Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I have been searching for my next vehicle and I have been really liking the Audi Avant. I would be looking at getting one from 2003-2007 and most likely an A4. Though the S4 sounds like so much fun, it is quite rare here (Colorado) and with worse gas mileage I think I will settle for an A4. How is the reliability of the A4 Avant from the mid 2000's, as any car I look at will have 80,000+ miles. Also is there any major issues or problems I should look out for when searching for cars? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Oh right, this belongs here too. Got tint on my wagon Tuesday. I've been meaning to do it for 4 years, the timing finally worked out. 35% on the fronts, 20% from the B pillar back.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Nice....

Been thinking about upgrading to this: http://www.klinevolvo.com/used/Volvo/2005-Volvo-V70-90d35ae20a0a00de00be6d8184ce8b8f.htm

But they want $14k which is crazy...even retail is only $11k and more realistically $8-9k.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

My new project/beater:

(drat taking a pic in direct sunlight was not kind to the paint)

Nissan Skyline GXE wagon. Made in Australia, bit of an odd duck.

Also just snagged these parts for a manual conversion.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ammo mammal posted:

My new project/beater:

(drat taking a pic in direct sunlight was not kind to the paint)

Nissan Skyline GXE wagon. Made in Australia, bit of an odd duck.

Also just snagged these parts for a manual conversion.

That looks like a newer version of my dad's Skyline wagon

4spd with a LPG conversion. Painfully slow when trying to make it up the hills in NZ. I ran it on regular gas most of the time i was driving it since it gave it a bit more power over LPG.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

LloydDobler posted:

Oh right, this belongs here too. Got tint on my wagon Tuesday. I've been meaning to do it for 4 years, the timing finally worked out. 35% on the fronts, 20% from the B pillar back.

Those wheels look familiar, but I can't remember where from. Are they the factory fit or did you change them out?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

This looks brilliant.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Those wheels look familiar, but I can't remember where from. Are they the factory fit or did you change them out?

Pretty sure he had them on the Amazon for a while

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Unknownmass posted:

I have been searching for my next vehicle and I have been really liking the Audi Avant. I would be looking at getting one from 2003-2007 and most likely an A4. Though the S4 sounds like so much fun, it is quite rare here (Colorado) and with worse gas mileage I think I will settle for an A4. How is the reliability of the A4 Avant from the mid 2000's, as any car I look at will have 80,000+ miles. Also is there any major issues or problems I should look out for when searching for cars? Thanks

Your search is over. You're welcome.
http://www.autofind.com/dealer/details/157165/WAUSF78E07A173373

I had a 2005.5 A4 Avant (posted earlier in this thread), and I loved it. If the car I linked to was for sale before I bought my S4, I'd jump on it. A 6-speed, A4 Avant in red with the Titanium package is incredibly rare. If I didn't have a kid on the way, I'd be making bad decisions and jumping on the next plane to Connecticut to pick it up.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Negromancer posted:

That looks like a newer version of my dad's Skyline wagon

4spd with a LPG conversion. Painfully slow when trying to make it up the hills in NZ. I ran it on regular gas most of the time i was driving it since it gave it a bit more power over LPG.

I way prefer that 80s style. Mine makes decent power though (for it's age), same engine as the VL commodore. Should be a pretty fun skidmobile with the manual in.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

They're factory fit, but not on this car - they were only offered as an option on the C70. Fairly rare genuine BBS but made for Volvo. I bought these off ebay and first had them on my 960 back in 2008. These are 18" and I have the matching set in 17" on my 122.

I guess I'm kind of a dork, I run V70R wheels on my C70 and I run C70 wheels on my V70 and 122.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

LloydDobler posted:

I guess I'm kind of a dork

Looks like it, yes :cheeky:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Has anybody here owned a late-model V70R? I've heard they have their own special "M-tax" on them, but gat dayum if they aren't the hotness.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Bucephalus posted:

Hey man, peg pants and headbands were the poo poo in 1990. At least, to the arty girls we were trying to bonk. Evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onjaC3A2xjk&t=40s

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
See the dude straddling the headlight, with the long hair, shredded jeans, and untied hi-tops? Give him an Anthrax tee instead of whatever it is he's wearing and that was me in 1990.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Irrefutable proof that all wagon owners were either a Thompson Twin, or that one guy from Tears for Fears.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core
Welcome home my friend.

I picked this up a couple days ago in Crochester, NY for $2,500. It's not EXACTLY what I wanted (no tow package, A/C isn't working) but with 60,000 miles I think I can make it work.

It has a red cloth interior and a fair amount of scuffs and dings on the outside. 2.56 gears and 4 lovely shocks. My intent is to get taller gears and severely stiffen the suspension. This thing lists from side to side like a sailboat on Lake Ontario.

It was owned by an older woman in the hood of Rochester, and then her daughter who sold it to me. She was crying when she handed me the keys. I get it.

This is my fourth wagon, replacing my current '03 XC70. Prior to that I had an 88 Caprice (AKA: the baby blue hate tank) and before that a 1987 AMC eagle wagon. The eagle is still my favorite car of all time, and when I'm ready for a full time project car I'll get another one.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Has anybody here owned a late-model V70R? I've heard they have their own special "M-tax" on them, but gat dayum if they aren't the hotness.

My father had a 2005 for a while, is that late enough? I only drove it a few times though.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

DropShadow posted:

Your search is over. You're welcome.
http://www.autofind.com/dealer/details/157165/WAUSF78E07A173373

I had a 2005.5 A4 Avant (posted earlier in this thread), and I loved it. If the car I linked to was for sale before I bought my S4, I'd jump on it. A 6-speed, A4 Avant in red with the Titanium package is incredibly rare. If I didn't have a kid on the way, I'd be making bad decisions and jumping on the next plane to Connecticut to pick it up.

Piling on. I love my '08 dolphin gray titanium. My CPO is just about to run out so it's time to visit APR.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

StandardVC10 posted:

My father had a 2005 for a while, is that late enough? I only drove it a few times though.

Is it the 300hp twin turbo version? I honestly don't know!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

SPORK08 posted:

2.56 gears and 4 lovely shocks. My intent is to get taller gears and severely stiffen the suspension.

I'm pretty sure you mean shorter, as in numerically higher. 2.56 is as tall as I've ever heard of. I don't know if it's possible to go taller than that! That thing must idle at 70 mph.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Is it the 300hp twin turbo version? I honestly don't know!

Single turbo, but yes. He put ~114,000 miles on it, as I recall. Tons of space, plenty of power, fairly classy interior, and you'd never mistake it for an SUV behind the wheel because you sit quite low. But the transmission juddered a bit for the entire life of the car (this was the automatic,) the turning radius was crazy wide, the low front spoiler caught on everything, and it drank gasoline like a fish. Plus when it got up in mileage it started getting expensive to fix, but in fairness we had driven it pretty hard by then.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

I looked into it when I found a used one locally for $9000. Apparently the engines are reliable, but suspension components are obscenely expensive to repair and replace. $2000 for a set of 4 shocks expensive.

e: still for sale:
http://whitedogimports.com/vehicle/2004-Volvo-V70/93686/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SPORK08 posted:

Welcome home my friend.

I love Roadmasters. I was looking at parts costs for one on Rock Auto and it's pretty hilarious how cheap everything is.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Bucephalus posted:

FULL STOP.

Amazon with no top? I need a back story, NOW. I still miss my '68 122s.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The first post on my swedespeed 122 build thread has a little bit of backstory. Feel free to PM me for more if you want more detail. And that thread is a family friendly mirror of my build thread here, I recommend the SA build thread as it's rated R for language. It's still active, currently on page 3.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

StandardVC10 posted:

Single turbo, but yes. He put ~114,000 miles on it, as I recall. Tons of space, plenty of power, fairly classy interior, and you'd never mistake it for an SUV behind the wheel because you sit quite low. But the transmission juddered a bit for the entire life of the car (this was the automatic,) the turning radius was crazy wide, the low front spoiler caught on everything, and it drank gasoline like a fish. Plus when it got up in mileage it started getting expensive to fix, but in fairness we had driven it pretty hard by then.

I have a 2004 with the 6 speed manual. Just rolled past 126k miles this morning. So far the major components are doing great, OEM shocks, engine strong and transmission/clutch fine. Eventually it'll need a new clutch, but that's a wear item. I get around 21MPG combined.

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003
I'm sure some of you remember my E34 M5 Touring clone,

well I decided to buy it a baby brother.

1988 BMW 325i Touring, Purchased in Northern Germany, drove it all over Europe for 2 weeks, and tossed it on a boat to the United States.

On the Nurburgring

And in my driveway in Washington State, along with my 2 other E30's

I am a god drat hoarder

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Just recently did the flathood conversion on my 245. Love this wagon and will not get another car because of it.

Still need to fix the air suspension and the drivers seat belt.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Looking good, I've been kicking around different front end swaps myself, and it so happens I decided the quad square lights would be the way to go for my 245. Are you planning on doing anything with your old light assemblies, and if not would you be willing to sell them? I can receive PMs if you'd like to discuss it.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Thanks alot! :)

Unfortunately, I'm planning on hanging onto these lights for the time being. I'm trying to track down a small flathood grill for a reasonable price and if I find one I'll put the quad squares in.

If you're in the area, you can check us out at turbobricks as well as CL and pick n pulls. I generally grab my parts from the Lynwood Pick N Pull and I generally see at least one or two 240s there rocking the quad squares.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Solar Coaster posted:

Unfortunately, I'm planning on hanging onto these lights for the time being. I'm trying to track down a small flathood grill for a reasonable price and if I find one I'll put the quad squares in.

If you're in the area, you can check us out at turbobricks as well as CL and pick n pulls. I generally grab my parts from the Lynwood Pick N Pull and I generally see at least one or two 240s there rocking the quad squares.

Out of sheer curiosity, what kind of mileage do those old bricks get? high teens hiway?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Solar Coaster posted:

No worries, was just hoping to avoid the search :). I'm actually on the other side of the country from you but luckily my area is literally the east coast equivalent of Seattle so there is a frankly ridiculous amount of old Volvos around, shouldn't be too hard for me to find some quads. I'm just lazy.

E: angryhamster, I get about 24mpg on the interstate in my friends manual transmission 244, probably higher actually.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 2, 2013

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Confused_Donkey posted:

I'm sure some of you remember my E34 M5 Touring clone,

well I decided to buy it a baby brother.

1988 BMW 325i Touring, Purchased in Northern Germany, drove it all over Europe for 2 weeks, and tossed it on a boat to the United States.

On the Nurburgring

And in my driveway in Washington State, along with my 2 other E30's

I am a god drat hoarder

Just wanted to chime in to let you know you have really really good taste in cars. And sorry in advance because I would probably stalk you if I saw either of those tourings on the road. How does the handling on the 3 series touring compare to its coupe/sedan brethren? The e30/34 are among my favorite cars of all time and I have a thing for wagons.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 2, 2013

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Out of sheer curiosity, what kind of mileage do those old bricks get? high teens hiway?

Mine is an 82 so I'm rolling with the LH 1.0 harness and earliest form of Kjet. I'm getting about 18mpg on the highway on a good day. I have an LH 2.2 that I plan on putting in and updating the system so I can be more fuel efficient. In the city I'm getting about 12 - 14mpg.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Terrible Robot posted:

Looking good, I've been kicking around different front end swaps myself, and it so happens I decided the quad square lights would be the way to go for my 245. Are you planning on doing anything with your old light assemblies, and if not would you be willing to sell them? I can receive PMs if you'd like to discuss it.

I have a couple of sets. PM me for more info.

Loving that M5T makes me sad I'm selling my 525iT.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
This is my favorite thread, so I'll hop in with you guys.

2009 Jetta Sportwagen SEL 6speed with leather and a Pano roof. No TDI here, its got the 2.0 TSI :smuggo: from every VAG product under the sun. From what I read they are pretty rare, glad I stumbled upon mine at a used lot.

I put a different front grille on, a Eurojet downpipe, a crappy BSH air intake, Cheap rear end raceland coilovers, and a resonator delete. Sounds pretty good and scoots pretty quick too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X4bzwOKu0o I love when people bitch and moan about it being a wagon, and then I can fold the seats down and fit a full size foosball table in the back they shut up pretty quick.

Eventually plan to get a stage 2 Unitronic tune, maybe a big turbo kit when Im not broke, and possibly an air bag set up.
Heres my buddys CC.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The creation of the E30 3 Series touring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF0CUaS0czk
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=28225

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Very nice, I don't think I've ever seen a 2.0T 6-speed JSW. I would definitely get a tune as soon as you can. You'll love what it does to the 2.0T. Some GTI headlamps would round out that front end quite nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've never seen an E30 touring with the back open before, looks like the lights would get in the way, anyone here with one care to share their experiences?

• Locked thread