Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Ha, smoking indoors.

I remember McCurdy's, but I never went to the midtown store, only the Irondequoit store.

Hell, Irondequoit mall was pretty 90's itself. Opened in 1990, was dead by 2000.

More pictures

Those lights, the railings, the tile, the glass elevator. When I think of 90's public architecture, that's what I think of.

e: I was feeling nostalgic, and was looking at more pictures, and found this:

This is the Freehold Raceway Mall; Freehold, New Jersey. It was built by the same developers, and I spent way too much time trying to remember if there was ever a Haagen Dazs in Irondequoit.

There's something about malls that transcend borders, and even oceans. This is the largest mall in the Belgium and Holland, Wijnegem.

Same shade of green, same tacky iron and glass structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Fragrag posted:

There's something about malls that transcend borders, and even oceans. This is the largest mall in the Belgium and Holland, Wijnegem.

Same shade of green, same tacky iron and glass structures.

That shade of green and beige is so loving boring it makes you spend all your money just to wake yourself up. Occasionally something fun might happen tho, here's some photos of an armed gang on motorbikes conducting a jewellry raid at my nearest mall. This has been happening regularly since the 90s.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Mousepractice posted:

That shade of green and beige is so loving boring it makes you spend all your money just to wake yourself up. Occasionally something fun might happen tho, here's some photos of an armed gang on motorbikes conducting a jewellry raid at my nearest mall. This has been happening regularly since the 90s.

If they were stopped by a group of teenagers, at least one of which is riding a skateboard, then you could repackage this as the most 90's movie. Alternatively, have them stopped by a forgetful but well-meaning dad trying to buy an all but sold-out gift on Christmas Eve.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kalos posted:

If they were stopped by a group of teenagers, at least one of which is riding a skateboard, then you could repackage this as the most 90's movie. Alternatively, have them stopped by a forgetful but well-meaning dad trying to buy an all but sold-out gift on Christmas Eve.

I'm pretty sure that was the plot of the Dean Cain classic Die Hard knockoff, Christmas Rush.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Davfff posted:

I assume you're talking about in your life time, and in America, because Ska was massive in the UK in the late 70s and early 80s, not to mention in its original forms earlier in other parts of the world.

See; The Specials, The English Beat, early UB40, The Police, etc. etc.

We're talking about very very different kinds of ska, though. The 90s thing we're talking about is "third wave" stuff, as opposed to the Jamaican or UK first and second wave.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Metanaut posted:

Airwalks spotted :

I had three of these in a row. After one wore out, I bought another just like it in a different color. I even put the decal that came in the box on my school agenda book.

Eventually I moved on to Adidas athletic sneakers, which was becoming a big brand in the 90s. You had to have 3 stripes. 2 stripes is for the poors.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ema Nymton posted:

I had three of these in a row. After one wore out, I bought another just like it in a different color. I even put the decal that came in the box on my school agenda book.

Eventually I moved on to Adidas athletic sneakers, which was becoming a big brand in the 90s. You had to have 3 stripes. 2 stripes is for the poors.

When I was a kid I spotted a woman wearing an 'Adihash' t-shirt. I was too young to understand it was a weed parody thing so I just thought it was a cheap knock-off.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I remember the third wave of ska lasting forever here in Norway. I first got introduced to it with No Doubt and some Swedish ska punk band, and later we got bands like Hopalong Knut and a couple of years ago, Ska-frika (a pun on Africa or ska freaks, I've never bothered to find out).

I like it, though. Ska is an enjoyable genre.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
One of the things from the 90s that I legitimately miss is the Pizza Hut Lunch Buffet. Endless pizza and breadsticks. I would even eat the pasta too. Man, I miss those days. Are they all gone or do I just live close to a lovely Pizza Hut?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
No, The Pizza hut in my town still has the lunch buffet, as far as I know. But I've never been there, since a local area pizza chain also has its own lunch buffet and it's really good.

I guess it depends on the size of the pizza hut and whether they make any money off the buffet. Some of them are small stores without dining areas.

For content, I loved Chi-Chi's (Mexican food) and I have fond memories of it. They did have a lunch buffet for a while, and it was so, so good. But they only had it for 1-2 years because people kept eating far too much of the food, a waiter told us.

Ema Nymton has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Aug 2, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

33 90s trends that in retrospect maybe weren't such a great idea

Some of these I don't remember or wasn't aware of, like Big Johnson shirts, Peace Frog shirts, or Stüssy.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

Ema Nymton posted:

For content, I loved Chi-Chi's (Mexican food) and I have fond memories of it. They did have a lunch buffet for a while, and it was so, so good. But they only had it for 1-2 years because people kept eating far too much of the food, a waiter told us.

I remember liking the kid's menu when I was really young, since you can also wear it as a hat:

It still exists in Belgium, Kuwait, and a few other countries, although the menu might be very different (I know at least in Europe Tex-Mex restaurants don't serve all the dishes that their American equivalents do).

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Frankston posted:

When I was a kid I spotted a woman wearing an 'Adihash' t-shirt. I was too young to understand it was a weed parody thing so I just thought it was a cheap knock-off.

In 90s England we didn't know how the US brands were meant to be pronounced, so Nike was pronounced the same was you'd say Pike, Addy-Dass instead of a-dee-dus etc, oddly enough their own adverts would pronounce them this way as well on UK tv, so it blew my mind when I heard the proper pronunciation when I was about ten years old.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Lord Dekks posted:

In 90s England we didn't know how the US brands were meant to be pronounced, so Nike was pronounced the same was you'd say Pike, Addy-Dass instead of a-dee-dus etc, oddly enough their own adverts would pronounce them this way as well on UK tv, so it blew my mind when I heard the proper pronunciation when I was about ten years old.

"Nike" comes from greek mythology and Adidas is a German brand, so I'm not sure if the UK gets a pass for getting pronunciation wrong.

Now I gotta wonder if that happened elsewhere too. It's pretty strange that the ads would get it wrong since you could sort that out with exactly one phone call.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 00:33 on Aug 3, 2013

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lord Dekks posted:

I still pronounce them the wrong way. :britain:

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Some of these I don't remember or wasn't aware of, like Big Johnson shirts, Peace Frog shirts, or Stüssy.

The Peace Frog stuff is still big in southeastern Virginia, presumably because it's a local company. I had no idea it was a 90s trend.

I had one of those Looney Tunes t-shirts, but in my defense it was a gift from my grandmother.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Ema Nymton posted:

I still seem to remember Sketchers as a relatively low-end/budget brand in the early-mid 90s. I got a pair of their Converse-styled canvas shoes which lead to at least one comment from someone who thought they were just a nice pair of Converses.

They seemed to become more popular by the latter-half of the 90s, though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still seem to remember Sketchers as a relatively low-end/budget brand in the early-mid 90s. I got a pair of their Converse-styled canvas shoes which lead to at least one comment from someone who thought they were just a nice pair of Converses.

They seemed to become more popular by the latter-half of the 90s, though.

My sisters used to wear Candies exclusively in the 90s. Apparently they're still around, with Carly Rae Jepsen as the spokesperson.

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Aug 3, 2013

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Stussy my not be a major player like it was in the late 80s-early 90s, but it's underground following is huge. Everything it shows up in the sneaker store that I go to, it's gone in a few days.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Heh, I'm still wearing a lot of that 90s "fashion". Baggy clothes 4 evar, yo.

Or something like that.

I'm also sorry (?) to say that I recognized all of those (except Big Johnson), and went through most of it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Datasmurf posted:

Heh, I'm still wearing a lot of that 90s "fashion". Baggy clothes 4 evar, yo.

Or something like that.

I'm also sorry (?) to say that I recognized all of those (except Big Johnson), and went through most of it.

Big Johnson shirts were a Big Dealtm in high school until some teacher or principal or someone actually figured out :thejoke: (which was not much of a joke.)

Also other than microfiber shirts pretty much everything I wear is baggy. Still have a lot of flannel, for practical purposes, as well.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Ah, I never saw them here in Norway. Did see a lot of Stüssy though. I've never owned a piece of flannel clothing either. Not even in the 90s. Most of my friends did, though. Well, the ones that weren't into the baggy clothes of Puff Daddy and Wu-Tang almost before we heard the music. I remember how I brought the fad of Wu-Tang merch and baggy pants to my school. No one else had ever worn stuff like that to school, but I went on a trip to a town down south where they for one reason or another had a shop that sold hip hop merch (a very rural town with nothing hip hop-esque anywhere else, I might add), and came back with baggy pants and a 2xl hoodie, and then, even the ska punk and punk kids started opening up to extremely baggy clothing.

It was weird seeing a guy with a giant, pink mohawk with a safety pin in his ear and a denim jacket with buttons and patches for random punk groups of the 80s, and then baggy pants down on their knees while walking around with Airwalks. I never got used to it.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

screenwritersblues posted:

Stussy my not be a major player like it was in the late 80s-early 90s, but it's underground following is huge. Everything it shows up in the sneaker store that I go to, it's gone in a few days.

gently caress that list because Stussy was always awesome.

I remember only ever seeing Big Johnson and Co-Ed Naked stuff at the local Six Flags or at auto races I'd go to...and then you'd see a shitload of it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Both the Big Johnson poo poo and Coed Naked (Sport) were pretty big in Montana. There was one guy (whose last name was Johnson) who had a metric shitload of those stupid shirts, I don't remember if he actually tried to wear them to school though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mactheknife posted:

We're talking about very very different kinds of ska, though. The 90s thing we're talking about is "third wave" stuff, as opposed to the Jamaican or UK first and second wave.

The UK stuff (2 Tone; the Specials, the Selecter, the Beat and so on) took the Jamaican stuff and played it a lot faster and louder. The American stuff (third wave ska; Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, that kind of thing) took pop-punk and added horns and syncopated guitar rhythms.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The late 90's Ska boom was pretty huge in the Pacific Northwest. A lot of kids in baseball pants, checkered ties and fedoras. We traveled like two hours or so up the highway to see The Toasters when they came by and that was a huge deal at the time. It was also pretty tied to the whole Warped Tour scene, and a lot of the second stringer bands were all Ska and Ska-punk bands.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The late 90's Ska boom was pretty huge in the Pacific Northwest. A lot of kids in baseball pants, checkered ties and fedoras. We traveled like two hours or so up the highway to see The Toasters when they came by and that was a huge deal at the time. It was also pretty tied to the whole Warped Tour scene, and a lot of the second stringer bands were all Ska and Ska-punk bands.

Last time I went to Warped Tour there was one ska band. They played to an audience made up entirely of people who were there to see the next band that would be on the stage. People were booing the whole time. There's probably somewhere on this planet that ska is still appreciated, but I don't know where it is. It probably sucks too. Like ska.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Last time I went to Warped Tour there was one ska band. They played to an audience made up entirely of people who were there to see the next band that would be on the stage. People were booing the whole time. There's probably somewhere on this planet that ska is still appreciated, but I don't know where it is. It probably sucks too. Like ska.

It's funny, Warped Tour is coming to my state, and the ads for it on the radio make a big deal about Reel Big Fish while playing some of their songs.

"SEE THEM LIVE AT WARPED TOUR! REEL BIG FISH!"

Stop trying to sell me on it, ad. I live on the opposite side of the country about 2400 miles away from where ska was actually popular, they weren't popular here 15 years ago, and they're not popular now. I think the only ska song that gets regular airplay nowadays (or got any at all) is Santeria by Sublime.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Thwack! posted:

If there any Vancouver goons, or goons that used to live in Vancouver (like me), did anyone remember around the late 90s where the Metrotown Mall at Burnaby had some sort of an expansion that included a bunch of stores that were aimed towards younger shoppers? I remember it had a Playdium, a bunch of stores that sold merchandise from Japan, and most especially a Rainforest Cafe. Man, when you were like 10 it was definitely the place to be.

Sorry to pull this post from the previous page, but gently caress yeeeeeeeeesssss. I immigrated to Canada from Germany in 2000, and everything about malls was weird, and strange, and amazing to me. I grew up on shopping downtown in big department stores that had their own properties. The concept of building a mall in the middle of suburbia completely zapped my (then) twelve year old brain.

Pre-renovation Metrotown and Guildford Town Center were kind of glorious in a shabby, ugly sort of way.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
Did anyone else spend late nights browsing Snopes, aka the Urban Legends Reference Pages? For little kid me it was a compendium of creepy, funny, gross, and fascinating stories. Back before Facebook and Myspace, Internet urban legends only really spread by e-mail (like creepypasta that didn't advertise itself as such) and hoax websites that were difficult to tell from the real thing. Nowadays internet urban legends are really lame.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

MajorB posted:

Did anyone else spend late nights browsing Snopes, aka the Urban Legends Reference Pages? For little kid me it was a compendium of creepy, funny, gross, and fascinating stories. Back before Facebook and Myspace, Internet urban legends only really spread by e-mail (like creepypasta that didn't advertise itself as such) and hoax websites that were difficult to tell from the real thing. Nowadays internet urban legends are really lame.

Still do. That site owns.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mactheknife posted:

Still do. That site owns.

But the site's web design is still stuck in the 90's.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

MajorB posted:

From what I've seen lately, I think, that in order to get a Facebook account, one should be required to study Snopes and pass a comprehensive 500-question exam or their account request is denied.

The latest? Jackie Chan is dead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can't even go on Facebook or Twitter anymore without seeing poo poo which is so obviously fake but which is passed around without question like it was absolute truth. I wouldn't care if it was trivial poo poo like Jackie Chan being dead* but when it comes to horrible poo poo like vaccination disinformation or anti-boat people "infographics" or outright anti-science propaganda, people believing that poo poo creates a toxic environment for everyone.

*I love Jackie, but him being dead or not isn't going to hurt anyone like parents being too scared to protect their children from diseases will.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

That, and the obnoxious "OBAMAHITLER had a SECRET CEREMONY where he swore in on the QURAN" conspiracy theories that are obviously not true but still get forwarded all over.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

anti-boat people "infographics"

What are you talking about? "Anti-boat" on google only gave me anti theft devices for yachts.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Dogdoo 8 posted:

What are you talking about? "Anti-boat" on google only gave me anti theft devices for yachts.

IIRC, "Boat people" is a [derogatory?] term for immigrants to Australia and other countries in the Oceana region.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, sadly the Australian government is desperately trying to recreate the concentration camp and a horrifying number of my fellow citizens are cheering them on to the point where our upcoming election will probably be decided on who can promise to inflict the most inhumane conditions on the tiny trickle of people who make their way here each year by boat trying to find a better life :(

I almost long for the day when the image people had of Australia was this:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, sadly the Australian government is desperately trying to recreate the concentration camp and a horrifying number of my fellow citizens are cheering them on to the point where our upcoming election will probably be decided on who can promise to inflict the most inhumane conditions on the tiny trickle of people who make their way here each year by boat trying to find a better life :(

I almost long for the day when the image people had of Australia was this:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a croc stamping on a boat person's face — forevah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

IIRC, "Boat people" is a [derogatory?] term for immigrants to Australia and other countries in the Oceana region.

It was also used back in the '80s to describe people coming from Cuba to the US, when Castro apparently emptied the prisons, resulting in lots of criminals in Florida. In the movie Scarface with Al Pacino, Tony Montana came to the US this way.

• Locked thread