Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It seems that food is not a reason to enlist in the silent service....

Do officers get their own mess and better food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Officers eat in the ward room. They get nicer dishes and silverware, but the food is the same.

True sea story: Cooks put rice in our pizza once , because "we had extra and it looked like the cheese". I guess no one told them that rice doesn't melt. :pseudo:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What the hell is wrong with the navy?

I've always been fascinated with subs and especially nuclear subs. I always had this conception you guys had good food, I mean you all live, poo poo and work right beside a nuclear reactor.

Why can't the navy select good chefs? They get people with good eyesight to be snipers and pilots. They select people with leadership qualities to be officers. why the hell can't they get someone who WANTS to be a chef to be a chef?

Rice in your pizza? Serving beans to the whole crew on a regular basis? Its like someone is TRYING to gently caress with y'all.

Also thanks so much for your replies, the little details of submarines help me understand the challenges you all face.

Are there kosher meals available?

quote:

I've had blueberries in meatloaf, almonds on pizza, and endless batches of cookies where the cooks swapped salt for sugar.

My god...

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
the good food thing is pretty much a myth, i preferred carrier food

and my god powdered milk is gross

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Baloogan posted:

What the hell is wrong with the navy?

I've always been fascinated with subs and especially nuclear subs. I always had this conception you guys had good food, I mean you all live, poo poo and work right beside a nuclear reactor.

Why can't the navy select good chefs? They get people with good eyesight to be snipers and pilots. They select people with leadership qualities to be officers. why the hell can't they get someone who WANTS to be a chef to be a chef?

Rice in your pizza? Serving beans to the whole crew on a regular basis? Its like someone is TRYING to gently caress with y'all.

Also thanks so much for your replies, the little details of submarines help me understand the challenges you all face.

Are there kosher meals available?

My god...

quality tends to go out the window when you're trying to feed a shitload of people in a small period of time multiple times a day

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Baloogan posted:

It seems that food is not a reason to enlist in the silent service....

In 2006, one of the dudes in my division was so worried about the coming global recession that he was convinced it was going to break down civilian supply systems and there would be food riots. He re-enlisted with the logic that, no matter how bad the Navy life was, they would at least guarantee him three square meals. The running joke was that he re-enlisted for lettuce.

He may or may not still be in, last I heard he had gone to mast and lost a stripe because the shipyard had issued him the wrong procedure for a maintenance item.

Baloogan posted:

What the hell is wrong with the navy? ... They select people with leadership qualities to be officers

ahahaha

The food is not bad. It's just bland. You're not going hungry unless you're crazy picky. Or vegan or something. It's just like cheap cafeteria food, with substitutions for the spoilable stuff. If you attended public school you've probably had similar. It beat the hell out of something like MREs day in and out. I think the whole 'sub food is better' thing dates from WWII-vintage surface ships without the electrical capacity for big fridges, freezers and water purifiers; I'd certainly suspect a modern warship or especially a carrier would be better, simply due to more room for choices, and having more space on the mess decks.

A kosher option would require a massively larger kitchen for all the extra cookware, so that's right out. There's also heavy use of cheese (and lard) as calorie filler - we got more than enough calories for guys to get fat even with the more strenuous watchstations. There are Orthodox Jews in the service, but none were on my boat, so I can't say how they solve it, but the more reform Jews and Muslims didn't have problems. (You sure as hell aren't taking 24 hours of Sabbath off with no flame-lighting, either.)

E: there's also some limitation in what/how you can cook since you're supposed to restrict how much noise you make, but the cooks never seemed to be that quiet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Cooks tend to be pretty dumb. Or at least they have the dumbest guy on the boat, or are in competition with the torpedo room for it. Maybe the weapons officer wins the prize. It is a race.

From what I've been told, most people who fail out of the cook school is because of fractions. You need so many quarts for 100 people. All recipes are written for 100 people. You now have 81 people. How many quarts do you need?

But we all try to keep the cooks happy since that is our food yo. Don't spit in it.

As an officer, if you are a bad officer, someone may dip their balls in your coffee.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Third World Reggin posted:

As an officer, if you are a bad officer, someone may dip their balls in your coffee.

If I can't taste it, it didn't happen.

Baloogan posted:

Eh, as an officer, I'll freely admit I didn't get selected because I had leadership qualities. I got selected because I do math good, and the Navy HOPES that with training and opportunity, I'll DEVELOP leadership qualities. It's actually the best part (probably the only good part) about being a sub JO; it's leadership sink-or-swim 24/7. You learn to be a good leader by being a really lovely leader for a long time, and since it's the Navy, they don't fire you, they just make your life extra lovely and tell you to try a different leadership tactic.

EDIT: dude, Baloogan, stop getting yourself banned. We can't answer your questions if you can't ask them bud.

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 5, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Third World Reggin posted:

Cooks tend to be pretty dumb. Or at least they have the dumbest guy on the boat, or are in competition with the torpedo room for it. Maybe the weapons officer wins the prize. It is a race.

I vote one for WEPS as most-tarded. Everyone else in your list realizes their limitations; the WEPS thinks he's smart because he's WEPS, and that makes him extra-tarded.

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

quality tends to go out the window when you're trying to feed a shitload of people in a small period of time multiple times a day

Not to mention space; when you go on deployment, they convert the refrigerator to a freezer. Anything that can't be frozen or kept under a rack is gone in 3 days. 177 more days to go.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you are a bad officer, someone will dip their balls on your shoulder.

We had an LTJG that people did this to. He would be sitting EOOW, possibly dozing, feel a tap and turn and there'd be a mushroomhead half an inch from his nose. In retrospect it was pretty clear cut sexual harassment but for whatever reason he never pursued it. Same guy also got some grey bilgewater splashed on his toiletries (apparently JOs keep them in a cubbyhole thing in their head, near the floor) and launched a wardroom witchhunt because he was convinced another JG had pissed on them.

We also had an engineer who was a bit diminutive. Someone got tired of him spilling coffee everywhere, so on a night where the eng went out drinking in Panama while the engine room was left behind steaming, someone swapped out his wardroom coffee mug with a sippy cup. Dude was furious and his angry drunken antics delayed reactor shutdown by a good 12 hours.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you are a bad officer, someone will dip their balls on your shoulder.

We had an LTJG that people did this to. He would be sitting EOOW, possibly dozing, feel a tap and turn and there'd be a mushroomhead half an inch from his nose. In retrospect it was pretty clear cut sexual harassment but for whatever reason he never pursued it. Same guy also got some grey bilgewater splashed on his toiletries (apparently JOs keep them in a cubbyhole thing in their head, near the floor) and launched a wardroom witchhunt because he was convinced another JG had pissed on them.

We also had an engineer who was a bit diminutive. Someone got tired of him spilling coffee everywhere, so on a night where the eng went out drinking in Panama while the engine room was left behind steaming, someone swapped out his wardroom coffee mug with a sippy cup. Dude was furious and his angry drunken antics delayed reactor shutdown by a good 12 hours.

That would be a great conversation:

CO: "What were you doing when you saw the penis in maneuvering, LTJG?"
LTJG: "Sleeping."
CO: "I'm sorry, say that again Ensign?"
ENS: "I was sleeping, sir."
CO: "Right. Get the gently caress off my ship."

I like the sippy cup though; I'll keep that one in the back pocket. Our Engineer was a little....flamboyant, so to gently caress with him we replaced all his ENG red pens with pink pens. And then distributed pink pens to everyone, so they could lend him the appropriate color when he asked. It was funny until ORSE.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Snowdens Secret posted:

We had a slushie machine, but when it broke it would be down for months. I seem to remember tales of a soft-serve ice cream machine but it got removed as part of some health kick before I got there.

My boat had a soft-serve, bagged milk CANADIAN MILK OMG dispenser, soda machine, and 2 bugjuice/tea dispensers. The milk lasted 2-3 weeks into a deployment after that it was the powdered milk poo poo.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ded posted:

My boat had a soft-serve, bagged milk CANADIAN MILK OMG dispenser, soda machine, and 2 bugjuice/tea dispensers. The milk lasted 2-3 weeks into a deployment after that it was the powdered milk poo poo.

When I lived in France everyone drank the Parmalat UHT stuff and thought putting milk in the fridge was weird. I never got why the Navy didn't just use this stuff all the time. I guess it'd still take up too much space.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Snowdens Secret posted:

When I lived in France everyone drank the Parmalat UHT stuff and thought putting milk in the fridge was weird. I never got why the Navy didn't just use this stuff all the time. I guess it'd still take up too much space.

i didn't know this UHT stuff existed :stare:

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Snowdens Secret posted:

They've moved away from powdered milk in my experience; we would put the UHT all over the engineroom for storage. Tastes OK if it's cold, but....yeah. Definitely not real moocowfuckmilk imho.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Snowdens Secret posted:

All we got in Iraq/Afghanistan was UHT milk so its kind of weird that you don't.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
it would've been a massive pain in the rear end to take on board is my guess

the deployment stores load is already a nightmare

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We always had UHT on the surface side. We'd usually have fresh for about a week and UHT until we RASed or pulled into a port.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It was probably a space thing, then. Easier to carry the powder and make your own water.

Plus kinda like moker kinda said, you have a bag of milk break and it's a godawful mess, trying to load an entire underway's worth would inevitably end poorly

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
UHT comes in boxes.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Mr. Nice! posted:

UHT comes in boxes.

Like Franzia, only less awesome.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Sacrilage posted:

Like Franzia, only less awesome.

The bags we loaded milk in were like Franzia bags. I don't remember if they came that way or if they came in boxes and we took the cardboard off pierside so we wouldn't have to detrash it later.

I'm not sure if that's what Meowlins is talking about or if he means the little quart boxes you get UHT in at the grocery store

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The bags we loaded milk in were like Franzia bags. I don't remember if they came that way or if they came in boxes and we took the cardboard off pierside so we wouldn't have to detrash it later.

I'm not sure if that's what Meowlins is talking about or if he means the little quart boxes you get UHT in at the grocery store

Boxes with a plastic bag inside. They were built to go in dispensers that basically milked a spout that came out of one corner of the box.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yep, that's what we had, pretty sure we deboxed them pierside. Now I'm wondering if even our normal milk was UHT

This is an odd derail

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Normal milk will come in the same box type things from what I remember. They just didn't last more than a week or so.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
when i was a poor rear end kid we used to drink powdered milk sometimes but i don't remember it being as awful as navy powdered milk was 0_o

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Powdered eggs from the store taste 100000x better than the powdered eggs while on station. :barf:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ded posted:

Powdered eggs from the store taste 100000x better than the powdered eggs while on station. :barf:

Store powder lacks that critical kick of saltpeter, of course

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Snowdens Secret posted:

Store powder lacks that critical kick of saltpeter, of course

But they told us they only added that in boot camp!

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
for some reason navy turkey is like my 2nd favorite turkey ever though.....was it even real turkey

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Turkey and ketchup.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I was the king of cranks and basically an honorary cook. We had some drat fine cooks besides. The best bread I've ever had was the lard type made at night by CS2 *name forgotten to alcohol*. Our guys knew how to make our poo poo sandwich of ingredients work to make decent meals. As a crank I still remember the recipe that needed bacon grease because they ended up cooking several rashers of bacon with the intention of shooting it overboard with the next garbage haul and I ended up eating nearly a pound of the poo poo just so it wouldn't disappear forever.

Best day of my life.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

When did they change MS into CS? Stupid navy changing rate names. poo poo, my grandfather was a Baker First Class in WWII.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I was the king of cranks and basically an honorary cook. We had some drat fine cooks besides. The best bread I've ever had was the lard type made at night by CS2 *name forgotten to alcohol*. Our guys knew how to make our poo poo sandwich of ingredients work to make decent meals. As a crank I still remember the recipe that needed bacon grease because they ended up cooking several rashers of bacon with the intention of shooting it overboard with the next garbage haul and I ended up eating nearly a pound of the poo poo just so it wouldn't disappear forever.

Best day of my life.

Granted, they were a special lot, but I'll admit that for all the poo poo I gave them, it was pretty impressive what they could make work. We had one cook, basically Private Pyle type, but he could make Creme Brulee out of lard, man juice, UHT and dreams, and drat my eyes if it didn't taste like jesus came down and said "Son, open your mouth and receive my gift." It was delicious.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Mad Dragon posted:

When did they change MS into CS? Stupid navy changing rate names. poo poo, my grandfather was a Baker First Class in WWII.

10 years? Pretty close; it was right before I joined.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

I actually just went through All Hands Down: The True Story of the Soviet Attack on the USS Scorpion. Author's theory of Soviets sinking Scorpion doesn't make much sense. There are a myriad of discrepancies in author's account on what happened.

IMHO, the most rational explanation is that the crew faced catastrophe they were unable to handle, depth control was lost and the boat imploded beyond crush depth.

I'd appreciate if insiders posting here can elaborate their own views on the subject.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

almighty posted:

I actually just went through All Hands Down: The True Story of the Soviet Attack on the USS Scorpion. Author's theory of Soviets sinking Scorpion doesn't make much sense. There are a myriad of discrepancies in author's account on what happened.

IMHO, the most rational explanation is that the crew faced catastrophe they were unable to handle, depth control was lost and the boat imploded beyond crush depth.

I'd appreciate if insiders posting here can elaborate their own views on the subject.

I'm convinced it was a hot-run in the forward torpedo room. The MK-45 had a known problem with it's batteries, and it's much more likely than a Soviet attack in the middle of the open Atlantic. Plus, if I remember correctly, when they were able to get video of the ship, most of the forward section was blown out, not in.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Sacrilage posted:

I'm convinced it was a hot-run in the forward torpedo room. The MK-45 had a known problem with it's batteries, and it's much more likely than a Soviet attack in the middle of the open Atlantic. Plus, if I remember correctly, when they were able to get video of the ship, most of the forward section was blown out, not in.

Indeed, forward section was just as you said in the visual footage that was released and can be freely found on the interwebs.
Hot running torpedo seems to me as the most plausible explanation.

However, I just don't get one thing.

AFAIK, the procedure crew applied in the case of a hot running torpedo was to

1) Flood the tube to prevent any flammable gas build up (such as hydrogen)
2) Execute a 180 degree starboard turn to activate the safety mechanism for the torpedo's warhead
3) Let the battery of the torpedo to discharge
4) Take the torpedo out and disarm it

Since this is drilled in the crew's head through training, I'm almost certain that crew of Scorpion would have applied the procedure correctly. With doing that, they'd have precluded the hot running fish causing an explosion.

As a nuke, do you think it's plausible that the procedure was not applied correctly or was not applied at all so that the hot running fish led to an explosion?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

almighty posted:

Since this is drilled in the crew's head through training, I'm almost certain that crew of Scorpion would have applied the procedure correctly. With doing that, they'd have precluded the hot running fish causing an explosion.

As a nuke, do you think it's plausible that the procedure was not applied correctly or was not applied at all so that the hot running fish led to an explosion?

Is that a procedure that can be relied on to work, or is it more of a "this gives you the smallest chance of exploding" last-ditch effort? I'm not familiar with subs, but in aviation a lot of our more extreme emergency procedures (like ditching) don't make any guarantees, it's just what the engineers have calculated to give you the best chances in an extremely lovely situation. So when I read about a case like the Scorpion, I imagine them trying that procedure but it just doesn't work in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

almighty posted:

I've never even looked up the conspiracy theory stuff. It was a sea story told to me by a 'special' rider. Likely BS since well it was a sea story and sounded cool. Especially when he said a Russian boat went down a few days later.

Looking at the pics on wikipedia the bow section does not look blown out at all.

almighty posted:

Indeed, forward section was just as you said in the visual footage that was released and can be freely found on the interwebs.
Hot running torpedo seems to me as the most plausible explanation.

However, I just don't get one thing.

AFAIK, the procedure crew applied in the case of a hot running torpedo was to

1) Flood the tube to prevent any flammable gas build up (such as hydrogen)
2) Execute a 180 degree starboard turn to activate the safety mechanism for the torpedo's warhead
3) Let the battery of the torpedo to discharge
4) Take the torpedo out and disarm it

Nukes have absolutely nothing to do with torpedoes. It does not take much time at all to flood a tube and the torpedoman on watch would have done it right the gently caress away as he was calling it out to control. The other 3 things would have been up to the OOD to call/execute.

All in all a hot run torpedo is one of the most scary things possible, only a fire or getting a torpedo shot at you are more serious events.

edit : since I was a sonar tech I was part of all the load ons/offs of all of the torpedos/mines/ect we did and had to know a bit about them.

• Locked thread