Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Tequila Ranger posted:

My entire Tyranid army :(

E: The heart of my army was 2 Tyranid Assault Broods I picked up for "cheap" when the first Apocalypse came out; The last 'Nid codex made the 6xCarnifex and 12xTyranid Warriors these gave me into liabilities, and the 32xHormagaunts weren't that great either (though I like 'em). 6th edition neutered the formerly-excellent Genestealers hard.

The only things out of these huge box-o-bugs that I would still regularly use are the Termigants.

So, uhh, how long till the next Tyranid Codex drops, again?

Not soon enough, not soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

The Hunter's gonna be useless if it doesn't have Interceptor, which I doubt it will. It'll be like the Hydra. Even if it does have Interceptor, if it's too pricey for a few S7 shots it won't really be worth it either. Heavy Support is really crowded.

The average "Marines in Rhinos" list doesn't seem to be doing great on a competitive level lately, and I think it's a structural problem. My speculation is that the more "gimmicky" lists like bikers or perhaps a special character that makes a good unit into a Troops choice will have the greatest potential.

krushgroove posted:

What's the thinking on how codexes like CSM (which I have) and DA might be updated with equivalent units? Is there a history of just-released codexes getting updated in any way when newer allied codexes come out 6 or 8 months later? Or does that just not happen, the same way with CSM drop pods, land raiders and whirlwinds?

Haha, man, it ain't gonna happen. That's why old school DA players are constantly pessimistic; they come out before Codex Marines so anything C:SM gets, they feel like DA should have gotten. Which is reasonable, but unrealistic.

e: Oh, Chaos Space Marines? Even less of a chance. They're using old tech from the heresy era, and GW is also going to continue to diverge them from loyalist Marines even more in the future, ie, Dinobots.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 7, 2013

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It's not reasonable at all, DA shouldn't even have their own book.

On the rumours, Centurions sound like a terrible concept but plastic Sternguard should be awesome.

e: I've never really understood why CSM don't get Marine stuff that was around during the Heresy, like Whirlwinds etc.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Thanks! Yeah I definitely like the 'WHOA! Surprise!' effect as well! I've got ideas for secret missions for each side, exploding ruins and whatnot, abandoned vehicles that can be taken over, lava flows that happen if something triggers them, and similar things that would work best with a GM. I do like to write them out so that a GM isn't needed, though, like what I did for a big year-ending game my group did last year: https://hammertime40k.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/hammerfest-suggestions-for-crazy-random-rules/ this just let us all play on the same field together. But a GM'd game has a different flavor for sure, so I look forward to some crazy shenanigans tonight :)

Holy poo poo. That random-warp one would be awesome by itself in a Zone Mortalis game (or even a normal game), where the board represents a ship going through the warp or something. I'm definitely writing that one down for later.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lungboy posted:

e: I've never really understood why CSM don't get Marine stuff that was around during the Heresy, like Whirlwinds etc.

Tell me about it :smith:

ijyt posted:

Holy poo poo. That random-warp one would be awesome by itself in a Zone Mortalis game (or even a normal game), where the board represents a ship going through the warp or something. I'm definitely writing that one down for later.

Ha, glad you like that stuff :) one of the killer moments of that very long game was when my own Dark Eldar appeared, shot up all my Terminators that had just teleported in, killed my Warlord Typhus, then buggered off again. That really screwed me! At least he came back in later when we rolled a 1 on that chart!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

What's the thinking on how codexes like CSM (which I have) and DA might be updated with equivalent units? Is there a history of just-released codexes getting updated in any way when newer allied codexes come out 6 or 8 months later? Or does that just not happen, the same way with CSM drop pods, land raiders and whirlwinds?

With a few minor exceptions (storm raven) It doesn't happen.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ugh, one of my Fire Warriors disappeared from his base, does anyone have suggestions on how to replace him? I was considering getting a Fireblade but for that price I might as well get another box of Fire Warriors.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Finished some Tau gubbins:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
That limp wrist makes for a crisp paint job.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I just did a rough estimate of all my Nids:

Without an specific upgrades except for weapons this is my break down:

HQ: 2660 points (I put my Tervigons in the HQ slot)
Elites: 2255 points
Troops: 4860 points
Fast Attack: 870 points (I need more gargoyles)
Heavy Support: 3320

Total: 13,965 points

Man I thought I had a lot of bugs. Guess the upside of not playing during 4E means not wasting a fortune on Warriors and Fexes.

My total comes to around 7,000pts, plus the Hierophant and 2 Hierodules for another ~2000. Shockingly, nearly all of it is painted. Half of the 170 gaunts are just done in base colours, and the handful of stuff in the unfinished pile are mostly trash units that came from battleforces and ebay, like Warriors or a Pyrovore.

No free deathleaper here...

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I hope those rumours aren't all true. Why would C:SM get an updated tactical kit when the CSM one is so old and lovely?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Because they are the best selling unit in the best selling range?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure the marine kit is older anyway, given that it was created in 1998 and then the upgrade sprue was updated in 2004.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Think there'll be bolters, pistols and CCW on tactical marines this time round? I always found that a ludicrously silly disconnect between fluff and rules. It'd make tac squadsa a really solid choice as well.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I don't see what's wrong with the kit as it is, aside from the occasional bastard of a mold line and that weird missile launcher shoulder pad (seriously, what the hell is that?).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
They are rumoured to be getting an entirely new weapon option, so it makes sense to recut the sprues now and add it.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

xtothez posted:

Man I thought I had a lot of bugs. Guess the upside of not playing during 4E means not wasting a fortune on Warriors and Fexes.

My total comes to around 7,000pts, plus the Hierophant and 2 Hierodules for another ~2000. Shockingly, nearly all of it is painted. Half of the 170 gaunts are just done in base colours, and the handful of stuff in the unfinished pile are mostly trash units that came from battleforces and ebay, like Warriors or a Pyrovore.

No free deathleaper here...

When I get back to the US, I'm going to put a serious dent in the pile. I'm hoping to do 1,000 to 2,000 points a month. Hoping...

Edit:

Plugging the great paint guess again.

Guess about how many points are painted and win a free Death Leaper*!

*Death Leaper ships late October. After I get back to the US and can actually get to my models. Also, this isn't some lovely Finecast Death Leaper. Put this bad boy in a sock and you can beat someone to death with it.

Guesses:
Ghetto Wormhole - 0 points
Bavius - 1,000 points
Hencoe - 4,500 points
Cataphract - 2,247 points
Razor Jacksuit - 7,000 points
JerryLee - 2,000 points
AgentF - 1,500 points
Lord Twisted - 2,500 points
Mmj - will not be winning the Death Leaper.
Safety Factor - 3,000 points
Ijyt - 3001 points
TheBlobThing - 4,000 points
Direwolf - 5,500 points
BuffaloChicken - 800 points
Lungboy - 3,400 points
Slimnoid - 750 points

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 8, 2013

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

When I get back to the US, I'm going to put a serious dent in the pile. I'm hoping to do 1,000 to 2,000 points a month. Hoping...

Edit:

Plugging the great paint guess again.

I'll guess 5500 points.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ghost Hand posted:

Depends on your definition. From my perspective a lot of people had fun with it and I have seen some photo archives of AMAZING events planned around it.

So it didn't come out in the end the way GW wanted it and they "fixed" it and there were a bunch of cheaters? Well it only takes one rear end in a top hat to screw up the party - but the way I see it a lot of people got a lot of entertainment out of it.

The problem is that GW making GBS threads on the results basically undermines the entire point of the campaign. I mean, that was the entire draw, that GW would actually recognize stuff that happened. It's not like it suddenly enabled players to do giant fuckoff narrative games; my friends and I had been planning our own campaigns and doing big set piece battles for ages. It's not like we needed GW to hold our hands through it. What the campaigns offered was a promise that if you did that stuff, GW would actually tip their hat and give you a nod.

So when poo poo happens like, say, the Eldar players completely devastating the Chaos attack on the webway and the payoff was that we get one of our best and most popular special characters killed, it was a joke. Why did we bother?

Basically, everything positive that came from it was nothing to do with GW - it was all from the players, and stuff we had done by ourselves for years. Every aspect that actually relied on GW - like tabulating results and determining outcomes - was screwed up in a way that detracted from the whole thing.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

lenoon posted:

Think there'll be bolters, pistols and CCW on tactical marines this time round? I always found that a ludicrously silly disconnect between fluff and rules. It'd make tac squadsa a really solid choice as well.

Oh I hope so, the wails of the SW players on Dakka/Warseer will be hilarious.

Also, it'll, you know, make tactical a much more interesting in a way that makes sense.

But mostly the pissing off SW players thing :v

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Going to hazard a guess that if there's a new Space Marine sprue it'll cut the number of models in a box down to 5. They'll be intricately detailed to the level of Dark Vengeance and the box will include a separate sprue of cool iconography/ weapons, similar to the Tau box, so they can jack the price up. The expensive models will be reflected in the codex, where the fiction will emphasise how super-human power-armoured 8 foot dudes really are.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 7, 2013

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Cruddace is rumoured to be the author.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Supreme Court posted:

Going to hazard a guess that if there's a new Space Marine sprue it'll cut the number of models in a box down to 5. They'll be intricately detailed to the level of Dark Vengeance and the box will include a separate sprue of cool iconography/ weapons, similar to the Tau box, so they can jack the price up. The expensive models will be reflected in the codex, where the fiction will emphasise how super-human power-armoured 8 foot dudes really are.

And also let DA players get pissed off again to boot.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lungboy posted:

70% of the reason is because that's what they decided back in 2nd edition, where it was "Chaos don't have access to newer advancements such as infantry-size plasma cannons, speeders, or whirlwinds." Then they changed the fluff so that all that stuff was available and the tech was even better back in the heresy and none of it made any sense. Then new marine stuff comes out and, with the exception of the vindicator, it stays with space marines. Part of the problem of course is that there can be no advancement in the 40k universe; everything is ancient and around from the heresy, which makes no sense but hey

The other 30% is so that Chaos marines won't just be space marines plus demons, i.e. they will actually be completely different armies.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's even sillier when they devote a sizeable amount of the codex fluff and mini galleries to warbands that have split from the Imperium well after the Heresy era. poo poo, the Red Corsairs are one of the more famous ones, even having their own named character, and they didn't turn traitor until literally the most recent 100 years of the setting. But I guess they followed in Abaddon's footsteps by deciding not to throw any assault cannons or storm shields in the suitcase. :thumbsup:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

I love that that's actually his name.

It makes him completely immune to Internet mockery.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

70% of the reason is because that's what they decided back in 2nd edition, where it was "Chaos don't have access to newer advancements such as infantry-size plasma cannons, speeders, or whirlwinds." Then they changed the fluff so that all that stuff was available and the tech was even better back in the heresy and none of it made any sense. Then new marine stuff comes out and, with the exception of the vindicator, it stays with space marines. Part of the problem of course is that there can be no advancement in the 40k universe; everything is ancient and around from the heresy, which makes no sense but hey

The other 30% is so that Chaos marines won't just be space marines plus demons, i.e. they will actually be completely different armies.

Technology does not advance, persay, but STC's are rediscovered from time to time. The Land Raider was named after the explorer something-something Land, who found the template which allowed it to be produced again. Little experimental things occur from time to time as well, whether it's jury rigging a new weapon system for an old tank or creating a new fangled dealybob.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cataphract posted:

I love that that's actually his name.

It makes him completely immune to Internet mockery.

Counterpoint:

Never has a name so accurately described their writing style.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

Technology does not advance, persay, but STC's are rediscovered from time to time. The Land Raider was named after the explorer something-something Land, who found the template which allowed it to be produced again. Little experimental things occur from time to time as well, whether it's jury rigging a new weapon system for an old tank or creating a new fangled dealybob.

Why yes, that is exactly how they wrote it after 2nd edition.

Technology used to advance, i.e. the Reaper Autocannon was a precursor to the Assault Cannon (they developed the autocannon, then the reaper, then the assault cannon), and then suddenly that was no longer the case when they started explaining all new technology with the wording you just used, and now it doesn't make any sense.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 7, 2013

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
I'm curious as to what everyone's experience is with travelling with an army. I'm headed to Gencon next week, and carrying-on is unfortunately not an option due to the size of my bag. I have a Battlefoam 720, which should keep everything nice and safe, but I'm worried about lost baggage or clumsy TSA handlers if I check it. I'm thinking alternatively about having it shipped to my hotel.

Anyone have experience with this? How safe is checking your mini's?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Fitret posted:

I'm curious as to what everyone's experience is with travelling with an army. I'm headed to Gencon next week, and carrying-on is unfortunately not an option due to the size of my bag. I have a Battlefoam 720, which should keep everything nice and safe, but I'm worried about lost baggage or clumsy TSA handlers if I check it. I'm thinking alternatively about having it shipped to my hotel.

You can buy a top load duffel bag that seals with metal clips from an army surplus or online, and put a bunch of towels and other luggage in it with your box and put a 2 dollar padlock through the clips to stop anyone but you from opening it.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 7, 2013

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fitret posted:

I wouldn't check the battlefoam bag on its own it will get tossed around and crushed to high heaven.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Cataphract posted:

I wouldn't check the battlefoam bag on its own it will get tossed around and crushed to high heaven.

Yea, unless you can put it in a hard case, I would carry it. I always carry my minis when I fly.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 7, 2013

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ted Theodore Logan posted:

A question for all of you. Is there anything you have bought that you really wanted to have so that you could actually use on the table but never do because you just cannot fit it into your army or because it ended up just not being that good? I know I have. Mine are eldar harlequins and the stormtalon. Both I bought, put together the day I got them and have yet to use them in one game and I have had both for over a year. The harlequins are mostly because they cost so many points for the low point games I usually play and the stormtalon I do not use as the people in my FLGS hate fliers. People have them but they just do not use them/bring them to the store as they do not know how to travel with them.
I felt that way about my Skyray and Piranhas until recently, but now both of them are pretty rockin' awesome, so I'm very happy.

Also, the Stormtalon is actually a really good little airplane. For 115pts you can bring the Skyhammer Missiles, which make it a holy terror against light infantry and vehicles, and its 360 degree turret means it can shoot enemy airplanes in the butt. Interceptor guns will screw you up, but c'est la vie.

Sykic posted:

I don't see what's wrong with the kit as it is, aside from the occasional bastard of a mold line and that weird missile launcher shoulder pad (seriously, what the hell is that?).
I'm not sure there's anything specifically "wrong" with it so much as it's rather bland compared to what they can do with the new plastics and it's kinda the flagship kit of the entire game, so it behooves them to make it look good. As it stands, you don't get a lot of customization bits in it (especially compared with something like the Grey Hunters or Death Company kits) and all of the Marines are stuck in pretty similar "squad and shoot" poses.

Lungboy posted:

That man can go to hell. I can live with lovely fluff, but both 'Nids and SoB got horrifically one-dimensional codices. Would that he never writes a 40K book again.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Guess about how many points are painted and win a free Death Leaper*!
800 POINTS

I've posted this before, but this talk about models never getting used and tons of points of models and writing the best possible lists makes me want to bring it up again.

My brother and I have about 4,000 points for each of our armies. This means much more than we could use in any of our standard lists (we usually play 1500pts) and a bunch of sub-par units that look cool. What we've done is write six 'themed lists' for each army. When we want to play a game, we can pick a themed list or both roll off on our list tables and play a random matchup. We try to have every one of our models in at least one list, so no models are ignored forever. Here's an example for my Catachan.

Catachan Themed Army Table
1 - Horde: Big platoon, three Veteran squads, heavy and special weapon teams, a big Rough Rider blob. Every single infantry model I own, no non-transport vehicles.
2 - Armor: Five tanks, Sentinels, Valkyrie, Techpriest, Straken, minimal troops. As many vehicles as possible.
3 - Sneak: Every single unit has deep strike, infiltrate, outflank, stealth, or a combination. Last edition could start with just a Command Squad on the table.
4 - Cult: Has 1000pts of IG specializing in 'terrorist' flamers and explosives, and 500pts allied Death Cult Assassins playing as Genestealers.
5 - Fast: Deepstriking, Valkyrie, Rough Riders, mounted troops. Very mobile for an IG army.
6 - Shooty: Manticore, two Leman Russ, as many special/heavy weapons as possible.

Then if we want to be more competitive, we have a 'standard' list written to win. But having the themed lists is fun and takes a little bit of the edge off winning or losing since you're not playing an optimized list. Plus it's fun to have wacky matchups (my Tyranid Horde versus his Ork Armored) and use models you really like but otherwise can't justify playing.

For photo content here's relatively recent photos of all my armies. The Eldar have grown most since these were taken.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I guess 3400 pts on the Death Leaper extravaganza.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

AbusePuppy posted:

That man can go to hell. I can live with lovely fluff, but both 'Nids and SoB got horrifically one-dimensional codices. Would that he never writes a 40K book again.

Pierre and I have concluded that the SoB book is "Amazing, but dull."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I guess 750 points. Nothing that large is even approaching 2k fully painted.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So going to help a guy with his first 40k game today, but I play Tau/Eldar and am trying to find a list that wont just stomp him in his first game. I want to try out the Wraithknight today, but I usually run a Riptide, so I guess a WK and Riptide at 1500 is a bit dickish? Thinking of just doing a lot of infantry and trying out some characters like Darkstrider and an Etheral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!

MrBims posted:

You can buy a top load duffel bag that seals with metal clips from an army surplus or online, and put a bunch of towels and other luggage in it with your box and put a 2 dollar padlock through the clips to stop anyone but you from opening it.

This is an interesting suggestion... but then invalidate parts of the point of purchasing the bag.

Cataphract posted:

You think that the BF case isn't hard enough to survive checking?

• Locked thread