Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My girlfriend's grandparents have lovely teeth and jaw muscles and poo poo. Their caretaker has been blending all of their food, but they've burned through like 4 Magic Bullets in as many months. I suggested they should look into a food mill or at least Something Else. Do y'all have any suggestions for how to make all of their food mushy? Ideally something relatively easy to use, but which is actually made for destroying cooked vegetables and soft meat and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kenning posted:

My girlfriend's grandparents have lovely teeth and jaw muscles and poo poo. Their caretaker has been blending all of their food, but they've burned through like 4 Magic Bullets in as many months. I suggested they should look into a food mill or at least Something Else. Do y'all have any suggestions for how to make all of their food mushy? Ideally something relatively easy to use, but which is actually made for destroying cooked vegetables and soft meat and stuff.
A blender for use in a professional kitchen... such as, say, a Vita-prep 3 (it's 3 horsepower!).

Pricey but it will last, and if there were a better/cheaper way to quickly and reliably pulverize large amounts of food restaurants would be using that instead. Alas.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Vitamix 5200 at the listed "2+" horsepower is more than enough I'm sure.

:beepboophivemindresponse:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Vitamix also have really good warranties!

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
I work in a group home where some of the residents have the same kind of puréed diet and we go through an insane amount of food processors and blenders due to burnt motors and other failures. I keep telling them to buy something like a vitamix or blendtec because they've easily spent enough to buy 3-4 of the good ones in the 3 years I've been there alone

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Just bought the wife a Blend-Tec for her birthday, and jesus is it awesome. The things I owned before were not blender, just...some kind of spinny blade wannabe.
The thing just destroys anything we put in it. Its loud as hell, but drat does it work. I've used this thing more in 3 weeks that I ever used all of my previous blenders, and they all died. This thing is just a rock (so far). 8 year warranty on it, purchased through CostCo for about $100 less than the equivalent VitaMix. I'm heavily debating buying my mother one for xmas/her birthday (4 days apart), since her 35 year old blender is finally starting to die on her.

So, yes. BlendTec or Vitamix. The things are used in commercial settings for a reason.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

schlitzzzz posted:

Any recommendations on induction burners? I am mainly interested in using it to sear steaks outside since I am sick of my condo filling up with smoke. Is using a 12" cast iron pan on an induction burner smaller than 12" a bad idea?

I've been using this one for searing meat outside the past few months and it's been working great. One thing to keep in mind with these induction units is that the heat is all generated in the 4-5 inch circle in the center so if you're using a large 12 inch pan the outside edges will certainly be a little cooler than the middle. I get around this by only searing one steak at a time or rotating as I flip so that it gets an even sear.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Krailor posted:

I've been using this one for searing meat outside the past few months and it's been working great. One thing to keep in mind with these induction units is that the heat is all generated in the 4-5 inch circle in the center so if you're using a large 12 inch pan the outside edges will certainly be a little cooler than the middle. I get around this by only searing one steak at a time or rotating as I flip so that it gets an even sear.

That's the same one I use, it's pretty nice. It would be absolutely perfect if it could keep my kuhn rikon at 15 PSI but it can only do ~11PSI on power level 1 (eyeballing it where it lands between the 9 and 13 bars) or overpressure on power level 2 :mad:.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I need a kitchen scale. This one is for sale at costco:

http://www.amazon.com/Kamenstein-Stainless-Steel-Digital-Kitchen/product-reviews/B00AQMGFG0

Is there a better one I should be buying?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Korwen posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Kamenstein-Stainless-Steel-Digital-Kitchen/product-reviews/B00AQMGFG0

If you don't need more than 2 gram accuracy then go for it, seems decent.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Korwen posted:

I bought this exact thing at Costco. It works pretty! No complaints here. I'm sure there are more precise scales but I haven't had any issues.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I also have that Costco scale and am happy with it. I have a cheap smaller digital scale from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-pocket-scale-93543.html ) if I need more accurate measurements when doing crazy molecular gastronomy type recipes.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

I also have that Costco scale and am happy with it. I have a cheap smaller digital scale from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-pocket-scale-93543.html ) if I need more accurate measurements when doing crazy molecular gastronomy type recipes.

Am I the only one who is paranoid that buying a .01g accuracy scale put me on some DEA watchlist?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

deimos posted:

Am I the only one who is paranoid that buying a .01g accuracy scale put me on some DEA watchlist?
I bought a 1kg scale with .01g accuracy direct from some dude in Shenzhen while simultaneously buying a rug from an Iranian dude living in Belgium. My bank froze my account until I confirmed the charges, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if someone else decided it was worth looking into as well.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I'm thinking about pre-ordering this gadget: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seattlefoodgeek/sansaire-sous-vide-circulator-for-199

Sous Vide for $199 that actually circulates the water and doesn't take up much counter space!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LTBS posted:

I'm thinking about pre-ordering this gadget: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seattlefoodgeek/sansaire-sous-vide-circulator-for-199

Sous Vide for $199 that actually circulates the water and doesn't take up much counter space!
Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you do sous-vide cooking with a slow cooker?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

with a temp controller, yes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
slow cooker S-V wouldn't circulate either.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just throw a Robo-Stir in the pot if you want circulation

:v:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 7, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

LTBS posted:

Just as I was thinking of pre-ordering a Nomiku.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

LTBS posted:

Shitttttttttt, why did I have to see this??

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I haven't done a lot of experimental investigation, but I strongly suspect that at least for most home cooking having a well-insulated cooking vessel is more important than having `real' circulation. An IC will certainly minimise transient temperature differences across the cooking vessel, but I'm really skeptical about the practical significance of these over the life of a cook that's going to last somewhere between several hours and several days. Over that kind of timeframe, maintaining the thermal stability of the cooking fluid as a unit by proper insulation is going to be more important. If you pick up a surplus PolyScience unit it's probably going to come with an insulated reservoir so you get both. But with these clip-to-a-pot ICs? I'm sure they work, but they seem less well suited to typical sous vide tasks than something like a slow cooker with a PID or a SVS. An IC is almost certainly substantially less energy efficient as well.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm still waiting for someone to make one sub 100. The raw parts are 30bux for a PID, 10bux for a thermocouple, and 6 bux for heaters, 12bux for a pump, 15bux in switches and an enclosure. Maybe I should just kickstart the thing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to make one sub 100. The raw parts are 30bux for a PID, 10bux for a thermocouple, and 6 bux for heaters, 12bux for a pump, 15bux in switches and an enclosure. Maybe I should just kickstart the thing.
Keep in mind most consumer goods are sold at a 4x markup. Kickstarters are often more like 2x to 3x, which is more than fair given the initial development costs and time associated with getting everything sorted. If the $200 one works, great, but I never, ever, ever want to be an early adopter for electronics ever again after growing up in the nineties and constantly acquiring electronic crap that became garbage within a year.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

LTBS posted:

Well, I just bit the bullet. Time to sperg even harder on food. :spergin:

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

SubG posted:

I haven't done a lot of experimental investigation, but I strongly suspect that at least for most home cooking having a well-insulated cooking vessel is more important than having `real' circulation. An IC will certainly minimise transient temperature differences across the cooking vessel, but I'm really skeptical about the practical significance of these over the life of a cook that's going to last somewhere between several hours and several days. Over that kind of timeframe, maintaining the thermal stability of the cooking fluid as a unit by proper insulation is going to be more important. If you pick up a surplus PolyScience unit it's probably going to come with an insulated reservoir so you get both. But with these clip-to-a-pot ICs? I'm sure they work, but they seem less well suited to typical sous vide tasks than something like a slow cooker with a PID or a SVS. An IC is almost certainly substantially less energy efficient as well.

Most never use an insulated reservoir. A lot use a large polycarbonate bin.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Doh004 posted:

Well, I just bit the bullet. Time to sperg even harder on food. :spergin:

I've got a birthday coming up so I'm waiting until then, but yeah, I'm getting this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, there's also this $100 sous vide option from a couple pages back, which I just got in the mail and am about to test out over the next couple days:
http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375910271&sr=8-1&keywords=dorkfood

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Steve Yun posted:

Well, there's also this $100 sous vide option from a couple pages back, which I just got in the mail and am about to test out over the next couple days:
http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375910271&sr=8-1&keywords=dorkfood

That looks exactly like a Ranco plus a power cord.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

LTBS posted:

Most never use an insulated reservoir. A lot use a large polycarbonate bin.
The thermal conductivity of polycarbonate (at about 25 C) is around 2x10-1 W/mK. The thermal conductivity of stainless is around 2x101 W/mK, and for aluminium it's 2x102 W/mK. Which is to say a polycarbonate container of the same nominal dimensions as a stainless cooking pot will be a hundred times better at insulating the contents, and a thousand times better than an aluminium one.

Since most cooking works by applying an external heat source to the cooking vessel, it makes sense that most pots and pans would have good thermal conductivity---the ability to quickly and evenly distribute heat is desirable for most kinds of cooking. It just so happens that exactly the opposite is desirable for a puddle machine.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

SubG posted:

The thermal conductivity of polycarbonate (at about 25 C) is around 2x10-1 W/mK. The thermal conductivity of stainless is around 2x101 W/mK, and for aluminium it's 2x102 W/mK. Which is to say a polycarbonate container of the same nominal dimensions as a stainless cooking pot will be a hundred times better at insulating the contents, and a thousand times better than an aluminium one.

Nothing is preventing people from buying a polycarbonate container for $25 (or so) after they've wet their feet with an immersion circulator. The thermal conductivity of the container matters less with an immersion circulator than with a puddle machine.

Oh and a surplus bag of ping pong balls for a cover.

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 7, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

deimos posted:

Nothing is preventing people from buying a polycarbonate container for $25 (or so) after they've wet their feet with an immersion circulator. The thermal conductivity of the container matters less with an immersion circulator than with a puddle machine.
It matters less in the sense that an IC is better at distributing heat throughout the cooking vessel and so it can maintain the target temp while bleeding more into the environment. It matters more or less precisely the same amount in the sense that the amount of energy required to e.g. cook a piece of protein to a target doneness will be strictly higher. I mean I'm sure that one of those cheap ICs will work if you stick it in an aluminium pot, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a polycarbonate container but I wrap a fleece blanket around it for longer cooking items.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

Keep in mind most consumer goods are sold at a 4x markup. Kickstarters are often more like 2x to 3x, which is more than fair given the initial development costs and time associated with getting everything sorted. If the $200 one works, great, but I never, ever, ever want to be an early adopter for electronics ever again after growing up in the nineties and constantly acquiring electronic crap that became garbage within a year.

Sure, but my price out was for me buying from various sources single parts. I would think that bulk ordering the components could afford a serious discount on the per unit price.

uber
Apr 13, 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

No Wave posted:

Uhhh what? 4x markup? You got any data on that?

Serious eats reviewed the Sansaire and the initial response in highly positive: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/we-test-the-new-low-price-sansaire-sous-vide-ciculator-from-modernist-cuisine.html?ref=title

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Josh Lyman posted:

It's more of a pain--you need a temp controller, and ideally something to circulate the water like an aquarium pump that's pumping air through silicon tubing with holes in it (to make bubbles). An all in one unit like this is way more convenient.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

uber posted:

Uhhh what? 4x markup? You got any data on that?

Serious eats reviewed the Sansaire and the initial response in highly positive: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/we-test-the-new-low-price-sansaire-sous-vide-ciculator-from-modernist-cuisine.html?ref=title

Good good :woop:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Already funded.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

everybody posted:

Vitamix

I'm 99% sure it can handle it, but my girlfriend's mom wants to make sure it can handle blending the gently caress out of some meat. The meat is cooked pretty darn soft before it hits the blender, but it's still meat rather than fruits or veggies or some starch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

I'm 99% sure it can handle it, but my girlfriend's mom wants to make sure it can handle blending the gently caress out of some meat. The meat is cooked pretty darn soft before it hits the blender, but it's still meat rather than fruits or veggies or some starch.

it could grind bones to dust

• Locked thread