but in the Amalfi game I'm playing atm, I swore fealty to them, and have had a lot of fun balancing my needs against the restrictions of the empire. They've been incredibly useful because instead of causing me problems, they prevent me from having headaches with the African Muslims who want Sicily back. I mean sure, I had to shatter the empire to pieces to lower crown auth so I could get the last few provinces I need to form Sicily, but you probably won't have to do that.

edit- Beaten, pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Does CK2+ increase the likelihood of your commanders in dying? I tried giving a muslim country a shot for a change of pace and in my very first war I lost my king and then his heir and like 4 of my vassals. In one battle I completely crushed the enemy and all 3 of my commanders died. :psyduck: I've got no one left with a decent martial score and it's just six years in.

• Locked thread