Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I'm reading the Durulz game book and, guys, the ducks are more awesome than you can even imagine. Also, there's more bird people: storks, flamingos, herons, even freaking platypuses (though they are a confused people).

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic
Huh, that was odd. Got a Vingan warrior (not Kallyr) elected queen of our tribe. Very next thing: Outrage because how dare she be the queen. Eventually the other tribes revolted against us.

I can't tell why. We never made a single decision, and we have maximum reputation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The end game will start when it is good and ready, mister Sharmat, and not a moment sooner. :colbert:

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 7, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

nutranurse posted:

So I'm reading the Durulz game book and, guys, the ducks are more awesome than you can even imagine. Also, there's more bird people: storks, flamingos, herons, even freaking platypuses (though they are a confused people).

:swoon:

There's a standing request for lore about Keets in Haifisch's LP. By which i mean "tell me about Keets they sound rad."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

They are ~*very rad*~. I'll go find the LP and vomit out an info dump.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Welp, the endgame triggered, and one of the warring tribes just snorted when I proposed building a town. I guess that's that. You pretty much have to savescum for the endgame, don't you?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

nutranurse posted:

They are ~*very rad*~. I'll go find the LP and vomit out an info dump.

Here's the LP. They're in the middle of a Heroquest and an infodump might get lost until that's done since it's all :justpost: right now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tulip posted:

Here's the LP. They're in the middle of a Heroquest and an infodump might get lost until that's done since it's all :justpost: right now.

How the gently caress did I miss that? :psyduck:
Welp, there goes my evening.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Welp, the endgame triggered, and one of the warring tribes just snorted when I proposed building a town. I guess that's that. You pretty much have to savescum for the endgame, don't you?

No. They'll do it next time maybe. I've had to offer it four or five times before they accept sometimes.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I also missed that. Strange, since it isn't in the master list either.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Iced Cocoa posted:

I also missed that. Strange, since it isn't in the master list either.

It's ongoing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tulip posted:

Give it an hour until I'm off to work. Then it'll be the perfect time for loreposting! :v:

(Tell us about Keets. And any other bird-people. Bird-people rule.)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

nucleicmaxid posted:

No. They'll do it next time maybe. I've had to offer it four or five times before they accept sometimes.

I once held the kingship for nigh on 30 years with the same guy, and got turned down on town building maybe a dozen times. Eventually quit the game in disgust. Everything else was peachy, and I never did work out what the problem was.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Wait, holy poo poo, what?! There's another LP! Why was I not made aware of this?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Sanford posted:

I once held the kingship for nigh on 30 years with the same guy, and got turned down on town building maybe a dozen times. Eventually quit the game in disgust. Everything else was peachy, and I never did work out what the problem was.

It's a leadership check on the king's part I think. Plus maybe another stat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

veekie posted:

It's a leadership check on the king's part I think. Plus maybe another stat.

Diplomacy is Leadership + Custom, so if you presume it's a Diplomacy check a run through the Lhankor Mhy heroquest couldn't hurt.

Realistically it is probably pure leadership though.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

For Combat: What's the difference between sacrificing to Orlanth and Humakt? I figure it got something to do with success chance vs kills, but not certain if I've noticed anything different.

Likewise, what do the tactics actually do? I usually just charge, but I've read that skirmishing can avoid combat if both sides pick it?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Pimpmust posted:

For Combat: What's the difference between sacrificing to Orlanth and Humakt? I figure it got something to do with success chance vs kills, but not certain if I've noticed anything different.

Likewise, what do the tactics actually do? I usually just charge, but I've read that skirmishing can avoid combat if both sides pick it?

Orlanth boosts the charge tactic, Humakt boosts overall killing ability(and thus, combat success).

Since most clans would sacrifice at least once, I dare say if you were charging, not to sacrifice at all, since that'd let you interrupt their sacrifice.

For the tactics:
Charge has a chance of interrupting their sacrifice if they're sacrificed more than you did and getting a large edge in the initial clash, while denying them the sacrifice bonus.

Maneuver is strong against charges(unless their sacrifice was interrupted), weak against skirmish, and depends most heavily on your warleader's Combat and maybe Leadership. Use this when you're in a strong position. It's conservative, since it dishes out a lot of hurt while keeping your guys alive

Skirmish means you rain ranged attacks on them from your position without moving to clash. It gets big bonuses from having lots of hunters. It's somewhat weak against charges, but if the other side chooses Skirmish, it means both sides will pick a nice spot and throw stuff at each other before going home, or if they Evade, there's no fight at all. Strong defensively when you're in a bad position.

Evade means well...running away. It's strong against charges(they run forward, you run backward, they get exhausted and then you attack). Like skirmish if they also evade or skirmish there will be no fight at all. Best if you already know you're going to lose the fight, like when your Cattle Raiders get caught. Just run for it, it keeps the most men alive.

veekie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 7, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Can you keep trying with some of the other checkpoints like the Telmori wolfmen? This is the farthest I've ever gotten and I want to see the end.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

veekie posted:

Orlanth boosts the charge tactic, Humakt boosts overall killing ability(and thus, combat success).

Since most clans would sacrifice at least once, I dare say if you were charging, not to sacrifice at all, since that'd let you interrupt their sacrifice.

Not quite. Combat is two phase, initial and melee, and Orlanth boosts initial while Humakt boosts melee. Sacrifice to both and then charge or maneuver if you think your opponent is going to skirmish/evade.

The boost for interrupting a sacrifice doesn't seem to be quite as big as the boost for sacrificing, so my preference is to sacrifice once, then charge/maneuver, since clans actually sacrifice twice pretty frequently (plus if they don't interrupt your sacrifice you're in great shape). Trolls, by contrast, will almost always charge without sacrificing so you may as well just bust heads.

I recommend skirmishing/evading against horse spawn because gently caress them. And anecdotally having ramparts/walls seems to make evade way better.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Welp, just posted my first entry on the Keets. It roughly plots out their origins during the Mythical Times. Midway through writing everything I realized that there is a whole bunch to tell, so I'll be splitting it into a few parts.

I also have, like, pretty much every Glorantha book ever (Stafford Library aside) so I might do entries on various parts of Glorantha that are often neglected, but are nonetheless pretty cool.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I downloaded the game from GOG and keep getting the start screen which freezes and errors out with "mTropolis 32-bit windows player has stopped responding" I tried running it in compatibility mode and closing out all non-essential background processes but nothing is changing. I really want to get killed by ducks and gently caress up reality with bad heroquests. Any advice? I got windows 7 64 bit.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Do Elmali fight on horseback? I had assumed that Orlanthi society didn't use stirrups so rode to battle and dismounted to actually fight. What's with facing "horsemen" while fighting other clans?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You don't need stirrups to fight on horseback. You need stirrups to use mounted lance charges ala medieval European knights, but there were people fighting from horseback long before then. Stirrups never really gained any real use in Europe until ~600 AD, but the Romans used cavalry for their entire existence (and indeed one entire class of citizens was initially based on those who could afford to outfit themselves as a cavalryman).

Stirrups allow you to use the weight and momentum of the horse to enhance your attacks, but there are still advantages in fighting from the back of a fast, agile, and powerful creature. If nothing else, it means you can freely attack your enemies' heads and shoulders while they have to attack your legs.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Project1 posted:

Do Elmali fight on horseback? I had assumed that Orlanthi society didn't use stirrups so rode to battle and dismounted to actually fight. What's with facing "horsemen" while fighting other clans?

Elmali absolutely fight from horseback, yes, as do Redaldan warrior-women (Redalda being Elmal's wife), and the followers of Orlanth's Ulanin the Rider subcult. As well as any Humakti mercenaries who may have picked up the habit from fighting foreign wars, any worshipers of Yelmalio in Dragon Pass (but not in Prax), and a handful of other exceptions. Most other Orlanthi of Dragon Pass do dismount before fighting, though, you're correct. This isn't true of all Orlanthi, though - you'll find much more actual cavalry in the Holy Country, for instance.

Zurai is completely correct as to not needing stirrups to fight on horseback, but also keep in mind that most all of these people would have riding-magic that would supplement their lack of having stirrups as well.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
From David's blog update:
http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.cz/2013/08/future-updates.html

"Then we plan to add new content. This is a much more major undertaking, as it involves commissioning new artwork, writing new scenes, and testing. This will take longer, in part depending on how many scenes actually work out. I’m hoping it comes out in Autumn, but can’t promise anything."

;) \o/

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So, as an aside, I've always been interested in the Grazer culture. Like, do we know anything about their rites and culture compared to the Orlanthi? It seems like there's a lot more on Prax and Tarsh as opposed to the Grazers.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So, as an aside, I've always been interested in the Grazer culture. Like, do we know anything about their rites and culture compared to the Orlanthi? It seems like there's a lot more on Prax and Tarsh as opposed to the Grazers.

I can tell you a little about them, at least.

The Grazers are an anachronism of an anachronism. They call themselves the Pure Horse People, and are originally (very originally) from Pent, a massive steppe that makes up the very far north of the northern continent. Several centuries ago, they rode forth and claimed lands in Prax, which is to the east of Dragon Pass. Eventually they were driven out by the natives of that land, the animal nomads, who ride rhinos, high llamas, bison, and so forth. They settled where they are now, in western Dragon Pass.

While they're nomads, they're very regimented ones. Everyone has their place, based on age, birth, sex, and so on. They elect chiefs just like for the Orlanthi, but the elected chief must have the right bloodline and date of birth. It's somewhat patriarchal, though not as bad as the Dara Happans, and women are allowed real power via spiritual means. Men rule over most mundane matters, though. Still, everyone, even the Luminous Stallion King, must defer to the Feathered Horse Queen, no matter what the subject matter is. Even matters of war and mundane matters like that fall under her domain. Despite their reputation as nomads, they actually have a lot of settlements for their elderly and crippled to live, whom they treat well and allow to serve the tribe by caring for horses, and overseeing their vendref farmers (see below).

While Pentans have two main faiths, one devoted to the Four Winds (Orlanth, Humakt, Urox, and Gagarth), which would be familiar to the Orlanthi, the Grazers only hold to their pantheon of Solar spirits. They worship Yu-Kargzant, the Sun Horse, as their primary man's deity, and his wife, La-Ungariant, as their primary woman's deity. Men and women go through cycles of worship through age, first revering the child versions of Yu-Kargzant and La-Ungariant, then the adolescent versions, then the adult versions, then the parent versions, then the elderly versions, etc, etc. Their slaves, mostly people of Orlanthi stock who are called the vendref, are permitted to worship Barntar and Ernalda, but absolutely barred from any Orlanth worship. The Feathered Horse Queen has a unit of vendref loyal only to her, made up entirely of worshipers of Hiia Swordsman, a subcult of Humakt.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'm starting to think that enemy clans in my current game have unlocked the secret of mass producing Raven Banners.

That's the only explanation I can think of for my force of 105 weaponthanes and 250 warriors losing to a squad of 13 weaponthanes and 100 footmen, despite boosted with all war-related blessings and War magic investments and winning the 'heroic combat' mini-event.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is it possible the game just stops counting weapon thanes over a certain number?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
More likely some event on their side overrode the manpower issue entirely. Heroquests or the banner are known to be able to win against nigh impossible odds.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
AI clans can actually do heroquests or possess the Raven Banner? I mean I know the Raven Banner works that way. I used it to beat a raid from the entire Colymar Tribe when I refused to pay tribute. I just didn't think the AI could do the same thing.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Maybe not the same way, but I'm reasonably sure that they have some means of emulating the benefits at least.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Orlanthi clans aren't exactly skilled at massed warfare. There's definitely a point of diminishing returns where more weaponthanes stop making a difference.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I didn't get the idea they were even tactically articulated. There are horseman and infantry but don't they just attack in a mob rather than having distinct units? Not a lot of formations or anything.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah I didn't get the idea they were even tactically articulated. There are horseman and infantry but don't they just attack in a mob rather than having distinct units? Not a lot of formations or anything.

The weaponthanes organize the other warriors....and then generally go at the enemy as a mob, while whichever cult's initiates all do their own thing. Individually powerful is more important to the fight than numbers in their way of fighting, the shock effect of an Orlanthi flying over and taking out your leadership, or whatever personal swaths of destruction they each cut breaking morale.

Really, as I understand it, the key part of the fight is when one side goes "gently caress this, I'm going home". Which may or may not relate to injury levels.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

It's a little bit like the Sengoku era divide between samurai and ashigaru. Orlanthi get the idea of moving in formation, letting the archers attack first, not getting separated or going after some dude with abandon (generally). It's just that all of that is subordinate to the concept of the ritual and the concept of how war 'should' be. The samurai/weaponthanes are out there just as much to make names for themselves as anything else, and the ashigaru/carls certainly are ready to kill and die for the honor and aims of the clan, but deep down they'd probably rather be getting those new fences up on the farm and banging their wives.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

veekie posted:

Really, as I understand it, the key part of the fight is when one side goes "gently caress this, I'm going home". Which may or may not relate to injury levels.
This is pretty much the case with most pre-modern battles so it makes sense.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
So maybe if you send too many weaponthanes relative to theirs your guys in the back can't even get to the fight and decide to bugger off, leaving the guys in front in kind of a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's kinda funny that the Weaponthanes will huff and puff about not getting any Carl support if you try to send them off on a raid on their own, even if they number 60+ and are pumped full of magic juice.

Guys, I'm pretty sure you can deal with the Woodpeckers, they got like, 60 *Carls* tops after the last 10 raids.

• Locked thread