Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006
I don't know anything about the old territories, but WWE released a "Legends of Mid-South" trailer that seems to feature an insane list of talent. Did any territory even come close to them, or did somebody just do a really good job of editing together a bunch of guys who were there for a cup of coffee (like the Blade Runners).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So how much of the lousy shoots were down to Inoki, and how much of it can be blamed on the Japanese audience? When I was only watching MMA, I thought that the Japanese crowds had an unhealthy fixation with dangerous uncompetitive matches, either because they just liked freakshow fights, or because they liked to see Japanese guys try to beat the odds with "fighting spirit" more than they liked to see them win.

Also, can someone tell me when this happened? I almost cried.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Was there ever a thread or anything about Misawa's death here? I have Archives but can't seem to find anything.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is/are the problems with All Japan now?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Was there ever a thread or anything about Misawa's death here? I have Archives but can't seem to find anything.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3153521

Finding specific old threads can be tough without search but for stuff that happened around a particular date I've found it's usually best to go to the archives for 1 or 2 months after it happened.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Awesome, thanks Thauros.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Snacksmaniac posted:

No kidding. Even Triple H jobbed to Eddy's friend.

Even HBK jobbed... wow.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

I don't know anything about the old territories, but WWE released a "Legends of Mid-South" trailer that seems to feature an insane list of talent. Did any territory even come close to them, or did somebody just do a really good job of editing together a bunch of guys who were there for a cup of coffee (like the Blade Runners).

I don't know a lot about Mid-South in particular, but you have to remember that wrestling was a lot different back then. There were a lot more people working full time wrestling and making a living so there were more big stars. These stars traveled from territory to territory quite a bit so their act wouldn't get stale. For example, Dusty Rhodes wrestled in Mid-South, but he also wrestled in Florida, JCP in Georgia and I'm sure other places. So Dusty might have a feud with Kevin Sullivan in Florida, and when that program was over, he'd probably go to Mid-South and feud with someone there, and then he'd probably go to Georgia and have a big program with Ric Flair. People generally weren't locked into exclusive contracts the way the are in the modern era, and there was a lot of movement between territories.

I guess the modern day equivalent would be to look at a guy like Kevin Steen. It's pretty fair to say Steen is part of both the PWG and ROH rosters, right? If PWG released a "Legends of PWG" DVD, it'd probably include Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Kevin Steen, The Briscoe Bros, etc. even though all those guys were wrestling in ROH when they were part of the PWG roster.

So yeah, to answer your question, all those guys wrestled in Mid-South, but they also wrestled everywhere else. They would have been on multiple rosters at the same time.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 7, 2013

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

ColeM posted:

Even HBK jobbed... wow.

Was this the only time HBK ever fought Rey?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They were also on opposing sides of a Survivor Series match

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
I remember NOAH was building up Nakajima in 09 or 10 then kinda just stopped pushing him.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Was hbk a heel? I can't even imagine this match

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Manwithastick posted:

Was hbk a heel? I can't even imagine this match

No, it was just a really solid face vs. face exhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edGLJHNd0CU

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 7, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Was there a backstage reason that Bret Hart never officially joined the NWO?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, Bret didn't want to do it.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

He probably knew he'd be the fourth wheel and it was better for him to stay away from it. Plus it wasn't anything special to be in the nWo by 98 as about half the roster was in it eventually.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was thinking about the nWo and how it never had a good payoff as a story. I think since it was built up like a gang, a great way to end it would have been like a classic gang story we've seen in other mediums. Like Hogan and them are untouchable. But eventually, due to Hogan's mistreatment of his guys, the nWo breaks up from within, allowing the babyface his chance to take Hogan's title as his empire crashes around him. Then you have new fueds from the remains of the nWo.

Question: If you could change a way an angle went back in the day, how would you like to have seen it go?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spikeguy posted:

I was thinking about the nWo and how it never had a good payoff as a story. I think since it was built up like a gang, a great way to end it would have been like a classic gang story we've seen in other mediums. Like Hogan and them are untouchable. But eventually, due to Hogan's mistreatment of his guys, the nWo breaks up from within, allowing the babyface his chance to take Hogan's title as his empire crashes around him. Then you have new fueds from the remains of the nWo.

Isn't that basically what happened with nWo Hollywood & nWo Wolfpac? Minus the good storytelling part allowing a babyface to take Hogan's title.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Wow how quickly we forget the black and silver I guess 4 life means nothing to you.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

The Croc posted:

He probably knew he'd be the fourth wheel and it was better for him to stay away from it. Plus it wasn't anything special to be in the nWo by 98 as about half the roster was in it eventually.

Not like it made a difference anyways. He bounced around from heel to face so many drat times that his pushes suffered for it and then by the time he was made champion no one cared. Either way Bret was dead in the water when he signed with WCW.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Spikeguy posted:

Question: If you could change a way an angle went back in the day, how would you like to have seen it go?

Sting beats Hogan, clean, at Starcade.

If you want to get fancy with it (and I don't), the NWO comes down to get a bullshit finish and gets jumped by WCW, who's finally united against them.

Hogan can't retake the title since his schemes don't work, NWO disbands.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They wrestled on Smackdown semi recently.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been listening to a bunch of Jim Cornette rants, and I like the guy. What did he do to screw up ROH?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been listening to a bunch of Jim Cornette rants, and I like the guy. What did he do to screw up ROH?

Basically he is stuck in the "old days" of booking, and decided he didn't like some of ROH's top stars so he wasn't going to book them to their fullest.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Golden Bee posted:

Sting beats Hogan, clean, at Starcade.

I'm not sure I'd call that finish a clean finish.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Within the first 3 results for "Mysterio HBK" on youtube ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-7d_aH07JM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxE__OQNWg

89 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 7, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Basically he is stuck in the "old days" of booking, and decided he didn't like some of ROH's top stars so he wasn't going to book them to their fullest.
I gather that he doesn't like comedy wrestling at all. But it seems like he doesn't understand that there's a categorical difference between what Generico and Cabana do, what DDT and Chikara do, and those [expletive][expletive][expletive] WWE [expletive] comedy writers.

OTOH it seems like he thinks wrestling works best when it's built on the skeleton of an actual athletic league, and I agree with that. I like MMA, and I like the outright fantasy of Chikara, but WWE occupies this weird in-between place where wrestlers want to win belts, but it's not really clear why that matters. I guess it works for some people, but not for me; I just watch the good matches and ignore every part of the story that doesn't involve Daniel Bryan.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 7, 2013

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

tzirean posted:

No, it was just a really solid face vs. face exhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edGLJHNd0CU

Coachman was such a bad commentator, holy poo poo. I forgot just how awful he was. he adds nothing and everything he says sounds like a line he's being fed.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Halloween Jack posted:

I gather that he doesn't like comedy wrestling at all. But it seems like he doesn't understand that there's a categorical difference between what Generico and Cabana do, what DDT and Chikara do, and those [expletive][expletive][expletive] WWE [expletive] comedy writers.

Yeah he didn't like Generico & Cabana cause they were funny, he didn't like Steen cause he wasn't in good shape. He LOVED Mike Mondo though, ugh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hirams Bitch posted:

Wow how quickly we forget the black and silver I guess 4 life means nothing to you.

If you're nWo B-Team, you're nWo B-Team 4 life, brother.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

If you're nWo B-Team, you're nWo B-Team 4 life, brother.

No he means the nWo 2000 featuring Bret Hart, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Scott Steiner, Jeff Jarrett, and the Harris Brothers

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wonder what the WWE would be like if Kennedy did not get injured to give up his MitB and fate did not intervene and he ended up being Vince's son and in a huge main event storyline.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Gatts posted:

I wonder what the WWE would be like if Kennedy did not get injured to give up his MitB and fate did not intervene and he ended up being Vince's son and in a huge main event storyline.

I think Kennedy, at least at the time, was disliked by enough people in the back that he'd have found a way to screw it up. I could have seen him ending up as a guy who got a pretty big push but in the end was relatively meaningless in the overall history of WWE like Bobby Lashley or Carlito.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That raises an interesting point. Who do you think were the guys who were pushed the hardest, only to be a flash in the pan? For my money, I go with Ultimate Warrior.

Forget the fact that no one seems to like him, but he's just not mentioned much. And with WWE controling much of its own history, I dare say the younger people of today's audience might not know who he is. This is a guy who beat Hogan in the main event of Wrestlemania during Hogan's hayday and held the World and IC titles at the same time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Sid Vicious comes to mind.

I would put Steve Williams' WWF career on the list, because it was at the center of the Brawl-for-All, a disaster for the company.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't think you can really say Sid because multiple companies pushed him multiple times.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Koslov. He beat Undertaker clean. Never forget.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He also KO'd HHH with that Battering Ram headbutt thing. Blitzkrieg would be good example here though. He had a really good match with Juvi for the #1 contendership, had a solid match with Rey where commentary put him over, but after WCW he wnet into IT work, passed on the gear to Jack Evans who promptly almost broke his neck the first time working as Blitzkrieg II.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 7, 2013

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Halloween Jack posted:

On the other hand he'll talk about how funny Plowboy Frazier was, even though he was a terrible wrestler.

I don't understand Cornette's objections with the ROH guys, because Cabana, Steen, and Generico are all character-driven workers who are good in the ring and legitimately entertaining, which are the things that made old school wrestling great according to Cornette and other bitter veterans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

I don't understand Cornette's objections with the ROH guys, because Cabana, Steen, and Generico are all character-driven workers who are good in the ring and legitimately entertaining, which are the things that made old school wrestling great according to Cornette and other bitter veterans.

I think it's just that Cornette got crabbier and more bitter as he got older, and anything that didn't exactly suit his tastes was just poo poo and a waste of time as far as he was concerned. I remember Mark Jindrak talking about how Cornette told him he was getting new theme music (I think Jindrak might have been down in OVW or something like that), and when he played it, it was basically some AC/DC knockoff. Jindrak was less than enthusiastic about it (he said that he's not really into rock music, and prefers rap/hip-hop), which pissed Cornette off, and prompted a rant that began with the question "What do you want, that rap poo poo?"