Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I played goalie when I was a kid, and it's fun as hell but you and your gear will smell absolutely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's nothing worse than trying out someone elses goalie pads, sticking your hands in the glove/blocker and discovering that they're both slimy from the game a week ago :barf:

xzzy posted:

But I bet your locker room is a heap of fun.

I mean, penalties are always good conversation starters right?

It sure is. Being on this team has added so many words to my vocabulary (don't google "locker bobbing" at work) and made me realize that I never want to be in prison.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 6, 2013

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

canuckanese posted:

Yeah I was about to say, even if the goalie is playing phenomenal, you're talking about a beginner who is going against guys who are clearly much better. There's no way they only score 3 goals while having possession in the offensive zone 80% of the game. That's 48 minutes assuming you play a full 60 minute game.
If the other team doesn't have many forwards who can shoot well, it's not that hard. Just because you're good at skating doesn't mean you can finish. We're talking low level hockey, you don't have to be a well rounded player to be one of the better players in the league.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Hockey has been great recently except for a couple of hickups with other people out there, but nothing to get bent out of shape over. There is a guy who skates at my 6:30am games Tuesday and Friday. He is about my size, a bit shorter (I'm 6'6" and change) but wayyyyyy bigger (fatter). He isn't that great of a player but plays very physically and it's annoying to no end. He slew footed me this morning and I was pissed until I realized who it was. Annoying but hard to tell someone to knock off what they are doing when they are twice my age and much worse at the game.

New skates come tomorrow. This will be the second pair of skates I've ever owned, some Bauer Vapor X80s. Getting them baked and we'll see what I can do with them by the end of the season to get them in a game.

Verman posted:

I have a game on wednesday night, and I leave for a hiking trip to colorado that next morning.

Where in Colorado?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

19 o'clock posted:

Hockey has been great recently except for a couple of hickups with other people out there, but nothing to get bent out of shape over. There is a guy who skates at my 6:30am games Tuesday and Friday. He is about my size, a bit shorter (I'm 6'6" and change) but wayyyyyy bigger (fatter). He isn't that great of a player but plays very physically and it's annoying to no end. He slew footed me this morning and I was pissed until I realized who it was. Annoying but hard to tell someone to knock off what they are doing when they are twice my age and much worse at the game.

New skates come tomorrow. This will be the second pair of skates I've ever owned, some Bauer Vapor X80s. Getting them baked and we'll see what I can do with them by the end of the season to get them in a game.

Where in Colorado?

RMNP, hoping for availability in the north east part of the park near Hagues Peak in the Mummy range.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Most every player-turned-goalie I've known has said they like playing goalie way more. I have never played net and do not know if this is true or if the people I've talked to are an unrepresentative sample of players-turned-goalie but there you go.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

I have yet to play with a goalie that wouldn't let you try their pads out to laugh at you for:

1. putting them on and having to deal with the smell
and
2. watching you struggle out there

3. Not knowing which pad goes on which leg.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

4. Getting the stick tangled in the net

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Lost last night after getting a penalty shot called against us with 5 seconds left. I never saw one called before where it is a 1v1 until the middle of the circles and the guy goes around the defender and gets hooked a little, still enough to make a clean move but not score.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Surprised to see a penalty shot called ever in a beer league game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yesterday we had some idiot at drop-in who thought it would be amusing to try to poke-check every player who came near the bench with the puck, including his own players. He pulled this poo poo all. drop-in. long.

:ughh:

e: Huh. I usually see one or two penalty shots in a 12-15 game season.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 7, 2013

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

joeburz posted:

Surprised to see a penalty shot called ever in a beer league game.

They happen, but it is pretty rare. I think I've only faced 3 or 4 in the couples years I've been playing in leagues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a penalty shot given in our instructional league back in the spring. I have managed to completely forget what happened to award it.. all I remember is the guy scored, and we still lost the game. :downs:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had one called for us on Sunday night. It was delay of game or something. I think someone covered up the puck with their glove in the crease. I had no idea what was going on or why we were getting one at the time. I was sitting around center ice, so everyone was just yelling at me to take it. I did a spin-o-rama cause why the hell not and the goalie tripped me when he went to poke-check the puck between my legs. I wasn't even mad, just got up and laughed with the goalie then asked the ref to call a penalty shot on a penalty shot.

But yeah, I typically see 2-3 during a 20ish game season.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
The ones I've seen are typically for the same stuff as HZ sees: non-goalies covering the puck in the crease. No one is really trying hard enough that often to backcheck on a breakaway.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
It's me: I'm the guy trying to backcheck on a breakaway but I can't ever catch anyone :(

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
The local pro inline team is running a 4-day skills clinic. It's all of the remaining Saturdays in August, from noon-3. $250 if you do early registration/payment, $75/session if you don't. I did :getin:

Can't wait to be told by people younger than me how bad I am at hockey, but more importantly how to improve!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

cenzo posted:

The local pro inline team

Lol that's still a thing?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Do you learn how to skate super fast without bending your knees?

edit: I have no money to purchase inline equipment (which would probably significantly improve my hands) and am thus relegated to chirping inline and inline players :smith:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 7, 2013

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

D C posted:

Lol that's still a thing?

There's like 3 different "pro" leagues, the PIHA (CJ Yoder's baby), the AIHL (people who hated PIHA), and the other one I can't remember. There's also tournament leagues like NARCh and TORHS which pull corporate sponsored teams (Mission Snipers, Tour Mudcats) and have prizes of up to $50k.

Generally, nothing is run out of giant arenas anymore or televised - just normal places with 1-2 rinks and some seating around it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Haha, jeez, the AIHL. I used to play inline with a bunch of guys on the Potomac Mavericks. They're kind of dicks who like to consider themselves professional athletes even though they work in a grocery store or at the mall most of the time. Pretty sure the Mavericks don't exist anymore either.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

The local pro inline team is running a 4-day skills clinic. It's all of the remaining Saturdays in August, from noon-3. $250 if you do early registration/payment, $75/session if you don't. I did :getin:

Can't wait to be told by people younger than me how bad I am at hockey, but more importantly how to improve!

Where are they doing this?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Had my 10pm inline game and we lost. I think the score was 20-3. The team we were playing against was in cutoff denim shorts and neon green tank tops and they could easily be playing a skill level further up and our team a skill level down. I got 1 goal in the game and an assist but I have to wake up at 3am to head to the airport so I'm starting to regret my decision to go to the game in the first place.

Meh

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Never regret playing hockey.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
My goalie is going to let me play in net during a preseason game... The goal is to keep it under 25 goals against :D

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

The ones I've seen are typically for the same stuff as HZ sees: non-goalies covering the puck in the crease. No one is really trying hard enough that often to backcheck on a breakaway.

This exact situation came up tonight. The refs claimed one of my defensemen covered the puck and they awarded the other team a penalty shot. I was annoyed by that, so on the penalty shot, I came out about 6 feet from the top of the crease and tackled the shooter. I made the save, so it worked.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

lazerwolf posted:

Where are they doing this?

The Hockey Dek in Springfield. It's exit 3 off 495. You want me to forward you a pre-registration invite?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

My goalie is going to let me play in net during a preseason game... The goal is to keep it under 25 goals against :D

I can't wait for warmups. Mark me as "in" on Hockeyvite.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

The Hockey Dek in Springfield. It's exit 3 off 495. You want me to forward you a pre-registration invite?

Sure thing send it to amemoryahope AT g mail dot com

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I lied, it wasn't an invite email it was a FB mass-post. I PM'd you the info and the link.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I toepicked really bad on a transition last night and landed so hard on an rear end cheek I got a wave of nausea. What the hell is up with that? :iiam:

Was fine a couple minutes later.. I think I might have tweaked a muscle in the crash because I felt some twinges so I eased up a bit in response, but feel fine this morning after some easy stretches.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm talking to a captain of another Silver team to get on a third team for this upcoming season.

This addiction, I cannot control it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm talking to a captain of another Silver team to get on a third team for this upcoming season.

This addiction, I cannot control it.

the best addiction

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The more I skate, I'm finding the biggest demotivator is the goddamn gear. It just never gets fun to load up my bag, haul it to the car, get dressed then reverse the process when I'm done skating.

And I've only been doing it for two years. :qq:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I might go to my brothers and fathers team practice this Sunday and play goal (because all my skater gear is from I were 10cm shorter and 30kg lighter, and the team owns goalie gear).

It's only been 15 years since I last played goal. My hips are gonna explode.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

The more I skate, I'm finding the biggest demotivator is the goddamn gear. It just never gets fun to load up my bag, haul it to the car, get dressed then reverse the process when I'm done skating.

And I've only been doing it for two years. :qq:

My gear has to go up and down 2 flights of stairs at home and (usually) 1 flight of stairs at the rink; there've been a few nights where that seems almost insurmountable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hey Topo, I'm sitting in the Vacaville rink right now. What a dump. It smells like a musty cave in here.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^^ I'll be there tomorrow but I'm playing on the higher level Pandora team. I'm on the Worst Rotation.

Aniki posted:

The director for one of my league's posted something similar:

This is a wise director.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I think I need a bone shaman.

Tonight I was skating to the back of three line after a drill and went to stop/turn, caught an edge and bounced the back of my head off the ice pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Flyinglemur posted:

I think I need a bone shaman.

Tonight I was skating to the back of three line after a drill and went to stop/turn, caught an edge and bounced the back of my head off the ice pretty good.

Pfft, its just your head. Walk it off.