Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
In my "That's never happened before" scenario, Montezuma was the first to hit the Renaissance on a Standard/Continents/Deity game. When I checked demographics to see where to put my spy, I learn he's actually LAST in literacy. Never seen anyone enter the Renaissance first and be last in tech at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Brannock posted:

Investing in religion is not worth the effort

Faith-generation is ultimately terrain-dependent, which means that religion can be a little hit or miss. If you're generating tons of faith then it is pretty easy to get a jumpstart on the other civs and churn out missionaries before they can adequately defend themselves. But if your starting location doesn't lend itself to good faith generation, then it isn't the end of the world. I think the benefits are pretty well balanced against the drawbacks - just don't try to bootstrap yourself into a religion purely with temples and wonders.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I know on Immortal and Deity even with great faith generation it is basically a waste to try and find a religion other than incidentally. I had a Pacal Deity game where I was generating absurd 100+ faith per turn and I could barely spread my religion beyond my borders.

My biggest complaint with BNW is how mangled religion feels, which is odd because it was such a great addition to the base game.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Thanks for answering my question about the map script thing.

Gyshall posted:

How do I use this?

e: and is it BNW compatible?

I haven't had any problems (yet) using it with BNW.
I'm apparently not smart enough to understand how to change a file extension in Windows but the dumb-rear end brute force way to do it would be to subscribe to PerfectWorld in the Steam Workshop then find the mod file in the appropriate folder on your computer, open up the PerfectWorld3.lua file in notepad and copy-paste the altered version over the old version and save the file.

I'm sure someone smarter then me can give you a better answer though.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Why did they add the tech per city penalty in BNW? Was ICS really that bad in Vanilla/GnK?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I know on Immortal and Deity even with great faith generation it is basically a waste to try and find a religion other than incidentally. I had a Pacal Deity game where I was generating absurd 100+ faith per turn and I could barely spread my religion beyond my borders

You really have to get the faith-generation early if you want to spread it far and wide. In my last game where I was pushing religion, I was pumping out between 50-100 faith per turn throughout most of the game - eventually topping out near 200 - thanks to Stone Circles and a bunch of quarries. Since I had such an early advantage over the computer, I was able to spread my religion all over the map before they could get themselves going, which led to an overwhelming pressure advantage that the AI was never really able to contend with.

James Totes posted:

Why did they add the tech per city penalty in BNW? Was ICS really that bad in Vanilla/GnK?

The lord decreed that yea, there shall be four cities of the chosen. So sayeth the lord. And when a fifth city doth attempt to be founded, it shall be smited and thrown into the pit of unhappiness.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 7, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They've slowly been trying to erode ICS.

In Vanilla it was really really bad. Now it might lean a bit too much towards tall but the culture game is more friendly to wide now at least.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I find the best thing about using faith early is that it forces the ai to use resources to re convert their cities and not mine. It also frees me up to create other stuff with my early faith generation. I find that if I establish some religion early then I can cruise control it and use it to fill in gaps on great people down the road.

I feel like founding a religion early and spreading it early makes the ai chase its tail a bit with little cost to me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Are Great Prophets supposed to be able to go anywhere at anytime? Or did I run into an AI bug while I was playing earlier today?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Great People and Missionaries are not hindered by border agreements, yours or theirs (Though Missionaries lose faith power if open borders aren't in effect).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Great People and Missionaries are not hindered by border agreements, yours or theirs (Though Missionaries lose faith power if open borders aren't in effect).
What about crossing oceans if their origin civilization hasn't researched Astronomy (and they are not Kamehameyamaha)?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jastiger posted:

I find the best thing about using faith early is that it forces the ai to use resources to re convert their cities and not mine. It also frees me up to create other stuff with my early faith generation. I find that if I establish some religion early then I can cruise control it and use it to fill in gaps on great people down the road.

I feel like founding a religion early and spreading it early makes the ai chase its tail a bit with little cost to me.

Yeah, the more you spend early, the less you have to spend later (often none) to maintain it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Confirmed: Kilimanjaro + Inca = extra movement in hills.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Matrim posted:

You can take a happiness religion and then spread it really fast, which will help all of your happiness issues. Ceremonial burials means that missionaries are worth 1 happiness each in the early game. +2 happiness from temples is also a good bet, as you have a bonus to building them and want them anyways with a piety start.
This is true, but my main concern is that, since Happiness problems are most prominent in the very early game, you might not even be able to get your population high enough to reap the benefits of Religious Center (+2 :) Temples). Next game I could try see how a Piety opener works, I could see you being able to do something with Pagodas if you go early warmonger-wide and leverage your +1 Faith Shrines and Temples into buying a poo poo-ton of those. It might not be reliable enough unless you get a Faith-generating Pantheon or UA (the AI now loves Pagodas), but I guess I'll find out.

Also, with the changes to science prices, Pagodas are totes the way to go. You never, ever want to Puppet now.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
They love it now? Pagodas were also high-demand back in G&K in my experience.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Matrim posted:

Try playing as Byzantine and grabbing religious texts and itinerant preachers and Borobudur. Then bee-line for printing press. If you can convert the city states around you and your four cities, you can be assured that in the next 100 turns every city will be your religion with zero effort on your part. Sure, they'll try and convert a few cities, but the 150+ pressure that every city has will mean that they'll flip back to you in no time at all.

The other alternative is to convince other civs not to spread religion to you, either by asking them after they convert one of your cities or by killing them when they refuse to stop.

Don't forget to add Unity of the Prophets Reformation bonus.

I spread my religion to an entire continent with two missionaries hitting 2 City stats each. That was enough to spread to 20+ cities.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've given up on religion but mainly because I really don't understand faith generation unless I end up in a mostly desert map and get that desert tile bonus.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

What about crossing oceans if their origin civilization hasn't researched Astronomy (and they are not Kamehameyamaha)?

No, did this happen? I'm sure theres an explanation though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rick posted:

I've given up on religion but mainly because I really don't understand faith generation unless I end up in a mostly desert map and get that desert tile bonus.

Build Structures that generate faith?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So is there a mod that makes the AI not absolutely retarded when it comes to water? I can't believe its so difficult for them to figure it out when ground units don't even need water transports anymore.

Having a world war is kind of difficult when none of the participants are capable of an amphibious invasion

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Away all Goats posted:

So is there a mod that makes the AI not absolutely retarded when it comes to water? I can't believe its so difficult for them to figure it out when ground units don't even need water transports anymore.

Having a world war is kind of difficult when none of the participants are capable of an amphibious invasion

Just play on Pangea?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Away all Goats posted:

Civilization 5: Empire Total War

ETB posted:

Just play on Pangea?

This is a really stupid response.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

No, did this happen? I'm sure theres an explanation though.
I think I figured it out.

I'm playing a game using the "Continents Plus Plus" modification that someone posted a few pages back. Huge map, 5 billion years old, Medium sea level. I have a seven-city empire as the Shoshone, and three City-States nearby. All of a sudden in the year 900 Catherine says hello and I'm trying to figure out just where in the gently caress she's at because I thought for sure I'd explored everything I could without hitting sea.

Turns out Moscow's on the other main continent and I'm even more confused. Even worse: it turns out she's met me because she decided to send a Great Prophet to my continent to convert all of my neighboring City-States to Eastern Orthodoxy when they're already following my religion.

I opened the In-Game Editor mod and took control of her, and noticed that I'd missed a single tile of coastal water that that connects the distant islands together and allows you to go from one main continent to the other. I'd thought it was ocean.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Rick posted:

It's all about leveraging your regional resources. Civ 5 map scripts encourage resource trading by putting lots of a couple kinds of resource near each spawn. If you have a good amount of wine/incense, stone/marble, desert, gold/silver, or gems/pearls, then you have what you need to get your religion started right*. Grab pottery for the shrine, and push it out quick so that you can get the pantheon you need. At that point, it's just a matter of deciding how much you want to prioritize faith production and generating that first prophet. On the other hand, if you don't have any of those resources then you're probably better off selecting a pantheon bonus that will help you in the short term with something specific - for example getting Monument to the Gods is a great bonus for grabbing those early wonders, and it stops being useful right around the time the AI comes by and converts your cities anyway.

*Or technically a couple of natural wonders or tundra, but it's really difficult to get a good start with those.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 7, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Do automated workers eventually start building roads between cities like they did in previous games?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kaal posted:

The lord decreed that yea, there shall be four cities of the chosen. So sayeth the lord. And when a fifth city doth attempt to be founded, it shall be smited and thrown into the pit of unhappiness.

This is more or less how it works for people who don't get their hands on Holy Warriors.

And i expect there to be a faith penalty for cities at some point in the future.

Project1 posted:

Do automated workers eventually start building roads between cities like they did in previous games?

I don't think so and if they do that is a prime reason to never automate workers. You can use the "auto connect" order from the worker tasks tho.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Project1 posted:

Yes they will but normally they'll try to improve all/most of the resources near the new city first.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You can tell what the worker would do based on the suggestions that you see on tiles. That's what the AI considers to be a priority.

If you see suggested road tiles between two cities, an automated worker would prioritize building that. In my experience the problem with the automated AI isn't that it builds too few roads, it's that it tries to build roads to the stupidest places. Yeah, I plopped down that city 20 tiles out of the way in the mountains to grab 3 luxuries, but I don't need a road headed to it!

I get really bored or managing workers midway through the game and would really love it if I could either mark tiles as off-limits (let me keep my goddamn bananas) or queue up worker orders.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 7, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Verviticus posted:

Religions are really useful and powerful if you actually spread them properly. I used to use missionaries to spread to my own cities and then out, but foregoing whatever religious benefits you get from that to early spread to as many civs as you can near you will yield much better results. In my last dozen games I've been getting anywhere from 120-250 gpt from tithe. That's worth a couple missionaries/prophets and rushing Borobodur (which loving owns)

The computer seems to tend to try to spread as close to home as possible. If you spread out wide early on you can pretty easily take over enough space with a religion that you rarely have to deal with it being subverted.

My argument wasn't really that religion isn't useful or powerful. I know it is, religions can be crazy good if done right. It's just really not fun at all trying to spread and maintain it. I've never had your experience where you can just sit back and not have to deal with missionary/GP spam from the AI. At any given time I can spot 3 or 4 AI GPs hanging around territory I've recently converted or was trying to convert. I know there are ways to deal with it, it's just a pain in the rear end and tedious, even doing the things you say here. The strategy is powerful but the act of enacting it is really tedious and I'm pretty much done with it. The only religions I'll found from now on will only be for my own cities.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I know it's my own fault for not grabbing it when I could, but it's still total bullshit when a city-state snakes its territory four tiles out and grabs the horses that are two tiles away from my new city. There's a perfectly good iron tile on the other side of the CS, but nooo, you had to go and be that guy, didn't you, Malacca?

Tempted to assimilate them just out of spite, but I dunno... attacking one CS basically gets them all permanently annoyed at you, yeah? I've never gone much in for bullying the CSes.

vvv Good idea, thanks. Fortunately I went Honor and had a GG loitering around.

LaserShark fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 7, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LaserShark posted:

I know it's my own fault for not grabbing it when I could, but it's still total bullshit when a city-state snakes its territory four tiles out and grabs the horses that are two tiles away from my new city. There's a perfectly good iron tile on the other side of the CS, but nooo, you had to go and be that guy, didn't you, Malacca?

Tempted to assimilate them just out of spite, but I dunno... attacking one CS basically gets them all permanently annoyed at you, yeah? I've never gone much in for bullying the CSes.

Just Great General bomb them. That puts you into a state of war but you can just sue for peace and there won't be a particularly harsh diplomacy penalty.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Anyone selling this game cheaper than full price at the moment?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So has anyone tried a military victory as Venice for kicks?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Holy hell is spain ever broken. Third turn I find a mt kilimanjaro, so I get to instantly buy a settler, get extra movement on my warrior and scouts, and by turn 10 or so I have a second city working a 6 food 4 culture tile (to which I add 8 faith a little later on with the pantheon belief). I wander around a bit more, find two more nat wonders; not the first this time, so I only get 200 free gold, but I still end up with enough to buy another settler. Then a little later I wander into El Dorado, as the first, so now it's turn 28 and I already have three cities and nearly 1500 gold. This feels like cheating.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
That makes up for the 10 other starts after that where you'll never find a natural wonder :(

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah, that's an unusually good start for Spain. I recently did a Spain game and also found Kilimanjaro right away, allowing me to found a second city off the bat, but I was never the first to find a natural wonder after that.

Also I thought it was only 100g for being the second to discover a nat wonder? Or is it different for epic/marathon?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Also I thought it was only 100g for being the second to discover a nat wonder? Or is it different for epic/marathon?
It is, I meant I got 2x 100.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought Venice's start bias was supposed to guarantee it, like, the best coastal start possible? I just got thrown in the middle of a bunch of mountains, every usable tile forested plains, a couple deer, truffles, and gems, but no river, and no sea resources. :wtc:

Thanks game, I appreciate the killer production potential here, good thing I don't need to feed anyone before I can start working all these sweet hill tiles and lumber mills, waitaminute.

One restart later, this time it has thrown me into the arctic circle. Tundra and snow. Whatever, I've got a few whale pods and some pearls and some fish, a couple tiles of deer to get me started, and a few hills. Challenge accepted.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 7, 2013

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there a goon group/irc/something to set up Civ5 games with goons? I've been really enjoying just chilling and playing this game, even thought I'm pretty bad at it.

Is there anywhere I can read up on best ways to play certain Civs or some pro tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nope, Venice start bias doesn't guarantee sea resources at all. Only a coastal start at most.

• Locked thread