Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The best is clearly Kanji and Naoto. Beauty and the Beast for the win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

King of Solomon posted:

That's the thing, though. You don't really need Naoto to do this. Pretty much every other character is very good at doing this, too, without the detriment of being virtually useless in boss battles.

EDIT: My party in Golden was Yosuke/Yukiko/Kanji. Yosuke was an excellent support character (and very good at wiping random mobs, since Boosted+Amped Magarudyne is pretty powerful), Kanji dealt serious pain with physical damage, and Yukiko's a nuke on legs with an endless SP pool that also has very good healing magic if things get severe.

You could easily build Naoto for boss battles though and she would offer both firepower and protection if you chose to go that route. That said, I ran with Yukiko, Chie and Yosuke mostly since it was the party I got in the beginning and seemed most "fun", substituting Kanji and Naoto where needed (kept levels on par). MC and Yukiko always wound up over-leveled compared to everyone else.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Nessa posted:

The best is clearly Kanji and Naoto. Beauty and the Beast for the win.
Speaking of those team up attacks, are they supposed to be absolutely terrible?
Every single time that one activated for me, it would always do about the same (or less) damage as a normal non-persona attack would.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Pyrovile posted:

Speaking of those team up attacks, are they supposed to be absolutely terrible?
Every single time that one activated for me, it would always do about the same (or less) damage as a normal non-persona attack would.

That's what I always had happened, I figured they were more for the fun factor, plus extra attack is extra attack.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The Reaper is lvl 85, right? Is it wise to fight him around that level or should I bulk up to 95 or so?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Unmature posted:

The Reaper is lvl 85, right? Is it wise to fight him around that level or should I bulk up to 95 or so?

People have taken down the reaper as low as ~40. My last go around, I took him down at lv60, but it was very much a war of attrition, and I had to play it very, very conservatively.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I think I took him on around 80 and managed to squeak away with a victory.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Well I'm lvl 80 and it's January 21. Maybe I'll head back into the TV and fight him on one of these last fleeting days of my year in Inaba. How can I game it so I save right before I fight him? His appearance is based around opening a specific number of chests, right?

EDIT: Also, if I hear the chains and Goho-M, will the whole chest sequence restart?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 3, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Unmature posted:

Well I'm lvl 80 and it's January 21. Maybe I'll head back into the TV and fight him on one of these last fleeting days of my year in Inaba. How can I game it so I save right before I fight him? His appearance is based around opening a specific number of chests, right?

EDIT: Also, if I hear the chains and Goho-M, will the whole chest sequence restart?

I think so. I've gotten the chains sounds and ran out of treasure chests on the level I was on, and he went away when I opened the next one.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I'm working my way through P3P right now on my vita and got P4G for when I finish it. I've got my game of Persons 3 on normal and things are going pretty okay so far, for Persona 4 should I keep it at normal when I start or is it different enough/made easier that I should take it to hard or something?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No real reason to play on anything higher than normal unless you really like grinding/taking more time to kill things for no real payoff.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No real reason to play on anything higher than normal unless you really like grinding/taking more time to kill things for no real payoff.

I disagree with this. There is a bit more grinding, but the boss battles are also a whole lot harder, even with the grinding. Most boss fights I've only won by the skin of my teeth on very hard, and even trashmobs wreck my poo poo if I' not careful.

I mean, you could trivialize everything by grinding for hours and hours on end, but then what's the point of playing on harder difficulties?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The only difference between Hard and Very Hard is the rate at which you gain experience and money, as well as he fact that you can't retry if you die in dungeons and thus have to restart from a save point (so you might want to save often...). Combat difficulty is identical for both. So all you gain from going from hard to very hard is a big time sink as well as a lot of lost time if you die and didn't remember to save at the start of the floor. From normal to hard the difference is just that you take more damage and deal less damage, which will make fights drag out longer (or end more abruptly).

So long as you avoid exploiting golden hands and excessive grinding, I think normal will be challenging enough for a first playthrough. I only know one person who plays P4G and he started it on hard, which he regretted since it made some of the dungeons take far too long to finish. But then again people have different tastes with regards to how much combat to go through to advance the story.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I played P3P on Easy since it was my first SMT game and played P4G on Normal. P4G's Normal didn't feel too different from P3P's Easy.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Part of the problem is the inverse difficulty curve of P4G. It can be really hard starting out until you get some levels and decent personas going and can customize them with cards and stuff, then it becomes pretty easy. Unless you neglect fusing new personas or boosing the old ones with skill and stat cards, and remain underleveled. Normal can be hard if you don't use the options you have available to you properly.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 3, 2013

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I found Normal to be fine for my first playthrough. The only problem was that I did bonus bosses because I felt like it, and as a result, ended up overlevelled and found most fights fairly trivial. I'm going through P3P at the moment, and I'd agree with Nessa - P3P Easy is about the same difficulty as P4G Normal.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
From the sounds of it I'll probably go with normal for my first time through with it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Speaking of over leveling. I NEVER grind more than I need to in games, but in P4G I fall into these grind holes and spend hours doing it. I just find the battle system and rewards so engaging.

The "final" boss beat me twice so I went into you-know-who's dungeon and grinded up from 70 to 80. Then I beat him and saw I could summon Lucifer at 93. ...so I did. These last two dungeons are probably gonna be a breeze now.

EDIT: Wow, this Marie dungeon is just... bad.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 4, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/05/report-sega-bidding-on-atlus-parent-company/

Index (parent company of Atlus) is up for auction- 20 companies have bid, including Sega.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Sega is the last company I want to see get their hands on Atlus, maybe short of Activision Blizzard if they had any interest in it (which I doubt).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AG3 posted:

Sega is the last company I want to see get their hands on Atlus, maybe short of Activision Blizzard if they had any interest in it (which I doubt).

EA would be pretty bad, too. Imagine if the true ending of Persona 4 was $10 DLC. (Though that might be more of a Capcom sort of thing to do.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a shame that the best candidate at the moment is Nintendo. I mean, it's be great for sales of Nintendo consoles, but I'd hate for the next Persona to not appear on Vita/PS3/4, or for the next crazy experiment like Catherine not to be multiplat.

Although it could potentially mean a better treatment of EU customers. Yay!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd be happy with literally anyone but Nintendo at this point.

And I don't really see the problem with Sega, they're pretty decent outside some dumb goofs with niche series (like Yakuza) but SMT sells alot more than that so I doubt we'd run into the same issue if they did get bought. Plus since Sega is one of like three Japanese companies that realize that the PC is a thing that exists, we could maybe get PC ports of future SMT titles.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Same. I'm fine with Sega getting it, honestly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really? Capcom, Squeenix and Sega would be absolute disasters for their fans.

Although Squeenix could bring PC ports... That'd good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Really? Capcom and Sega would be absolute disasters for their fans.

Capcom yes, but people keep talking about how bad sega is but I literally don't see why.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Because Sega publicly cut localization for all but its most already-Western and most generic franchises (with maybe the occasional Sonic for the filthy manchild dollars). And Persona's doing pretty good when it hits six figures.

The English-speaking world would need an actual 'call the Pope' miracle to see another Persona game again and anywhere else (or even the US if it's straight Megaten) wouldn't even have that shot.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 5, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Persona and SMT sell pretty decently here so I doubt they'd just sit on their asses and not bother with localizations. v:shobon:v

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
They're extremely text-heavy niche games that require a lot of voice acting and localization, unlike Yakuza 5, which is an extremely text-heavy niche game that requires no voice acting and relatively little localization and has yet to be even announced, half a year later. I'm still mad about Y5, and what's worse is that if it doesn't get picked up by TGS in September it probably never will.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yakuza is arguably alot more niche than SMT is these days. Don't get me wrong, I really wish Sega would loving localize Y5 already but they're kind of in different leagues at this point.

I mean, Yakuza 2 sold what, 12k copies its entire US run?

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 5, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Who wants to know when the fog is rolling in?

I DO.

Here's a review of a PERSONA WEATHER APP for iPhone owners.

It's EFF OH DOUBLE ARR FREE.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jet Ready Go posted:

Who wants to know when the fog is rolling in?

I DO.

Here's a review of a PERSONA WEATHER APP for iPhone owners.

It's EFF OH DOUBLE ARR FREE.

This is pretty much the best use for a mobile device I've ever seen in my life.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I hope it gets ported to android soon, my iPod is a piece of poo poo and I can never get it to log in to iTunes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Neat. Definitely grabbing this before it's taken down for massive copyright infringement, I'm sure.

edit: Yesssss. The game assets look nice on the iPhone screen too.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 7, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
If this works for Norway and gets an Android port, I'm going to be all over it, and I don't even use weather apps or widgets on my phone at all.

Hell, I'd probably pay money for it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

What happens when you max the slinks?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

What happens when you max the slinks?
Non-party S. Links give you an item that allows you to fuse a powerful, high-level Persona, though you still need to be at that persona's level to fuse it.

Party S. Links do that and also give that party member a pretty big power-up.

The Fox's S. Link gives you a stupid discount on the leaves. when you max it.

Marie's S. Link is needed for another dungeon and a bit of 'post-game' content.

Maxing all of them gets you a bit of jack and a handful of poo poo.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Endorph posted:

Maxing all of them gets you a bit of jack and a handful of poo poo.

The warm feeling of being a popular dude.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Endorph posted:

Very helpful stuff

I meant for the iOS weather app, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

You gain the power to control your local weather. Congratulations!

• Locked thread