Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

For photo content here's relatively recent photos of all my armies. The Eldar have grown most since these were taken.

:allears: Man I love those full army shots.

I'm looking forward to/dreading my Crimson Fists with the new codex next month. I'm still shaky with the Chaos Marine codex, have only played one with Dark Angels, and I feel like I'm only really comfortable with Imperial Guard at this point. I kinda wish they weren't releasing armies I collect so close together, but I'll take it over waiting til 2016 for a new codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Finished some Tau gubbins:

I like the crisp way that your camo looks on these guys. What scheme do your fire warriors and suits have?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MrBims posted:

You can buy a top load duffel bag that seals with metal clips from an army surplus or online, and put a bunch of towels and other luggage in it with your box and put a 2 dollar padlock through the clips to stop anyone but you from opening it.

Personal experience, the TSA will hack off - by destroying the lock or the bag, whichever is easiest - any padlock you put on a checked bag, unless it's one of those expensive ones listed as TSA approved because they have the master keys to open them. That way there's only a 50% chance they'll hack them off.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Alright going to run this against a guy who hasn't played in forever. Nothing too hard to deal with.

Commander - Double Fusion, Target Lock, Drone Controller, 2x Gun Drones, Puretide, NSJ, Iridium

Darkstrider

12 Firewarriors

12 Firewarriors

4 Crisis Suits - 8x Plasma, 8x Gun Drones

Hammerhead - Sub rounds, SMS, BSF, D Pods

Skyray - SMS, D Pods

--

Farseer - Runes of Witness

5 Rangers

Wraithknight - 2x HWC

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TSA-approved locks are not expensive, you can get them for $5. But more importantly, yea, anything you check is subject to TSA inspection, which means some dude opening up whatever case you use and pawing through your miniatures. I have found them to actually be pretty decent in terms of mangling stuff, but given that it will probably be someone with no idea what they are looking at, even someone taking relative care may break your poo poo (in that they might open your case and go 'Huh, a toy man?' and handle it anticipating action-figure weight and durability rather than carefully glued metal or resin).

It's kind of a devil's choice because while FedEx/UPS will probably not open your shipment, their handling is as bad (and often worse) than a baggage handler. I mean you could slap some warning labels like 'Caution: Live Scorpions' on it and hope that helps.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Fed Ex. Where this is considered acceptable until you get filmed doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwvoW4oZMh0

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013
There's also these things:
http://www.shockwatch.com/monitoring-devices/impact-sensor/impact-indicators/

However, I don't know if parcel employees would just purposely shake up your package to set them off. They're also fairly pricy - you get like 50 per box that costs $150.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

spacegoat posted:

I hope those rumours aren't all true. Why would C:SM get an updated tactical kit when the CSM one is so old and lovely?

The CSM kit isn't that old, nor is it that lovely. The models still look good, and it's packed with bits and options.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I agree. They (CSM) just stick out in comparison to a lot of the new (chaos) infantry models, I think.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fitret posted:

I'm curious as to what everyone's experience is with travelling with an army. I'm headed to Gencon next week, and carrying-on is unfortunately not an option due to the size of my bag. I have a Battlefoam 720, which should keep everything nice and safe, but I'm worried about lost baggage or clumsy TSA handlers if I check it. I'm thinking alternatively about having it shipped to my hotel.

Anyone have experience with this? How safe is checking your mini's?

Get a KR Backpack 2 and it fits in the overhead just fine and has room to carry other poo poo for you :P Just sayin...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

spacegoat posted:

I hope those rumours aren't all true. Why would C:SM get an updated tactical kit when the CSM one is so old and lovely?

If you cared about cool chaos models you've already accepted defeat and started buying forgeworld legions instead.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dirty_Moses posted:

I agree. They (CSM) just stick out in comparison to a lot of the new (chaos) infantry models, I think.
Yeah, they got updated with the previous Chaos codex and there's plenty of detail and options in the kit, they just don't fit in with the new Chaos aesthetic very well. The look of the game has definitely shifted since then to being decided more baroque. I'm kind of worried about the new tactical Marine kit though - if they end up looking as blinged out and overburdened with detail as everything else has been lately, the silhouette of the most iconic unit in the game will get thrown out the door.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

SRM posted:

I'm kind of worried about the new tactical Marine kit though - if they end up looking as blinged out and overburdened with detail as everything else has been lately, the silhouette of the most iconic unit in the game will get thrown out the door.

This is my worry as well, there's a decent chance we're going to see tactical marines covered in purity seals, pouches, chains, and various doodads, and it's almost guaranteed for the stern/vanguard. I'm still optimistic though!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PeterWeller posted:

The CSM kit isn't that old, nor is it that lovely. The models still look good, and it's packed with bits and options.

The problem I have isn't that old set is bad, it's pretty decent overall. It's that they look like complete poo poo alongside the new stuff. Chosen from Dark Vengeance, the new plastic Aspiring Champion and the Raptor/Warp Talon kit just blow them out of the water. The distinction is pretty jarring on the table when you're actually fielding them side by side.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

SRM posted:

Yeah, they got updated with the previous Chaos codex and there's plenty of detail and options in the kit, they just don't fit in with the new Chaos aesthetic very well. The look of the game has definitely shifted since then to being decided more baroque. I'm kind of worried about the new tactical Marine kit though - if they end up looking as blinged out and overburdened with detail as everything else has been lately, the silhouette of the most iconic unit in the game will get thrown out the door.

Best example I can think of would be the way the DLC Ultramarines look in Dawn of War 2.

It's just too much.

Ojetor posted:

The problem I have isn't that old set is bad, it's pretty decent overall. It's that they look like complete poo poo alongside the new stuff. Chosen from Dark Vengeance, the new plastic Aspiring Champion and the Raptor/Warp Talon kit just blow them out of the water. The distinction is pretty jarring on the table when you're actually fielding them side by side.

True enough. I'm lucky enough to not use any of those units, because the aesthetic juxtaposition would drive me up the wall.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Alright, consolidating more rumors for you guys. A poster over on Warseer by the name of "Endobai" seems to have the WD in hand, but don't shoot me if this info turns out to be fake or wrong:

Black Templars are back in the Codex SM, but seem to keep everything - Crusader squad is there, Neophytes too, Emperor's Champion as well. Don't know about the vows, though.

IH are considerably MORE resilent so it might be FnP (Sons of Medusa in IA 10 have it) or something similar to the re-roll of 1s when saving in the Apocalypse.

IF are described to enjoy greater firepower. It looks like assault Centurions are almost designed for them.

All 1st Founding chapters will have something. Black Templars too obviously, but how they will go we will see in a month.

The codex is MASSIVE- 176 pages, so almost twice as big as other books in this edition. Slightly more expensive, but seems like a good deal. Still FW books are cheaper (per page), but this book might be like the most flexible SM codex ever considering it covers the BT within its core rules (traits? Most likely).

Space Marine Codex - $58
by Robin Cruddace
Cover pic is a close up Ultra Marine pointing forward into battle

Space Marine Stalker/Hunter - $65

Space Marine Reclusiam Command Squad - $90
Includes Razorback 5 man command squad and a space marine chaplin

Space Marine Captain - $30

Space Marine Librarian - $30

Space Marine Strikeforce - $220

Space Marine Centurion Devastator/ Assault Squad - $78

Space Marine Tactical Squad - $40

Space Marine Sternguard - $50

Space Marine Vanguard - $40

(prices not from Endobai but confirmed by him)

There are definitely more archaic armour pieces in the Tactical set.

I've noticed Mk VI legs as before and Mk V Heresy chest plates. Maybe even for Mk VI Corvus, but the angle doesn't allow to confirm that.
Looks like there is a Mk IV Maximus helmet and Mk IV legs (!).

Sternguards

Sternguard pack is written to include 8 combi-weapons - that includes combi-graviton, so possibly two of each - combi-melta, combi-flamer, combi-graviton and combi-plasma.
There is also one heavy bolter and one heavy flamer and each has a backpack for the weapon.
Finally there are seargeant weapon options and several optional heads, shoulder pads etc.

One Mk IV bionic helmet (and the rest of the armour seems like Maximus too).
Corvus armour legs and helmet for sure. The chest is as always a problem.
The pissed off Marine with beard head is really great.

Vanguards

Vanguards have multiple close combat options (apparently 4 pairs of lightning claws, same with TH and SS)
Mk IV, Mk VI helmets and legs. The mohawk head looks great.

All three plastic boxes have numerous pieces useful for several units so buying all three might be sensible. Even if to "update" older tactical, assault and devastator units. Poses are more varied. Think about options with the scouts for LS Storm. There are new aiming hands, one hand reloading a boltgun and in general there are more options. Similar, but with more options so should look well with older marine models if you think about mixing parts it should be great.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ojetor posted:

See, I think "complete poo poo" is a huge overstatement, and while the new models have a lot more baroque detail, I don't think the distinction is that jarring on the table when they share the same paint scheme. Granted, I don't use raptors, and I kinda expect my chosen to be more blinged out than my regular marines.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Why yes, that is exactly how they wrote it after 2nd edition.

Technology used to advance, i.e. the Reaper Autocannon was a precursor to the Assault Cannon (they developed the autocannon, then the reaper, then the assault cannon), and then suddenly that was no longer the case when they started explaining all new technology with the wording you just used, and now it doesn't make any sense.

Barring that Clickity Clack hates Landspeeders for no reason, the general technology scheme makes sense. Technology devolved from a science into a mystic art. Although technological advancement is considered heresy, it's a massive civilization so once in a while someone creates a new weapon or vehicle without getting brained.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Interesting that Space Marines don't get a huge robot/monster like other armies. Would've expected their own version of the Dreadknight or something.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Are those prices in US dollars or some strange moon money? That's £20 for the plastic characters (are these terminator characters? do they have a large number of options? Or are they the same as the £12 character sprues?), £50 for the Centurions (they'd better be drat impressive at that price) and £30 for the Vanguard Vets (I hope that means 10 to a box, because £30 for 5 power armoured marines is too much).

I was tempted to see what the Centurions looked like and maybe get them, but £50?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

Interesting that Space Marines don't get a huge robot/monster like other armies. Would've expected their own version of the Dreadknight or something.

I think that Centurion box is going to be a unit that acts like a MC. I'm expecting T5+, S5+, 2+ save, multiple wounds per model, etc.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've been wanting to post my buddy's Dark Eldar for a while, and he finally took pics.

Farseer on Jetbike - "Psyke harder, slave!"

Reavers and allied Eldar jetbikes:

"Webway Spiders"

Some uglies:

Some beasties:

The whole sheboodle:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thundercracker posted:

Landraiders kind of fit that bill. Granted, they're not Wraithknight massive, but they aren't tiny either.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Those are some really cool-looking Dark Eldar! That Farseer jetbike is amazing :) I've been wanting to paint up my 6 or so (or do I have 8?) Raiders using the Ghost Tint methods that Les Burley has been using a lot of lately, I miss playing with them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pacheeco posted:

I think that Centurion box is going to be a unit that acts like a MC. I'm expecting T5+, S5+, 2+ save, multiple wounds per model, etc.
They're gonna be like little loyalist killa kans :3:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Fix posted:

"Webway Spiders"

:drat:

These are really cool

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Thundercloud posted:

£30 for the Vanguard Vets (I hope that means 10 to a box, because £30 for 5 power armoured marines is too much).

I was going to say this too. $50 for a box of ten detailed power armor guys with lots of options is reasonable, by GW standards anyway, but if they're still doing 5 plastic power armors to a box (that isn't the standard troops unit) then that's not gonna fly. Even if it includes all the special weapons ever. Well, maybe there's some level of special weapons where it'd be worth $50 but they probably aren't going to reach it.

Also the raise of the tactical squad to $40 is acceptable if it's a recut with lots of better bits, if it's the same one then that's gonna be bullshit too (again, going by GW standards on all of this).

Of course the entire leak could be bullshit

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Zatheria posted:

I like the crisp way that your camo looks on these guys. What scheme do your fire warriors and suits have?

This was a commission so I didnt do any troops.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Two Feet From Bread posted:

When I get back to the US, I'm going to put a serious dent in the pile. I'm hoping to do 1,000 to 2,000 points a month. Hoping...

Edit:

Plugging the great paint guess again.

I bid 5 quatloos on the newcomer! I'll also guess a meager 1250

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Why the gently caress would they put Templars back in the space marine book instead of giving them at least one of the supplements? This makes no god damned sense to me.

Ok, back to fluff questions.
Obviously the primarchs are out of play, as are the demon princes that half of them turned into. What are the odds that they would do something like a possible future warhammer 50k? The emperor is fully dead, one or more primarchs are back and have split the empire, maybe the star child bullshit is happening? Maybe humanity is in rebellion under Tau dominion? It seems like they could do some interesting poo poo there.

Also, is the forgeworld Alpharius/Omegon going to be two models?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Smegmalicious posted:

Why the gently caress would they put Templars back in the space marine book instead of giving them at least one of the supplements? This makes no god damned sense to me.

They still could--haven't all the supplements so far been for "factions" that you could nominally play with just the core book?

quote:

Also, is the forgeworld Alpharius/Omegon going to be two models?

The forgeworld Alpharius should just be a squad of Alpha Legion marines. :v:

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

JerryLee posted:

The forgeworld Alpharius should just be a squad of Alpha Legion marines. :v:

That would be baller as poo poo.

Though, having read Legion, they make a big deal about how they all look alike, but aren't Primarchs like 10 feet tall as opposed to the normal 8 foot marines?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Orthopedic shoes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I think this release is going to finally push me over the edge to having two Imperial marine armies. I've been thinking about it for a while and I definitely want to do either Imperial Fists or Crimson Fists. I'm leaning more towards the Imperial Fists because I have Night Lords as my CSM army and I'm not sure I need two dark blue marine armies. That said, Crimson Fists are awesome as all hell and painting bright yellow is kind of intimidating.

It just looks like my Dark Angels are going to be how they were last codex - a sub-par space marine army with a few cool options while lacking a lot. I just don't feel like running green marines again. :smith:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Safety Factor posted:

Well, I think this release is going to finally push me over the edge to having two Imperial marine armies. I've been thinking about it for a while and I definitely want to do either Imperial Fists or Crimson Fists. I'm leaning more towards the Imperial Fists because I have Night Lords as my CSM army and I'm not sure I need two dark blue marine armies. That said, Crimson Fists are awesome as all hell and painting bright yellow is kind of intimidating.

Yellow supremacy.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Fix you are the worst person.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Smegmalicious posted:

That would be baller as poo poo.

Though, having read Legion, they make a big deal about how they all look alike, but aren't Primarchs like 10 feet tall as opposed to the normal 8 foot marines?

Yes and no, while most primarchs are like 10-12ft tall, A&O are not, in deliverance lost it basically says one of the genetic codes had completly skipped some of the growth boosters that are in the rest, hence why they are only the size of a large marine vs mortals only reaching their waist, as it shows in the art piece with Robute and Sanguinus

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Fyrbrand posted:

Fix you are the worst person.

This is true. Also, those are incredible. I have wanted to do Fists since I got an airbrush to make the yellow not as painful to paint.

Safety Factor posted:

It just looks like my Dark Angels are going to be how they were last codex - a sub-par space marine army with a few cool options while lacking a lot. I just don't feel like running green marines again. :smith:

Yeah, especially if you are able to run White Scars bike lists and IH / IF terminator lists in the C:SM book; in that case, everything that is unique about the Dark Angels will be playable in the normal book as well. The Deathwing knights are OK for one round of combat, and then they fall off into mediocrity again; the Ravenwing knights are just too expensive per model to play an entire Ravenwing army.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Hencoe posted:

Yes and no, while most primarchs are like 10-12ft tall, A&O are not, in deliverance lost it basically says one of the genetic codes had completly skipped some of the growth boosters that are in the rest, hence why they are only the size of a large marine vs mortals only reaching their waist, as it shows in the art piece with Robute and Sanguinus

do you have a link to the art you're referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

5 more boyz down!

• Locked thread