Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
rjmccall: Are modules ready for the general public yet? Our codebase is groaning under the weight of tons of header imports, and transitioning them to modules would probably be pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Has there been any talk of the iOS 7 release date yet? I don't know about you guys, but iOS 7 has broken my app far more than any iOS version in the past.

It's taking a lot of effort to re-design our UI and it doesn't help not knowing what the deadline is...

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Probably September.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 3, 2013

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Yeah, I'd imagine it'll be the same day the next iPhone is released, which is rumored to be September 6.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I imagine the new iPhone(s) won't be available until at least a little while after the announcement.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

rjmccall: Are modules ready for the general public yet? Our codebase is groaning under the weight of tons of header imports, and transitioning them to modules would probably be pretty sweet.

I'm sure there's some way to hack things to get modules from your project headers, but no, it won't be supported in Xcode 5. It's something we're actively working on.

PCH is your best bet.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I believe it is a pay product on Cydia, but is there an open-source equivalent to "WiFi Analyzer" for iOS?

I'm testing some access points, my only options seem to be hauling my heavy MacBook Pro around or bringing in an Android device to check signal strength and AP visibility.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

rjmccall posted:

I'm sure there's some way to hack things to get modules from your project headers, but no, it won't be supported in Xcode 5. It's something we're actively working on.

PCH is your best bet.
I'm not so sure. Can I give more detail over PM?

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 3, 2013

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I'm not so sure. Can I give more detail over PM?

Sure, or in email.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is there a way for a UIPageViewController to show one / both of the view controllers that are not the current page? Something like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

Is there a way for a UIPageViewController to show one / both of the view controllers that are not the current page? Something like this:

Not easily/at all, really. I tried to mock up something similar about a year ago and ended up using a UICollectionView. There's not really any built-in way to show more than one (or two in swipe mode) ViewController at a time using UIPageViewController, and it's probably not worth trying to hack in that functionality when getting better at working with CollectionViews is way more useful (at least that was my thought process).

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

ultramiraculous posted:

Not easily/at all, really.
Noooo. :( It was going to be such a nice touch. I don't think I'll do the collection view, since what I need is exactly a swipe page view that loops around on itself, and I'd spend all my time reinventing it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Can't a view controller be assembled off screen, or is that going to break whatever you've wrapped it in?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I haven't given up yet. I have a crazy idea that the new snapshots feature can help out. I can get a snapshot of the view when the willTransition delegate method fires, and add that to my main view controller. I just need to find where the pan gesture recognizer is so I can have it follow the same trajectory.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You have to consider that a forever-looping controller breaks the standard iOS navigation paradigm.

However, looking at the UIPageViewController docs, it looks like you can easily create a forever-looping controller by just skipping the call to -setViewControllers:direction:animated:completion: call and instead providing a data source that implements the -pageViewController:viewControllerBeforeViewController: and -pageViewController:viewControllerAfterViewController: methods.

edit: and doing your own custom container view controllers isn't that difficult, though snapshotting might be easier if you don't need the view controllers you're showing to be interactive, a la iOS 7's task switcher.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 4, 2013

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Oh yeah the forever looping controller was super easy. I only have three views to cycle, and won't be showing the page indicator view. It feels very natural.

The snapshot works really well. I just need to figure out how to follow the pan gesture.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
UIPageViewController has a gestureRecognizers property.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Except that it's only populated when the type is UIPageViewControllerTransitionStylePageCurl, and I'm using the scroll mode. I'm having a hard time finding them.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
According to the system status page, Xcode Automatic Configuration is finally back up. I can test on devices again!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Whoa. Accidentally dragged a file from the Finder into the simulator window, and it opens sim-Safari with the file. Don't know why that's useful, but hey. There it is.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It's the easiest way to get pictures into the simulator's photo albums.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Paging interface solved! Turns out regular scroll views have a pagingEnabled property that makes them scroll exactly like page views. I've populated a scroll view with my three view controllers' views, and all is looking great.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit
The Scroll View WWDC video from this year (and the ones from years past) have given me some of the biggest "holy poo poo" moments of any WWDC session I can think of. The takeaway: if you're wondering how to do something cool in your interface, the answer is probably a slightly-customized UIScrollView.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Going to watch the 2013 video now. Everyone said it rocked.

Fonts for navbar and tabbar titles and items still not changing for me in iOS 7 beta 5. I wonder what the holdup is.

Edit: well I guess that was my fault after all. You used to be able to set the font size to 0.0 in iOS6 and it would automatically size them. I guess doing that in iOS7 reverts to the default font.

lord funk fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 7, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Why didn't I save those sweet sweet WWDC videos when they were available...

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

They're back up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

lord funk posted:

They're back up.

Now that was a successful complaint!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Since updating to Xcode Beta 5, I've been getting this log every time I scroll something (for every scroll increment, no less):

code:
AssertMacros: queueEntry,  file: /SourceCache/IOKitUser/IOKitUser-920.1.11/hid.subproj/IOHIDEventQueue.c, line: 512
It's making my console pretty useless, and I have no idea what IOKitUser is or how to stop it.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

lord funk posted:

Since updating to Xcode Beta 5, I've been getting this log every time I scroll something (for every scroll increment, no less):

code:
AssertMacros: queueEntry,  file: /SourceCache/IOKitUser/IOKitUser-920.1.11/hid.subproj/IOHIDEventQueue.c, line: 512
It's making my console pretty useless, and I have no idea what IOKitUser is or how to stop it.

There's a workaround to this at https://devforums.apple.com/thread/197966?start=0&tstart=0. Apparently a lot of people are having this problem. The workaround just quiets that particular message by hooking into fprintf but doesn't actually solve the issue.

Edit: Stupid period in URL

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 8, 2013

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Awesome - thanks. Also when people whip up fixes like that it reminds me that I know absolutely nothing at all about anything.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

HiriseSoftware posted:

There's a workaround to this at https://devforums.apple.com/thread/197966?start=0&tstart=0. Apparently a lot of people are having this problem. The workaround just quiets that particular message by hooking into fprintf but doesn't actually solve the issue.

Nice!

That is some Grade-A hackage. Fishhook is great.

Also your link didn't work for me, so this one might work better: https://devforums.apple.com/message/861797#861797

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

So speaking of WWDC videos, I'm looking for a session where they tint an image different ways, from masking it completely to keeping white areas white. I cannot find that session (or the method to do it) for the life of me.

Side note: when I was there, I saw a few dudes who took notes all throughout the sessions. I thought bah! Why would you take notes if you can just grab the video / slides later? Now I realize that it's a drat good idea so you can find the important info later after 3 dozen sessions.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

So speaking of WWDC videos, I'm looking for a session where they tint an image different ways, from masking it completely to keeping white areas white. I cannot find that session (or the method to do it) for the life of me.

Side note: when I was there, I saw a few dudes who took notes all throughout the sessions. I thought bah! Why would you take notes if you can just grab the video / slides later? Now I realize that it's a drat good idea so you can find the important info later after 3 dozen sessions.

Was it not the Core Image Effects one?

Notes are pretty important. I generally take notes of things I find interesting, because that's usually what I want to find later.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

No, it was for the standard UI tint color stuff. But now I wonder if I imagined it...

I thought it might be #214 Customizing Your App's Appearance for iOS 7, which has tons of tint stuff, but not the masking feature I may have dreamed.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

No, it was for the standard UI tint color stuff. But now I wonder if I imagined it...

I thought it might be #214 Customizing Your App's Appearance for iOS 7, which has tons of tint stuff, but not the masking feature I may have dreamed.

CALayers might be the solution to your problem...

You can mask the CALayer of a view pretty easily. You'd have a UIImageView and you'd get it's .layer and add a mask to it. There's a lot of examples on Google about it. I know you can tint CAReplicatorLayers (which are kinda cool), but I don't know about layers in general.

CoreImage/vImage will also do everything you want, but it sounds like it might be overkill. It's nice stuff, though.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

One of these days I want to dive into Core Image, but you're right that this is overkill for this application. It just means I have two image views instead of one (one for fill, one for outline). Frankly could have been done with actual Quartz drawing, but even that's overkill for this:

The fun part is that the cell picks up the app window tint color change with - (void)tintColorDidChange, applies an alpha change, and updates the image views.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit
It's like they knew we were talking about ScrollViews - objc.io's new issue is out, and it's all about Views: http://www.objc.io/issue-3/

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Public Service Announcement: there's a new private (i.e. never viewable to the public) subforum for project logs called project.log. If anyone in here wants to share their poo poo, go make a thread!

Personal Service Editorial: objc.io is good!

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
How do you guys handle waiting on multiple async calls? For example, in my app I need to fetch a bunch of data at once from a few separate REST routes. I could do callback chaining, but that'd add an extra 300-400ms to the wait, so I'd rather shoot them all out at once. Prob is that ideally I wouldn't want to manually implement logic to check when all the calls have returned, although it's probably trivial given that the callbacks are all in main queue.

Is there anything like a properly working promises framework out there where I could just wait for a collection of promises to complete? How do you guys handle these scenarios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
ReactiveCocoa happens to have a fairly nice implementation of futures/promises, but it's not at all the point of the library. I haven't been able to find any other reasonable Obj-C options, so before ReactiveCocoa I just used C++11's stuff.