Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I haven't seen this mentioned -- anyone know if two people can share the PSN version? I know Sony cut back the number of simultaneous copies from 5 to 2 a while ago, but I remember Final Fight prevented the two copies from even running at the time.

Might make buying two copies slightly less absurd if I share it with my brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

ApeEscape posted:

I'm thinking about purchasing this game for PS3.
My only question is how is the speed of the game? It seems to move sluggish in every gameplay video I see. What could the game speed be compared with?

Do you mean framerate or pacing? Framerate is actually really high until you get a TON of stuff happening on screen, and then it slows a little. I'm talking about the Vita version, though, so I'm sure it's way better on PS3.

As for pacing, dungeons are really fast (10-15 minutes maybe?), and fights are typically very large and hectic. Though in between fights it gives you all the time you need to look around and whatnot. I haven't run into anything that makes me go faster than I want to, and I don't think it factors speed into your score (right?), so you can pretty much do things as quickly or slowly as you want to.

ApeEscape
Apr 23, 2008

blat blat blat posted:

Do you mean framerate or pacing? Framerate is actually really high until you get a TON of stuff happening on screen, and then it slows a little. I'm talking about the Vita version, though, so I'm sure it's way better on PS3.

As for pacing, dungeons are really fast (10-15 minutes maybe?), and fights are typically very large and hectic. Though in between fights it gives you all the time you need to look around and whatnot. I haven't run into anything that makes me go faster than I want to, and I don't think it factors speed into your score (right?), so you can pretty much do things as quickly or slowly as you want to.

That's good to know about those two aspects of the game, and I thank you for the input.

I guess what I was asking is more along the lines of character movement. They seem to be sluggishly slow. I guess to compare the character movement/actions seems to be slower than a game such as Castle Crashers.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

blat blat blat posted:

There is a time bonus reflected in your final score, but it's fairly miniscule.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

teethgrinder posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned -- anyone know if two people can share the PSN version? I know Sony cut back the number of simultaneous copies from 5 to 2 a while ago, but I remember Final Fight prevented the two copies from even running at the time.

Might make buying two copies slightly less absurd if I share it with my brother.

I'm sharing with my brother actually. We haven't played online together yet, but both of us have been playing solo so far no problem.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I would like to say "gently caress the minotaur". Its short little jumps can damage you, and it can knock you down and then play hopscotch on your face.

I recoiled from the image of grilled minotaur tongue in the artbook, but I will gladly feed that bastard its own tongue, now, after fighting it.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

ApeEscape posted:

That's good to know about those two aspects of the game, and I thank you for the input.

I guess what I was asking is more along the lines of character movement. They seem to be sluggishly slow. I guess to compare the character movement/actions seems to be slower than a game such as Castle Crashers.

Oh, well the walking speed is definitely slower than Castle Crashers, but he running speed is pretty fast. I find I just jump and dodge around the screen, though, don't really walk or run much unless I'm moving from one screen to another. One jump or a couple of dodges will usually move you from one side of the screen to the other, unless you're fighting really big stuff. And the characters + animations are fast and responsive, doesn't have that slow-ish lumbering feeling of Dark Souls or anything like that.

ApeEscape
Apr 23, 2008

blat blat blat posted:

Oh, well the walking speed is definitely slower than Castle Crashers, but he running speed is pretty fast. I find I just jump and dodge around the screen, though, don't really walk or run much unless I'm moving from one screen to another. One jump or a couple of dodges will usually move you from one side of the screen to the other, unless you're fighting really big stuff. And the characters + animations are fast and responsive, doesn't have that slow-ish lumbering feeling of Dark Souls or anything like that.

Very nice to hear that. Thanks for the info! I'll most likely be buying this game now.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Does this game do difficulty levels like Diablo-likes in that each time you play the game you start it over again on the next highest difficulty? If not, how is the replayability?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

How do you open the blocked path in Bilbaron Fortress? It says you can bomb it but I don't think any of the enemies drop bombs.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I edited the thing I posted about Dwarf throws because I was wrong about how one of the options worked.

Gyre posted:

How do you open the blocked path in Bilbaron Fortress? It says you can bomb it but I don't think any of the enemies drop bombs.

Some of the goblins drop bombs, I think. I'm a Dwarf with Bomb Satchel though so I've never had an issue there.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Gyre posted:

If you're talking about the one for the quest, there are a pair of goblins that carry bombs right before it; make sure you kill them before they throw them, and snap the bombs up quickly if you have AI allies.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Schubalts posted:

I would like to say "gently caress the minotaur". Its short little jumps can damage you, and it can knock you down and then play hopscotch on your face.

I recoiled from the image of grilled minotaur tongue in the artbook, but I will gladly feed that bastard its own tongue, now, after fighting it.

The minotaur was the first boss to actually be a rather difficult challenge IMO. Though it still doesn't hold a candle to trying to fight the Gazer as a Sorc with two sorc AIs as backup :v:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Gyre posted:

There is actually a bomb spawned there on the left side of the screen a bit. Alternatively, you can use spells or one of the many crossbows in the area to kill the 2 goblins that spawn on the stairs right before that wall before they toss their bombs at you.

That one wasn't too bad, I don't know how anyone is supposed to figure out that Red Yellow Dark Blue Purple puzzle without looking it up though.

E: this is what I get for leaving a post open while I get a phone call.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

OxMan posted:

That one wasn't too bad, I don't know how anyone is supposed to figure out that Red Yellow Dark Blue Purple puzzle without looking it up though.

I just got the answer to this one as part of a quest, so that's probably how you're supposed to figure it out.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Most if not all of the "secret" areas are told to you by quests, so if you can't figure something out right away don't worry.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Does burying stuff ever get you items? I've buried like 20 bones and yet to get a prompt for anything.

Also, do you have to beat the game for the cooking and online gameplay to kick in?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Does burying stuff ever get you items? I've buried like 20 bones and yet to get a prompt for anything.

Also, do you have to beat the game for the cooking and online gameplay to kick in?

It gets you items that the buried person was using rarely, but if it's equipment it can't be repaired.

Online co-op doesn't unlock until a majority of the main story is beaten the first time. You might be able to get cooking minigames with a couch co-op player, but I haven't tried myself.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So online is story-gated and not character level-gated, right?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Pushing select when you are editing your name let's you mess around with the size and rotation of the letters.

Kind of a neat feature, never really seen this before in a game like this. You can make your name look goofy.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Ah geez, went afk and came backt o see that the elf's idle animation is playing with squirrels and one's on her head! Too cute haha

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

I played as an Elf for a couple of hours last night. I'm not doing much damage, but I think it's because I'm having too much fun juggling with her kicks and not shooting my arrows often enough. She also goes down pretty quickly, so I need to learn to dodge better. The boss of the third area kicked the crap out of me, and I had to use both of my spare lives to get through it.

The art and the music are both so good. I can't believe how high the production values are.

The pointer is annoying. I wish just hovering over something would activate it, instead of needing to hover and press L1, hoping that the cursor hasn't flown off in a random direction before I manage to press L1.

I should also read the instruction booklet. I still don't know how to eat food.

It takes some getting used to. You just don't do much damage with your basic attacks, and it can make you feel really weak (though you can juggle the hell out of just about anything). My suggestion: Get the Rapid Fire (or whatever skill it is that lets you shoot more than one arrow in succession) and learn to own the hell out of tough enemies with a quick burst of arrows.

After I got the hang of doing that, I can pick off just about any enemy I choose on the screen before my brother on his dwarf can react. It seems early on that you're supposed to rely on charged arrow shots, but when playing with other players, very rarely do you have time to do that on anything but bosses.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
Does evasion do anything for a wizard? Seems like I can already evade as many times in a row as I want, as long as I have mana.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

blat blat blat posted:

Does evasion do anything for a wizard? Seems like I can already evade as many times in a row as I want, as long as I have mana.

Not really. You could link teleports a few frames faster, it's not a good use of points.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So the 4 combo flurry for the amazon, what exactly does that do? I'm not really noticing anything...

Selane
May 19, 2006

Man, for a bulky guy, the Fighter sure is nimble. He can double jump and has a quadruple airdash. :stare:

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

blat blat blat posted:

I'm questioning if or not that is a feature of this game. Random esoteric information but... often the slowdown was intentional in older arcade games. The boards could have been clocked higher (and often were for different games) but were deliberately left where they were at so things could slow down. For beaters and shmups, that sort of stuff is at times intentional. So when you're drowning in poo poo to keep track of, the game slows down with it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haven't seen anyone mention this ... how the gently caress do I use runestones "first"? Attempting to draw them (PS3 at the moment) seems futile.

Also ... feels a bit old school, but I wrote out all the recipes into a notebook. I wouldn't mind normally, but I'd be taking the Vita on transit and I have no memory for this kind of thing.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I just tap the runes and then select one from under my character. Didn't know there was another way to do it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but when you look at the list in Lucain's Tower, there are tonnes of recipe showing the stone before the etchings. Maybe the order doesn't matter.

edit: ...that does appear to be the case. Order doesn't matter.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 8, 2013

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

teethgrinder posted:

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but when you look at the list in Lucain's Tower, there are tonnes of recipe showing the stone before the etchings. Maybe the order doesn't matter.

Yeah, order doesn't matter.

Selane
May 19, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Maybe the order doesn't matter.

It doesn't.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Loving the Dwarf. Fellow dwarves, what skills did you end up taking? I like to throw dudes at other dudes and just walk straight into damage without giving a gently caress.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
This game really shines when chaining dungeons, the "just one more" syndrome combined with equipment degradation. Just did a set of like 6 with some random guy, it was pretty righteous.

I also like how most of the bosses have their own little gimmick, it really spices things up. Except the door, gently caress that guy.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Defeated the ancient dragon. :eyepop: I have kicked a dragon in the face, and then in the butt, and have survived to live to tell it.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Has anyone tried Cross-saving from PS3 to Vita yet? I've been trying for a while now, and my download will slowly go up and freeze at around 9% before cancelling the download (even at 100% Signal Strength, placing my vita inches from my wireless router)

I just want to know if it's even possible, or if the servers are just wonky at the moment with the launch jitters.

EDIT: nevermind... of course it works after I post on the internet

Reverof
Aug 9, 2004
In fire.
I made a list of the Rune combinations for reference. Should be printer friendly too. Grab it here:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I love how much like the end boss of Tower of Doom the Warlock is. Yelling out his spell names and everything. :allears:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What is "Dungeon Chaining"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Feenix posted:

What is "Dungeon Chaining"?

After you beat the Lost Woods level, you unlock the Stable in town. At this point when you venture out, you have 2 options after finishing a level. Either continue on to a random level, or return to town. Continuing gives a bonus to score, loot, or gold.

So, chaining dungeons is playing level after level without returning to town. Story wise the game explains it some.

• Locked thread