Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Anybody have any experience with DigitalRev? Looks pretty janky but they're $70 cheaper than anyone anywhere on the Sigma 30mm that I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Wario In Real Life posted:

Anybody have any experience with DigitalRev? Looks pretty janky but they're $70 cheaper than anyone anywhere on the Sigma 30mm that I want.

They're fine. Save some money. Kai rules.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The thing to keep in mind with digitalrev is that they're likely grey market, so you might not be able to send it to sigma USA for repair.

I'm not sure what sigma's stance is with that though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How do you pick an aftermarket hood for a lens? That is to say, what should I be looking at if I want to buy an effective hood for a Konica AR 40mm f/1.8?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Does the front rotate while focusing? If so, you'll need to get a cup-style hood. Otherwise, a petal style hood will work. Unless you can find a hood specifically for that lens, you'll probably need one that screws into the filter ring. As for size, I believe you own a NEX, right? 40mm * 1.5 crop factor = 60mm, which is close enough to 50mm that a hood for a 50mm lens should work fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks. Wasn't sure how the criteria for hoods worked. Yeah, I'm on a NEX and the front doesn't rotate. Konica originally shipped it with a round hood but I think people have used neat looking square hoods too. Trying to find something good looking but that won't gently caress up the lens' usefulness :)

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Speed holes in the hood make the lens go faster.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Beastruction posted:

I live my life a quarter f stop at a time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wife got my instax there. No issues.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beastruction posted:

Thinking about some baller racing stripes

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Get a round hood. You have no way of lining up a petal hood when the hood screws on to the filter threads. The length of the hood isn't super critical. There are usually only one or two types of screw-on hoods available in threads like 49mm or whatever anyway. I use the same kind of hood for both my 28mm and 50mm manual lenses because for me they're more for physical protection than actual glare reduction.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

They are amazing (in my limited experience). Not sure where you are, but last Friday morning I ordered a lens, shipped from Hong Kong that day, arrived on my desk on Monday morning in Australia. I've heard of people having stuff from them held up in Customs because of GST (sales tax) issues, but that goes for anything imported to Australia, and boxes marked with "digital" anything that feel heavy and expensive will attract more attention:

To compare, JB HiFi (local store) took 3 days to ship a Nikon D600 domestically and then I opened the box and it was a Canon 600D (which to their credit they fixed up in store with no hassles)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I'm in Australia too and ordered a Canon 15-85 from them. It was delivered within about 3-4 days with no issues

(I assume this will always be the case though. Companies like that only get a poo poo reputation when something goes wrong. I can't comment on that because nothing has gone wrong.)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I am on my kick to replace all my lenses with primes, but I have found that I really just like shooting with my 50mm. It makes me think more about framing, etc. However, I am not crazy about the nifty fifty due to the focus ring and a few other things. I have read super mixed reviews on the Canon 50mm 1.4 in that it seems to have AF issues after while (some times MF not even working). How is the Sigma 50 1.4 compared to this one?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
A good copy of the 50 1.4 performs quite admirably- but that is one of the lenses created prior to Sigma stepping up their game immensely. So I wouldn't buy a used copy unless that user gives you test shots and has a decent reputation - because many people like to foist poo poo copies of that lens around buy/sell forums.

e:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=367&sort=7&cat=38&page=2

Good copies are good, and mediocre copies are aplenty.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lensrentals.com just posted their latest repair data stats: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08/lensrentals-repair-data-2012-2013 Always an interesting read. I'm glad to see that Nikon is trying to not be so lovely on the service side of things.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

powderific posted:

Lensrentals.com just posted their latest repair data stats: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08/lensrentals-repair-data-2012-2013 Always an interesting read. I'm glad to see that Nikon is trying to not be so lovely on the service side of things.

Olympus nooooooooooooooooooo

(my 60/2.8 has been in repair since the 18th of last month, so that number for olympus isn't shocking to me).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
This is a stupid question, why are lenses "copies"? Just because the nature of the manufacturing/assembly leads to minute imperfections from lens to lens that affects final quality?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SeaborneClink posted:

This is a stupid question, why are lenses "copies"? Just because the nature of the manufacturing/assembly leads to minute imperfections from lens to lens that affects final quality?

Yup. Quality control is usually a mass production thing, if it's better than threshold X it goes out. Some companies have pretty tight control, others have some variation between the quality of two samples of the lens, some crazy places hand-test every lens. Kilfitt was famous for that back in the day.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 7, 2013

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Shmoogy posted:

A good copy of the 50 1.4 performs quite admirably- but that is one of the lenses created prior to Sigma stepping up their game immensely. So I wouldn't buy a used copy unless that user gives you test shots and has a decent reputation - because many people like to foist poo poo copies of that lens around buy/sell forums.

e:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=367&sort=7&cat=38&page=2

Good copies are good, and mediocre copies are aplenty.

Am I crazy or do they have a new 50mm version which would be the equivalent of this? Could have sworn I saw one, but could be totally wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Canon-Digital-Cameras-Black/dp/B00BQXL8BU/ref=sr_1_18?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1375851411&sr=1-18

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bob Mundon posted:

Am I crazy or do they have a new 50mm version which would be the equivalent of this? Could have sworn I saw one, but could be totally wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Canon-Digital-Cameras-Black/dp/B00BQXL8BU/ref=sr_1_18?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1375851411&sr=1-18

It's probably the same as the old lens .. it seems to be the DG version is the "new" model with the DC being the "we kinda took a stab at it again but mostly just put it in a new case" effort.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

I honestly don't know about that - I haven't really been in the market for a 50 in like two years, so things may have changed. I do feel like I would have remembered hearing about it, but it's just as likely that they have improved it as part of their new awesome lens series.

(They're doing really good work now a days, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they tried to fix some of the problems with it)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So is Canon's 50 1.4 as bad as they say or are the issues overblown?

Eh nevermind .. I now see why it breaks as easily as some say.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 7, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
A little bit of both- there are issues with it, but like most things on the internet, you generally only hear complaints, and lots of them are filled with hyperbole.

I think that the Sigma 50 1.4 is a better lens, but the Canon really isn't as bad as people say it is. Most of the people that complain about those lenses are pixel peepers - but the focus motor problems are very real, albeit less frequent than the internet would have you believe.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Shmoogy posted:

A little bit of both- there are issues with it, but like most things on the internet, you generally only hear complaints, and lots of them are filled with hyperbole.

I think that the Sigma 50 1.4 is a better lens, but the Canon really isn't as bad as people say it is. Most of the people that complain about those lenses are pixel peepers - but the focus motor problems are very real, albeit less frequent than the internet would have you believe.

Mine really isn't concerning the IQ, but more along the lines of longevity. There is a pretty good post about it here with some nice pictures and description of the Micro USM motor used, looks like Canon needs to step it up a bit.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=989807

Edit : Basically, park it at infinity when you store it seems to be the key phrase to keeping the lens in good shape.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 7, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I am looking at using an ND filter. Some of the stuff I've read suggests that I should meter, then calculate how to adjust my shutter and attach the ND filter. Does the camera's meter not work with the ND filter on? Why not?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

powderific posted:

"Camera bodies, both SLR and mirrorless, had the lowest repair rates we’ve seen in 5 years." Best thing to take from that, I think. Good to see Tamron doing well though.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Dren posted:

I am looking at using an ND filter. Some of the stuff I've read suggests that I should meter, then calculate how to adjust my shutter and attach the ND filter. Does the camera's meter not work with the ND filter on? Why not?

It'll meter, but because of the decreased light amount of light coming through, it can be difficult to compose and focus, especially with something like a 6 or 10 stop ND. Plus, if you're doing *really* long exposure shots in bulb mode, it's easier to snap a few test shots without the filter and calculate based on those numbers than it is to chimp and adjust a 10-minute exposure.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

bisticles posted:

It'll meter, but because of the decreased light amount of light coming through, it can be difficult to compose and focus, especially with something like a 6 or 10 stop ND. Plus, if you're doing *really* long exposure shots in bulb mode, it's easier to snap a few test shots without the filter and calculate based on those numbers than it is to chimp and adjust a 10-minute exposure.

I'm looking to use it for a timelapse of a sunrise over the ocean so I just want it to meter, I'll compose before I start using it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dren posted:

I'm looking to use it for a timelapse of a sunrise over the ocean so I just want it to meter, I'll compose before I start using it.

For sunrise stuff you might want to be bulb ramping your exposures, and lord knows how to square that with a 10stop ND :o:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

For sunrise stuff you might want to be bulb ramping your exposures, and lord knows how to square that with a 10stop ND :o:

In the video you linked he explains that the promo systems controller can compensate for an ND filter. And you can rent a promo systems controller from lensrentals instead of dropping the $300 on a new one so this might be an option.

Is the idea of bulb ramping that you pick a start shutter speed, an end shutter speed and a duration, then the controller gives you a nice, even variation of shutter across your entire duration?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dren posted:

In the video you linked he explains that the promo systems controller can compensate for an ND filter. And you can rent a promo systems controller from lensrentals instead of dropping the $300 on a new one so this might be an option.

Is the idea of bulb ramping that you pick a start shutter speed, an end shutter speed and a duration, then the controller gives you a nice, even variation of shutter across your entire duration?

Oops, missed that :o:

Basically how it works, plus I think some controllers can do 'ease in' / 'ease out' that gives a curve rather than a linear change over the run... I looked into this stuff a while back and figured it was beyond my patience threshold :)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I think that if I use an ND filter and bulb ramping I'll get smooth ocean water and a nice night to day transition.

But if I use bulb ramping I sacrifice the ability to exposure bracket for HDR so that I can get a nice balanced sunrise shot where the sun isn't totally blown out. I think I also sacrifice the ability sync a strobe, which I wanted to do in the foreground so that I could make sure my foreground subject is well lit before the sun comes up. And I'm not sure if a bunch of camera metered HDR stuff would be workable in post. (HDR blend 32bit tiffs in photoshop then load into lightroom with LRTimelapse?)

Then again, if I try to HDR the ND is probably right out. I feel like 3 shot HDR with 1, 2, 4 second exposures of the ocean would get really messy looking in the waves and possibly the sky as well depending on how windy it is.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So I settled on the 40mm 2.8 for the time being. I want a nice 50, so I am going to wait later to get the 1.2 if nothing better develops with the 1.4 on Sigma/Canon.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So I settled on the 40mm 2.8 for the time being. I want a nice 50, so I am going to wait later to get the 1.2 if nothing better develops with the 1.4 on Sigma/Canon.

If you decide to go with the 50 1.2 make certain that you are familiar with, and familiar with how to work around the focus shift. Fantastic lens, but it also has issues (inherent in the design of it).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Shmoogy posted:

If you decide to go with the 50 1.2 make certain that you are familiar with, and familiar with how to work around the focus shift. Fantastic lens, but it also has issues (inherent in the design of it).

Reading up on it now .. It will be quite a ways down the road if I do purchase .. a rental would be good before buying I am sure.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

My brain added a zero to your 40mm, so I was wondering how on god's earth does someone 'settle' on a the beast that is the 400mm f2.8 :gonk:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Miko posted:

I was wondering how on god's earth does someone 'settle' on a the beast that is the 400mm f2.8 :gonk:
Put it facedown on the ground and sit on the camera body, instant comfort in the field.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Thinking about selling my 35L and 85/1.8 and picking up a cheap 50 since I rarely ever use my dSLR nowadays, especially since I got an X100S.

Is the EF 50/1.4 still the best not-super-cheap-but-not-super-balling-out-of-control option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

terriyaki posted:

Thinking about selling my 35L and 85/1.8 and picking up a cheap 50 since I rarely ever use my dSLR nowadays, especially since I got an X100S.

Is the EF 50/1.4 still the best not-super-cheap-but-not-super-balling-out-of-control option?

If I was just messing around with a film body I'd probably go with the 50/1.8 purely for cost.

The Sigma 50/1.4 is reputed to be a bit better in image and build quality. The EF 50/1.4 has a (probably overblown) reputation for having the motor crap out sometimes.

I wonder when we will see advanced 50mm-equivalent designs like Sigma's 30mm f/1.4 Art brought up to full frame lenses.