Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Anyone have any tips on cooking a pizza on a gas BBQ? I have a pizza stone that I have been romancing lately, and my mother would like me to conserve her electricity costs (I am cranking the oven to max temps every time, she hates it).
Ideally, remove yourself and your pizza stone from an equation involving your mother. :laugh: That said: if you don't have a peel, some people have had admirable results brushing a hot grill with olive oil and putting your stretched dough on there, giving in a few moments (after it inevitably expands), flipping it, and building your pizza in a whirlwind right on the grill with sauce / cheese / misc. going on after that first flip. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I have been making pizza on a stone with my father since I was about 12 years old so roughly 15 years now and I've been at it for a long time. I've worked on a few tricks here and there with the flour and I've found that so far the easiest and most basic dough recipe for me is.

3 cups of flour (you'll need probably an additional for when you mix the dough depending on humidity and water.)
1 packet of yeast
a few pinches of salt
1 cup Warm - slightly hot water (pour yeast into)
3 tablespoons of olive oil (pour into water)
1-3 tablespoons of honey (pour into water)

Mix together and knead dough mix flour in as needed if dough is too sticky / moist.
Coat mixing bowl with olive oil and place kneaded dough inside. Cover with a moist towel and place somewhere where it will keep warm to rise. Check back in a few hours and punch the dough down.

Its a pretty decent and easy dough to make. Not overly sweet but the honey adds a nice flavor and counter to the salt.

I generally preheat my oven to 550 with the stone inside (do not do this if you have an electric oven as electric ovens will wreck havoc on stones due to the sudden heat jumps of the coil. It can cause the game to crack! I lost a few stones this way back when I was forced to live with an electric oven wasn't fun. You have to be very careful about preheating stones in them.)

When you put the pizza in I generally turn it down to 450 and check it in about 10 minutes to see if i need to add additional toppings like pepperonis etc...

A little trick I like to do before before putting the pizza in the oven is to coat the crust with olive oil mixed with a little garlic powder and herbs n spices. It gives a little more flavor to the pizza and helps it brown nicely.

Alternatively if you like stuffed crust pizza I like to take string cheese and roll the crust around it it can turn out really well and if you get extra creative you can roll up pepperoni around the cheese.

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Anyone have any tips on cooking a pizza on a gas BBQ? I have a pizza stone that I have been romancing lately, and my mother would like me to conserve her electricity costs (I am cranking the oven to max temps every time, she hates it).
Sadly I've only ever done Charcoal grill pizzas with a stone on it. Not sure how gas would work but I'd imagine it would be similar to an oven as the temperature is easier to control. You'll probably have to experiment with how high you need to raise the stone off the grill and how far away from the flame.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

The only problem I had baking pizza on a propane grill was the fact that I was using multiple bricks to cook it on, and they were prone to separate and make a big mess if I wasn't careful.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to cook pizza forever, and I've never really made one that came out very well. I've used all sorts of recipes, but no matter what they just never taste quite right.

I use a pizza stone and preheat the oven to 550 (hottest my oven will go), and I let the dough rise a whole night before cooking and everything, but no matter what it just never tastes right. It gets charred reasonably well on the bottom, but like today I tried and it just tasted kinda stale and chewy and not really in a good way.

The things I think might be the problem are:

- Not kneaded enough. I have a kitchenaid stand mixer that I use the dough hook with but I'm always pretty skeptical of whether it's actually kneading it well, or just moving around not really accomplishing anything. I can't really ever windowpane the dough or anything, no matter how long I mix it. I've tried to knead it by hand for awhile but honestly that doesn't really seem to help that much either.
- Too dry. I'm kinda wondering if my dough is just too dense because it's too dry, but I'm not really sure how to tell.
- Flour too old. I used bread flour this past time today that I think is a few months old. Does flour get to the point where you need to replace it or it'll make things taste stale? Sorry if this an idiot question if the answer is yes, I'm sort of new to cooking and really like pizza so I wanted that to be the first thing I got really good at making.

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions. I thought about ordering 00 flour but I was taking the Good Eats advice of just using bread flour. Not sure if that would make a big difference. The problem I have though is it's very hard to communicate exactly what my problem is with the taste or texture through here because I don't really know how to describe it. It just tastes kinda flat or something, and really chewy but not like in a good way.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Stefan Prodan posted:

- Too dry. I'm kinda wondering if my dough is just too dense because it's too dry, but I'm not really sure how to tell.

What recipe are you using for the dough? I'm guessing that you're not putting enough water in, but without your recipe, it's tough to tell.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Recommendations for cheeses to do a white pie??

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Provolone, cheddar, and smoked gouda.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Veritek83 posted:

What recipe are you using for the dough? I'm guessing that you're not putting enough water in, but without your recipe, it's tough to tell.

It's hard to say because I kinda switch off hoping one will be better than the other. The one I tend to try going back to just because the dude seems to have researched it so thoroughly is Jeff Varasano's pizza recipe which is here

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

However the most recent one I did was from the modernist cuisine where the flour/water ratio did seem really high (3.75 cups of flour to 1.33 cups of water), so it probably was just too dry I think, in addition to whateverr else might have been wrong with it

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Ricotta!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I figured ricotta was in there for sure, but I always thought there was usually another cheese or two at most good pizzerias??

Smoked gouda sounds pretty dope though. I got that for the first time a couple months ago and goddamn son. I am down with that idea

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

RE: gas grill pizzas

kuskus posted:

That said: if you don't have a peel, some people have had admirable results brushing a hot grill with olive oil and putting your stretched dough on there, giving in a few moments (after it inevitably expands), flipping it, and building your pizza in a whirlwind right on the grill with sauce / cheese / misc. going on after that first flip. YMMV.

I do something similar, but have taken the frantic pizza building out of my equation. I just make little personal size dough disks, throw them all down on the grill, take them all off after one side gets some nice grill marks, and close the lid. Then I let everyone casually top the cooked side of their personal pizzas the way they want while the grill comes back up to temperature. That way, the cheese melts nicely on top without having to worry about the bottom burning. I sauté all toppings beforehand because they will not cook well on the grill.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Anyone build a wood fired oven in their yard??

I'm tempted every year, but always balk at the price tag.

I really, really want one, but not for $3-4000.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

NosmoKing posted:

Anyone build a wood fired oven in their yard??

I'm tempted every year, but always balk at the price tag.

I really, really want one, but not for $3-4000.

I have a pizza oven build currently ongoing, documented here; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553893

If you have the time a self-build can be done quite cheaply compared to getting a prefabricated oven.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 18, 2013

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

TITS AND COOTERS YOU FAGGOT
Thought I'd bring the thread some love. This is one of my most recent. A long cold ferment and a simplified sauce but the recipe hasn't changed much otherwise. We don't order out anymore. There's literally no point. What you see here is 16" and about maybe $2.50. It doesn't get much better.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
drat that looks great, what recipe are you using for your crust?

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

drat that looks great, what recipe are you using for your crust?

You can find it in this thread back on page 12.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks man, I'm gonna try that :)

That's cool that you got ahold of Varasano, I'll try and do some of that stuff also

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Thanks man, I'm gonna try that :)

That's cool that you got ahold of Varasano, I'll try and do some of that stuff also

Great, I hope it works out for you! Looking back at what I wrote the only thing that's really changed is I use 1/4 tsp of yeast because you really just don't need any more. I also cold ferment for at least overnight and up to four days now (ie: 1 hour rise at room temp, punch down, roll, put in fridge). I use a gladware container with some holes poked in it and sprayed down with Pam to store the dough while it ferments. I've found that while the taste isn't particularly better the spring/structure is.

agentseven fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 5, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

That's a killer looking pie. Nice job!

I really need to get my ability to make nice round shapes down!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

agentseven posted:

Great, I hope it works out for you! Looking back at what I wrote the only thing that's really changed is I use 1/4 tsp of yeast because you really just don't need any more. I also cold ferment for at least overnight and up to four days now (ie: 1 hour rise at room temp, punch down, roll, put in fridge). I use a gladware container with some holes poked in it and sprayed down with Pam to store the dough while it ferments. I've found that while the taste isn't particularly better the spring/structure is.

Man that's a tiny amount of yeast. I use a lot more than that usually. I'll try cutting it down that much because I usually let it rise 24 hours in the fridge anyway.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
In case anyone is REALLY TRULY interested in Jeff Varasano's journey:

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

My brother worked for him at his store for about 3 years so we get bitchin pizza at home.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've read that page about 20 times haha, that's why I thought it was cool that agentseven got up with him

I still can't make actual restaurant quality pizza in my house though :(

I mean bad restaurant maybe but I never quite get it to where I think it's really good. I did make one by pure hand kneading last time though and it was a lot better than previous attempts. I think part of it was I always wanted the kitchenaid I paid like $300 for to actually do its job and knead the drat thing but it never ends up being kneaded :(

I'm trying agentseven's recipe today to make tomorrow or Wednesday, will see how it goes.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 5, 2013

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
By the way when Varasano said to add some oil to the dough, did he mean to add it to the actual dough itself before making the pizza, or to brush it on the rim after assembly? Or the whole top of the pizza?

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

By the way when Varasano said to add some oil to the dough, did he mean to add it to the actual dough itself before making the pizza, or to brush it on the rim after assembly? Or the whole top of the pizza?
He meant add it to the actual dough. You'll notice my recipe has a bit of oil in there. I brush oil on the crust too, but that's to get some flavor and browning.

Also, if you knead in your KA like my recipe tells you to, your mind will be blown by how slack the dough is when you go to stretch it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'll try but I mean my kitchenaid has literally never been able to knead any dough worth a poo poo at all for some reason

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'll try but I mean my kitchenaid has literally never been able to knead any dough worth a poo poo at all for some reason

I as a human being have never been able to knead dough for a poo poo, and I always wind up with a hunk of dough that is so rubbery any attempt to flatten it results in it returning to a ball shape.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

agentseven posted:

He meant add it to the actual dough. You'll notice my recipe has a bit of oil in there. I brush oil on the crust too, but that's to get some flavor and browning.

Also, if you knead in your KA like my recipe tells you to, your mind will be blown by how slack the dough is when you go to stretch it.

What do you set your KA at to knead the dough? I've had very little luck making pizza dough in general, but that's probably because:

I don't own a scale (no room for more stuff, tiny kitchen)
I live in a very humid part of the country, so my dough is almost certainly over hydrated.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
You actually want it pretty wet when you knead it anyway using a KA. I leave my KA at 1 for about a minute or two to incorporate the ingredients, then let it sit for ~20 minutes. I only use about 75% of my total flour (I eyeball it) so it's nice and wet. After the 20 minute rest, I knead for 5 minutes at 1, then turn it up to 2 while I slowly add the rest of the flour over another 3 minutes or so. I use a rubber spatula to push any dough on the edges back down so it gets mixed in better. Once it starts climbing up the dough hook and turning into a ball I let it run for a few more seconds to make sure then shut it down.

That's basically Varsano's method give or take, and it seems to work pretty well. I do split out all my ingredients by weight, for what it's worth, but I generally will stop adding flour when the dough hits that change point and balls up/climbs the hook.

:Edit: I got a really small mechanical scale from Marshals for about $5. The scale itself sits inside its basket and has a lid, it's no bigger then 3 inches by 4 inches all packed up, and I just put a larger Tupperware on top for the flour.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 7, 2013

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

What do you set your KA at to knead the dough? I've had very little luck making pizza dough in general, but that's probably because:

I don't own a scale (no room for more stuff, tiny kitchen)
I live in a very humid part of the country, so my dough is almost certainly over hydrated.

I knead on 2.

By the way, I made this recipe in Florida last time I was out that way and it works just perfect, although adjusting the water is something that we do have to consider. The recipe as written calls for the 80g of water (in addition to the 60g in the yeast mixture). Here in Phoenix, I actually have to use 90g to get the dough the correct wetness. When I was in Florida, I had to back it down to like 70g because the dough was ridiculously sticky-wet.

Basically you're shooting for as wet as you can get the dough where it also separates from the bowl and is not impossible to work with. YMMV and unfortunately, we're stuck with trial-and-erroring that poo poo until we get it right. :/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Chicken, bacon, jalapeno pizza. Oh my god, this was amazing.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

My first pizza! :buddy:

Edit: poo poo, this thread was dead. I hosed up. :smith:

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

pseudorandom posted:

Edit: poo poo, this thread was dead. I hosed up. :smith:

Don't feel bad. We could all use more pizza.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
This thread shall never die goons will always need pizza.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom posted:

I have what appears to be that exact same cast iron skillet. I may have to try making my own skillet pizza.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This is my go-to recipe for delicious cast iron pan pizza.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

yay pizza!

Half buffalo, half mozz/cheddar with sauteed mushrooms, squash, diced tomatoes and red/white onions. Yum.

There were other pizzas, but both stones I had exploded yesterday. RIP.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
Questionable tomato distribution.

Just kidding, looks great, would eat the hell out of it. I miss my old pizza stone.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Heheh yeah that bothered me after I looked at the picture that was taken, but we were already eating by then! It was fixed when it was cut :)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I pizza'd.

There's a local pizza place near me that makes kimchi pizza, but they're never open. I got tired of trying, so I made my own.

Before cooking and before cheese:

After cooking:

I've made cast iron pizza before. After reading this thread, I tried using the broiler instead.

I think I messed up a little because of how long it took. Are you supposed to let the oven preheat when you broil? I put a hot pan under the not-preheated broiler and left the door cracked open. Half way through cooking, I blotted the mushroom water off the top and shut the door.

Also, stuffed crust isn't worth it, especially on a 12-inch pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
The way I've seen kimchi pizza is taking a relatively plain pizza and putting chopped up kimchi on at the table.